Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2011, 03:22 PM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm

I've been doing a lot of reading on my ipod touch, but the lcd does get to me. I even turn down the backlight a lot but still get watery eyes quite a bit. I'd love to get a Kindle, but I just can't justify it since I can read on my ipod. Plus my ipod fits so nicely in my purse, where the kindle isn't as portable.

as for the money saving aspect, someone mentioned a low cost lending e-book library in a recent thread. But for the life of me, I can't remember the website. Anyone remember that site? I'd like to check it out again and see if they can lend to a kindle.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:50 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to scrappinsweetie

oh i would love to see that site too Julie, because deep down i want a kindle but i have to go with what is going to save me money in the long run. if there is a cheap loan site that would def. be a benefit!
Old 04-04-2011, 04:08 PM

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrappinsweetie View Post
oh i would love to see that site too Julie,
found the thread on cheap books and it has the website that lends books... but the site seems to be down?? The one suggested by Lani is Ebooknovel.com, but I can't check it out since the site is down.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:14 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
oh i would love to see that site too Julie, because deep down i want a kindle but i have to go with what is going to save me money in the long run. if there is a cheap loan site that would def. be a benefit!
Before you decide on the Nook, make sure your library has a significant selection of ebooks. Many libraries have a very limited selection. I have the Kindle and rarely pay for books because I get 1 or 2 a week for free and don't read fast enough to read 2 a week.

Old 04-04-2011, 04:16 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

our state library has a TON i am sitting here looking now. all i have to do is go to the local library and get a state card.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:19 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

i have a nook (not a kindle) and i belong to http://ebookalliance.net/forum/ (which is what ebooknovel changed to). i HIGHLY recommend it. i'm not quite sure how legit it is, but what i don't know doesn't hurt me.

they don't have an option to buy a membership right now bc they are revamping the way they accept payments (they didn't want to pay the paypal fees).

i originally bought a month trial for $11.99 and I will most definitely be purchasing more subscription time. you just need to find out what type of file you need for your ereader and you can download the files. i downloaded a free program that transfers the files straight from an epub download to my nook for me. makes the whole process VERY easy.
anyone with a nook can feel free to PM me if you'd like (or even if you have a question about the site)

Old 04-04-2011, 04:34 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have a question :-) If I get a one month membership and it lapses, the books disappear?

Old 04-04-2011, 04:35 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

no. the books are on your ereader forever i'd assume. i mean, you downloaded them on your computer, how could they take them back?

Old 04-04-2011, 04:38 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I also have a Nook and love it. My local library has a good selection of epub and pdf books. There are also a few libraries that you can use (even if not local) for a small fee or free.

You just need to get Adobe Digital Editions (free) to transfer your downloaded files to your Nook.

eta: I have the 1st generation wi-fi/3G Nook (like the first shipment because it has the different back than all others) and not the Nook Color. I wanted it only for reading since I have an iPhone, iTouch and laptop. Didn't think I needed something else with color or need for apps. I also choose it because at that time (almost 1.5 years ago) you could not load files from a library or lend with a Kindle.

Last edited by aggiefamily; 04-04-2011 at 04:48 PM.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:40 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmasmommy View Post
no. the books are on your ereader forever i'd assume. i mean, you downloaded them on your computer, how could they take them back?
If it is a lease/borrow type program your Nook will know if there is a time limit. If I borrow a book from my library (epub or pdf) and my 21 days are up it will not allow me to open the book. The only way I have gotten around this is to turn on airplane mode until I finish the book. Once you connect again your book is gone.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:03 PM

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmasmommy View Post
i belong to http://ebookalliance.net/forum/ (which is what ebooknovel changed to).
I got confused in their forum, but here is the main page. It says it works for all ereaders! It says you get to keep the books forever if you get the Lifetime membership, otherwise your books are disabled when your membership is up. Don't understand how that works, but I have rented a movie for my ipod before and it went away, so I suppose there is some magical way for the books to be unreadable too.

So, Laura, is it easy to find the books you are wanting at Ebook Alliance? The complaints about not being able to navigate them had me concerned.

And if anyone is a member, are you able to put the books on your itouch/iphone? I can't seem to get it to work for my local elibrary, so I was concerned this would be a waste trying to get it on my ipod.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:11 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've used audio books from the library so I guess its the same magic they used :-)

Doesn't look like they are taking payments right now, Laura do they say in the forum when they will?

Old 04-04-2011, 05:16 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

well now i am really leaning towards a nook whereas this morning i was leaning towards a kindle...LOL sheesh make up my mind would i?

another question, if you are a B&N member do you get anything extra off the ebooks? we are members but i can't find any information on estuff.

Last edited by scrappinsweetie; 04-04-2011 at 05:20 PM.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:25 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
well now i am really leaning towards a nook whereas this morning i was leaning towards a kindle...LOL sheesh make up my mind would i?
You can't go wrong with either! There are free books for both, lending for both and the e-ink screens are the same (not the same for Nook Color). I would go with which ever one has a discount code or incentive. Or if you have swag bucks, gift certs or something?
Old 04-04-2011, 05:37 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

i have a 10% discount code for B&N. wonder if can get dh talked into ordering it tonight?? hmmm...
Old 04-04-2011, 06:51 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
i have a 10% discount code for B&N. wonder if can get dh talked into ordering it tonight?? hmmm...
Which Nook do you think you will get? I have the Nook Color which has a lot of extra features which I think I've used more than the Nook reader aspect. If you are primarily going to use it for reading-I think I would get the Nook regular eeader because the battery will last longer. I have been disappointed that the Nook Color's battery discharges so quickly unless it is completely powered off. Have fun!
Old 04-04-2011, 06:54 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

def the reg nook. i want the e-ink otherwise i would be going with a tablet. i dont want another lcd to look at. it is hard on my eyes!
Old 04-04-2011, 06:57 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I use amazon A LOT...so for me the Kindle just made more sense. I ♥ it. I want to marry it

Old 04-04-2011, 07:04 PM

profile gallery send pm

okay, honestly I don't follow business news too much, but I know that ebooks have hit bookstores hard. Last year Borders filed for bankruptcy. Then Barnes and Noble was put up for sale (is still for sale??) , and there were bankruptcy rumors about it all. IF Barnes and Noble does file bankruptcy, depending on if they restructure or go out of business, would there be support and books for the Nook anymore? I'd love if someone knew anything about that.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:09 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

I have been planning on getting a kindle for christmas and then my birthday in Feb. Both times something else has come up. The kid's xbox died right before Christmas so I used my Christmas money to get them a used one... not sure what happened for my birthday. But I have still yet to get my Kindle. I hope too soon.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:24 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My mom texted me last week and asked if I wanted a kindle for my birthday. I love my books. Hard bound. Paperback. They cover my room. There is literally one everywhere, in every corner of my house. I'm a reader, my 3 kids are readers. There are books in the kitchen, living room, bathrooms, bedrooms. I never thought I'd want an ereader. Ever.

And then I started thinking how nice it would be to have that space back. I'm slightly worried about having it at the pool this summer, but I'm dying to reread The Stand by Stephen King and that's an 800 page book. How much easier it would be to have a eeader. So I told my mom heck yes.

Now to figure out how to water proof it.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:27 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKim View Post
My mom texted me last week and asked if I wanted a kindle for my birthday. I love my books. Hard bound. Paperback. They cover my room. There is literally one everywhere, in every corner of my house. I'm a reader, my 3 kids are readers. There are books in the kitchen, living room, bathrooms, bedrooms. I never thought I'd want an ereader. Ever.

And then I started thinking how nice it would be to have that space back. I'm slightly worried about having it at the pool this summer, but I'm dying to reread The Stand by Stephen King and that's an 800 page book. How much easier it would be to have a eeader. So I told my mom heck yes.

They make neoprene cases for the nook!! My brother has one he uses for the gym and at the beach!!!

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 04-04-2011, 07:29 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

This one is only $15.99 bucks!!!

http://www.amazon.com/Version-Trendy...sr=1-1-catcorr

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 04-04-2011, 07:31 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:

This was me too.. I have stacks of books but literally they were over running my house...I had no where else to put them. I seriously LOVE my kindle for that reason alone.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:52 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

that's why i love my ereader, kim. MORE SPACE in our very, teeny house!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Billingsley View Post

So, Laura, is it easy to find the books you are wanting at Ebook Alliance? The complaints about not being able to navigate them had me concerned.
i usually just type in last name of the author and it comes up fairly easily. i figure, i'll deal with a little confusion for the price LOL
my month was supposed to be up on the 2nd and since they redid everything they've extended it for 2 wks, so i honestly can't answer the 'taking back' the book question. i mean, i download them, unzip them, and put them on my nook, i don't understand how they'd go away...but i'm pretty computer dumb, i can't lie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crecia27 View Post

Doesn't look like they are taking payments right now, Laura do they say in the forum when they will?
Yah, they're getting the whole payment thing straightened out. they said within the next week or 2.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:52 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Billingsley View Post
okay, honestly I don't follow business news too much, but I know that ebooks have hit bookstores hard. Last year Borders filed for bankruptcy. Then Barnes and Noble was put up for sale (is still for sale??) , and there were bankruptcy rumors about it all. IF Barnes and Noble does file bankruptcy, depending on if they restructure or go out of business, would there be support and books for the Nook anymore? I'd love if someone knew anything about that.
dang it woman! seriously once i get my mind made up one of you bring up another good point and make me think yet again. i had forgotten that B&N is for sale and that they are not in great financial status right now. hmmm back to hurting my brain.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:56 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:

I'm a book junkie, but it was a lack of space issue that made me go over to kindle. I still buy real books, but not as often anymore.

I used my kindle at the pool and beach last summer plenty, and I just put mine in gallon ziploc bags and taped over the seam really good, lol! It worked just fine. I did not take mine anywhere near the water though, just sitting on the beach or lounge chair at the pool.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:39 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I use this for the bathtub, outdoors and the beach. It isn't waterproof but does protect from water spray, sand, etc.

http://www.medgestore.com/products/nook-leisure.psp

I think there is one for every type of device.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:03 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

ok, i have decided on the nook for the sharing capabilities and the library lending. my mil is wanting to get one this summer when school is out so we are going to lend each other books.