Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2012, 10:52 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Everyday dinnerware?

Ok....so DH and I will be celebrating our 10th anniversary this year. He told me that we can replace our everyday dinnerware (its all we have...Im not fancy enough to have china. LOL!) since what I got for our wedding is soooo not my style anymore. If you were to replace your everyday dinnerware what would you get? Link me up please!
Old 01-13-2012, 11:05 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I went all white 3 years ago and it totally rocks! I can pick up little colored dishes to mix in for holidays and it's super easy to find plain white serving pieces to go with my plates. My plates are from Target.

something like this
http://www.target.com/p/Whiteware-Di...page.adjacency

When I worked at Pottery Barn I saw a lot of people buy their heavy ceramic colored plates. Lots of people came back and commented that #1 the plates didn't fit in their cupboard (so measure your cupboard!) and #2 they never thought about what their food was going to look like on red, green, purple, etc plates. White plates can make anything look gourmet!
Old 01-13-2012, 11:09 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by julifish View Post
I went all white 3 years ago and it totally rocks! I can pick up little colored dishes to mix in for holidays and it's super easy to find plain white serving pieces to go with my plates. My plates are from Target.

something like this
http://www.target.com/p/Whiteware-Di...page.adjacency

When I worked at Pottery Barn I saw a lot of people buy their heavy ceramic colored plates. Lots of people came back and commented that #1 the plates didn't fit in their cupboard (so measure your cupboard!) and #2 they never thought about what their food was going to look like on red, green, purple, etc plates. White plates can make anything look gourmet!
What she said. My mom suggested that I go all white and then spice things up with linens and centerpieces. It takes less space (because I've pretty much lived in small spaces) and looks good for every season. Sometimes I get the thought to purchase colored bakers and then I come back to my white theme. I know you just asked about dinnerware but I've taken the white theme to all of my kitchen dishes when possible.

ETA: Plus, I think it is easier to replace any broken dishes or mix and match when they are white.

Last edited by scrap2day; 01-13-2012 at 11:11 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:14 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

never really thought about white. I guess white never really goes out of style, huh?
Old 01-13-2012, 11:15 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

I have white too (kind of an antique white) from the JCP home collection

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 01-13-2012, 11:16 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I think different colored Fiesta wear looks so fun. I have a set of Corning that I found at Wal-Mart and really liked. Its mainly white with a teal and brown modern pattern around the edges (like parts of squares).
Old 01-13-2012, 11:18 PM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

I don't have a particular set in mind, but I know if I had it all to do over again, I'd pick a set that had smaller dinner plates. I firmly believe we eat off the size plates we have....and a smaller plate gives us a smaller eye. My dinner plates have a really wide lip, so the serving space isn't as huge as the plate makes it out to be, but I still think we'd serve ourselves less if we had a smaller overall plate.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:22 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I totally agree with that Darcy. Since my surgery I can't eat much at all so I eat off small salad plates or even the small plastic plates that the kids use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Baldwin View Post
I don't have a particular set in mind, but I know if I had it all to do over again, I'd pick a set that had smaller dinner plates. I firmly believe we eat off the size plates we have....and a smaller plate gives us a smaller eye. My dinner plates have a really wide lip, so the serving space isn't as huge as the plate makes it out to be, but I still think we'd serve ourselves less if we had a smaller overall plate.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:37 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have these Chris Madden Corvella dishes in red from JC Penney and I love them. They have them in white and a couple of other colors as well. We eat off the salad plates more often than not.

http://tinyurl.com/7jve79d
Old 01-13-2012, 11:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have fiesta ware in white love it!!

Old 01-14-2012, 12:28 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm a Fiesta wear girl myself. I've got all the three different blue's, a dark purple, and brown. I love how they look together. Fiesta wear is so fun and hardy too! Plus, I really like collecting new colors.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:36 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I love those Joana!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joana1n View Post
I have these Chris Madden Corvella dishes in red from JC Penney and I love them. They have them in white and a couple of other colors as well. We eat off the salad plates more often than not.

http://tinyurl.com/7jve79d
Old 01-14-2012, 01:03 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have white -- French Countryside by Mikasa that I picked out (believe it or not) when I was a teenager. I've used them daily for over 20 years now and they are still going strong and I still love my dishes. I do recommend white. You could always add some Fiesta ware bowls in different colors if you want to brighten things up a bit.
Old 01-14-2012, 01:21 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

i don't know if you have an ikea anywhere close to you, but i LOVE ikea dinnerware. once my set of dishes (which is a hand me down from my grandparents) finally dies, i plan to replace it with ikea dishes. i have some odds and ends from ikea, like serving dishes and pasta bowls and i love them.

Old 01-14-2012, 07:30 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

i have fiesta ware too ... i have white, navy and a turquoise and i love them! but i DO like having enough white that i can do an all white table w/ different colored accents for valentines day, etc

creating for:
the lilypad / sahlin studio
Old 01-14-2012, 08:31 AM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

I registered for (and love) my Pottery Barn Great White Traditional dishes. I'm a huge fan of the white dishes for every day. I also have a set of 6 red square dishes from Bed Bath and Beyond, because I like to mix things up. The dinner plates ARE a smidge on the large side, but if you put them in the second shelf of the cabinet instead of the bottom, it's fine.
I always eat on the salad plates to help with my portion control.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:17 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to SmallMoments

Another Fiestaware girl here! We have six different colors- scarlet, tangerine, sunflower, shamrock, colbalt, & peacock. I kind of want to add in lemongrass too. I love it b/c I have enough to use for pretty much any holiday for the three of us. And enough green & red to use if we have company for dinner at Christmas.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:38 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I love dishes even though I hate to cook If I had room, I'd have a bunch. Just a heads up, china is way more durable than stoneware, it doesn't have to be fancy and often takes up less room (because it's denser and thinner). You can do a lot with white but I say get whatever makes you smile when you see it.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:05 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

Mine is a mix of white china and colored plastics. All are square and I have a wide variety of sizes. We switched to square plates a few years ago when we decided to get smaller sized plates. I just prefer the look of square in my hanging dish rack. The plastics are for casual meals that can be eaten anywhere in the house, so I don't get pissy if they are dropped and the china is for sitting at the table where dropping plates is much less likely. I get most of mine at Target . I have everything from 12" that I use as serving plates to the 9" ones we use for meals to the 6" for sides plus some rectangular ones as well.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:13 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Right now, I have ceramic yellow and green plates, but when I'll change, I'm totally going all white and smaller, as Darcy suggested. Everything you eat looks good on a white plate. Not so much on yellow or green, lol!
Old 01-14-2012, 11:24 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have a couple sets, the ones we use most are green (sort of to match the kitchen theme of John Deere, we actually have a set of tractor dishes too), thick, round, from WalMart, I think the whole set on sale was only $32 (which is good, 3 kids, somethings bound to get broken soon). If/when we get our own house instead of renting I'll redo everything & go with white.
Old 01-14-2012, 01:13 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

When we have the money to switch ours out, I'm pretty sure we'll be going with white square dishes!
Old 01-14-2012, 01:35 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My SIL is currently switching out her dishes with all red fiestaware. IDK- I guess Ive never really looked closely at the fiestaware but I just wasnt impressed with it. I do like that you can have a rainbow of colors with it though. that would be more my style than all white dishes.
Old 01-14-2012, 01:38 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

I have a set of cream (with some blue accents) Pfaltzgraff that are our "everyday" dishes, but 9 times out of 10 we use these red plastic ones we got for a buck from Target!! It's just so much easier with 5 kids!!

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 01-14-2012, 01:44 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Another white dish set... My mom bought me my first set through Dayton's (now Marshall Fields - or did Macy by them out)... over 10 years ago...I LOVE that they are all white... I've never had the desire to get a new set... the only thing that I don't like is that this set has "soup" bowls, not "cereal" bowls... I don't like the more shallow bowl for soups/cereal and we use other bowls from pfaltzgraff (in white ) for that...

I do have 4 smaller dinner plates that are corelle for everyday... they are okay - got them because they were smaller than our dinner plates, like Darcy was commenting. But I prefer the more heavy dinner plates than the corelle are... but they aren't has heavy as fiesta - more of a middle ground.

Mine are similar to these... but they weren't this expensive, but see the shallow bowl? http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/m...LinkType=PDPZ1

Oh, take that back... when searching for my plates I found these... oh, I want these!!!! http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/s...9%26slotId%3D3
Old 01-14-2012, 01:52 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I do love that 2nd set Rebecca!
Old 01-14-2012, 01:56 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I hate dishes and give up lol Everything we buy the kids break and then I end up with a third of a set of 6 different kinds of sets I am strongly considering paper plates at this point
Old 01-14-2012, 02:02 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I too went all white last year and I got them at Walmart. I like being able to go back to the store and replace the pieces one at a time when I need to, which I have had to do twice this year. I can always come up with 2 bucks to replace a plate or cup, but replacing an entire set is not as easy.
Old 01-14-2012, 03:28 PM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

Another one for white! I love the idea of a colourful dinner table but could not afford dinnerware in every colour so I bought white dinnerware and a white table cloth and colourful everything else . This way I can still colour theme for an event without it costing me so much.
Old 01-14-2012, 03:54 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I have cobalt blue fiesta ware and wish I had gotten white
Old 01-14-2012, 04:47 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to LenaGardner

I'm jelly of all you fiesta ware havers. I would love to own fiesta ware. My MIL has it out the wazoo and she knows how much I love it...and she has no daughters so I imagine it will be mine one day, she's very sweet to me. But she's easily got 20 or 30 more years to live so if I'm ever going to really have fiesta ware I'm gonna have to pony up the dough and buy my own

I have glass dishes.

I'm fickle and like to redecorate often so glass gives me the flexibility to do that. (white would too but I liked the glass)
Old 01-14-2012, 04:59 PM
Banned

profile gallery

We have a variety of white dishes. None of them match, which is what I wanted. I pick them up at garage sales and thrift stores. Some are antique, some are more modern. I'm pretty flexible with style, but they have to be all white. Makes it super easy to replace when one gets broken.
Old 01-14-2012, 05:32 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

I have some dishes rom Fred Meyer that are like antique white and I LOVE them...my MIL has them and last year I asked her to get them for me for oChristmas and she got me a set of 12 dinner plates...this year she got me 2 small bowls, a med bowl and large bowl for my brithday and this Christmas she got me a small serving platter I absolutely LOVE them!!!
Old 01-14-2012, 08:27 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

I have 2 sets of these... love them, they stand up to daily use and kids and the dishwasher, etc...

http://www.target.com/p/Room-Essenti...e/-/A-11837440

I think I'm going to add a 'Vintage Teal' set to it.
Old 01-15-2012, 12:38 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I use Polish Stonewear now. My mom bought me a set of Longerberger pottery years ago, but I don't love them. There is black marks all over the tops of them. I've called the company but they won't do anything about it.

Next time I buy a set, I know I'll be going white, and then accenting with my Polish Stonewear, or whatever other colorful ones I pick up. I've been looking at Crate N Barrels
Old 01-15-2012, 01:03 AM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm

I'm surprised to hear so many that love white dishes! I had some white Pfaltzgraff dishes from Macy's and due to fork marks the plates looked horrible. When my mom passed away, my dad really wanted me to have and use my mom's vintage '70's Mikasa dinnerware. I have to say the quality of the Mikasa is amazing! This stuff is 40 years old and still looks new!! It is fun and retro, but someday I will want to get something new. Whatever I get, the weight of it will be something I consider. The retro Mikasa that I am using is very heavy and it really isn't designed to fit nicely in the dishwasher because it has a large raised lip. That is a great suggestion to consider the size of the plates too, I hadn't thought of that.

Last edited by Julie Billingsley; 01-15-2012 at 01:06 AM.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:03 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Billingsley View Post
I'm surprised to hear so many that love white dishes! I had some white Pfaltzgraff dishes from Macy's and due to fork marks the plates looked horrible. When my mom passed away, my dad really wanted me to have and use my mom's vintage '70's Mikasa dinnerware. I have to say the quality of the Mikasa is amazing! This stuff is 40 years old and still looks new!! It is fun and retro, but someday I will want to get something new. Whatever I get, the weight of it will be something I consider. The retro Mikasa that I am using is very heavy and it really isn't designed to fit nicely in the dishwasher because it has a large raised lip. That is a great suggestion to consider the size of the plates too, I hadn't thought of that.
I had the same problem with my Pfaltzgraff pattern as it had a white center. After a few uses it looked awful. I am not having that issue with my Walmart plates though. They still look good and I have had them at least 9 months. I wish I could say the same for my Tefal pans that I purchased at the same time. They are nicked all over.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:48 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We have white Corelle and love it! Both of our moms got Corelle early in their marriages and it's lasted all these years, do we figured it was worth it. We went to an outlet so they were a great deal, and if we do have any breakage or want to add to our set they sell it all individually too. We love how lightweight and durable they are. One of the saucers survived 2 toddler throw downs in one sitting.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:59 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Billingsley View Post
I'm surprised to hear so many that love white dishes! I had some white Pfaltzgraff dishes from Macy's and due to fork marks the plates looked horrible.
My mom has a white Pfaltzgraff set too, and this is her number one complaint about it, too... Also, I think their stuff has gotten a bit lax in quality... I have a Christmas set (made in the USA) - used throughout the season- that looks as great at the day I purchased it 10 years ago... and my Thanksgiving stuff (made in China) - only used once a year - has two plates that have busted already... and it's only 5 years old.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:18 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Yeah my white Pfaltzgraff looks terrible, that's why I still use the cobalt blue fiestaware... And I only use my white Pfaltzgfraff for Christmas with my 12 days of Christmas salad plates that coordinate.
Old 01-15-2012, 12:59 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMarch View Post
I have white -- French Countryside by Mikasa that I picked out (believe it or not) when I was a teenager. I've used them daily for over 20 years now and they are still going strong and I still love my dishes. I do recommend white. You could always add some Fiesta ware bowls in different colors if you want to brighten things up a bit.
I also have this set and love it! We use it daily and it takes a beating. Still looks great!

Also have a set of plain white Correlle that the boys use.
Old 01-15-2012, 01:22 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

i have a cream colored set of Gibson dishware. we didn't get any when we got married (we lived together for 2 years before we got married).

we need to replace them badly. they're about 10 years old and scuffed up and just icky. i'll definitely stick with white.

Old 01-15-2012, 01:26 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferB View Post
I have 2 sets of these... love them, they stand up to daily use and kids and the dishwasher, etc...

http://www.target.com/p/Room-Essenti...e/-/A-11837440

I think I'm going to add a 'Vintage Teal' set to it.
Ooh I like those, I like the idea of having an all white set but then also having the teal set too to add a splash of color! And the prices aren't bad at all on those.

We have two sets of Corelle Rosemarie that my MIL bought us the Christmas we were engaged so they've had almost 12 years of daily use and still look good for the most part. We used to have a Corelle outlet in a nearby town so I had bought matching serving platters and serving bowls but all but one of those broke along with a few plates/bowls the kids have broke (mostly the dessert bowls and bread & butter plates). The pattern has never been my favorite though, so I'm ready for something new.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:40 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

We have IKEA ones for everyday use...

And these for special occasions:

Pouring my creative self into perfection made by Ju Kneipp
Old 01-16-2012, 04:13 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have Corelle, white, square. I love that they are light weight and that I can buy them individually because who needs that many coffee cups?
Old 01-16-2012, 05:18 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Nikki Epperson

We have Corelle. Mainly because that is what was handed down to me. But the kids get their kid stuff and so I have cabinets overflowing with Buzz Lightyear, Shrek, Woody, and cereal themed bowls. I can't pass up those free bowls with cereal.
I love my Corelle. I would love a plain set though.
Oh and we use Tupperware plates everyday. My grandma had a ton of them and they were never used.
I hate silver ware scraping on plates, so we use plastic as much as possible!

Happily Creating For:

Krystal Hartley ♥ Libby Pritchett ♥ Meghan Mullens ♥ Melissa Bennett

Old 01-16-2012, 05:24 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Dh's parents bought us new dinnerware for our anniversary a couple years ago. My first DD was around 2, and I wanted something that wouldn't break easily. We went with this set by Corelle (very hard to break):

We ended up buying some more plates in a mid-size. The big ones were too big, and the bread-and-butter plates were too small. I think the mid-size we grabbed are called Lunch Plates (??).

Huge fan of:

Old 01-16-2012, 09:04 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggiefamily View Post
I also have this set and love it! We use it daily and it takes a beating. Still looks great!

Also have a set of plain white Correlle that the boys use.
It really is amazingly strong. I literally don't think we have had a single dish break in over 20 years. I have maybe 2 that have a chip on the rim.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:26 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

My mom is on her second set of Pfaltzgfraff and both sets have knife and fork marks on the the center of the plates. I have to say that even though we use all white ceramic dishes, we also have hard plastic plates that are smaller in size that we eat on a lot for dinner for just the 4 of us. The smaller size helps keep the portions down. I have a set of 8 striped plates in the smaller size and they are now our party plates to be used for my kid's when they have their friends over.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:27 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Here's ours:

And yes, we bought the matching medium sized plates and do tend to use those more than the large ones, but I like setting out the large ones for big meals or guests.