Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 03-01-2010, 06:17 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Default Kindle ♥LOVE♥

Let me hear how much you love yours...we got our tax refund back and DH said we can each get one thing to splurge on. I've been wanting one..I know I'll love it but I need to decide if that's what I want right now...so convince me

Old 03-01-2010, 06:43 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I don't have a Kindle but have a Nook. So I can't tell you about the Kindle but I can tell you that I love having an ereader. Love it.

I hate spending money on books and then have them sitting around taking up space. Our library is way out of the way for me and I have a weird thing about library books. They skeeve me out. But with the Nook I am able to buy some ebooks and also download the epub format from my local library. I don't know if you can use digital editions from other sources on the Kindle. For the Nook as long as it is a pdf or epub format you sideload it via Adobe Digital Editions. It is really easy to do. So far I have been able to find most titles that I want to read from our library. You can also google search for free books and if they are the correct format you can load those.

You can also lend ebooks on the Nook for a certain length of time.

If you love to read (and won't miss the feel of the book in your hands) you can't go wrong with any ereader. Plus, there are so many cute accessories for the Kindle and Nook. LOL! I have a couple covers and a really cute pouch for mine.

I choose the Nook over the Kindle because I did not like the keyboard on the Kindle and did not need internet or anything extra like that since I have an iphone. The network for the Nook is ATT and I knew that everywhere I go I get good ATT service.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:44 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I have one but I find I use the Kindle app on my iPhone way more than the actual Kindle, mostly because I already have my iPhone nearby. But my mom has a Kindle and she LOVES it. My dad is quite jealous of all the times she spends with it.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:04 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My dh was wanting a kindle but now is leaning towards an apple ipad. Mainly because he loves all things apple. I don't have one but I'd love a kindle, I buy so many books that I don't really need to "own".
Old 03-01-2010, 07:09 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm a military wife, so we move every few years and I hate buying books that take up precious space and weight allotments. I love reading on my kindle, and always having another book with me when I finish the current one, or being able to just buy one and get it instantly when I need another. Mine fits in my purse and rarely leaves my side(is plugged in charging on my desk right now, lol).
Old 03-01-2010, 07:10 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

I absolutely LOOOVE my Kindle!! I don't know how I lived without it! It's lightweight, no eye strain at all and the best part?? Books in SECONDS!

Happy to be creating for....
Old 03-01-2010, 07:13 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have a Nook too. I like it because I can download library books onto it since I have a hard time actually paying for books!
Old 03-01-2010, 07:17 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to pewtertm

I've done some researching and I'm also leaning towards the Nook (forget leaning, it's what I'm getting...Sams Club has them). The library e-books are available on the Sony Nook; the librarian told me that Amazon won't allow e-books for the Kindle to be available at the library.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:18 PM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm

I have an iTouch and use the Kindle app to read on it. I thought the small screen size would bother me, but I actually really like it! I've read several books on my iTouch and completely recommend it.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:29 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Okay, I'm going to check out the Nook too now and compare I guess...the only thing is we live out in Podunk MS and I'm not sure if the nearest library offers that.

Old 03-01-2010, 07:32 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII LLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEE EEEEEE
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
KKKKKKKKIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNDDDDDDDDDDDDLLLLLLLLL LEEEEEEE!!!!

(did you hear how loud I screamed that?)

Seriously. It is the best gift DH has ever given me. Seriously. I absolutely love the size of it (perfect fit in a purse and light weight). I even downloaded a Bible on it so I can take it to church! A lot easier on my arms when dealing with kiddos, ect. I REALLY love that I have a downloaded book in less than a minute. I am not a patient person so this is perfect for me. I haven't had a problem getting books that I want either. I really love it. Also, I can read in larger print and no one has to know! LOL

I would HIGHLY recommend getting a cover and a book light (Mighty Bright is my favorite). I also purchased the warranty. I didn't want to take any chances........Landon after all is in the house with me! LOL

I am so excited for you!
Old 03-01-2010, 07:35 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

umm....they are neat....technology is cool and all....but i'm old school and prefer the feel of a book in my hand. and i like displaying my collection, lol.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:42 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

OMG I didn't know about being able to use the nook to borrow books from the library....I looked and there's not a huge selection available for me right now but I bet that number grows big time! I have been wanting an ereader badly and was leaning toward the nook because of the ability to loan books but this may just seal the deal when I decide the time is right to buy one.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:43 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkiARNGwife View Post
Okay, I'm going to check out the Nook too now and compare I guess...the only thing is we live out in Podunk MS and I'm not sure if the nearest library offers that.
I tried out the Nook at Barnes & Noble and I wasn't impressed compared to the Kindle. The way the screen redrew when you turned the pages seemed really really clunky compared to the Kindle, and the feature I was most excited to see, the book cover thumbnails totally had jagged edges! Maybe it was just a bad copy or something but I was rather sad it wasn't better than it was. Oh and both the Kindle and the Nook use AT&T incase that matters.

Oh and by far the best advantage of any eeader is being able to instantly download books so really in that respect you can't go wrong with ANY of the options.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:47 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Had a Nook and took it back and bought an iPhone instead. The biggest thing for me was that it wasn't backlit and yes, I've been informed that no ereader is. But for me, it was hard to read as I have a dark house and I would just have preferred that feature. I could have bought a light for it, but that's just one more thing to worry about especially with a toddler around. Anyway, for me, I love my iPhone now and it works for me as far as reading on it. So while I love the idea of an ereader, I'm happy now with what I've got.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:12 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Ditto on Tara's scream that I LOVE MY KINDLE I have the iphone too but I think the screen would be a little small for me to really use it alot - guess it's my old-age eyes. I just love it being so light that I can throw it in my bag (with a protector bag on it) and download books instantly when needed. And it keeps me from having to carry lots of books on vacation as I like quick light reads when traveling.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:40 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm too paranoid I'd break it and end up hating myself. LOL
Old 03-01-2010, 09:59 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I looked at both- and DH surprised me at Christmas with the Kindle 2 and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it! Seriously the best big $ purchase ever (I'm a gadget girl too). I read even more than before- you can also get blogs, magazines, newspapers in addition to books.

Invest in a good cover (especially if you like the "book" feel) to protect it. My next purchase will be a clip on light for it. It's worth the splurge!

Returning from a long scrapping hiatus!
Old 03-01-2010, 10:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by junebug View Post
umm....they are neat....technology is cool and all....but i'm old school and prefer the feel of a book in my hand. and i like displaying my collection, lol.
I am right there with you on that one Corey...I love my books!!!

Proudly creating for:
LCC by Amy Stoffel, Cori Gammon, DIGI SCRAP ADDICTS Site CT,
Faith True, Geek Chic Scraps, Jac Bernardo, Laura Banasiak, Litabells Designs, Kelley Mickus, Micheline Martin Designs, Nikki Epperson,
Penny Springmann, SCRAP ORCHARD Site CT, THE DAILY SCRAPPER Site CT
Old 03-02-2010, 12:01 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

As far as an ereader goes I think the Nook and Kindle are basically the same. It is the rest of the features that you should look at. Kindle can be an RSS reader where the Nook isn't. The Nook can use epub files where the Kindle only reads DRM-protected AZM files. So beyond just reading what do you need to it to do? That is what I thought about when I was researching and for me it was the ability to use the county library to made me choose the Nook.

No matter which one you choose be sure to check out Medge. http://www.medgestore.com/
I am ordering a Leisure jacket right now. I am tired of using a ziploc for reading in the bathtub.