Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2023, 02:31 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default Traveling

We are traveling back home from vacation as I type this … hubby does 100% of the driving. I am a nervous passenger. Our vehicle has a handle above the passenger side window that I am constantly grabbing. Hubby calls it my “oh sh&t” handle lol. I am better to just not watch when we are on the Interstate traveling 80 mph in traffic. I’ve not always been like this, it’s definitely gotten worse as I get older. I should add that we live in a very rural area so traffic and interstates and freeways are not something we are used to.

Anyone else a nervous passenger? Do you take turns driving when you going distances? Do you live in an area where interstates and traffic are just the norm?
Old 06-17-2023, 03:02 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I have driven in Kuwait City. Not much makes me too nervous traffic-wise after I drove through that. haha My husband and I take turns. He's a nervous passenger and drives me nuts. I am chill as a passenger. I live in an area with some traffic and drive the interstate daily, but it is not a major city bad, just city bad.
Old 06-17-2023, 03:06 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Jill, I can completely empathize. I live in a large Metroplex so I'm used to highways and high speeds, but my husband is a much more aggressive driver than I am. He's got a much better sense of depth perception than me, so whereas I like to leave lots of space between myself and the cars in front of me, he has a preternatural sense of just how much space he needs to change lanes and wiggle between two other vehicles. It makes me so nervous at times!

I've gotten into the habit of simply closing my eyes when he drives like that. After all, there's nothing I can do from the passenger seat, right? It really irritated him for a while until one day I said, "My heart trusts you not to place me in danger, but my eyes sometimes disagree. So I'm just shutting them off for a while."

As for the "Oh $%!t" handle - my mom actually ripped one out of the ceiling of a car in Germany when my father was driving too fast and too close to the edge of the road as they wound their way up a mountain. When you can look outside your window and see a sheer drop-off inches away, and he's driving 120kph? <shudder>

Prayers for your safe travels home, Jill - hope you had a fantastic vacation!

Old 06-17-2023, 03:36 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My husband is a nervous passenger - but not because anyone is a bad driver, he just prefers to be the one driving.

I haven't been a nervous passenger until teaching my son how to drive. We live in a smaller city, but the interstate that goes through our city is horrible. There are always multiple accidents, especially at the exit near our house. We hear sirens multiple times a day. We also have a ton of roundabouts and people still do not know how to drive through them - it's not going through them at 30mph.
Old 06-18-2023, 03:08 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

My husband is the main driver when we travel. Especially if it’s overseas and on the ‘wrong side of the road’. He is a very experienced driver and I trust him completely. I get car sick so he knows how to drive to stop that from happening. Safe travels home Jill xx
Old 06-18-2023, 08:23 AM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

There are times when my husband loses his cool and drives so badly that it gets me on the edge. So I have to remind him that he is making my stomach churns and that he should take it down one or two notches.
Old 06-18-2023, 01:45 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Mark is the main driver when we go out, but on long trips we'll take turns. When we were in LA though I was having none of it - none of this 8 lanes in each direction thing, I had to close my eyes I got too nervous lol

Old 06-18-2023, 03:57 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by angiekey View Post
Jill, I can completely empathize. I live in a large Metroplex so I'm used to highways and high speeds, but my husband is a much more aggressive driver than I am. He's got a much better sense of depth perception than me, so whereas I like to leave lots of space between myself and the cars in front of me, he has a preternatural sense of just how much space he needs to change lanes and wiggle between two other vehicles. It makes me so nervous at times!

I've gotten into the habit of simply closing my eyes when he drives like that. After all, there's nothing I can do from the passenger seat, right? It really irritated him for a while until one day I said, "My heart trusts you not to place me in danger, but my eyes sometimes disagree. So I'm just shutting them off for a while."

As for the "Oh $%!t" handle - my mom actually ripped one out of the ceiling of a car in Germany when my father was driving too fast and too close to the edge of the road as they wound their way up a mountain. When you can look outside your window and see a sheer drop-off inches away, and he's driving 120kph? <shudder>

Prayers for your safe travels home, Jill - hope you had a fantastic vacation!
I am glad I'm not alone in being nervous! My husband is a very safe driver (he has a CDL so has driven in all sorts of situations and weather, etc). I too close my eyes, or look at my phone!!

We made it home yesterday ... it was a LONG day - lol. Didn't plan on being home until today, but once we were north of Indianaoplis, there was hardly any traffic on the Interstates to northern IL, so we booked.
Old 06-18-2023, 03:59 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
My husband is a nervous passenger - but not because anyone is a bad driver, he just prefers to be the one driving.

I haven't been a nervous passenger until teaching my son how to drive. We live in a smaller city, but the interstate that goes through our city is horrible. There are always multiple accidents, especially at the exit near our house. We hear sirens multiple times a day. We also have a ton of roundabouts and people still do not know how to drive through them - it's not going through them at 30mph.
Oh I remember those days of being the passenger when our son was getting his license! Scary! That has to be a bit alarming to hear sirens multiple times a day!!
Old 06-18-2023, 04:00 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoCee View Post
My husband is the main driver when we travel. Especially if it’s overseas and on the ‘wrong side of the road’. He is a very experienced driver and I trust him completely. I get car sick so he knows how to drive to stop that from happening. Safe travels home Jill xx
I'm sorry you get car sick JoCee! That cannot be fun!!!

Ya know, I do trust my hubby 100%, but still just cannot relax!!
Old 06-18-2023, 04:01 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nietis View Post
There are times when my husband loses his cool and drives so badly that it gets me on the edge. So I have to remind him that he is making my stomach churns and that he should take it down one or two notches.
Oh, my hubby tends to get irate when people are not driving well - he is pretty aggressive at times as well!
Old 06-18-2023, 04:02 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjscraps View Post
Mark is the main driver when we go out, but on long trips we'll take turns. When we were in LA though I was having none of it - none of this 8 lanes in each direction thing, I had to close my eyes I got too nervous lol
HA! I cannot even imagine how bad the LA traffic must be these days! We were there several years ago and I made the comment to my hubby that is was so "nice" there - his first comment was "Yea, but you aren't driving"! LOL!
Old 06-20-2023, 08:51 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I live in a big city so I am used to the traffic and fast speeds...hwys that go 70+ etc but I am not a fan. Hubby does most of the driving when we travel and if we are in our car my oldest son will drive as well. I get nervous on the two lane highways and hubby passes but for the most part I am cool