Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2009, 02:07 PM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm
Default My laundry...

has defeated me. I have tried and tried to keep up with it but there is always a basket that either has dirty laundry in it, or laundry waiting to be folded or folded laundry that hasn't been put away. And that's on good days, usually I have all three at the same time. I just can't keep up, I wish they made disposable clothes So do you ladies keep up with your laundry and all the other household tasks for that matter.

Creating for Kristin Cronin-Barrow,Kay Miller, Shabby Miss Jehn, Kitty Design, K Studio, Ju Kneipp, Kaye Winiecki.

Seaside by Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 05-07-2009, 02:28 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Where is the smilie that is rolling around laughing and slapping the floor?

No, I don't keep up. It goes in spurts. I do try to keep all the tables clean and clutter free. Having a messy table stresses me out.

The rest of the house stays clean. But not clutter free.
Old 05-07-2009, 02:45 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to iJenny

oh, honey. I feel your pain. Laundry is the bane of my existence. I dread doing it, I am never caught up, and we perpetually live out of laundry baskets full of clean clothes cuz I never get around to putting them away.

I've just resigned myself to the fact that laundry will probably always be my biggest enemy. lol

creating for
* 9th & Bloom * Jennifer Barrette Designs * Polly & Rufus Designs *

Old 05-07-2009, 02:46 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I think it breeds in the laudry basket - where conditions are optimal.

I have on a few occasions actually seen the bottom of the basket - really! - but then I blink and something has appeared. Breeds, like I said.

I feel the same about the ironing basket too.

Last edited by livelys; 05-07-2009 at 02:47 PM. Reason: needed to moan about the ironing...
Old 05-07-2009, 02:58 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

no, laundry and me don't get along. however, since we left for california with just a few suitcases, and the rest of our clothes at our house are packed we don't have a lot right now so i have been keeping up, lol. i have no choice or else go naked? lol
Old 05-07-2009, 03:00 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilcameronsmommy View Post
Laundry is the bane of my existence. I dread doing it, I am never caught up, and we perpetually live out of laundry baskets full of clean clothes cuz I never get around to putting them away.
This is pretty much how it is at our house, although I don't mind the actual washing so much it's the folding and putting it away part! Right now my kids (the girls especially) have way too many clothes and really no place to keep them all so they end up staying in baskets. Plus their whole changing clothes several times a day thing irks me lol! I definitely plan on going through all their clothes and getting rid of a bunch of stuff that never gets worn and paring it down to a more manageable amount as soon as school gets out here in a few weeks. I've already told my DH we will be doing the same thing with ours cause we both have a closet full of stuff that we never wear anymore, so why hang on to it?
Old 05-07-2009, 04:25 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

That is why I like summer! Smaller clothes means more time between the baskets filling up. Course as my boys grow bigger the quicker they fill up too. Pretty soon I'll just start taking it out of the dryer I think!
Old 05-07-2009, 04:28 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawna View Post
This is pretty much how it is at our house, although I don't mind the actual washing so much it's the folding and putting it away part! Right now my kids (the girls especially) have way too many clothes and really no place to keep them all so they end up staying in baskets. Plus their whole changing clothes several times a day thing irks me lol!
Are we living the same life Shawna? LOL I coulda said the exact same thing!
Old 05-07-2009, 04:30 PM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

Yes summer clothes, I can't wait. Much less laundry to do although they get dirtier faster too being outside more.

Creating for Kristin Cronin-Barrow,Kay Miller, Shabby Miss Jehn, Kitty Design, K Studio, Ju Kneipp, Kaye Winiecki.

Old 05-07-2009, 04:34 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to AnnieBananie

I live by this quote when it comes to laundry...

“I believe you should live each day as if it is your last, which is why I don't have any clean laundry, because, come on, who wants to wash clothes on the last day of their life?”
Old 05-07-2009, 04:46 PM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

I think I am going to apply that quote to my laundry too

Old 05-07-2009, 04:52 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieBananie View Post
I live by this quote when it comes to laundry...

“I believe you should live each day as if it is your last, which is why I don't have any clean laundry, because, come on, who wants to wash clothes on the last day of their life?”
I need to make up a hybrid sign with this on it for my laundry room!! PERFECT!!!
Old 05-07-2009, 04:56 PM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

I'm no laundry maven (that's my MIL's title), but we do have a fairly good routine for laundry here. We have a basket from the Container Store that is 3 mesh bags in a frame. So as soon as clothes are taken off, they are sorted into whites, mediums and darks. That way, I'm not having to sort laundry all the time trying to find a load. The boys have their own basket in their bathroom, that while it's just 1 mesh bag, it's easy enough for me to take to the laundry and work.

I have one laundry basket next to the washing machine for kitchen towels and the boys' whites when I'm doing a load for them (that way I only do 1 white load a week). I do 1 load at night, filling the machine and letting it soak. When I get up, I turn it on to finish. By the time breakfast is done, those clothes are ready to go on the line or in the dryer. I do 1 load every day. Every once in awhile I end up doubling up and doing a 2nd load because it's sheets day or we've filled up clothes faster on a towel day. But if I stick to it, I can get by doing 1 load a day, plus 2-3 during the week at the most.

Granted, I dont have babies anymore (so no nappy washing), nor do I have little girls Ours boys aren't interested in changing clothes everday much less more than once a day. We wash towels 2x a week during the summer, 1/wk during the winter. I only have 1 backup of towels per person so that I can't let them stack up since we'll need them again soon. It's a system that works for me...and keeps me going.

As for the rest of the house? Don't ask. I had it clean 2 weeks ago for the inlaws...and already

Annie - I LOOOOOVE that quote!
Old 05-07-2009, 05:04 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

I buy new laundry baskets..quite regularly b/c my others are full of clean folded clothes that i've been too lazy to put away. I have four in my room right now ready to put up. I DO put my girls' clothes up otherwise i'd never have baskets haha. My oldest two also put their own up..but man i'm BAD about it.

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 05-07-2009, 05:22 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

when I'm not sick with morning sickness I have a really good routine....I have to with 6 people living here!! I'm like Darcy I do one load a day (except Friday...that's both my girl's clothes day but like Meg I only wash and dry those clothes...they fold and put them away themselves-they are 11 and 7)....it's a lot easier to wash dry, fold and put away one load at a time!!!

Monday: Mom's clothes
Tuesday: G-man (the baby)
Wednesday: Whites
Thursday: Little man (older DS)
Friday: My two girls
Saturday: Towels
Sunday: DH

Of course since I got knocked up and have been terrible sick....I'm lucky if I get one load done a week!!! But i am starting to feel really better so I'm starting to get back into my routine!!!!

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 05-07-2009, 05:28 PM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummytothree View Post
when I'm not sick with morning sickness I have a really good routine....I have to with 6 people living here!! I'm like Darcy I do one load a day (except Friday...that's both my girl's clothes day but like Meg I only wash and dry those clothes...they fold and put them away themselves-they are 11 and 7)....it's a lot easier to wash dry, fold and put away one load at a time!!!

Of course since I got knocked up and have been terrible sick....I'm lucky if I get one load done a week!!! But i am starting to feel really better so I'm starting to get back into my routine!!!!
Wow, you are amazing! I don't think I could ever do this, I am just not that disciplined.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:10 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

ugh! I cannot keep up with laundry. It's awful!! I have soooo much to do and I am sooo behind!
Old 05-07-2009, 09:27 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

The good news is you aren't the only one! Did I do the laundry I needed to tonight after work? No! But the hybrid board book was WAY more fun!

Returning from a long scrapping hiatus!
Old 05-07-2009, 09:44 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

I'm a strange one...I like laundry. It's the one and only chore that at the end of the day it is obvious that I did. The baskets are empty (or low) and the drawers and closets are full of clean clothes. Everything else I do around here in a given day (sweeping, dusting, mopping, vacuuming) can be undone when one little person walks in the room.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:49 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Laundry will be the end of me. I hate laundry.

But I do love my clothesline!
Old 05-07-2009, 10:01 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Ugh, don't get me started. I literally stay up until 11 pm doing laundry and then get up at 5:00 to start it up again. ohh, the joys of being a working mother. Some help would be lovely.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:02 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I forgot to add, that my son plays sports EVERYDAY so he has at least 2 outfits per day. My husband wears a uniform and changes when he gets home, so he's also 2 outfits a day.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:30 AM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

Nope, never caught up. Even if I do get caught up (and yes, it has happened), it's very distressing to have DH and DD come home and immediately throw something in there.

I have a system . . . no laundry hampers in bathrooms or bedrooms (I'm a smell freak and don't like the smell of them), so all laundry goes immediately to the laundry room. I have 4 baskets . . . whites/lights, darks/colors, towels, jeans. This was the laundry is pre-sorted. I try to do AT LEAST one load of laundry every day. I consider it a success if one or more of the baskets is empty, but have accepted that they will not all be empty at one time.

As for the rest of my house, it stays pretty clean most of the time. DH is a neat freak so that helps. I'm a little OCD sometimes (but not all the time).
Old 05-08-2009, 02:40 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

My laundry is sitting in baskets~clean but in baskets. I am having a protest. I HATE when my husband~~notice no dear~~just puts the laundry in a basket after taking it out of the dryer. IF you take it out you have to fold it. less wrinkles and less laundry in baskets!!

Don't get me started. I have stopped folding the older boys because it end up in their closet floor. So I just skip the middle step and let them have it. Dryer to floor. I dont waste my time any more!!

I will be folding laundry later.........Big words but it still has to be put away.
: blink:
Old 05-08-2009, 02:49 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

I wash clothes every single day it's the first thing I do every morning. I fold as it comes out of the dryer. I do usually 1 dark load a day, plus 1 white every other day. I have three kids, most of their clothes is dark.

Since it got warmer, I hang my clothes out to dry, so in the evening I fold after dinner, while the kids are getting a bath or doing their homework.

On Tuesday nights, all laundry *must* be done, because Wednesday is sheet changing day and with my regular size washer, it takes me 3 loads just for sheets.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:38 PM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

Thanks ladies, you made me feel better. I am glad I am not the only one that's loosing the battle.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:31 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

love this idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummytothree View Post

The Wheelchair Mommy Tweet*Tweet

William-2004, Lucas-2008 & Nathan-Summer 2011
Old 05-08-2009, 09:56 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummytothree
Maybe this is a big family thing? I do my loads based on who's clothes it is as well..It's much easier for me to do a whole load of baby clothes or toddler clothes, than it is to do 5 kid's clothes then sort them...I do more than 1 load a day though so Eliz. has me beat there..but I also try not to do laundry on the weekends since I like to spend it w/my DH since he works a lot.

It's just a cycle to nail down based on preference...it's never gonna be done unless ev1 goes naked a day

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 05-09-2009, 03:30 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

you are NOT alone...I wash for a family of 6...but I HAVE to do at least one load in the wash and one in the dryer everyday...now that DH is home by himself with all 4 kids, he just has laundry day on Sunday's and it is killing him! I know he wants me to come home...plus he is color blind so putting socks together SUCKS for him!!!!!