Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2023, 04:08 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default Movie Suggestions...

I am going to have two evenings/nights alone next week. Well, I'll still have our 100 pound furry fella and 10 feathery gals. (Our dog and chickens.) I'm sending the guys off on a little camping trip without me. (They've never done a trip without me.) This will be my chance to watch a movie or two that I wouldn't normally watch with the men of the house. We don't have regular TV (or dish or cable) or streaming stuff. I do have VUDU available.

So... what should I watch?

If I still had it, I'd curl up and watch a bunch of movies on the Hallmark channel. lol If I can't decide on something on VUDU, I'll dig in a box in the basement for a few Hallmark DVDs or an Anne of Green Gables set that I believe are down there. If that search fails, I'll pull out Pollyanna or Little Women. lol You might be able to tell the style of movies I'm interested in. I don't want any murder mysteries or horror. And I'm not looking for rated R stuff. I haven't been to the theaters in a loooong time so there may have been something out in the last 10 years that I've missed out on. lol

I could just pull out some of our Fred Astaire DVDs or something like that but I thought I might look for something I've never seen.

Any suggestions? VUDU might have really old classics, so those suggestions are great along with more modern ones.
Old 06-24-2023, 07:22 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm not sure if it's streamable online ... but my one of my favorite classics is Rodger's and Hammerstein's "State Fair" (1945). I stumbled across it MANY years ago and loved it. I mentioned it to my mom and she said that had been one of her favorites as well. (It's based in Iowa, which was where she grew up). Makes my heart happy every time I watch it. Enjoy your "quiet time"!
Old 06-24-2023, 07:36 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Oh, I love that movie, too! If I hadn't already seen it, I'd check it out, for sure. Or if I don't come up with something else, I might check it out again. lol Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 06-24-2023, 08:23 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I love one called The Enchanted April. It’s older, but so lovely and good. And I just watched Mrs. Harris Goes to Paris, which was delightful and fun! My favorite old movie is The Philadelphia Story— can’t go wrong with Cary Grant, Jimmy Stewart and Katherine Hepburn!

Old 06-24-2023, 08:36 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Oooh, I read The Enchanted April. I'll look to see if VUDU has that movie available. Mrs. Harris Goes to Paris sounds interesting and I don't think I've seen The Philadelphia Story. Thanks for the suggestions. Off to see if VUDU has any of those....
Old 06-24-2023, 08:40 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

All three of those movies are available on VUDU. lol
Hmmm...just how many movies do I plan to watch while they're off camping? Decisions, decisions.
Old 06-24-2023, 09:36 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Find all the rom-coms you can find and watch as many as possible. You may never have this chance again!!!! lol

Old 06-24-2023, 09:55 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiana View Post
Find all the rom-coms you can find and watch as many as possible. You may never have this chance again!!!! lol
lol So true! I've been suggesting they go camping without me for a few years now. It's finally planned! I'll have to take my laptop out of the sunroom. It's 3 sides of huge windows with no blinds or curtains. The back of the house is 2nd story high (basement below) so nobody could be standing there looking in, but the big black windows at night would creep me out being alone. I'll hole up in the den where the TV is and scrap there and watch movies. I foresee lots of popcorn.
Old 06-26-2023, 12:02 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm still up for suggestions if anyone else has any.
I've got a few more days to think about it.
Old 06-26-2023, 03:53 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We just watched Sweet Home Alabama with Reese Witherspoon. It's one of my favorite movies. Grease and The Sound of Music are good ones.
Old 06-27-2023, 09:56 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I don't know if you like Jane Austen, but I really love the BBC Pride & Prejudice and I also like Emma (the one with Gwyneth Paltrow). Princess Bride is always a good choice. Maybe you could drag out your Hallmark Christmas movies (or get them from the library) and have your own Christmas in July celebration (with some treats you normally only have at Christmas). My two favorite Hallmark Christmas movies are The Nine Lives of Christmas and a Very Merry Mixup. Have fun!
Old 06-27-2023, 11:45 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I vote for a re-watch of Anne of Green Gables. I discovered the books late in life, like last year, but I totally loved them, so watching the movies would make my heart happy.
Old 06-27-2023, 05:29 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, Sound of Music, Oklahoma (just fast forward through 1 song- it's annoying), Cheaper by the Dozen, Newsies, National Treasure, Princess Bride. Not sure any of these will be available to watch. You can always check some movies out of your local library too (ours has a good selection of kids/family movies.)
Old 06-27-2023, 07:53 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Thanks for all your suggestions, ladies. I'll take a closer look at them. A number of things mentioned are favorites but there were some I haven't seen.

I went digging in the box in the basement and brought up some things that I'll be considering, too:
1. I have Ever After (Drew Barrymore) that I haven't seen in years. I always liked that one. Since it's been so long, I wonder if I'd like it the same as before.
2. The Bells of St Mary's (Bing Crosby & Ingrid Bergman.) I've never seen it. Says it was nominated for 8 Oscars.
3. Anne of Green Gables (Dawn O'Day who changed her name to Anne Shirley lol) It's a 78 minute black & white. It's never been opened but I suspect I've seen it before at some point.
4. Anne of Green Gables (Megan Follows) by Sullivan Entertainment. It's a 5 disc collection. I think 4 of them are the movies. 612 minutes worth. Wow. Over 10 hours. The pictures on the box look nice. I guess I could start 'em up and if I love 'em, just keep going. And going. And going!
5. And an A&E boxed set: The Romance Collection. 14 discs! I believe this must have come to me when my Mother-In-Law passed away. I wonder if she ever watched them. I see Pride and Prejudice (Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle), Emma (Kate Beckinsale), Jane Eyre, Victoria & Albert, Lorna Doone, The Scarlet Pimpernel, Tom Jones, Ivanhoe. 30 hours + lol Won't be watching all of that!

Anyone know much about those versions of Pride and Prejudice, Emma and the longer Anne of Green Gables? I know there's been different versions made over the years.

Phew. Looks like I had plenty in my possession already. But, I'm still thinking about some that y'all mentioned
Old 06-28-2023, 01:27 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

The Scarlet Pimpernel is one of my all time favorite movies - highly recommend.

I really love that version of Pride & Prejudice - it moves a little slow but it is worthy to watch the characters develop.

The Anne of Green Gables mini-series with Megan Fellowes is a classic. I watched it as a college student with a bunch of girls over 3 nights and it was a delight - highly recommend!
Old 06-28-2023, 01:52 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I highly recommend the A & E versions! That Emma isn't my favorite (I like the BBC's 2009 version with Romola Garai best), but it's still pretty good! And if that is the Scarlet Pimpernel with Anthony Andrews and Jane Seymour, WATCH IT. That was my favorite movie growing up--we'd recorded it (with commercials, haha) off TV and I watched it so many times I had it memorized. That Pride & Prejudice is the best, too!

I think I'm coming down to visit you this weekend to watch movies, haha!

Oh, and yes, that is THE Anne of Green Gables to watch! I remember watching it for the first time as an 11-year-old and weeping into my mother's arms afterwards, so SAD that we couldn't live like that anymore.

Old 06-28-2023, 02:17 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Thanks, ladies! Sounds like I have some good stuff! lol

The Scarlet Pimpernel has Richard E Grant and Elizabeth McGovern. Famous people? I am NOT up to date on current actors (the past 20 years probably.)
Old 06-28-2023, 04:24 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by allyanne View Post

I think I'm coming down to visit you this weekend to watch movies, haha!

Oh, and yes, that is THE Anne of Green Gables to watch! I remember watching it for the first time as an 11-year-old and weeping into my mother's arms afterwards, so SAD that we couldn't live like that anymore.
Come on! Would be fun. Except it's miserably hot and humid here.

It sounds like I'm gonna need to keep some tissues nearby.
Old 06-28-2023, 04:43 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

omgosh i can't even imagine what it would be like to watch anne of green gables for the first time! As a kid I would watch the first movie almost annually when it came on TV. you must watch it!
Old 06-28-2023, 10:41 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinCB View Post
omgosh i can't even imagine what it would be like to watch anne of green gables for the first time! As a kid I would watch the first movie almost annually when it came on TV. you must watch it!
It came on TV annually?! I didn't know that! Or was that through cable TV? We just had the "3 stations." No cable.

I'm pretty sure I've seen the shorter black and white version I mentioned above. I've read the books and love them. I'm going to have to send these guys away more often so I can get all these things watched! I do believe I'll be watching Anne, though (along with a couple of other things this week.)

Thanks.
Old 06-28-2023, 11:50 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

One movie that I really love is Brigadoon! It’s an old movie but very delightful! I also love Sabrina with Audrey Hepburn.
Old 06-29-2023, 05:46 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetChar View Post
It came on TV annually?! I didn't know that! Or was that through cable TV? We just had the "3 stations." No cable.
it's probably because i'm in canada, it was a movie that was made for CBC (one of our stations here) i don't know if it was shown annually in the us or not though
Old 06-29-2023, 07:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

One of my favorite older movies is The Way We Were with Barbara Streisand and Robert Redford.