Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2010, 10:00 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Good food to fill you up for breakfast?

Okay, my kids are the pickiest eaters ever... actually, most just the oldest. We make her try everything, but she really doesn't eat much of anything--so, of course, she's hungry all the time. Anyway, she is mostly good at eating breakfast, but she's still hungry an hour later... she's starting school on Monday and won't have lunch until 11 or so and no snack time. What should I feed her for breakfast? What helps you feel full longer?
Old 08-19-2010, 10:06 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I don't have children so don't know how old she is and what she can eat
But things like Porridge Oats, Wheat cereals like in the UK we have Shredded What that be eaten with cold or warm milk, Weetabix, Wheat Biscuit shaped cereals are more filling, what about adding some fruit to the breakfast?

Hope you get her sorted for school!

Old 08-19-2010, 10:38 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Some sort of combo of complex carb, protein and good fat I think.

Oatmeal & an egg?

This morning I had steel cut oatmeal with a soft egg mashed in with soy sauce & hot sauce. I suppose it may sound weird but it is good.

Does she like yogurt? You could do a muesli type thing where you mix up oats & yogurt the night before. In the morning serve with some fruit and nuts sprinkled in.

I wish my kids would eat this stuff. Sometimes I make my son eat a spoonful of peanut butter just to get some protein in.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:45 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I thought this was a rather brilliant idea too. Not for all the time but maybe once in awhile ...

Old 08-19-2010, 10:51 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I usually try to get eggs and some type of breakfast meat (bacon/sausage) in Avery before school. I know I stay fuller longer with a breakfast like that rather than lots of carbs like pancakes or something.

Old 08-19-2010, 10:56 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to pewtertm

An apple w/ peanut butter seems to stick with us for quite a while.

I made whole grain waffles from scratch this morning for a back-to-school breakfast...and then Rachel was too excited to eat a bite. She decided she wanted to take an apple to her teacher this morning...and wound up munching on it on the way to school. Oh well, I'm guessing her teacher didn't really need it anyway. LOL
Old 08-19-2010, 10:59 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

We do toast and eggs or oatmeal with mashed up bananas or peaches or strawberries topped with wheat germ. Both of those are very filling. Banana muffins are good too.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:59 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Protein is definetely the way to go. You can make her a smoothie with some really good natural protein powder (whey), if she is really picky. My kids love hard-boiled eggs.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:07 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

i was going to say protein of some sort. a lot of the diets say have protein for breakfast to help you stay full until lunch.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:25 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

I was definitely going to say eggs or protein as well. I find if I eat breakfast I get hungrier earlier, so I'm no help that way!

I think it's a shame that schools are doing away with snack time, we still have 15 minutes for recess around 10:30 and it really helps them get through the morning.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:55 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

we do oatmeal & fruit a lot at our house, since it's pretty quick and easy for early mornings, and thankfully the kids love oatmeal (I can't stand it. lol). I also keep hard boiled eggs, apples, etc in the fridge for the kids to snack on if they are still hungry in the morning (which happens often when they don't eat a big meal).

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfiemountiewife View Post
I think it's a shame that schools are doing away with snack time, we still have 15 minutes for recess around 10:30 and it really helps them get through the morning.
we had this issue years ago, when we lived in Saskatchewan. The kids had recess, but they weren't allowed a snack. My husband went in and tore a strip off the teachers. Basically, he pointed out that the teachers still get a coffee break during recess, when they could have a drink or a quick snack, so why can't the kids have a snack during recess as well? Needless to say, the next day, a note went home stating that all children could bring a portable snack to school for recess, to eat outside (meaning no fruit cups, etc).

Last edited by tuneskids; 08-19-2010 at 12:23 PM.
Old 08-19-2010, 12:03 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have to have protein in the morning, or I'm starved a few hours later. I eat eggs almost everyday, and so does one of my boys. I usually have protein powder on hand if any of them want a protein shake. I have one of those Magic Bullets, and those are fabulous for making just one shake. We use it ALL the time.

One of my boys is SUPER picky. Seriously...the guy is 24 and hardly eats anything. One thing he will eat though are these sausages wrapped in pancake batter (like a corn dog) from Jimmy Dean. He smothers it in peanut butter and dips it in syrup. Not the most healthy thing in the world, but it does have protein in it and he'll eat it.
Old 08-19-2010, 12:04 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuneskids View Post
we do oatmeal & fruit a lot at our house, since it's pretty quick and easy for early mornings, and thankfully the kids love oatmeal (I can't stand it. lol). I also keep hard boiled eggs, apples, etc in the fridge for the kids to snack on if they are still hungry in the morning (which happens often when they don't eat a big meal).

we had this issue years ago, when we lived in Saskatchewan. The kids had recess, but they weren't allowed a snack. My husband went in and tore a strip off the teachers. Basically, he pointed out that the teachers still get a coffee break during recess, when they could have a drink or a quick snack, so why can't the kids have a snack during recess as well? Needless to say, the next day, a note went home stating that all children could bring a portable snack to school for recess, to eat outside (meaning on fruit cups, etc).
Woot!! That's awesome! He is so right!
Old 08-19-2010, 12:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

thanks for all the ideas, I'm definitely going to try them!
Old 08-19-2010, 12:22 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I always make sure my son gets some protein at breakfast: eggs, cheese toast, meat (were vegetarians so I serve stripples, linkies), cottage cheese (he'll eat it if I give him the BIG tub-he loves eating out of the tub). I think protein is the key to staying 'full' for awhile because it takes longer for the body to break it down.

Then starch (toast, cereal, crackes) and fruit. My son loves strawberries and grapefruit but when those aren't in season I serve the little Dole fruit cups (he'll eat almost any of those).

Good luck!
Old 08-19-2010, 12:37 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

Breakfast is our HUGE meal, the one we eat all together so we usually make it a big deal!!! Here's a few of the things we do:

Eggs, meat, toast
Cinnamon Cheese Pancakes and yogurt
Oatmeal and fresh fruit
Whole Wheat Waffles and Lemon Cheese
Breakfast Oatmeal Cookies and Milk
Apple Stacks
Muffins (Fruit & Fiber, Apple Crunch, Oatmeal Blueberry, Fritter Muffins)

I must say that it's usual that she's not going to have a snack at school Even my 6th grader last year had a designated snack time every day. We provided our own snacks but still it's a proven fact that kids need fuel (FOOD) to learn!!!

All the things in red are recipes if anyone is interested in them just let me know I'd be happy to post them!!!

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow

Last edited by mummytothree; 08-19-2010 at 12:44 PM.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:00 PM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

Elizabeth, I would love to see the recipes for the muffins, and the breakfast oatmeal cookies. If it's not too much trouble. You can email them to me if it's easier. They might help with my weight loss. I often snack between breakfast and lunch, and a more filling breakfast would definitely help me with that. Thanks hon!

Last edited by ColleenSwerb; 08-19-2010 at 01:03 PM.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:12 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

cinnamon cheese pancakes sounds... interesting... not a combo I would put together, but if you want to share the recipe, I might be willing to try it.

And yes on the muffins too!

and breakfast oatmeal cookies, that might be a hit!
Old 08-19-2010, 02:21 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4noisyboys View Post
One of my boys is SUPER picky. Seriously...the guy is 24 and hardly eats anything. One thing he will eat though are these sausages wrapped in pancake batter (like a corn dog) from Jimmy Dean. He smothers it in peanut butter and dips it in syrup. Not the most healthy thing in the world, but it does have protein in it and he'll eat it.
Oh no Debra - all FOUR of MY boys are picky - I keep waiting for them to outgrow it! Although my oldest, at 18, is still the very worst.

Elizabeth - I'd love to see those recipes - maybe just post them all!
Old 08-19-2010, 02:25 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryinaz View Post
Elizabeth - I'd love to see those recipes - maybe just post them all!
yes!
Old 08-19-2010, 02:39 PM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meems View Post
yes!
+2

I'm also going to add that putting a good fat in there is essential. Fat is good for your brain..good for your body to help with energy, etc. Not a bunch of trans-fats, and most proteins have good fat built in.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:35 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Kat Stokes Send a message via Yahoo to Kat Stokes

We feed our oldest about 1/2 hour before he goes to school (7:45 ish - school starts at 8:30 but he gets dropped off at 8:15). The youngest either eats with his brother or eats at daycare around 8:30.

I am finally getting my SUPER PICKY oldest to eat something other than pop tarts for breakfast. It's still not super healthy but we're working on it....

Whole grain bread (lightly toasted) with a thin schmear of Nutella and a decent amount of peanut butter with a banana on the side.

He will occasionally eat oatmeal but not often.

I am changing my eating habits and I have been having a yogurt and banana or a bagel thin (110 cal.) with a wedge of Laughing Cow Light Garlic & Herb Cheese spread on it instead of cream cheese. That usually fills me up so I'll eat a yogurt around 9:30 or so to keep me going until lunch.

I also love hard boiled eggs so sometimes I'll have 2 of those and a piece of whole grain toast with no butter.

Regarding the school not letting them have snacks, I would go to the principal and complain. Sonja is right. The teachers get coffee breaks and so should the kids. Every teacher we have had (now in 3rd grade) has asked the parents to bring in healthy snacks to share a couple times each year and the kids are provided with at least 1 snack a day. This year his teacher even requested that the parents get refillable water bottles for the kid's desks so they have water at all times (also negates the need for drinking fountain breaks - hahahaha).

Proudly creating for:
Libby Pritchett

Old 08-19-2010, 03:49 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Please post the recipes! I think we all struggle with this question from time to time even without super picky eaters. I saw a thing on the TV yesteday to include one of the supercarbs (bananas, oatmeal...) with your meal to curb your appetite.
Old 08-19-2010, 04:34 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

So, I don't really know about the snack thing at school. Honestly, we never had any growing up and I've never heard any of my friends with school aged-kids mention it ever before... but maybe I'm just out of the loop and they do have snacks. I feel like it would have been mentioned by now (we had kindergarten orientation and such), but maybe not. I'm sure I'll find out tonight!
Old 08-19-2010, 04:53 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Our elementary school has it in every grade...

I thought it would stop for my oldest now that he's in 1st so when his teacher said they do snack I asked her why. She said the whole school does because students are more productive when they aren't hungry.

march challenge tracker | find me on instagram and pinterest | she/her
Old 08-19-2010, 05:06 PM
Administrator

profile gallery send pm

woot! x12 on the recipes! post em!

Karsten has snack time with his first recess.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:18 PM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

I did snack time with my class, and I taught 6th grade! I think it is certainly worth a question to teacher just to put the thought in her mind Mine was optional- if the kids wanted it, they brought it and it had to be healthy (although some parent's ideas of healthy were certainly different than mine!) It also had to be completed during a designated time period, so it wasn't a snacking all day sort of thing.

Good luck!

robin
Old 08-19-2010, 06:26 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

Here ya go everybody!!

Cinnamon Cheese Pancakes

1 1/4 c flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
4 large eggs, fork beaten
1 cup creamed cottage cheese (I just use my food processor)
1 c plain yogurt

Combine first 5 ingredients in a medium bowl. Make a well in the center
Combine eggs, cottage cheese and yogurt in small bowl.
Add to well.
Stir until just moistened.
Heat cooking oil on med-high.
Pour 1/4 cop batter for each pancake.
Cook for 3 minutes per side,
Makes 12 pancakes

Lemon Cheese
(this is goo for toast, muffins, bagels and we use it on waffles)

1/4 c Butter
1 c sugar
1/3 c fresh squeezed lemon juice
1 1/2 tsp grated lemon peel
3 large eggs, fork beaten

Melt butter in med saucepan.
Stir in sugar until dissolved.
Stir in lemon juice, lemon peel and eggs.
Heat and stir on medium until starting to boil and thicken.
Remove from heat.
Cool completely.
Store in refrigerator.
Makes 3 1/3 cups

Breakfast Oatmeal Cookie

2/3 c butter softened
3/4 c packed brown sugar
2 tbsp frozen concentrated orange juice
2 tsp vanilla
2 large eggs, fork beaten
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 c whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 c flake coconut
2 1/2 c quick cooking rolled oats (not instant)
2 cups chopped dried mixed fruit

Cream butter and brown sugar together in large bowl.
Stir in Orange juice, vanilla and eggs until well combined.
Stir in apple sauce.
Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in small bowl.
Add to applesauce mixture.
Stir well.
Gradually stir in coconut, rolled oats and mixed fruit until well combined.
Drop by tablespoonfuls onto greased cookie sheet.
Bake on center rack in 350 degree oven for 16 minutes until golden and firm.
Makes 60 cookies
I've had good luck too just pressing this into a greased 9x13 pan and then cutting them into bars!!!

Apple Stacks

1 tbsp honey
2 whole wheat tortillas (8 inches)
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1 c grated cheddar cheese (we used colby jack, taco and monterey jack too and they have all been good!!!)
1 c very thinly sliced apple

Divide an spread honey on to 1 side of each tortilla.
Divide and sprinkle cinnamon over honey.
Place one tortilla, honey side up, on an ungreased baking sheet.
Divide and sprinkle 1/2 cheese over cinnamon on 1 tortilla, keeping 1/2 inch from edge.
Arrange apples evenly on cheese.
Cover with remaining 1/2 of cheese.
Place remaining tortilla on top, honey side down.
Press down slightly.
Bake in 400 degree oven for about 8 minutes until edges are crisp and cheese is melted.
Let cool slightly.
Cut into 4 wedges.

Oatmeal Blueberry Muffins

1 c Quick Cooking Oats (not instant)
1 c 1% buttermilk (sour milk)
3/4 c dried blueberries
1 c flour
3/4 c packed brown sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp backing soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 large egg, fork beaten
1/4 c butter, melted

Combine first 3 ingredients in medium bowl.
Let stand 15 minutes.
Combine next 5 ingredients in large bowl.
Make well in center.
Add egg and butter to rolled oats mixture.
Stir.
Add to well.
Fill each greased cup (or use muffing papers) with about ¼ c batter.
Bake in 400 degree oven for about 15 minutes until wooden pick inserted in center of muffing comes out clean.
Let stand 5 minutes before removing to rack to cool.
Makes 12 muffins.

Apple Crunch Muffins

Topping:
2 tbsp packed brown sugar
2 tbsp quick rolled oats (not instant)
1 tbsp flour
1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tbsp butter

1c flour
2/3 c whole wheat flour
1/3 c packed brown sugar
4 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
½ tsp ground cinnamon
1 large egg
1 c milk
¼ tsp cooking oil
1 tsp vanilla
1 c peeled and finely chopped apple

Topping: Combine first 4 ingredients in a small bowl. Cut in butter until crumbly set aside.

Stir both flours, brown sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon in large bowl.
Make a well in he center.
Beat next 4 ingredients in medium bowl.
Stir in apples.
Add to well.
Fill each greased cup (or use muffing papers) ¾ full.
Sprinkle with topping.
Bake in 400 degree oven for about 15 minutes until wooden pick inserted in center of muffin comes out clean.
Makes 12 muffins.

Fritter Muffins

1 c yellow corn meal
1 c 1% buttermilk (sour milk)
1 large egg, fork beaten
¼ c cooking oil
14 oz can of cream style corn
6 bacon slices, cooked and crumbled
1 c flour
2 tbsp packed brown sugar
4 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt.

Stir cornmeal and buttermilk in medium bowl.
Let stand for 10 minutes.
Stir in next 4 ingredients.
Stir remaining 5 ingredients in large bowl.
Make well in center.
Add cornmeal mixture to well.
Fill each greased cup (or use muffing papers) ¾ full
Bake in 425 degree oven for about 15 minutes until wooden pick inserted in center of muffin comes out clean.
Makes 12 muffins.

Fruit and Fiber Muffin

1 c flour
¼ c whole wheat flour
¼ c oatbran
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 ½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
1 c grated carrot
2 c finely chopped apples, with peel
½ c raisins
½ c chopped pecans (optional)
2 large eggs, fork beated
1 1/4 c milk
¼ c cooking oil
1 tsp vanilla
1/3 c unsweetened applesauce (or mashed banana)
¼ c honey

Combine first 7 ingredients in large bowl.
Stir in carrots, apples, raisins and pecans.
Make a well in center.
Beat next 4 ingredients together in a small bowl.
Pour into well.
Stir.
Add applesauce (or bananas) and honey.
Fill each greased cup (or use muffing papers) ¾ full.
Bake in 375 degree oven for about 20 minutes until wooden pick inserted in center of muffin comes out clean.
Makes 12 muffins.

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 08-19-2010, 06:32 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinforman View Post
I did snack time with my class, and I taught 6th grade! I think it is certainly worth a question to teacher just to put the thought in her mind Mine was optional- if the kids wanted it, they brought it and it had to be healthy (although some parent's ideas of healthy were certainly different than mine!) It also had to be completed during a designated time period, so it wasn't a snacking all day sort of thing.

Good luck!
Our's has to be healthy too. They send home a list every year of examples of what is healthy, and things that are definitely not allowed.

march challenge tracker | find me on instagram and pinterest | she/her
Old 08-19-2010, 06:36 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

oatmeal always makes me feel full. Also a glass of milk in the morning helps too. This is what I eat/drink when I am hungry in the morning.

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 08-19-2010, 09:22 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

oh thanks for the recipes!!! I'm excited!!

We had meet the teacher night tonight and she lets them eat a snack whenever they want because she understands kids get hungry at different times. We can bring something, or she'll have something. sounds perfect! but, I still don't want her hungry at 8:30, so I will still add these ideas to what we do! thanks so much!
Old 08-19-2010, 09:35 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Tracyfish Send a message via Yahoo to Tracyfish

Well we have this problem because we aren't big breakfast eaters in our house. Not that we don't like breakfast foods, we have them for dinner all the time, but we're just not morning eaters.

I did find however that my son LOVES Luna Bars. He is partial to the Chocolate Peppermint Bark ones. Or he likes the Chocolate Chip Clif Bars for Kids.

While it may not seem totally healthy, it is full of vitamins and keeps him full until lunch. They are especially good on those mornings where he wakes up a little later.

Old 08-20-2010, 08:52 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaTrish View Post
Our elementary school has it in every grade...

I thought it would stop for my oldest now that he's in 1st so when his teacher said they do snack I asked her why. She said the whole school does because students are more productive when they aren't hungry.
It took our school YEARS to figure that one out! A teacher complained to me one time she wasn't getting any productivity out of the kids right before lunch time and I told her MAYBE THEY ARE HUNGRY! ...they were making some of the younger kids wait to eat until they had been at school for 4 1/2 hours! ...some of those kids went to daycare at 7am so it was 5 1/2 hours since they had eaten. ...so she finally sent home a note and asked parents to send in snack crackers ... things that would keep in her cabinet.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:15 AM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

Yay!! Thank you Elizabeth!!
Old 08-20-2010, 11:56 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

One of my son's favorites is pancakes with peanut butter spread on top.You can also try non-breakfast foods. Some of our favorites are melted cheese on English muffin, peanut butter on whole wheat bread or english muffin. We always have milk with breakfast, too.

My son had an afternoon snack in K because they had such an early lunch (11 am). I don't know yet how 1st grade will be.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:59 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

thx for the recipes, Elizabeth!