Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2011, 03:09 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to scrappinsweetie
Default anyone have a kindle?

does anyone have a kindle here and if so, which one do you have. pros and cons? i am considering getting one in a few months and would like some opinions
Old 01-24-2011, 03:38 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE ♥♥ my kindle

I have the 6" 2nd generation with Wi-Fi - I didn't get the 3G b/c I had no use for that. I've been able to read more since getting my kindle in the past 4 mos than I did all of last year. The 6" is the perfect size for me...battery lasts forever...LOVE it

Old 01-24-2011, 03:39 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I just got mine last week. I have the basic wifi only one and so far I love it and can't really think of any cons!

Old 01-24-2011, 03:47 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Nikki, you said you didn't have a use for the 3G, it just has more room right? or is there something else it has that i missed? I am thinking of using mine for school too so I would probably need a lot of room.

btw, thanks for taking time to reply
Old 01-24-2011, 03:50 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

The only difference with the 3G is that it's able to access amazon and download books on the go in places wireless may not be available...I mostly use mine at home so I didn't need that.

if you go to this page and scroll down to the bottom it has all 3 versions and how they compare...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00.../ref=sv_kinh_0

Old 01-24-2011, 03:52 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

ok, thanks i missed that when i was looking at the comparisons. i need to pay attention better...LOL!
Old 01-24-2011, 03:57 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have the 6" 3G + WiFi...

I LOVE it! At first I thought that I would have liked a backlight, but if it's dark I should be sleeping. I would just buy a small clip-on light if I ever thought of it again.

We bought my Mom the same one for Xmas and she loves hers as well!!
Old 01-24-2011, 04:01 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

ME ME ME!!! I just got this one for Christmas (although I had the Kindle app on my computer and blackberry for months) and I can't imgine life before it!!!

Kindle Wireless Reading Device, Wi-Fi, Graphite, 6" Display with New E Ink Pearl Technology

And like Nikki I had/have no use for the 3G. I don't travel and on the rare rare occasion that I would I would have my laptop with me so if I was in dire need of a book (I have over 250 on my kindle right now that I haven't read) and the place I was staying didn't have WiFi, then I could download it to my computer and transfer it to my Kindle via the USB cord!!!!

If you don't think you will use the 3G, then save your $50 bucks and use that towards the purcahse of books!!!!

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 01-24-2011, 04:04 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

are any of them backlit? i don't see that in the comparison charts.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:05 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrappinsweetie View Post
are any of them backlit? i don't see that in the comparison charts.
No...they use e-ink so there's no backlight like on an ipad..but it doesn't bother me at all... and the great thing is you can read outside in broad daylight with no glare.

Old 01-24-2011, 04:07 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm ordering mine tomorrow(YAY) and it's the same one Elizabeth has!

I have 3G on my mobile phone when my wireless is off but it rarely works do I'd rather not spend money on the 3G Kindle!
Old 01-24-2011, 04:09 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I agree with Nikki!!! No way would I want a backlight!!!

Also just a note on the backlight....I spend a fair chunk of time on the discussion boards at Amazon and one of the things I've seen is people switching to the Kindle from the [Nook] or wishing they would have bought the Kindle because of the eye strain from reading an ereader with backlight. Especially people who work on computers all day (that are backlight) and then want to read at night too....it causes tons of eye strain.

Elizabeth

Last edited by mummytothree; 01-24-2011 at 04:12 PM.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:24 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Well I'm weird in that I have a Kindle 2 and I don't find that I really use it (it was a gift). I use the Kindle app on my iPhone a lot more. I just prefer the multi-tasking abilities that come with iPhone or the iPad. It means I can read a couple of blogs and then switch over and read some books. Plus it's one less item to carry around, make sure it's charged, etc. Since I rarely use my Kindle, I find that any time I want to use it, it has to be charged first because the battery runs down even if it's not being used. So that's a big negative for me. But my mom and my sister are both huge book readers and they really love their Kindles. By far my favorite feature is being able to just download books. If I didn't have an iPhone, I would use my Kindle just for that reason alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummytothree View Post
I agree with Nikki!!! No way would I want a backlight!!!

Also just a note on the backlight....I spend a fair chunk of time on the discussion boards at Amazon and one of the things I've seen is people switching to the Kindle from the [Nook] or wishing they would have bought the Kindle because of the eye strain from reading an ereader with backlight. Especially people who work on computers all day (that are backlight) and then want to read at night too....it causes tons of eye strain.
See and I use the Kindle app on my iPhone and one of the reasons I prefer it is due to the backlight. It means I can read without turning on a light which is useful on the nights when Adam goes to bed ridiculously early and I don't want to turn on the light and wake him up.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:30 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

LOVE my Kindle. I just have the basic one with wi-fi as I figured I'd be using it primarily at home and wouldn't need the 3G coverage. I use it daily and I've read so much more since I've gotten it than I did before. I love the instant gratification and the fact that I'm never without a book now. My sister and I've also started loaning each other books which expands my library even further.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:34 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I bought my son this one
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002Y27P3M/...l_98pmgzpmhj_e
for Christmas (he's 19). He loves it and takes it with him everywhere! He said it's his favorite thing ever! He is the one that didn't want the 3G and after researching them, I think not having backlit is better for reading. Easier on the eyes. He clips a light on at night!

My dh and I are both planning on getting one later this year too. We have stacks of books that we need to finish first!
Old 01-24-2011, 04:37 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I really want one, but my library doesn't support Kindle or iPad for borrowing books. I hate to pay for books I will only read once.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:47 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

I have the 6" graphite with only wifi also. There is no 3G in my house, I'd have to go stand outside on a slight rise to get signal so I was delighted when the wifi only option came out. My folks each have the white 2nd gen version with 3G, one of them has the international downloading option since they travel a lot.

I love mine. I am cheap about books so i don't buy often but there a lot of bargain priced books out there. I find a lot of good mysteries & fiction for $1.99 & $2.99, at least the first book or two in the series. Then they jump to $6.99 and I check them out of the library. The only time I pay more than $4 for a book it's something by a favorite author I would have bought in hardback the moment it was published anyway.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:15 PM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd

I have the Kindle 2 with 3G and Wi-Fi. I absolutely love it and I'm glad it doesn't have the backlight. That's what helps to keep the eyestrain down.

I don't have much more to say about it than the other girls have said. But, I just love my Kindle!!

Old 01-24-2011, 05:25 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely1m View Post
I really want one, but my library doesn't support Kindle or iPad for borrowing books. I hate to pay for books I will only read once.
I've only had my Kindle since Christmas but I used the apps for computer and blackberry for about 6 months before that and I have over 250 books on my Kindle and I've probably read 50 total since getting the apps that are in my "archives" and I haven't spent ONE DIME on books!!!!

And just a note on the Nook (my SIL has one and told me this), yes she can get books from her library but her library (she lives just outside of Georgia...so not some place out in the middle of no where) only has about 1800 TOTAL ebooks and usually only 1 title of each book and she waits weeks and weeks to get a book to read on her Nook ( my little library which covers 3 counties where I live only has 204 ebooks). She asked about it at her local library and it seems that most copies of ebooks are way more expensive to buy the actual physical books so the library doesn't invest much money in them.

Elizabeth

Old 01-24-2011, 05:36 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

After months of going back and forth between the nook and the kindle, my engineer hubby made the decision to go with the kindle, mainly do to the books he wanted to get for it... and price... I got him the 2 no wi. And for a guy who has always loathed reading, he uses it every single night. He loves the app feature on his phone so he can read at work on his lunch hour and while he is traveling.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:55 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I got one for Christmas and when I use it, I like it. I find myself reading more from the Kindle app on my iPhone, though, because I don't have a book light right now and I mostly read in bed before I go to sleep at night.

I don't have the 3G but I can't imagine I would really ever need it.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:19 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm hoping to get one next month and just plan on getting the Kindle Wi-fi for $139 (I don't have a need for the one w/3G), I've already got all kinds of free books on my PC that I've downloaded with the Kindle for PC and BB apps. I'm really excited to get it finally!!
Old 01-24-2011, 06:22 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

The reasons Lynette doesn't use hers, are the reasons I got an iPad instead of a Kindle after debating both. I wanted to read, but I love the multi tasking I can do on my iPad, and I love the backlight. I read when Tony is in bed sleeping next to me, and I don't have to turn on the light. I also have the kindle app on my phone, so if I don't want to take my iPad with me, I can just use my iPhone instead. Less stuff to take when I travel, though I prefer to read on my iPad. The iPhone is too small for these old eyes
Old 01-24-2011, 06:33 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummytothree View Post
I've only had my Kindle since Christmas but I used the apps for computer and blackberry for about 6 months before that and I have over 250 books on my Kindle and I've probably read 50 total since getting the apps that are in my "archives" and I haven't spent ONE DIME on books!!!!
Do you just search for free books or something when looking? If they are a large option, I would be totally down with that (especially for saving my swagbucks towards it). I carry my books around with me a lot and sometimes they are just so big and heavy since the library buys a ton of hardback books.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:38 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I had the kindle app on my Storm phone and loved all the free books I could get. After a while my eyes started hurting from the back light. I just received the Kindle wifi - no 3g and LOVE IT! I also bought the book cover with the light built into it and LOVE it as well. Every once in awhile I will still use my phone if I forgot my Kindle, but I wouldn't trade it.

If you go to the Kindle Store, click on Kindle ebooks, scroll down on the right it will say "top 100paid/top 100 free" ... scroll down until you see "see all best sellers" and it will list the newest free books. Just be careful on what you get for free ... some books are not "appropriate".
Old 01-24-2011, 07:48 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I too have a 2nd generation and have for over a year now and LOVE it... hubby got the new one and it rocks even more... nothing but good things from us.

Returning from a long scrapping hiatus!
Old 01-24-2011, 07:53 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely1m View Post
Do you just search for free books or something when looking? If they are a large option, I would be totally down with that (especially for saving my swagbucks towards it). I carry my books around with me a lot and sometimes they are just so big and heavy since the library buys a ton of hardback books.
I get my free books from this guy (yes it's .99 cents a month but more then 90% of my books come from him and to *ME* that's worth the .99 cents a month!!!) :

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Tips-Tr...=AG56TWVU5XWC2

From this page at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=2245146011

And this site:

http://www.smashwords.com/

Also "Like" Pixel Of Ink on Facebook, they have lots of free books too!! I also surf the Kindle boards at Amazon and there will be free books there too!!! I saw a new site there yesterday http://indiespot.myfreeforum.org/ but I didn't want to give my info there just yet since I don't really know who "runs it".

Elizabeth

Old 01-24-2011, 08:03 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

About the versions.. enough have been said, so I won't add much to it.

However, here's 2 links for getting cheap/free books.

http://www.kindleboards.com/index.php/board,42.0.html
Check the stickie threads for Free books and bargain books. Most books stay free for a day or two. So, I keep this thread open in my browser everyday and check it once a day. I can always delete/archive the book I don't like.

Check this list on Amazon on the right side for top 100 free books. You can bookmark that one and visit every once in a while for new free books. That will keep you supplied for a very long time without having to buy any new books.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:11 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

And I wanted to add this link....it's not free books but it's cheap books...nothing over $5 bucks and a lot of them are always less then $2 bucks!!!

http://dailycheapreads.com/

I have added a lot of them to my wishlist for when I do start buying books!!!

Elizabeth

Old 01-24-2011, 08:55 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to litabells

I'm hoping to get one for my birthday, so thanks ot all of you who have replied in this thread! I am now set on snagging the same one as Elizabeth has, and already have lots of pages bookmarked to scour for freebies lol Thanks ladies!
Old 01-24-2011, 09:01 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I have the oldie original and absolutely love it and couldn't imagine ever being without it. It's so darn handy! Thanks to everyone who's linked up resources for free/inexpensive books - love it!!!!

Old 01-24-2011, 09:28 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Oh, sounds great! I think maybe that's what I will save my swagbucks up for. I was gonna buy a few books I want to read again, but why spend $75 on those books, when I could save a little longer and get the reader.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:54 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

ok, i seriously need to search and see if they have any of my school textbooks available. if they don't then it is going to be pretty pointless for me to buy one. i really want one but i dont have a lot of time to read just for fun anymore i really hope that they do have some of my books for the kindle.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:24 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have a 2nd generation with 3G wifi. I love being able to search for a book and have it downloaded in less than a minute! ESPECIALLY when I am reading a series and I can't wait another second to see what happens in the next book. I know I should be more patient.....luckily my hubby knew me well when he bought this over a year ago for me.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE that is it not back lit. My eyes need the rest. I just invested in a great book light for reading in bed after my hubby calls it a night. He doesn't bother them so I just read away.

ALSO - Amazon has started letting people "share" or "loan out" their books! I have already read two of my sister's books. I love this feature. PLUS, you don't have to have a kindle to use it! ANYONE can borrow a book and use it on their smart phone or computer with the kindle app! AWESOME!
Old 01-24-2011, 11:30 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

I got mine for Christmas and love it!!! Just the basic wi-fi one and I haven't had any issues with it. There are a number on books on the amazon site for free and tons of them at good prices. You can also download Kindle for PC at amazon for free if you wanna get an idea for it.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:53 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have the K2 with WiFi and 3G, and I LOOOOVE it. It's attatched. permanently. lol.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:28 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrappinsweetie View Post
ok, i seriously need to search and see if they have any of my school textbooks available. if they don't then it is going to be pretty pointless for me to buy one. i really want one but i dont have a lot of time to read just for fun anymore i really hope that they do have some of my books for the kindle.
I haven't looked for textbooks, but my college freshman son called me frantic one night because he needed a book (a novel) for class the NEXT (of course) day. All the bookstores around us were out of the book, so I looked for an e-book and it was on the free Kindle list. He downloaded the Kindle for PC app and then downloaded the book. Took his laptop to class the next day.

I sincerely hope that e-books are the way of the future for college textbooks (as long as they are cheaper) since books are SOOOOO expensive each semester.

Oh, and I've been saving for a Nook Color, but you all have just about convinced me to go for the Kindle instead. I have to keep thinking about it.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:19 AM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

I have the regular Nook. I chose it because it can read library books and you can lend books. I love the thing! Its a large part of the reason I don't scrap as much anymore. My library has tons of books (although it does not seem to have new release fiction). People have said if your local library doesn't have many books to see if you are eligible to join a larger library for free or you can pay for the Philly library. Honestly, if you are not going to use the library there is no appreciable difference between the Nook and the Kindle. The Nook uses adobe format so there are just as many free books out there for it as the Kindle. They turn pages almost exactly the same, weigh the same, neither is backlit etc. . .If you want to use the library, you want the Nook.

The Nook Color is extremely cool! It runs on the android system and is basically an android Ipad. I would buy it in a second over an Ipad (but I am not an Apple gal).

I would avoid the Sony reader (propietary software that really limits your reading choices and free books) and the Cruz Reader and Tablet (Borders ereader that really blows chunks). My office is absessed with reading and we are about evenly split between Nooks and Kindles. Two people have returned Cruz Readers and Tablets a total of nine times and finally given up. One got a Kindle and the other got an Ipad.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:55 AM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

I have the 3 wifi only and LOVE IT. My bf has the 3 with 3g and have read like 12 books with it already since a couple of months.

I use it to store articles and recipes too, with Instapaper.

Basically, once you find a web page or an article, a blog post or anything you want to keep and read sometimes later (for me, recipes I like to have on handy...), i just click the "read later" button (for the pinterst gals, works like the pinterest button you add on your browser toolbar) and it saves it on your instapaper account. You can make collection and save them into category (i have news, craft projects, recipes...). then you can download them as a kindle files, and tranfer them.
(By the way, you can use instapaper even without a kindle).

All About ME
Old 01-25-2011, 07:46 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Speaking of free/cheap books..I've noticed that some popular authors have begun to offer their new releases for a limited time "free" to kindle users...I think it's an easy way for them to get word of mouth out there for their books kwim? You have to really watch for them but I've gotten several best sellers free that way. Also they like to offer older books in a series at reduced or even free prices if they have another in the series coming out...

Old 01-25-2011, 10:42 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkiARNGwife View Post
Also they like to offer older books in a series at reduced or even free prices if they have another in the series coming out...
Its smart marketing, I've bought quite a few books because I got one of the series free and had to keep going!

Old 01-25-2011, 02:00 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Once, they had 10 books of Unfortunate Events series for free just for one day! I grabbed them thinking my kids would love them.. and turns out they don't care for that series! lol But they might change their mind and when they do, I have the books waiting in their Kindle!
Old 01-25-2011, 05:48 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to kscwgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevada Jen View Post
I have the regular Nook. I chose it because it can read library books and you can lend books. I love the thing! Its a large part of the reason I don't scrap as much anymore. My library has tons of books (although it does not seem to have new release fiction). People have said if your local library doesn't have many books to see if you are eligible to join a larger library for free or you can pay for the Philly library. Honestly, if you are not going to use the library there is no appreciable difference between the Nook and the Kindle. The Nook uses adobe format so there are just as many free books out there for it as the Kindle. They turn pages almost exactly the same, weigh the same, neither is backlit etc. . .If you want to use the library, you want the Nook.

The Nook Color is extremely cool! It runs on the android system and is basically an android Ipad. I would buy it in a second over an Ipad (but I am not an Apple gal).

I would avoid the Sony reader (propietary software that really limits your reading choices and free books) and the Cruz Reader and Tablet (Borders ereader that really blows chunks). My office is absessed with reading and we are about evenly split between Nooks and Kindles. Two people have returned Cruz Readers and Tablets a total of nine times and finally given up. One got a Kindle and the other got an Ipad.
I love my sony.. and it reads pdf books.. not just the epub. The sony also uses my local library.
Old 04-02-2011, 01:31 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

ok, i know i have brought this up but i am really really torn again, between the kindle and the nook color. i know the library at school is nook compatable and they told me that they are working on being kindle compatable but right now they aren't. do i wait to do anything or just go with the nook color that i am really starting to love? wwyd?
Old 04-02-2011, 03:15 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've been wanting one for months, but hubby was set on the IPad. Instead, he got a touch-screen lappy, so I just ordered a Kindle with a hot pink lighted cover, since I red mostly in bed! Yay!

I want to slowly give away my books, since I have thousands (I'm not even kidding, I'm really an avid reader averaging 3/books a week), and I just don't have the space for it anymore and I'm tired of the clutter. I majored in History and French Lit, so there were many. many books to read.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:50 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Is a Kindle something special?

Because I have an eeader from Sony. The prs350. It's a 5 inch reader and I really love it. I also purchased the protector with light. It has no backlight and I don't want that. It makes my eyes tired. Now it just feels like reading a normal book. The light is perfect in bed! It lights exactly the right amount of space.

And think of all the space you will have in your suitcase during vacation!

Mine doesn't have Wifi or something special....I can only read with it. But I see myself grabbing it much quicker than an normal book.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:09 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I got my hubby the latest generation kindle (I have the previous model kindle 2 3g+wifi) and it has an even better resolution- when he doesn't use it, I will. But after reading in the amazon forums, I think I'll wait to "upgrade" when they come out with a kindle with color and/or tablet. I LOVE amazon's "buy it once, read it everywhere" idea- I love that I can buy a book and we can read at the same time on our kindles, or iphone, or PC... For whatever reason, I just prefer amazon to B&N too so it would be an easy decision for me. I also worried I'd miss the "feel" of a real book, so I prefer kindle with e-ink over reading with a backlight- that said, I have used my iphone and pc kindle apps before, but for the most part, when I'm reading, it's all I'm doing.

Returning from a long scrapping hiatus!
Old 04-03-2011, 11:13 AM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Nook color in a second. I just read something the other day that Nook Color is going to have the ability to send emails and will have apps and games avialable this spring. It was the March 24 posting on the Nook facebook page.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:52 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

DH got a Nook Color a few months ago and he LOVES it! Non stop reading, he is so happy. For him I think being able to read in bed with OUT turning the light on and also instant access to zillions of books any time, any where is the best part.

Before he would get a new book, read it all in one sitting, and then have to wait till he could go to the store again. With his Nook he can get a new book with out even getting out of bed if he wants!

You should def. get one, you will love it!

Old 04-04-2011, 02:50 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

ok, so let's keep the conversation going here. i am seriously about to order one of these but not sure which one yet.

kristin has said that one big advantage to teh nook is that you can borrow books from libraries. that is a HUGE factor for me because saving money is what i need to do right now. are there any other advantages that you girls can see? i do not want the nook color bc it is lcd and hard on the eyes.