Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 01-01-2018, 02:51 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default OMG Instant Pot...WOW!

My DD gave me one for Christmas and my DH and I have been having so much fun using it! She got hers last year through Amazon Prime at a great price. She uses hers constantly and it's perfect for a working wife. Hard boiled eggs peel so fast and perfect. Chicken soup, chicken casserole style dinner are delicious.

Haven't tried rice yet because I only have instant. Have read good and bad reports on using instant.
I have a stove top pressure cooker that I've had forever and ever and love it. But using the instant pot has won me over.

I'm constantly googling and reading about it and getting recipes.

Wow, what a great invention!!
Old 01-01-2018, 03:36 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

It's the best! I got my mom one for christmas this year and she just called me to let me know she was happy about how easy the hardboiled eggs were to peel.

It's saved me a lot this last year with getting meals made fast before my husband leaves for work on night shift. I have a hard time remembering to take out meat from the freezer and it's been so nice not having to worry about defrosting things first.
Old 01-01-2018, 03:40 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yes, frozen meat/poultry is no problem. Glad your mom loves hers too. Happy Instant Potting!
Old 01-01-2018, 04:01 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I bought an Instant Pot on Amazon Day, but haven't used it a lot yet. I've made hard boiled eggs & rice. Both have been fabulous. I'm just so terrible at planning meals! One of my goals for 2018 is to get organized and start planning better.
Old 01-01-2018, 04:10 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I've had mine for over a year and I think I'm one of the few who hates it. The only thing my family doesn't complain about is the rice (we use Jasmine). Everything else they complain because "it's mixed". I did make chicken thighs when my IL's were visiting last year. My family complained, but his family liked it--go figure!

If you are on Facebook, you should join Instant Pot Community. So many fabulous recipes shared there. I love it. I just wish my family didn't mind mixing foods because it would be so nice to be able toss it all in the IP and be done with it!

If you need special recipes, try searching FB for other groups. I'm part of a Diabetic, Healthy Recipes, Vegan and Vegetarian group. There's so many of them, you just have to do a search. But the main one, the one I linked, has over a million users!
Old 01-01-2018, 04:17 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm sorry your family doesn't like it, Wendy. Thanks for the tip! I would like to use mine more. I'm starting Trim Healthy Mama today. Hopefully I can find a group or recipes online that will work with the new eating plan!!
Old 01-01-2018, 04:28 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I bought my husband one for Christmas last year (so he's had it a year). We've used it one time.

Old 01-01-2018, 04:31 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie1977 View Post
I bought my husband one for Christmas last year (so he's had it a year). We've used it one time.
Lol what did you make

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 01-01-2018, 04:38 PM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

We made Korean braised oxtail in it last night. It was wonderful and took only 1 hour! I love my instant pot.
Old 01-01-2018, 04:49 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinCB View Post
Lol what did you make

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Ribs...they were pretty good. The problem with it is he loves to cook. It's his thing. So that machine takes the fun out of it for him. He doesn't mind standing by the stove stirring.

Old 01-01-2018, 06:21 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I keep hearing about these but I have no idea what they do. Are they like a Thermomix? I'd rather pay $150 for an instant pot than $2000+ for a thermomix. Their website isn't really much help.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Old 01-01-2018, 06:30 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

We've had ours for probably a year and a half and we love it. I don't use it all the time but I think two or three times a week on average. There's a few things that I can't imagine not using it for now.
Old 01-01-2018, 06:36 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by flergs View Post
I keep hearing about these but I have no idea what they do. Are they like a Thermomix? I'd rather pay $150 for an instant pot than $2000+ for a thermomix. Their website isn't really much help.

I don't know that Thermomix looks amazing, but pricey! I was trying to find something that explained what an IP was or what it did. Basically it's a high pressure cooker and cuts the cooking times. You can throw frozen food in there and it cooks it like it were fresh!!

Here's an article from NY Times trying to describe what it was and their experience with the IP.
Old 01-01-2018, 06:50 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I love our instant pot - but my husband has used it more than I do. He loves to make chicken soup from scratch in it. haha We have had a few fails, but more successes. My mom got one and I thought she didn't like it - twice when we went over for dinner, she was making a pork roast and it came out raw. Yet, she said that when they were packing for spending the next two months in Florida - she was taking her Instant Pot! haha.

I second the Instant Pot Community group - I don't make any recipe unless it's recommended by the users on this site...
Old 01-01-2018, 07:04 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by flergs View Post

We call them Multi Cookers here. JB Hi Fi, Harvey Norman, Good Guys all have a good range to choose from. I got one in November (a Philips brand, ~$200) and LOVE it!!! I don't know why I didn't get one years ago. I mainly use it for slow cooking - did a lamb leg on Sunday (like 8 hours cooking) and OMG, best thing ever! The meat just falls off the bone and is so tender and flavoursome. Also great for making broths, soups, casseroles... I haven't tried it for too many other things yet but its supposed to be good for rice, risotto, saute, even baking and making yoghurt. Its programmed with cooking times/temperatures for different things so you just press the button and off it goes and does its thing - or you can choose cooking times manually.

Last edited by jak; 01-01-2018 at 07:07 PM.
Old 01-01-2018, 07:21 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I see they're pretty cheap at Good Guys etc.... I never used my slow cooker much, so I'm wary of whether I'll use this too.

Old 01-01-2018, 09:51 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I'm too terrified of one exploding on me to get it. We had a canning incident when I was a kid (similar process to the instant pot) and it's too freaky for me to use one! I hear so many stories of people loving it but I can't bring myself to buy one.

Old 01-01-2018, 09:51 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I had never heard of these until AFTER Christmas and seeing pretty much everyone I know talk about the ones they got as gifts.... it sounds like something I would LOVE and now I'm a little bummed out I had never heard of one sooner so I could have added it to my wishlist. LOL
Old 01-02-2018, 03:12 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftytam View Post
I bought an Instant Pot on Amazon Day, but haven't used it a lot yet. I've made hard boiled eggs & rice. Both have been fabulous. I'm just so terrible at planning meals! One of my goals for 2018 is to get organized and start planning better.
So far I haven't "planned a meal" just trrown in frozen chicken, frozen vegetables, water and either a can of creamed chix/mushroom soup or V-8 juice, stewed toms. My DD loves doing a pork roll in her's.

Try it, I bet you'll like it!
Old 01-02-2018, 03:20 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverland Scraps View Post
I've had mine for over a year and I think I'm one of the few who hates it. The only thing my family doesn't complain about is the rice (we use Jasmine). Everything else they complain because "it's mixed". I did make chicken thighs when my IL's were visiting last year. My family complained, but his family liked it--go figure!

If you are on Facebook, you should join Instant Pot Community. So many fabulous recipes shared there. I love it. I just wish my family didn't mind mixing foods because it would be so nice to be able toss it all in the IP and be done with it!

If you need special recipes, try searching FB for other groups. I'm part of a Diabetic, Healthy Recipes, Vegan and Vegetarian group. There's so many of them, you just have to do a search. But the main one, the one I linked, has over a million users!
Thanks for the fb info, haven't tried there yet, but certainly will!
Too bad your family doesn't like mixed meals. But you can alway do spaghetti, mac and cheese, etc in the pot. Cooking meat/chix in it and doing the veggies and extras on the stove. The cooking time of meats is fast and can be done while cooking the rest of the meal on top of the stove.
Good luck, hope you find meals not mixed together that they will like.
Old 01-02-2018, 03:23 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie1977 View Post
Too bad...you should use it!
My husband is loving playing with it along with me.
Old 01-02-2018, 03:24 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceLee View Post
We made Korean braised oxtail in it last night. It was wonderful and took only 1 hour! I love my instant pot.
It's so quick compared to using the stove or oven. Glad you like yours!
Old 01-02-2018, 03:35 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have a crock pot and use it lots during the winter months. Now I need to us the slow cooker button on my IP.
I have no worries about using the IP presser cooker. Have used the stove top one for 45 plus years and no problems.
Old 01-02-2018, 03:39 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi&co. View Post
I'm too terrified of one exploding on me to get it. We had a canning incident when I was a kid (similar process to the instant pot) and it's too freaky for me to use one! I hear so many stories of people loving it but I can't bring myself to buy one.
I can understand you being hesitant to use an IP with what happened years ago. Things have improved so much through the years.

Personally I have no worries about using the IP presser cooker. Have used the stove top one for 50 plus years and no problems.
Old 01-02-2018, 11:42 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx-nana-scraps View Post
So far I haven't "planned a meal" just trrown in frozen chicken, frozen vegetables, water and either a can of creamed chix/mushroom soup or V-8 juice, stewed toms. My DD loves doing a pork roll in her's.

Try it, I bet you'll like it!
Thanks, Sandy!
Old 01-03-2018, 05:47 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Sounds like another machine I “need”! Lol

Creating for Crystal Livesay - Mar 2018 to Present
Creating for LJS Designs - Aug 2018 to Present
Guest for Kristin Cronin-Barrow - Nov/Dec 2017 & Mar/Apr 2019
Guest for Studio Basic - Nov/Dec 2018
Old 01-03-2018, 09:04 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by luan37 View Post
Sounds like another machine I “need”! Lol
If you love delicious food fast it's for you. So much you can do with it. The chicken shreds as you cut it and my DD says her pork rools are the same way, like pulled pork.
Old 01-07-2018, 08:05 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I don't have an instant pot but a pressure cooker (pretty much the same thing) and I just made myself a cheesecake for the first time. It was pretty easy to do and came out great! Here is a pic of one of the slices.

Old 01-07-2018, 09:14 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsashbaugh View Post
I don't have an instant pot but a pressure cooker (pretty much the same thing) and I just made myself a cheesecake for the first time. It was pretty easy to do and came out great! Here is a pic of one of the slices.
Oh that looks so yummy! One of these days I might try making one, love cheese cake!!
Old 01-08-2018, 08:28 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Sheana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverland Scraps View Post

I thought I was the only one that hated it! We've had it for about 6 months and used it a handful of times and I just don't like anything about it.
Old 01-08-2018, 08:33 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
That looks delicious!

Old 01-08-2018, 11:40 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We bought a big pork loin at Costco and cut it in three pieces, cooked one and froze the other two. When I found a receipe for pork loin/roast it was done with sauerkraut and chopped apples. Wow, was it delicious.

For 45 plus years I've used a stove top pressure cooker and thought I loved it until the Instant Pot! What a joy to cook with the IP.
Old 01-08-2018, 05:11 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Yum! It looks legit!

Creating for Crystal Livesay - Mar 2018 to Present
Creating for LJS Designs - Aug 2018 to Present
Guest for Kristin Cronin-Barrow - Nov/Dec 2017 & Mar/Apr 2019
Guest for Studio Basic - Nov/Dec 2018