Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2018, 07:11 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Default To journal or not to journal, that is the question

I love to journal. I love to tell my story because let's face it, I have a terrible memory and if I don't, years from now I'll forget all those details. If you don't see journaling in my gallery, chances are it's on my printed page.

What about you:
Do you journal
Do you journal LOTS or just a few details like date/location?
Do you HATE to journal and never do it - why?

I know, this is a loaded question, but I'm always curious to see what people say, especially when it comes to journaling!
Old 03-28-2018, 08:06 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Do you journal Yes, and I like to make pages that are more like pretty journal entries.
Do you journal LOTS or just a few details like date/location? It depends on what my page is about; if it's just about an event, then I usually just keep it to the details, but if there is something important to say, I'll say it, too.
Do you HATE to journal and never do it - why? Sometimes I like to just make a pretty page with photos I love, and I'm okay with that. I don't always feel like I have to say something on every page.
Old 03-28-2018, 08:20 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

My main reason for starting to scrap was to have a way to pair the stories and details with the photos. So yes, I journal most pages. My Project Life pages are heavily journaled, but my non-PL pages can have anything from 3 sentences of the facts to a few paragraphs.

As my kids get older, I'm doing more factual journaling and somewhat less journaling overall; that's why my PL pages have a lot more journaling than my other pages. Part of it is that tweens and teens don't generate as many cute stories and quotes (and are more reluctant to have those shared), and part of it is that I'm less comfortable being their voices at 9, 12, and 14 than when they were little. I don't always know what they're thinking and feeling anymore, even when I think I do.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Last edited by rach3975; 03-28-2018 at 08:22 PM.
Old 03-28-2018, 09:27 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Yes, I almost always journal.

I'm a much better writer than I am scrapper; I scrap so that people are more likely to read my stories. On the rare occasion that I get a GSO, it is always because my page is mostly or all journaling.
Old 03-28-2018, 09:48 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I try to journal on most of my layouts! Sometimes there isn't much of a story to tell, so I don't journal much on those pages. Other times, I have to play around with my fonts and sizes so I can fit all the journaling I want to do onto my layout! If I don't journal, I at least try to add the date and who is featured on the layout. Sometimes, if there are multiple people on my page, I will label each photo with the name of the person. 20 years from now,my grandkids will want to know who is in each photo and the story behind it!
Old 03-28-2018, 09:50 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I almost never journal. I don't really have a good reason why
Old 03-28-2018, 10:11 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

A little bit of the three. Sometimes I scrap photo/s that doesn't need journaling because it speaks for itself, so I just put the dat and location. Sometimes I journal because the template is asking for it and/or because I wanted to tell the story about/behind the photo. Sometimes I get emotional scrapping a photo that I write a journal in a dedication of letter form for my daughter.

Last edited by cherrygutz; 03-28-2018 at 10:14 PM.
Old 03-28-2018, 10:24 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

I don't journal very much and it's mainly because I feel like I don't know what to always say and what I do say sounds so stupid to me. I try to include dates if I have them so someday the kids will at least know when it was or how old they were but I really suck at journaling overall.

Old 03-29-2018, 12:04 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleSheri View Post
I almost never journal. I don't really have a good reason why
Same

Old 03-29-2018, 01:35 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I always journal. Sometimes a sentence or two, but usually a paragraph. As I've transitioned in my scrapping, Project Life captures most of the small daily details, the journaling has become more important, as my pages are mostly things we have done.
Old 03-29-2018, 01:37 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I almost never not journal (did that make sense?? Lol) I write it all from my kids’ perspectives because it’s their book and I like that they tell the story themselves. I will never remember these details later in lofe!!

Old 03-29-2018, 05:05 AM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

I try to, I really do! but I am not very good with words so that is my biggest struggle when scrapping.. but I've been working on it, that's for sure
Old 03-29-2018, 05:24 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

If there's a story behind a photo or something that I want to remember, yes, although its often still fairly brief. I'm not super talkative in real life and hence I'm not always super 'talkative' on my pages. A few words or sentences is usually enough.

For pages I post online I don't often do much journalling at all.
Old 03-29-2018, 06:22 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I am definitely a journaler. I always tell the story if there's one to tell about the photos and if there really isn't a story I at least journal the date and where we were/what we were doing in the photos.

Now that my kids are grown, I journal from my perspective even though it's their albums. I include my thoughts about the event/place/person.

I do of course have some layouts where I don't journal; once in a while it's just not needed.
Old 03-29-2018, 09:28 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I rarely ever journal and when I do it’s almost always added to my layouts after the fact for printing. I don’t know why but I honestly find it to personal and prefer to keep it off the pages I post only adding for personal use. I know I’m a bit odd
Old 03-29-2018, 10:10 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

It really depends on what I'm scrapping but my journalling is usually scarce. Most often I just add the date, place, event. However, if the thing I am scrapping is unique or very important I try to tell the story.
--
Mama to Albert
Old 03-29-2018, 12:07 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I wish I was better at journaling. There are times when it flows easily, but most of the time, I really struggle to get words on the page. I'm going back to do old photos and I really hope I remember the details so that I can get them on the pages for my kids!
Old 03-29-2018, 04:32 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I use to hate journaling.

But now I look at older pages and wish I had done it because I'm missing the context, or the cute little story that I wish I remembered.

I do it more and more. I just tell the story of the photo to you viewers that way I know that it can be read easily by others (my kids and grand kids in the future)
Old 03-31-2018, 06:44 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I don't usually journal. I hate journaling and have a difficult time incorporating it on my page. If I add something - it is small like date/location or a couple of words.
Old 03-31-2018, 07:17 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by luan37 View Post
I use to hate journaling.

But now I look at older pages and wish I had done it because I'm missing the context, or the cute little story that I wish I remembered.

I do it more and more. I just tell the story of the photo to you viewers that way I know that it can be read easily by others (my kids and grand kids in the future)
This was me...I look back at my printed albums and wonder why I scrapped it. Since then I try to add journaling because you aren't always going to be there to tell the story!
Old 03-31-2018, 10:43 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I hate hate hate journaling! I'm a math girl so writing/story telling is difficult for me. It's the last thing I do on a layout.
Old 03-31-2018, 11:10 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

I enjoy journalling and getting those stories down on paper. Often I'll have at least a couple of paragraphs of writing on my page. I think of it as memory keeping for the future, that my children (who will be one day grown) will be interested in our lives back when we were little.

Creative for Grace Lee & Scrapping with Liz
Guesting for LJS Designs in Nov-Dec 2020
Old 04-01-2018, 12:52 AM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

Once I figured out the voice I wanted to use in my books, most of my pages include some journaling to tell the story (or to tell the adjacent story of the day). It took a bit of time to figure out how to write for myself rather than the gallery audience. I have been scrapping more pages without journaling, though. I take a lot of pictures just to take pictures with different backgrounds, so those sometimes get scrapped without journaling since otherwise I'd just waste space saying I saw a photo spot so stopped.
Old 04-01-2018, 01:32 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I also like to sort of journal through the title sometimes. It’s hard to get out right sometimes, and doesn’t always work, but a longer more wordy title will sometimes take place of journaling for me

Old 04-01-2018, 05:43 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I love to journal. My kids' favourite pages are the journal ones. I don't always have journalling on my pages, especially if I'm trying to get pages done quick for the designers, but I always date each layout. Looking back through my gallery however - I'm always drawn to the journal heavy layouts most. I don't want to just leave my kids with photos. I want them to know the story behind it and how I feel about them. I also want to leave stories about me and my life.
Old 04-01-2018, 05:17 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

It depends on the page, what the page is for and the mood I'm in if that makes sense.

My year in review books have journaling, some pages have snippets, some a few lines and some a story or two.
Old 04-01-2018, 09:11 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

I dont usually but only because the android app I use makes it painfully difficult. Otherwise my pages would be filled with journaling
Old 04-01-2018, 09:13 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I love to journal.
My layouts are all about the memories, so I always want to put at least a couple of lines on what´s going on on the pictures.

Made using Selfie Addict by Digilicious Designs