Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 09-04-2021, 10:31 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default What else do you do for fun?

What do you do besides scrapbook? I’m sitting here at our campsite enjoying it (despite being able to see my breath this morning), and was curious if anyone else camps or what else you do for fun?

Other than camping I like to read, watch bad reality TV, go for walks, go to movie. I’m not the “physical activity” type of gal.

Old 09-04-2021, 10:51 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

It is nice that it's becoming fall (at least for me, since it's really my favorite!) but breath in the air... Ah I see you are in Canada!

My most favorite activity is to travel and experience new places and cultures... but still not doing that yet. I like cooking and dining out with friends/family. I like spending time in nature too. I don't watch a lot of tv, but I do watch some of those bad reality shows too *cough* Married at First Sight and Bachelor/Bachelorette. I guess I'm a hopeless romantic and like watching people find their people! I got lucky and found my person at 22 yrs old, but I see the struggle friends have had. I like reading, but usually on vacation more than at home just because I usually find something else that I want to do like scrap or something practical/chores.

Old 09-04-2021, 10:51 AM
Banned

profile gallery

I'm currently upstate at my parent's lake house for the long weekend. It's not camping, but we always make a fire out in the pit, roast marshmallows and make tin-foil dinners on the fire. I love going out on hikes, kayaking, and there are a few wineries here that we also enjoy.

I also love going to the beaches closer to home, reading, and watching TV shows. I walk every day and I feel lost without daily fresh air.
Old 09-04-2021, 11:25 AM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjscraps View Post
What do you do besides scrapbook? I’m sitting here at our campsite enjoying it (despite being able to see my breath this morning), and was curious if anyone else camps or what else you do for fun?

Other than camping I like to read, watch bad reality TV, go for walks, go to movie. I’m not the “physical activity” type of gal.

Wow! Already?? And here I am just celebrating that the forecast for us only reaches 90 today! I'm jelly for sure! I swear I am so tired of the heat advisories and worrying about my hubby, who works outside in a bucket truck! It's been a hot, humid summer for us and we're not even thinking about fall yet!

Right now what we do for fun usually means something in the AC Although we like to hike and go to the beach. We also like to try new restaurants with friends. Not much of a movie fan myself, but I do like to binge-watch TV while I'm doing something else. I can't just sit and watch. I'll read during commercials or knit while watching. Yesterday I worked on my bullet journal for a bit while watching old Law & Orders. I'd love to travel more but we just haven't been able to swing that in a few years - always something.

Old 09-04-2021, 11:27 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm a huge audio book person- plus side is I can listen AND scrapbook at the same time! I also do a lot of traditional paper card making & stamping. I tend to listen to music or books more than I watch TV but we do have family movie nights often & watch some shows together on Netflix.

We are blessed with inlaws who have a lake cabin about 35 mins from our home on lake Coeur dalene Idaho. It's God's country! We spend as much time as we can out here (we're here now for the weekend!) - even year round! Winter is just as beautiful!

Our kids are super busy with sports & activities & while it eats into "my" time- I secretly love watching them grow & succeed. September is flag football & hockey for my son, softball for my daughter!
Old 09-04-2021, 11:40 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I do a lot of walking, getting outdoors with the dogs and sometimes bring a camera. Most days I take the dogs for 1-2 hour walks through a park or we go to the beach, dog park, soccer field, etc. When indoors I read a lot (everyday), watch tons of youtube (everyday), mostly about nutrition, dogs and photography/photoshop stuff. I am a foodie so I spend lots of time looking for recipes, going thru cookbooks, meal planning. I switched to a plant based diet this year and am learning a lot through videos/reading about it. I also have been spending lots of time training the pup so have done a few different online training programs. I'm lucky that I work part time at home so I have lots of time to spend on all these things and next year I'm going to retire early and just enjoy myself. I want to do lots of 1 or 2 day trips with the hubs and dogs, exploring BC and when the borders open again, down the west coast. I manage to fit in some TV time, watching on my tablet as I work or scrap. At night I binge watch shows with hubs while I play on the floor with the dogs. Life is fun but busy.
Old 09-04-2021, 12:08 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm a big book and craft nerd, but I always love checking out local foodie spots, nature spots, touristy stuff, local stuff ... kind of like a staycation explorer lol
Old 09-04-2021, 12:58 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I was getting into cookie decorating, but that may not be the best hobby any more after packing on 30 pounds.
Old 09-04-2021, 01:36 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjscraps View Post
(despite being able to see my breath this morning), .
--I must say I am enjoying these few cooler nights this week. Maybe it's because I love fall, or maybe because the humidity was kicking my b*tt but it has been heaven to be able to have the windows open with cool fresh air coming in.

As for me I am still in 'lockdown' mode of activities. So aside from scrapbooking, I am crocheting, painting, doing puzzles, reading. Also found out we can rent video games from my local library so have signed out a few this summer just for something different. Get outside for walks either first thing in the morning or late at night when it's cooler. Binge watching ER. (a show I had been trying to find for a while and then Prime added it last month) And what my cats think is most important, playing with them and giving them treats!

Old 09-04-2021, 01:58 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I have to say if I don't have a scrapbooking requirement I'm not sure what to do with myself during free time.

I enjoy watching tv shows or movies, online concerts of my favorite band...
I don't go out, I don't have real friends yet after our move to the East Coast, I avoid crowds and am very socially awkward when I don't know the people well.

I have tried a lot of other stuff but nothing really sticks. Lettering, paint by number (still haven't finished my masterpiece I started last year...).

I used to play video games but that would just eat my day and I hated being one of those people sitting around all day so I quit that cold turkey but every once in a while I'll let myself play.
Old 09-04-2021, 02:14 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Board games lately, we’ve been researching, buying, playing and watching reviews of them like crazy since February.
Old 09-04-2021, 02:16 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

Outside of scrapbooking, my main hobbies are cross stitching and puzzles.

I also love watching sports and am thoroughly enjoying watching the Atlanta Braves play right now and crossing my fingers they can hold on to first place in their division and make it to the playoffs. I am also excited for the NFL season to start next week.

Travel is my absolute favorite and I love that when we moved a few years ago, we became closer to a whole lot of new places. Before Covid, we were going constantly, but that has definitely slowed down since.
Old 09-04-2021, 02:38 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

walking and listening to audiobooks on my walks.. i'm probably one of the most boring people alive lol
Old 09-04-2021, 03:19 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Besides scrapbooking...is there other things? Lol
We love to travel...a lot. Disney trip coming in a few weeks. Other than that naps, watching TV (I am in rut with shows now..need to find a new one). Kids keep me busy busing them everywhere. Youngest is in a middle school not in our area so no bus...I have to take him and pick up...the oldest got a job so I am swapping cars for him till we get him one. Busy busy!!
Old 09-04-2021, 04:44 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I am an expert in procrastinating, does that count as a hobby?
I watch way too much tv, if the Blue Jays are playing, then I’m watching.
I do enjoy reading but I am either reading voraciously or I won’t do it for 3 months, no in between.
Walking on the trails, conservation areas with Harlow and usually my camera, but it’s been to peoply out there lately so I haven’t been. We have also had a heatwave, high temps/humidity and I don’t get along.
I enjoy baking and cooking but more in the cool weather.
Old 09-04-2021, 04:51 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I enjoy reading and while I do like camping, I am over tent camping and ready to try a camper. It will have to wait a while though, not in the budget currently. I LOVE traveling, and planning trips! Disney, nature, hikes to waterfalls, scenery, doesn't matter. I just LOVE getting away! I also love to just spend time with my family- playing games, watching TV, doing crafts.
Old 09-04-2021, 04:52 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I write poetry. Listen to music. Watch movies and binge TV. We go fishing as a family.

Old 09-04-2021, 07:54 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

In my hubby's eyes: cooked and watch tv.
In my own eyes: cook and watch tv
In my kid's eyes: be on top of her for everything.

Old 09-04-2021, 09:05 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

Play games on my tablet. In the winter months I will do lots of jigsaw puzzles, especially in December. My way of taking my mind off of the holidays (not my favorite time of year).

I also enjoy photography although the last few years I haven't been going places in order to do that. Hopefully 2022 will be better.
Old 09-04-2021, 09:25 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Other than scrapping, I read. These days it's almost all audiobooks so that I can listen while I scrap and do mindless jobs like laundry and cleaning. I don't know if I'd necessarily say it's for fun, but I also research and plan--or should I be honest and say that I over-research and over-plan--new purchases, travel, decisions, etc. I like to crochet, sew, and do needlepoint, but those are mostly on hold for "some day." Right now I'd rather use my limited free time for scrapping, so I'll get back to the others some day in the future when parenting and work don't take up so much of my time. I want to say travel, but even pre-Covid we didn't get to do it much because we have to spend most of our travel time going to visit family. I guess it's a bucket list item for me to be able to travel more to new destinations.

Last edited by rach3975; 09-04-2021 at 09:29 PM.
Old 09-04-2021, 09:27 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I love to read, hang out with my dogs, float in the pool, watch my boys play soccer, hike. I love to travel but haven't been anywhere in a few years due to Covid. I also love to hang out in my craft room....if I am not scrapbooking, I am making cards, which is something I love to do!
Old 09-04-2021, 10:53 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I love to listen to music and binge watch reality TV shows. We usually ride bikes a few times a week as well.
Old 09-05-2021, 11:01 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I read, craft, and play games. My family likes to go bowling and hiking.
Old 09-05-2021, 07:56 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Love hearing what else you guys are all into!!

Old 09-05-2021, 08:38 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Does homework count?

Seriously, these days I feel like I have no time for anything other than taking care of my little farm/zoo/whatever you call it, and homework. Just two semesters and I'll be DONE. Then I'll be so wrapped up in my first year of teaching that I probably won't have any time anyway.

I listen to audio books any time I have a spare moment. I listen while I cook, clean, drive, walk, etc. I am also re-learning Spanish through Duolingo. I've been doing that when I would ordinarily be mindlessly scrolling social media.
Old 09-05-2021, 11:02 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherri Tierney View Post
Does homework count?

Seriously, these days I feel like I have no time for anything other than taking care of my little farm/zoo/whatever you call it, and homework. Just two semesters and I'll be DONE. Then I'll be so wrapped up in my first year of teaching that I probably won't have any time anyway.
Yes! I'm in my first semester of a masters with teaching certification for early childhood special ed. I plan to take my time, so it will take me 3 years to finish. Next fall I already know I'll have to take double my usual courseload, and I'm dreading it! I have no idea how I'll find time for everything, especially when fall is already the busiest teaching time. (I'm a gen ed preschool teacher now.) Congrats on being almost done!
Old 09-06-2021, 10:18 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

My fun thing that I do outside of scrapbooking is Fortnite compliments of my middle child who has since abandoned the game due to the world opening back up, being back in school and able to get out of the house. Through it all, I found 12 amazing people who we call family, chat in messenger, video chat and talk on the phone. We are even planning a meet up next year to finally meet one another. So while we all play a "child's game", we were all brought together when the world shut down. For some of us, it was an escape from reality, a way for us to be around people and hear people in a time where you couldn't leave your home, a place to just veg after a long and hard day where you could mindlessly play a game with some adult laughter/banter. Some of us take the game too seriously. Some of us are challenge oriented and play just to check off challenges and some of us just play to be around people.

This is my fun and something that I'm glad my daughter asked me to play with her and her friends because not only did I find my Fortnite family who gave me so much strength and encouragement to get through my hardest part of my life, I also grew closer to my daughter and was able to "be there" for her friends who don't have good parental support.

Old 09-06-2021, 07:25 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach3975 View Post
Yes! I'm in my first semester of a masters with teaching certification for early childhood special ed. I plan to take my time, so it will take me 3 years to finish. Next fall I already know I'll have to take double my usual courseload, and I'm dreading it! I have no idea how I'll find time for everything, especially when fall is already the busiest teaching time. (I'm a gen ed preschool teacher now.) Congrats on being almost done!
I am working on my teaching certification. I am trying to decide if I want to go strait into a masters program or just wait a while. Waiting is looking more enticing!
Old 09-06-2021, 09:41 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherri Tierney View Post
I am working on my teaching certification. I am trying to decide if I want to go strait into a masters program or just wait a while. Waiting is looking more enticing!
After however long you've been in school working on your certification, I get why having free time again would be nice! Doing my masters along with the certification only meant 2 or 3 additional classes, so it was an easy choice.
Old 09-06-2021, 10:28 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm going back to 'school' in January - a program meant for working professionals, so I will still work full time but be certified in what I have done for the last 2 years by the end of it lol

Old 09-06-2021, 10:55 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I love to get out in nature, the beach or moutains or hiking, but that's all but stopped for us since COVID hit. It brings me great job to lay in the ocean and soak up the sun.

At home, I like to listen to audiobooks while I play Candy Crush Friends.