Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2009, 02:36 PM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm
Default Something I don't get

OK I hope I don't upset anyone with this post but I noticed in some other galleries, not here people use photos from devianart for their layouts. This is really confusing to me, why are they doing that? I scrap to preserve memories and sweet moments, it's just strange to me that people want to scrap photos of people they don't even know. Or maybe I am not understanding something, maybe they are just using those photos so they don't expose theirs on the web and use their own when printing. I am just confused here not trying to judge. Maybe you guys have more insight on this

Creating for Kristin Cronin-Barrow,Kay Miller, Shabby Miss Jehn, Kitty Design, K Studio, Ju Kneipp, Kaye Winiecki.

Seaside by Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 05-13-2009, 02:40 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I think some people use stock photos so they don't have to use photos of their own children & post them on the internet? I also think some people do it that are on CTs and don't have a particular photo to match a kit.

I don't personally do it, but there's been a lot of talk about this in forums that I've noticed lately...

Creating for Melissa Bennett & Lliella Designs!!

Old 05-13-2009, 02:45 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to AnnieBananie

A lot of people do this for the art of it too I guess *shrug*
Old 05-13-2009, 02:50 PM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

I understand if they do it because they don't want to post their own photos. For art purposes though, I don't know. I personally can't get inspiration to make a page of photos I don't know anything about. The most inspiration I get is using photos of my girls

Creating for Kristin Cronin-Barrow,Kay Miller, Shabby Miss Jehn, Kitty Design, K Studio, Ju Kneipp, Kaye Winiecki.

Old 05-13-2009, 02:59 PM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

To each his own is what it boils down to I think. Some people don't like it, some people don't care, etc etc. Everyone scraps for their own reasons, and none of them are right or wrong.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:03 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

When I was on manufacturer design teams for paper scrapping, often I would get an assignment for a collection that I simply didn't have a photo that matched. I then relied on stock photos. But it was simply to get the job done. When I got those layouts back, they went straight in the trash.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:05 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I wouldn't personally do it, but I can see why some people do. For some, they don't scrap to preserve the memories, they scrap as a form of artistic expression. Also, like it's been mentioned, some people just don't have a photo to scrap with a certain kit for a designer they CT for.

It doesn't bother me when people do it, I just personally wouldn't ever do it.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:46 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I agree...to each their own but I have to say this...I do think a lot of people do it for the privacy reasons and a lot for the art of it as well, but here LATELY and this is totally just my observation, I think a lot of people who are the "praise crazy" people do it just for the online recognition, which is totally okay too I guess, I just don't get it.

Old 05-13-2009, 03:53 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

this was talked about recently!

It only bothers me when those people get abnormal recognition for LO's using pictures that are not their own. Like winning one of the Scrappers Choice Awards. Even this year for the category of "Best Photograph" someone nominated a page using a stock photo. And the fact that designers have said that one of the main things they look for in CTM's is good photographs, and then you find that most of their team doesn't use their own pics.

To each their own....as long as you have permission or that person's copyright says it's ok.
Old 05-13-2009, 04:08 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

You know, I think the real reason this topic keeps coming up, not just here but throughout the digital community, is that no one is really addressing the real issue. The problem isn't really stock photos. People have been using stock photos for all sorts of reasons (no photo, CTs, art, etc) for the entire 3+ years I've been digital scrapbooking and no one has really cared up until now.

The problem is that there's a subset of digital scrapbookers who are combining digiscrap products with these stock photos to create what I'd call digital art. They aren't concerned with the memory preservation side of things, for them it's all about artistic expression, and since they aren't using their own photos or stories, there doesn't seem to be any real personal attachment to the pages they create. Which I think is making people wonder, is it really scrapbooking? And if it's not scrapbooking, then is it really fair that they get all this recognition through the DST gallery standouts, 50-60+comments, CTs, etc? That to me is really at the heart of why people keep bringing this up.

Personally I don't care one way or the other. To me it's kind of like the old paper vs digi or digi vs hybrid type of arguments. As long as all stores/galleries don't switch to that style of pages, I'll be fine.
Old 05-13-2009, 04:14 PM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

Yeah I guess I don't care either it was just weird to me. I just started noticing this a few days ago. I never heard of anyone talking about it or anything. I don't think it's right though if people are getting rewards based on layouts using someone else's photos.

Old 05-13-2009, 04:35 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettio View Post
You know, I think the real reason this topic keeps coming up, not just here but throughout the digital community, is that no one is really addressing the real issue. The problem isn't really stock photos. People have been using stock photos for all sorts of reasons (no photo, CTs, art, etc) for the entire 3+ years I've been digital scrapbooking and no one has really cared up until now.

The problem is that there's a subset of digital scrapbookers who are combining digiscrap products with these stock photos to create what I'd call digital art. They aren't concerned with the memory preservation side of things, for them it's all about artistic expression, and since they aren't using their own photos or stories, there doesn't seem to be any real personal attachment to the pages they create. Which I think is making people wonder, is it really scrapbooking? And if it's not scrapbooking, then is it really fair that they get all this recognition through the DST gallery standouts, 50-60+comments, CTs, etc? That to me is really at the heart of why people keep bringing this up.

Personally I don't care one way or the other. To me it's kind of like the old paper vs digi or digi vs hybrid type of arguments. As long as all stores/galleries don't switch to that style of pages, I'll be fine.
I think you're totally right.

Old 05-13-2009, 04:40 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:

I agree with you Lynnette as to why people are creating these. I have to say, though, that when SSD was down yesterday, I went perusing DST GSO and the DST gallery and I was really disappointed at the trend things have taken there. I used to be able to find tons of inspiration there, but now it's overwhelmingly the same 2 types of layouts: (1) one or two tiny photos, cropped right around the face, framed by a circular piece of string, and grouped/layered with embellishments; usually with just a name for the title. Or (2) an extracted photo put in a "fantasy" scene created with no connection to the original setting. No journaling, no wider-shot photos for context.

YES, they are beautiful and artistic and I've created some of those types of pages myself on occasion but how many of those can you create? And if you are just applying the same "formula" over and over, where is the real artistry and creativity? I was SO happy to get back here to see people creating pages telling the stories of their own real lives. And a nice mix of different styles and designs! LONG LIVE SSD!
Old 05-13-2009, 05:09 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I agree with a lot of what has been said. I scrapbook for a mixture of reasons. and since I don't have children of my own and my family is not that large, I have occasionally scrapped a stock photo (never of people I don't know), usually flowers or something I think is unique or pretty or fits a theme......I agree that my favorite type of scrapping includes using lots of different papers and elements, that's what I love about SSD , you can get kits where you have a mixture of patterened and solid papers to mix and match too, whereas a lot of the trend is to get lots of solid or subtle solid papers but add embellishments only to create a scene and those are pretty pages and I would love to create one or two, but I agree, how many of those pages can you make? I also agree, Long Live SSD, keep the good stuff coming!!!
Old 05-13-2009, 05:24 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

For the record, I think the "favorites" thread at MSA has more inspiration for practical/journaling pages. They are all still fabulous, but there aren't nearly as many purely artistic pages there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMarch View Post
...that when SSD was down yesterday, I went perusing DST GSO and the DST gallery and I was really disappointed at the trend things have taken there.
One of the issues being discussed about stock photography is whether or not you are, in fact, abiding by the TOU if you use them for CT layouts. Technically those are commercial pages (advertising for your designer), so you need to make sure that if you snag somebody else's photo to scrap for CT pages (as opposed to personal pages), that the TOU allows commercial use.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:43 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Voodoo_Bryn

Hmm... not all of us that scrapbook journal, though. I hate journaling... I hardly ever journal my pages at all, which is a shame, because I'm trying to preserve a memory, but... I just don't feel up to it. I journal only occasionally, it's def. not the norm for me.

But the fantasy stock photos? As a photographer, I can guarantee that those probably don't have the photographer's permission, and I don't think they should be eligible for "Best Photo" awards. Anyone can hunt down an awesome picture, it's another thing to take an awesome picture.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:48 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

i have never used stock photos. at times i have thought about it, when i have no pictures of my own. but never have. it just doesn't feel right. i don't think its a bad thing, but its just not for me. and i scrap both for artistic expression and for preserving a memory.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:59 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

a lot of people who digitally scrap don't even have a family so they purely scrap for the artistic aspect of it. not everyone is a SAHM who does this to print books. kwim?

eta: that i'm sorry this is redundant. i posted before reading the thread.

Last edited by lizzyfizzy; 05-13-2009 at 06:04 PM.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:02 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettio View Post
yes, i keep saying this too. like i can appreciate that people only do it as an artistic expression but if this is the case it should not be called digital "scrapbooking". i totally get why people would be confused.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:48 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to suze

I guess I never thought about it much. I hear all the reasons why people do that... and I can understand. I've occasionally taken a celeb photo or something and scrapped that... but I feel that goes along with preserving the memory.

and you guys are right about stock photos... if you want to get "technical" its not scrapbooking... by definition

Quote:
Scrapbooking is a method for preserving personal and family history in the form of photographs, printed media, and memorabilia contained in decorated albums, or scrapbooks. The idea of keeping printed materials of personal interest probably dates to shortly after the invention of printing. This trend is probably similar for photographs.
so..

*shrugs*

lol
Old 05-13-2009, 07:14 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Ive used stock photos before. Like when scrapping about how I have lived in Florida my whole life and never seen snow and how much I would love to take a trip in the winter to somewhere to see snow I obviously would not have my own photos of a snowscene so I found one online. Again when scrapping about my dream camera I used a stock photo of the camera I wanted. That would be a reason I think some people might do this. You want to scrap something specific or have a memory youd like to scrap but do not have a photo that would match it

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 05-13-2009, 07:59 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I think I said I would never use stock photos, but that isn't exactly true. I have used them in the instance like Jessica said. I had to do a LO of my hometown for a challenge once. I had to use stock photos from someone else - you know like bluebonnets, the big bridge down where I live that lifts up when the big boats come in etc. But, I had that person's permission and I never use stock photos of people.

I have to agree with Lynnette. It gets old after awhile and it's frustrating to see all these people get on the CTs and get in the gallery standouts. To be honest, SSD is the ONLY place where I've been a gallery standout.

But, my approach to scrapping may be different than others. I don't like to extract photos, I don't like to blend. I like my LOs to look like I paper scrapped them and then scanned them. I don't want them to look fantasy looking. To be honest, I really hate that look.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:12 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

I dearly love the graphic style of scrapping. I work in Photoshop all day, and it's the same stuff day after day. And while I love my job, creating graphic style pages is really out of the box compared to that and it's nice to stretch my skills so to speak.

I do not though, use stock photos. I have two girls and a boy, that get into all kinds of trouble, and a DH who takes zillions of photos of them doing things. I live 30 seconds away from the Atlantic Ocean, icebergs, whales. I coach 67 skaters, and have permission to use all of their photos. So I'm pretty set LOL. But I can see how people who don't have that would use stock photos. I do most definitely think that stock photos should not be allowed to be used in "award" winning contests, etc, because for the most part, awesome scrap pages are made because of awesome pictures. And like Bryn said, it's one thing to use an awesome picture, quite another to be able to take one.

Anyway, I think that we can all be inspired by different ways of scrapping. We all have our likes and dislikes, and reasons for scrapping. But at the end of the day, to each their own. We're all different, and if the gallery was full of all the same style, it would be boring.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:16 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I think I said I would never use stock photos, but that isn't exactly true. I have used them in the instance like Jessica said. I had to do a LO of my hometown for a challenge once. I had to use stock photos from someone else - you know like bluebonnets, the big bridge down where I live that lifts up when the big boats come in etc. But, I had that person's permission and I never use stock photos of people.

I have to agree with Lynnette. It gets old after awhile and it's frustrating to see all these people get on the CTs and get in the gallery standouts. To be honest, SSD is the ONLY place where I've been a gallery standout.

But, my approach to scrapping may be different than others. I don't like to extract photos, I don't like to blend. I like my LOs to look like I paper scrapped them and then scanned them. I don't want them to look fantasy looking. To be honest, I really hate that look.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:22 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to AmyM

What their motivation and scrapping style is- it's their business regardless of whether I get it or not. And lemme tell you, some of them I really don't understand LOL! Whatever floats you boat, kwim?

What should, IMO, be the business of the digi scrapping community is the photos they are using. I suspect this could be a major problem if it is not addressed. Just so you can have the most fabulous whimsical page, piece of art, most comments and affirmation via GSO's, etc etc.... does not justify using copyrighted photos that are not your own. I've recently seen some used on pages that I have seen used in professional cards, pictures people hang on their wall, etc..

I did a page a long time ago that was for favorite t.v. shows and I didn't think twice about it at the time. I just got the little pics off the web and did a page about it. Now I wish I never had, because somebody somewhere could have taken those pics......obviously it was little snapshots of t.v. shows and not something I was using as a "photo", but still....I won't ever do that again and I wish someone had called me out on it and sent me to a site explaining photo copyrights, etc..

The least we can do is say something in the credits like "photo from stock exchange" .... or "I got this from x photo site, help me identify the photographer".....something like that. Perhaps it is something that newbies aren't aware of or people just haven't sat down and thought about and that's OK.... we can all learn. But if the galleries turn into a bunch of copyrighted or stock photo decorated pages, we could end up with some serious copyright infringement issues and honestly I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet. I wish there was some sort of topic at each site where people could read about where to go to get "ok" photos and how to credit them if they wish to use stock photography.

End novel. Sorry. I am just concerned about this. For the integrity of the community and hobby and the people that could end up being held liable.

facebook
Old 05-13-2009, 08:29 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I've said before that I think it should be two different categories, Digital Art and Digital Scrapbooking and then there wouldn't be this big issue. Its almost most the die hard paper scrappers how they feel about digital scrapping.

I personally don't see the need for stock photos. I am completely caught up on my scrapping and when I say caught up I mean every picture I want scrapped is scrapped and I'm printed through March 2009, but that being said, if I have a CT assignment, I go back and use a picture of mine that I've already scrapped.

I don't have to do it often, but that's what I do.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:37 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I guess we could take this a step farther and designers could encourage their CTMs who create "digital art" to post to those types of galleries in addition to digi scrap galleries. The cross promotion would probably be good for business.

I know that hybrid artists will post in digi and paper galleries for the same reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesser1981 View Post
I've said before that I think it should be two different categories, Digital Art and Digital Scrapbooking and then there wouldn't be this big issue.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:23 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

i agree with you vanessa!
Old 05-13-2009, 09:29 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I admit that I've done it... I was trying to start up a scrap for other business and had used stock wedding photos to show my wedding line... I would have used my own wedding photos, but my photographer won't let me.

I have never posted them in a gallery or used them to try to get on a CT and claim them as my own... sad really, they turned out really cool... I wish I've spent 1/2 the time on my own personal layouts as I have for my samples... maybe then I'd be on a CT. Maybe I'll have to crash a wedding and get some photos to put in their places... LOL!

***Edited... as to AmyM's point... I did use a photo from the ABC website for a challenge last summer that was for a favorite TV show at that time... but I'm sure that I did put down where I got the photo from... so, I retrack the "never" in my original response... Sorry!!

Last edited by MamaBee; 05-13-2009 at 09:34 PM.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:53 AM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

mmmmmmmmmmmmm
I have to say on this topic I am kinda on the fence. I am too busy doing my own thing to really have an opinion about what others are doing. I keep coming back to SSD because it reflects me and my style. I scrap memories. Not quarter sized photos. I look at my photos to capture a moment in time.

I can see why people use stock photos. They have reasons.....the "art of it," the need to fulfill a CT obligation. That is ok for them and doesnt impact me.
I have found over the last couple of months I come back to SSD because some places are too far out there for me. I will hang out where I feel like I can feel comfortable and I will see things that spark my interest and creative ideas and my shopping desire.......................Bring on the sneaky peeks!!!
Old 05-14-2009, 03:35 AM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

This is how it's been for me lately. I see those gorgeous pages and I admire them because I really do like that style. But then I read the credits, I see photo by devianart and the whole pages just completely looses its appeal to me. A scrap page is supposed to convey something, a memory or a feeling and when I see the photo I almost feel cheated. I don't know that's just me, I don't comment on those pages anymore. I agree they should be in a different category.

Old 05-14-2009, 04:07 AM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

I have to clarify something. I saw a page with a photo of mother kissing her baby, so sweet. The photo was from devianart though. The kit used was pretty general, you could've scrapped any picture with it. So to use a photo like that to me is seeking attention. She could've used any picture for that kit. I understand when it's something you don't have for a specific kit but not this one and this is just one example. I saw a whole bunch.

Old 05-14-2009, 05:24 AM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula View Post
I've come to hate the fantasy look too. Hahaha! 45 pages of GSO at DST every single week does that, I think. Now, I much prefer hanging out at the galleries here to look at pretty paper-inspired layouts. LOL

As for deviantart/stock photos, I agree with Vanessa. I don't think layouts with those photos are in the same category as regular scrapbook layouts, and I'm really sad that I've been passed over so many times for a CT because I don't use stock photos. But I guess if I can't make a layout without using stock photo, then that kit (or the style of that designer) really isn't for me. I'm glad I've finally stopped buying those kits now coz I don't use them anyway. LOL

Also, on the topic of CT obligations, even for themed kits, I've mostly done layouts with general photos that I've taken. That's the wonderful part of scrapping for me: there's no such thing as a mismatch of photo and kit.

Happily scrapping for:
Tracie Stroud, Dani Mogstad, Krystal Hartley, Megan Turnidge, Kristin Cronin Barrow
Scrap Orchard, Polka Dot Plum, Elemental Scraps

Old 05-14-2009, 11:14 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by alien21xx View Post
As for deviantart/stock photos, I agree with Vanessa. I don't think layouts with those photos are in the same category as regular scrapbook layouts, and I'm really sad that I've been passed over so many times for a CT because I don't use stock photos. But I guess if I can't make a layout without using stock photo, then that kit (or the style of that designer) really isn't for me. I'm glad I've finally stopped buying those kits now coz I don't use them anyway. LOL
I do have to say that I think it's unfair to say that you were passed over for a CT because you don't use stock photos. That really just belittles those who made CTs, and there are plenty of team members out there who don't use photos from DeviantArt. Don't get me wrong, though; it doesn't seem quite right that people use brilliant stock photos in applying to their CTs, since it's such a huge factor when designers are choosing.

Having said that, I think it's really obnoxious that someone gets nominated for a Scapper's Choice Award using a stock photo. That's just not right. And I'm really bugged by the overabundance of fantasy layouts out there. I'm sorry, but not every photo requires an extraction. With certain pictures and layouts, it really pops and looks amazing. But most of the time it feel so cliche.

I have used stock photos (legally) for instances when I didn't have a photo that fit the layout. For example, I journaled about a funny thing DD said while eating ice cream, and I used a stock photo of ice cream cones. I do think that using photos of people who are wholly unconnected with you is bizarre. I also agree that it could cause some serious copyright issues and is an issue that should be discussed openly so that people are aware of the legal complexities of using stock photos.

Old 05-14-2009, 11:37 AM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheltzey View Post
I do have to say that I think it's unfair to say that you were passed over for a CT because you don't use stock photos. That really just belittles those who made CTs, and there are plenty of team members out there who don't use photos from DeviantArt.
I think my word choice is wrong and presumptuous of the designer and CT.. however, it is sometimes telling when the ones who've made it to the team have a lot of stock photos used in their main gallery layouts, and then I get disappointed when I see this. It may be unfair but that's how I feel at the moment I find out. It's definitely not all the time, we have so many amazing photographers in our community. But well, I get over it after a while and learn my lesson not to apply at a CT call where the style of products don't really jive with my scrapping style.

I guess in the end, I don't really care about whether someone or other uses stock photos or deviantart to work their pages (as long as the photo use is legal . There could be tons of reasons why a stock photo is used in a page, and that's fine except for when it's not legal to use the photo.

Happily scrapping for:
Tracie Stroud, Dani Mogstad, Krystal Hartley, Megan Turnidge, Kristin Cronin Barrow
Scrap Orchard, Polka Dot Plum, Elemental Scraps

Last edited by alien21xx; 05-14-2009 at 11:51 AM.