Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2011, 10:28 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Does anyone do Becky Higgins' Personal Yearbook?

Personal Yearbook

I absolutely LOVE this idea and wondered if anyone has done this with their children's classes.

I would love to, but, I'm not a great photographer, and I would be bringing along 3 extra little ones (I could probably have a friend watch them sometimes, but I would feel bad asking her twice a month). They are well behaved, but still.... And then I would be nervous asking a teacher about doing it, though it sounds like most love the idea.

Has anyone done it?
Old 08-08-2011, 10:44 AM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

For one, you don't have to be a professional photographer. It's not about that, it's about the documentation for the kids.
2, I think a teacher would be all about it.
3, do you know any other moms in the class? I'm sure you could get another mom to help out, and then you would only need to go/have your friend watch the others 1 time a month, which I think is more reasonable. (Suggest that once a month, you watch her kids, or something, so it's "even".)

Don't let your apprehension get in the way of doing something that you really want to do.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:01 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

It sounds like an AMAZING experience and a really cool project. It seems like one I'd love to have done with my son.

If I public school him, I'm definitely going to ask the school if I can do it. If I home-school him, we're going to do it on our own, definitely.

It's a great project! I love the idea!

New Siggy Coming Soon
Old 08-08-2011, 03:09 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I used to volunteer in the classroom and made memory books for the teacher (very similar to this). It would have all the activities, parties, and artwork for the year. GO FOR IT!!!! You'll have a blast....and think of the memories for your little one!!!
Old 08-08-2011, 04:07 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've never heard of this! Thanks so much for posting the link, looks like something my kids would love.

Old 08-08-2011, 04:33 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

i did this last year with my daughter's preschool class! it was totally fun - the kids enjoyed it and the parents loved getting the books at the end of the year. i did it a *little* differently than becky just to make it work w/ the ages i was working with - i.e., preschoolers aged 3 - 5.

i made my own pages for them to write on - similar in idea to what becky has ... but mine had two spots (top and bottom) for gluing paper .. the left hand page had a spot for their monthly photo + a spot to document their favorite things that month. the right hand side had a frame for them to draw a self portrait (or anything they wanted) inside and they were supposed to write their name (as well as glue on two strips of scrapbook paper).

i set it up where i went in once per month ... i worked with 3 students at a time and we sat down and did the pages together. while they were gluing and coloring their picture (i had strips of scrapbook paper already cut out of them - they just chose colors they liked and glued) i "interviewed" them about their favorite things. i documented it all in a notebook and then transferred their answers to their pages when i got home. as each child finished their pages, i had them pose for a quick picture (the pics were NOT professional looking at all - but it was still great to have a year's worth of pics in a book so that the parents could take a look at the end of the year). i just developed the pics and glued them down myself the week after being in the class - i did NOT go in early to take pics - at their age, they didn't really miss/care about not being involved in that part of the process ... once the first three kids were done, i took three more, etc etc ...

the school my oldest goes to is pretty laid back and the teachers were VERY supportive about this project, so they didn't mind having my youngest join the class for 30/40 minutes while i was working on this each month ..

i highly suggest doing it - i thought it was really fun! i'm going to do it again this year

creating for:
the lilypad / sahlin studio