Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2008, 07:21 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69
Default Wacom Tablet ?

anybody have one and if so how do you like it and what size do you have? Is it easy to setup and use and is it compatible with CS? Seriously thinking about getting this! If I do, can I make my own doodles and what about making my own font, is that possible? thanks
Old 01-15-2008, 07:33 PM
Owner & Candy Keeper

profile gallery send pm

Hey there,

I have the new Bamboo Fun tablet and I absolutely LOOOOOVE it. It has a slightly gritty texture so it feels more like writing on paper vs slippery plastic. Mine works with cs2, elements, illustrator and pretty much anything else. Its great for doodles, havent tried it for fonts but I imagine you could. LOOOOVE this thing - you wont regret the purchase of a bamboo fun - i love it way better than the graphire I used to have!

Robin
Old 01-15-2008, 07:42 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I've got a Wacom, the Graphire 4...I got it a little over 2 years ago. I LOOOVE it!! And it's not just for doodling and making fonts - it's a mouse in pen form, basically. So it's fully compatible with all programs. I don't use a mouse anymore...I completely use the pen and navigate with it, too. Oh, and mine is the 4x6 size...that's the size of the "writing" area but the tablet itself is approximately 8x8. So it is the perfect size for me - anything bigger wouldn't fit on this desk.

BTW, the Bamboo is the same as the Bamboo Fun - the only difference is that it doesn't include the extra software. The Bamboo is cheaper because of that.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:42 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

What Robin said! I got the Bamboo Fun for Christmas from my inlaws, it's so fun and easy to use...I love it!! I think the best part for me is being able to journal with my own handwriting. Oh, and I made a cute snowman in ArtRage2 with it as well, lol!
Old 01-15-2008, 07:44 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditzyscrap View Post
k.

BTW, the Bamboo is the same as the Bamboo Fun - the only difference is that it doesn't include the extra software. The Bamboo is cheaper because of that.
The Bamboo Fun's pen has an "eraser" on it too, a VERY nice and convenient feature. But, if that's not a necessity to some, and the software is unnecessary too...the Bamboo is definitely the way to go.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:50 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

so do you designers use this for designing? I already checked out the Bamboo Fun and that looks like it is right up my alley...and for those of you that have the Bamboo Fun do you have the small or medium tablet? From what I can gather it is a difference of about $100
Old 01-15-2008, 08:01 PM
Owner & Candy Keeper

profile gallery send pm

I have the 4x6 size and I agree with Bree, its perfect, any bigger and it would be too bulky on the desk. I use it for drawing for my kits but I still love my mouse. They both have their pros for me - I dont think I could go 100% tablet actually.

Robin
Old 01-15-2008, 11:28 PM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm

I'm 100% percent tablet and pen. I currently have the wacom 4x6" size, but I'm probably getting a Bamboo soon I have no problems with my wacom, but would like the paper feel for drawing purposes.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:48 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun69 View Post
so do you designers use this for designing? I already checked out the Bamboo Fun and that looks like it is right up my alley...and for those of you that have the Bamboo Fun do you have the small or medium tablet? From what I can gather it is a difference of about $100
First, I'm not a designer...just a really nerdy scrapper, lol! I have the small Bamboo Fun, it's more than enough space for my needs. I honestly can't imagine working on the larger one!
Old 01-16-2008, 10:51 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Angie, I have what Bree has - Wacom Graphire 4x6. Someone mentioned on a forum once that it was on sale for $20 at Best Buy (months ago now) and I was shocked so I rushed over and got one! I had been wanting one and it was the perfect opportunity!

I love it - it's easy to use. Though, I'm not 100% tablet. I use it to draw doodles and stuff but still love my mouse! (Or form of a mouse on my laptop.)

I'm a little spoiled at work b/c I have the SCREEN you can draw on (it's AMAZING...if anyone has a spare $2,000 - get that one! LOL...it's SO precise and it's like drawing on paper) but otherwise, I couldn't beat the $20 for my small tablet at home.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:58 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliebee70 View Post
I'm 100% percent tablet and pen. I currently have the wacom 4x6" size, but I'm probably getting a Bamboo soon I have no problems with my wacom, but would like the paper feel for drawing purposes.
have you tried putting a piece of paper on top of your tablet? I've seen people suggest that.

I have the small Graphire but since I started using a laptop I have to table space so don't use it much now .
Old 01-16-2008, 11:26 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have the Graphire 4x6 too but honestly don't use it much. Maybe I need to get it out and try to use it more? I'm on a laptop and use the trackpad for everything. Haven't used a mouse in forever. I'd like to journal in my own handwriting though.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:03 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Mikkel, that is an AWESOME deal, too bad I missed out on that! But I'm seriously thinking about getting the Bamboo Fun and I wish had a spare $2000 'cause that tablet is awesome, but not here...not that kinda money laying around! thanks for all the advice so far and if anybody has anything else to add, please do so!
Old 01-16-2008, 01:23 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Angie - I just bought the small Bamboo Fun tablet for myself a couple of weeks ago (me buying my own Xmas present - hehe). I just set it up this past weekend and it was really easy and you can use it just the same as you would your mouse. The pen is actually pretty neat in that respect!

I haven't used it for anything other than pointing and clicking, but I'd like to know how to use it with PSE 6.0...how do you set it up so that you can use your own handwriting, is there an option in the "text"??

I'm really looking forward to learning some cool new things with my new toy!
Old 01-16-2008, 03:10 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

ok Leah, we'll if you learn anything before I do, please feel free to pass it on, becuase I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get one!
Old 01-16-2008, 03:19 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh and they're only about $100, so even if you don't use it ALL the time, it's not a complete waste of money. But I'm sure we'll both love them!!!
Old 01-16-2008, 03:28 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperboutique View Post
I haven't used it for anything other than pointing and clicking, but I'd like to know how to use it with PSE 6.0...how do you set it up so that you can use your own handwriting, is there an option in the "text"??
You'd just use a round brush at like 5-10 px and start writing. You'll have to zoom in a lot to do handwriting because otherwise you'll be writing TINY on the tablet to make it the appropriate size on your layout - if that makes any sense.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:59 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

thanks for the tip Bree!