Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 12-11-2013, 07:46 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Cs 6 help, please?

I'm trying to scrap with CS6 and I have this weird problem with the aspect ratio when resizing an element. I'm holding down my shift key to keep the ratio, only the horizontal and vertical scale are not always equal. To keep them equal I have to click on the "maintain aspect ratio" button every time I resize. Is there a better way??

Happily creating for Joyce Paul designs, Rachel Jefferies, Lynn Grieveson designs
& guesting for Micheline Lincoln designs.

Old 12-11-2013, 07:49 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Which little selector dot are you using? I think holding SHIFT to maintain the ratio only works on the corner dots.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:01 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Happily creating for Joyce Paul designs, Rachel Jefferies, Lynn Grieveson designs

Old 12-11-2013, 09:02 AM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

She means which dot are you clicking and dragging on the rectangle that bounds the item you're resizing. Even if you are holding shift, if you click and drag one of the ones other than the corner, it does not maintain aspect ratio.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:08 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oeps! I'm clicking in the corner...

Old 12-11-2013, 09:22 AM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

i have the same issue. i just wished that ps had an option to permanently use the right aspect ratio while resizing, cause i rarely use it the other way.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:00 PM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

OK, I did some digging around and found that someone wrote a script that calls free transform with the maintain aspect ratio button already clicked. You can install the script, and then create an action that calls the script, and give the action a keyboard shortcut. Then you use that shortcut whenever you want to resize something.

Adobe should make this easier. But if, like me, you don't want to wait for them to get around to that, here's what you can do.

1. Download the script. It's here. (I named it transformMAR for "maintain aspect ratio." If you want to call it something more interesting, you can rename the part before the .jsx. Whatever is there will be what's in your script menu, if you care about that. )

2. Install it. Installing scripts is much the same as installing any other preset. First, copy the script into the Presets/Scripts subfolder:
Mac: <hard drive>/Applications/Adobe Photoshop CS6/Presets/Scripts/
PC: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS6\Presets\Scripts\
(replace the bold with your version of PS if you don't have CS6)
Then, after you quit and restart Photoshop, the newly installed scripts will automatically appear in the File » Scripts submenu (in alphabetical order).

3. Record an action where all you do is run the script. Make sure to choose a function key in the dialog that pops up when you press the new action button. That will be the button(s) you press whenever you want to resize. (If you don't know how to record an action, Zoe wrote a tut here on the SSD blog.)

Full disclosure: I didn't write the script. The guy who did just posted the code on Adobe's forum here, but I went ahead and saved it to a file to make it easier on y'all. I tested it out and it appears to work just fine with no side effects!
Old 12-12-2013, 03:52 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh my, I was hoping for a quick and simple solution to keep that button down. This is a bit overwhelming, but I'll dive into it. I know how to record an action, but I have never installed a script before.
Thank you so much for your help!!

Old 12-12-2013, 04:21 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I'm not sure if this would work, but I googled and found where someone said to uncheck the the "Snap Vector Tools and Transforms to Pixel Grid" under the General section in Preferences in response to someone else posting that they were having the same issue.

Honestly, I've never had the problem you describe (I also use CS6), and that box is checked for me. So, I don't know if that relates to the issue you're having or not. Worth a shot though!
Old 12-12-2013, 04:50 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

That's it!!
I unchecked the box and the aspect ratio now remains!!
Thank you so much, it was so annoying...

Last edited by AJM; 12-12-2013 at 04:58 AM.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:01 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Oh good! Glad it helped!