Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2015, 11:28 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default The C word . .

So has anyone started thinking about Christmas yet?

I don't know about you but I am still kind of in denial that it's October! I know that Christmas will creep up on me really fast and last year I wasn't organised at all and found it really stressful buying things later than I was comfortable with even though I do most of my shopping online.

I've bought two or three things for the little one and a few stocking fillers but that's about it but I'm determined to create and get some cards printed soon and start getting more organised.

I get a little sad when it's this time of year because whilst I love the holidays they come and go so fast and it's like bam another year is over

Old 10-19-2015, 11:34 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm almost finished shopping.
Old 10-19-2015, 11:40 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I was almost scared to open this thread and THEN I clued in to what time of year it was so here I am LOL

I have started some shopping.... every year I say I am going to get it done early so I can stress less about money. October is almost gone.... not much longer left to be able to shop online (I hate shopping, especially when it gets busy during the holidays), and things are getting scary in the job security department so the stress is building. I just want to hide and hope no one notices. lol I'm sure everything will be fine, we always manage but still.... I hate the stress this time of year brings, it just keeps making it harder and harder to enjoy.
Old 10-19-2015, 11:54 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

No...I refuse.

Old 10-19-2015, 12:10 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I've been obsessively planning out this year's Christmas activities with Ali's release of all of her Daily December stuffs over the last few weeks. I haven't created any foundation pages or anything, but I've been going over last year's album for ideas, inspiration, etc. She should be blogging this year's foundation pages in the next couple of weeks, and I can't wait!

I don't have anything done for Christmas otherwise. I really wanted to try to get a family picture this year, but that didn't happen. I'll keep my eyes out for coordinating jammies and Christmas Eve outfits for the kids, but I usually buy everyone's presents in one fell Amazon swoop after Thanksgiving. NBD.
Old 10-19-2015, 12:16 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Now that my daughter is 15 and it's just the 2 of us at home now the holidays are pretty stress free for me. I'm just about done shopping as I don't actually buy a lot - 1 thing for each of my grand kids and a few things for my daughter, depending on the price tags. I make gifts for my parents, 2 sisters, and my son and his wife.

As far as gatherings/food/parties, etc. we're pretty low key - a family Christmas the Sunday before and then Christmas day with just the 2 of us and then we meet up with my son and his family at some point - either Christmas Eve or Christmas Day, depending on his work schedule (firefighter/paramedic) and when they visit his wife's family. We don't worry about it, we see each other eventually.

I don't have to worry about all the Elf on a Shelf, Santa, and all that stuff anymore... and it doesn't make me sad either. We still have our little traditions and we work them in around school, basketball, and work. I'm all about being stress free
Old 10-19-2015, 12:29 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

I had a talk with my boys this weekend and told them I needed them to sit down and make a list for me so that I can start shopping. I have already gotten stuff for my niece and nephew and I bought some new organizational containers to put stuff away this year because after moving it all this summer I decided that I need to go through and if I don't use it anymore I need to get rid of it.

Talking with my oldest son this weekend (he's 13), I flat out asked him what he thought of Santa and what the kids in school were saying about Santa. He said that some people think their parents are Santa. I asked him what he thought and he said that there was no way that I could be Santa because I would never buy him some of the things Santa brings him. I guess I've done too good with the whole lie thing and I'm going to have a kid in college who is still believing in Santa but at the same time I don't know how to tell him the truth. Any advice?
Old 10-19-2015, 12:40 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenM View Post
I had a talk with my boys this weekend and told them I needed them to sit down and make a list for me so that I can start shopping. I have already gotten stuff for my niece and nephew and I bought some new organizational containers to put stuff away this year because after moving it all this summer I decided that I need to go through and if I don't use it anymore I need to get rid of it.

Talking with my oldest son this weekend (he's 13), I flat out asked him what he thought of Santa and what the kids in school were saying about Santa. He said that some people think their parents are Santa. I asked him what he thought and he said that there was no way that I could be Santa because I would never buy him some of the things Santa brings him. I guess I've done too good with the whole lie thing and I'm going to have a kid in college who is still believing in Santa but at the same time I don't know how to tell him the truth. Any advice?
I asked my almost 12 year old this summer... something like, "what are you thoughts on Santa?" I was pretty sure that he knew, and he verified that he did. I was also pretty certain that he wouldn't get into a debate about it at school, but I felt like it was time for him to know. Take a look around on pinterest - I've seen some letters from parents explaining it in a way that I liked.
Old 10-19-2015, 12:43 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:

Kids grow up too fast.... I say let them stay "little" fr as long as possible. You never know... maybe the tables have turned and he's playing you so you don't miss the whole "him believing" thing.

I have a hard time with this... I still believe and I do all the jolly mans shopping, wrapping, assembling, delivering, etc. LOL I think it's easiest on the oldest to transition, because they grow out of it, but still get to 'pretend' because now they are old enough to help with the other little ones who still believe. My brothers we way older than me and did it for me.

It's hard to keep them in believing that magic... all the movies hint at it too much, and of course more and more people are dropping the tradition or it is becoming just as taboo as religion in the public eye... it's sad to me, but I understand where people are coming from. All I can do is do what I want for my family, and raise the boys in seeing the fun in it (even after they no longer believe) so the tradition can continue. Oh and social media.... forget it, even just reading over my shoulder it's all over the place how people are talking about stockings, the elf, and santa....... I feel like I'm just rambling now.... lol

Last year I kinda tried to hint at it with my oldest (then 12) when he didn't want to go see Santa at the mall, so I knew time was growing short with him... he was still right on with that Elf though!!! This year he's hinted himself of a little more disbelief so I asked him when we were alone if he was going to help me with his brothers this year.... so he's on board with learning and seeing what the "other side" is all about.
Old 10-19-2015, 12:44 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:

I have no advice. I was in 3rd grade when I stopped believing and at 15 my daughter tries to convince me that she believes in Santa still but I know she doesn't - LOL I don't know why she wants me to think she still believes either, I thought it was because she was afraid she wouldn't get as much for Christmas but Santa has never brings big ticket items and Santa absolutely does not bring electronics of any kind or anything that costs more than $30 - that was my rule with both my kids. Santa isn't rich, and neither am I, but if they're getting something expensive it damn well is coming from me and not the big guy
Old 10-19-2015, 02:27 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

This coming Christmas was kind of hard to think about because my husband is out of the country (because of work) and will not be back soon. But I have to make plans because of my daughter. I don't want her to think that she's not important to me because she is. And I wantto continue our tradition of waking up, opening presents and eating on Christmas eve. Skype will for sure

My in laws asked us early this year that we celebrate with them but I will have to turn them down. I'm planning on hybernating after the eve with my cuddly dd.
Old 10-19-2015, 03:33 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My husband and his ex-wife (mostly her) were concerned that people would pick on my stepson in middle school if he continued to confess to believing in Santa. He was 5'7" at that time (and now over 6' tall at almost 13 years old) so he doesn't exactly blend in.

Anyways, she sat him down and asked him what he thought of Santa. He was a little unsure and had heard talk in fifth grade, but was mostly worried that if he didn't believe anymore that he wouldn't get any more 'cool' gifts from Santa. She assured him that he would still get presents, especially as he has younger siblings at both houses who still believe, and that Santa was something fun that grownups and older kids did for little kids. I think he ended up filling up the stockings at their house, and he thought that was really cool.

Like others said, there are things online that you can Google, but really, I think a short conversation with your son would be just fine. You know him and his personality. How would he want to be told? Go with your mom gut!
Old 10-19-2015, 07:49 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennNtheBoys View Post
Kids grow up too fast.... I say let them stay "little" fr as long as possible. You never know... maybe the tables have turned and he's playing you so you don't miss the whole "him believing" thing.

I have a hard time with this... I still believe and I do all the jolly mans shopping, wrapping, assembling, delivering, etc. LOL I think it's easiest on the oldest to transition, because they grow out of it, but still get to 'pretend' because now they are old enough to help with the other little ones who still believe. My brothers we way older than me and did it for me.

It's hard to keep them in believing that magic... all the movies hint at it too much, and of course more and more people are dropping the tradition or it is becoming just as taboo as religion in the public eye... it's sad to me, but I understand where people are coming from. All I can do is do what I want for my family, and raise the boys in seeing the fun in it (even after they no longer believe) so the tradition can continue. Oh and social media.... forget it, even just reading over my shoulder it's all over the place how people are talking about stockings, the elf, and santa....... I feel like I'm just rambling now.... lol

Last year I kinda tried to hint at it with my oldest (then 12) when he didn't want to go see Santa at the mall, so I knew time was growing short with him... he was still right on with that Elf though!!! This year he's hinted himself of a little more disbelief so I asked him when we were alone if he was going to help me with his brothers this year.... so he's on board with learning and seeing what the "other side" is all about.
I totally feel the same way!! Kids are forced to grow up too quickly and I don't want him too! He's in 8th grade right now and we went to a meet the teacher night and they were already talking about college and stuff! I don't remember having to worry about college until I was a junior in high school!

Sorry for hi-jacking the thread with my kiddo issues. Part of me thinks he is saying he believes so that I won't stop getting him presents.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:36 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I have been done with my Christmas shopping. Infact a few weeks ago I was going to start wrapping the presents, but decided not to. Then when my grandmother died, I knew wrapping presents would make me happy. I got them all out and realized hubby is coming home for a visit the end of the month and he'd like to see the kids presents since he'll still be deployed at Christmas. So I put them all back. Every day I see them in the totes and I can't wait to show them to hubby, much less I'll use that wrapping time to comfort myself after he leaves!!

So yes, I've been looking towards Christmas since January when my husband left. But only because that means he is returning home a few weeks later!! My motivation was wrong, but it's what got me through this year!
Old 10-23-2015, 11:03 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I used to shop for Christmas WAY early. I mean, I'd be done by Sept. 1st. These days I start mid December. The older my kids get (and my niece and nephews) the harder they are to shop for. It is easier to wait and buy the last minute things I know they will love. I must say that there is a LOT less pressure these days too. Every year we buy less and spend more time relaxing and enjoying. - My kids don't really want or need anything at this point so they have nothing on their Christmas list. Kind of disheartening for me, actually, as my son turns 10 in 2 weeks and I have no idea what to get him for his birthday. LOL - Last year the kids got iPad minis for Christmas. Now that they have those they don't really need other forms of electronics. They don't play with toys. We read most of our books on kindle or borrow from the library. They don't need clothes. My son wants a cat... we have 2, I doubt we will be getting another. I have no ideas. LOL
Old 10-24-2015, 12:37 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Totally feel the same as Sherri. My kids don't really need anything at this point, they don't play with their toys as often anymore, and we are pretty good for electronics. I haven't started shopping yet, but thinking about getting the girls each an iPod Touch and then art supplies and science type kits.
Old 10-24-2015, 02:44 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have started shopping but I am trying to scale back even more this year. My girls are 6 1/2 and 8 and they have a lot of stuff and they don't play with half of it. We generally do.. Something They Want, Something they Need, Something to Wear, Something to Read, Something to Watch and a board game for each to help build our game collection. I have already bought several things like jewelry boxes for them, headphones for one, some clothes, Mousetrap, and some stocking stuffers. I am trying to be thoughtful with the process and not just buy junk. They still believe in Santa and we do the elf (which means I need to find mine again, darn that elf!). Now it is just a matter of keeping an eye out on some good deals especially on board games, DVDs, and clothes.

I have also bought my December Daily stuff. I am using Ali Edwards's stuff and trying my hand at paper scrapping.
Old 10-24-2015, 04:35 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I already started working on handmade Christmas gifts two months ago or more. I've finished most and just have finishing touches left. I've got our card semi designed just waiting on kits and pics to finalize. I don't have kids to buy for so that does make it easier.
Old 10-25-2015, 12:35 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Well, the baby is coming in January, so my "to do" list is about a million and a half miles long. I've got house projects to finish, decluttering to tackle, and so much stuff to buy and organize. And my baby shower will actually be at my house in early December, so I've got to get it all done before then! lol.

But I'm totally not worried about it. I figure nesting will help me get knock it all out.

Plus, after a couple of years of rather depressing holidays, it's so very nice to be looking forward to next year with our own kiddo!
Old 10-26-2015, 01:29 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I want to make some hybrid cards this year so will get started on them over the next month. I will start shopping next month and the tree will go up the first weekend in December. It all comes and goes so quickly!
Old 10-26-2015, 01:52 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Nope. Haven't even started thinking about it yet. One daughter had her birthday in October and the other is having hers late November, so I'm still in birthday mode here. Buying Christmas gifts for my girls is always hard, as they get most of what they want for their birthdays, and don't ask for much else come Christmas. Hubby is another really hard one to buy for. He has everything he needs already, and is a perfectionist, so would rather choose his own things and get it right. I don't have to buy for anyone else though, so that's one less thing to worry about.

Instead of buying for nephews/nieces/grandparents etc, our various families donate to a different charity/cause of our choice, and tell everyone what we chose/did/helped with on Christmas Day. My family chose to donate to the national Children's Hospital the last few years, but I'm thinking this year we might donate to a cause for the Syrian Refugee Crisis instead.
Old 10-26-2015, 04:39 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

So Gymbo released more of its Christmas stuffs today...

and Ali's DD class opened registration today as well.

CHRISTMAS HAS BEGUN!!!
Old 10-26-2015, 04:58 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

I've bought all sorts of stuff for my DIY decorations already! Since my little kitty cat is some sort of wrecking ball, I'm afraid to put up the tree this year. So I started looking for alternative decorations and that got me so excited that I've already bought some "ingredients". Haven't out anything up yet, but that'll probably happen next month.