Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 04-06-2019, 12:31 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default Framed Photos on Walls

We're nearing the end of clearing out my Grandparent's house after my Grandpa's passing on March 20th. (He was 104 - just 2 months & 3 days from his goal of 105, so we're going with 105 )

My Grandma didn't throw anything away. Well, truthfully, neither of my Grandparents did, as they were raised during the Great Depression. We are surprised at how much stuff we're finding packing into drawers and closets!!

As I'm clearing out frames and taking photos to scan for the family, I've found that my Grandma just added new school photos on top of the old ones, and left the rest in the frames too.

It's made me wonder about putting photos up on your walls at home.

1 - Do you have family photos hanging on your walls? (This may sound like a silly question, but my mom doesn't really like having family photos on her walls)

2 - If you do have family photos up, do you just add to new ones and leave the old, or do you switch them out? OR...do you just never switch them out?
Old 04-06-2019, 12:58 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I have 2 "gallery walls" in our house. I'd probably have more if I had the space! I love having photos on my walls.

I don't really change them out (I've never put up school pictures), but I do add to them. Now I have a wedding photo of my Great-Grandparents on my Grandpa's side, so I'm excited to be able to hang it up!

Old 04-06-2019, 01:02 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I have them on my wall next to the stairs in the hall. Keep putting new ones up.
Old 04-06-2019, 01:57 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I love decorating with family photos! In addition to a few photos here and there, there are 4 spaces where photos are the main decoration.

1. Above our couch there is a grouping of 4 10x14's. I just printed 2 more so we can expand it to 6 frames, since we got a new, longer couch. We've only had them up a year so I haven't changed any yet. It's a mix of old and new photos. The "old" ones from when the kids were little I probably won't change out, but there are some "current" photos that I'll probably change every year or two.

Above our fireplace I have the kids' 8x10 school photos. Those get changed yearly.

Above our bed I have 3 older group photos of the 3 kids. I haven't changed them since I hung them (7 years ago?) but I was just thinking yesterday that they needed to be updated.

Finally, I have 2 large magnet boards in the family room. Each one has an 8x10 and 4 5x7's. I had lofty goals to swap photos out every few months, but I haven't been good about getting photos printed for it. The current ones have been there about a year, and I'll either update them all over April break or once work ends for the summer. There are a few there that won't get changed, like the one of me and DH while we were dating and the one of his parents, who have passed away. This is what the magnet boards look like, since they're probably the only one hard to picture:

(All the photos should have white borders, but I messed that up when I ordered the most recent group of 5x7's.)
Old 04-06-2019, 04:27 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have 4 photo frames (5x7) up near my entry door. They are for the girls school photos. I put the most updated one in the frame each year. I take the previous year out and place it in their Creative Memories baby albums and write the year, their teacher, school etc underneath it.

I do have a wall of family and trip photos though. These are 8x10 family ones that I just leave up. If we get a new photo, I add a new frame for it. The smaller travel photos I change out every once in a while and just give to the girls. (I have the digital copies). They like to put them in frames in their rooms or place them on their walls.
Old 04-06-2019, 06:24 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Photos are my main house decor. Easy to do! I add new photos to the frames & just put them in front of the current pics...so I'll be like your grandma when I pass away.
Old 04-06-2019, 06:38 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I love your gallery walls, Tammy!

My husband hates having our pictures on the wall, so I only have a canvas wrap of our family from 2014 hanging in our kitchen and a set of four photos (5 of us, me & Joel, 2 boys, the girl) on canvas in our bedroom. So nothing in frames, actually. I should probably replace them, but it seems like a lot of trouble.
Old 04-06-2019, 08:50 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I don't decorate with photos. I have three photos up - one of our family and the second just of J... both horrible from our church directory from like 4 years ago... and the third is our wedding photo... and that is like 15 years old. My son hasn't had professional photos done since he was 6 months old! I'm pretty sure the first two are covering other photos - what am I going to do with 8x10 photos when I'm a digi scrapper? hahaha
Old 04-06-2019, 08:58 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I want to have a gallery wall! I think that would look nice! I have some up and they're spaced out and it looks weird, I think a cluster would look better and would fit more on the wall. Need to do this so bad because I have a lot of prints (larger, like 5x7 and 8x10) that I need to put up!
Old 04-07-2019, 12:41 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach3975 View Post
I love decorating with family photos! In addition to a few photos here and there, there are 4 spaces where photos are the main decoration.

1. Above our couch there is a grouping of 4 10x14's. I just printed 2 more so we can expand it to 6 frames, since we got a new, longer couch. We've only had them up a year so I haven't changed any yet. It's a mix of old and new photos. The "old" ones from when the kids were little I probably won't change out, but there are some "current" photos that I'll probably change every year or two.

Above our fireplace I have the kids' 8x10 school photos. Those get changed yearly.

Above our bed I have 3 older group photos of the 3 kids. I haven't changed them since I hung them (7 years ago?) but I was just thinking yesterday that they needed to be updated.

Finally, I have 2 large magnet boards in the family room. Each one has an 8x10 and 4 5x7's. I had lofty goals to swap photos out every few months, but I haven't been good about getting photos printed for it. The current ones have been there about a year, and I'll either update them all over April break or once work ends for the summer. There are a few there that won't get changed, like the one of me and DH while we were dating and the one of his parents, who have passed away. This is what the magnet boards look like, since they're probably the only one hard to picture:

(All the photos should have white borders, but I messed that up when I ordered the most recent group of 5x7's.)
I LOVE that you got a new, longer couch to go with your photos, Rachel!! That made me smile
Old 04-07-2019, 12:45 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiegirl View Post
I have 4 photo frames (5x7) up near my entry door. They are for the girls school photos. I put the most updated one in the frame each year. I take the previous year out and place it in their Creative Memories baby albums and write the year, their teacher, school etc underneath it.

I do have a wall of family and trip photos though. These are 8x10 family ones that I just leave up. If we get a new photo, I add a new frame for it. The smaller travel photos I change out every once in a while and just give to the girls. (I have the digital copies). They like to put them in frames in their rooms or place them on their walls.
That's a great idea, Dawn - changing out the school photos each year and putting them straight into an album!

Quote:
Originally Posted by britaneejean View Post
Photos are my main house decor. Easy to do! I add new photos to the frames & just put them in front of the current pics...so I'll be like your grandma when I pass away.
That's so funny, Britanee! I had never seen someone do it before, but I guess it's not so unusual

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsgirl View Post
I love your gallery walls, Tammy!

My husband hates having our pictures on the wall, so I only have a canvas wrap of our family from 2014 hanging in our kitchen and a set of four photos (5 of us, me & Joel, 2 boys, the girl) on canvas in our bedroom. So nothing in frames, actually. I should probably replace them, but it seems like a lot of trouble.
I'm so sorry your hubby doesn't like having family photos on the wall.
My mom doesn't like them either, but she does have some old framed photos of people that she got at an antique store. I told her they were her imaginary family
Old 04-07-2019, 12:49 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
I don't decorate with photos. I have three photos up - one of our family and the second just of J... both horrible from our church directory from like 4 years ago... and the third is our wedding photo... and that is like 15 years old. My son hasn't had professional photos done since he was 6 months old! I'm pretty sure the first two are covering other photos - what am I going to do with 8x10 photos when I'm a digi scrapper? hahaha
That's so funny, Reba!! We didn't do a lot of professional photos when our kids were young. Actually, I think we had them done when each was about 6 months old, and then nothing until my daughter's sweet 16. LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegCreations View Post
I want to have a gallery wall! I think that would look nice! I have some up and they're spaced out and it looks weird, I think a cluster would look better and would fit more on the wall. Need to do this so bad because I have a lot of prints (larger, like 5x7 and 8x10) that I need to put up!
I have so many more printed photos from when our kids were younger. I don't have much space to add to what is already on the walls. Maybe when we buy a house, I'll have to be sure to look at the wall space to be sure there is plenty for more photos!!
Old 04-07-2019, 12:56 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftytam View Post
That's so funny, Britanee! I had never seen someone do it before, but I guess it's not so unusual
To me, it's either that or throw them away! I can't do that so...they stay haha!
Old 04-07-2019, 08:43 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

When we own a house we will put pictures on the walls again but I don't feel like it when we are renting.

In our old house I had the stairs wall covered in photos. I just kept adding them as we got them. Only professional photos and some older family photos so that my girls know who their family is. Now we just look at albums.
Old 04-07-2019, 09:46 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftytam View Post
I LOVE that you got a new, longer couch to go with your photos, Rachel!! That made me smile
Lol-Even if I'd thought of it, that logic never would have convinced DH! We replaced our old couch with a sectional, and then the 4-frame grouping didn't work anymore. That was a point against getting the new couch! I need to move over the existing photos a few inches then add the new ones. I despise the actual hanging of photos--I'm such a perfectionist about getting them perfectly spaced that it takes forever.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 04-07-2019, 09:51 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by britaneejean View Post
To me, it's either that or throw them away! I can't do that so...they stay haha!
I have some of the old-school magnetic albums that I transfer them to. (Well, the modern non-destructive version of the old-school albums.) That won't work for the 10x14s, so I guess I'll have to stack those in the frames when I'm ready to swap some.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 04-07-2019, 04:21 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I used to hang things up on the wall, but the past few moves I haven't bothered. In the past I put photos of the kids up on the wall. I take their photos yearly and swap them out yearly. But the last few moves, I just don't feel like hanging them up or patching up holes when it's time to leave. I am however contemplating getting scrabble tiles with all of our names and adding photos in between the gaps of the letters---that's just a thought though!

She's local to where we will be moving. I just am trying to figure out how to hang all the letters with as little holes as possible. Thinking maybe attaching them to a 1x2 and hanging them that way. I figured I'd visit her when we get to KY and see if it's possible
https://www.facebook.com/sweetpeacre...c_location=ufi
Old 04-07-2019, 05:44 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverland Scraps View Post
I used to hang things up on the wall, but the past few moves I haven't bothered. In the past I put photos of the kids up on the wall. I take their photos yearly and swap them out yearly. But the last few moves, I just don't feel like hanging them up or patching up holes when it's time to leave. I am however contemplating getting scrabble tiles with all of our names and adding photos in between the gaps of the letters---that's just a thought though!

She's local to where we will be moving. I just am trying to figure out how to hang all the letters with as little holes as possible. Thinking maybe attaching them to a 1x2 and hanging them that way. I figured I'd visit her when we get to KY and see if it's possible
https://www.facebook.com/sweetpeacre...c_location=ufi
I bought some Command velcro stickies recently. I'm not using them to hang pictures but that's their purpose. You could look into that.
amazon link
Old 04-08-2019, 12:47 AM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

We rent our current home (we have been there for 4 years so far) and the owners do not allow absolutely anything on the walls, not even the command sticky hooks/Blu-tac etc. We have a few smaller frames up on our sideboard, but unfortunately that's it for the moment. Our children, however, love looking at our printed photo albums and a calendar I have on the fridge (that changes monthly).

Creative for Grace Lee & Scrapping with Liz
Guesting for LJS Designs in Nov-Dec 2020
Old 04-08-2019, 01:17 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leablahblah View Post
I bought some Command velcro stickies recently. I'm not using them to hang pictures but that's their purpose. You could look into that.
amazon link
I've tried those in the past, but with the textured walls, they've not worked very well. Either they fall right off an hour or day later, or they stick too well to the wall, I'm peeling the paint off!!

We will have to see if they have textured walls on post, or if they are normal walls!

Also for the scrabble tiles, I'm looking at 70 tiles. That's a lot of holes and lining up, which is why I was looking at somehow attaching them to a 1x2 and putting two nails in for each name, that's only 10 holes!

But for not hanging the photos when we move, I'm just too lazy. We move every 1-3 years. I'm at the stage of "why bother?" Maybe at this next place, it'll be different. But I won't know until I get there

Last edited by Neverland Scraps; 04-08-2019 at 01:19 AM.
Old 04-08-2019, 02:13 AM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

We have some photos, but not many on our little apartment walls. Our wedding photo on our bedroom wall and professional family photos in the living room and our son's room. I've been asking hubby to get new photos taken, since the ones hanging on the wall are 3+ years old!
Old 04-09-2019, 10:06 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My gallery wall in the living room is my favorite thing in my home!! When we built this house 5 years ago, it was the thing I was most excited about starting. This year, I added the last frame and am calling it done. But I will continue to swap out pics - I have pics of my kids taken every fall... sometimes just the three of them and sometimes the whole family.

There aren't many rooms in my house that don't have pics! Here's from my room

Old 04-09-2019, 11:29 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've got framed photos hanging in the hallway, dating back 25 yrs or so. Some are ones I've taken, just snapshots, some are Walmart/Sears photos that family gave us, some are large framed prints and there is a collage of snapshots hanging just across from the bathroom so I see it all the time. I love it, the quality of the pictures suck, the frame is just a plain one, but its the memories that make me smile. It's family and dogs.

I've got 3 prints framed,hanging in our foyer, macro shots of the first frost on my roses from about 15 yrs ago. One got knocked off the wall so I need to replace the glass that cracked.

I've got framed photos covering an old buffet that my hubs refinished many years ago. One cherished photo is his mom and dad on their wedding day. I've got a special photo of my mom in her wheelchair and me crouched beside her, taken just wks before her passing from yrs ago.

I've got a few frames on the fireplace hearth.

My next project is to put small frames on a high shelf in the kitchen with macro shots of food. I have a small backdrop stand for still photography and need to decide on a neutral, colored or patterned backdrop to use and which food items I'll photograph. I hope to do that over the summer.

I was a wedding/portrait photographer for 10 yrs (started taking photos to paper scrap with and loved it so much I went to school and got certified, providing me with a second income for yrs with a part time job I loved). I gave it up last yr so I can focus on photography as my own hobby, having fun for myself with it.

So, I have lots of framed photos in my home and a few canvases.
Old 04-09-2019, 11:42 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I have a gallery wall in my family room that has photos mixed with word art prints about love and family and I just love it. I don't change the photos often, just add to it, but when I do change, I take the old one out and file it. I have a filing system for all my photos, traditional and digital. I also have some photos of my son in the hallway upstairs. I don't have anything on tables or shelves because I like to keep them clear. I have a the whole bull in a china shop thing going on and knock things over a lot.
Old 04-10-2019, 07:36 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by farrijc View Post
My gallery wall in the living room is my favorite thing in my home!! When we built this house 5 years ago, it was the thing I was most excited about starting. This year, I added the last frame and am calling it done. But I will continue to swap out pics - I have pics of my kids taken every fall... sometimes just the three of them and sometimes the whole family.
What fabulous gallery walls!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgal00 View Post
I've got framed photos hanging in the hallway, dating back 25 yrs or so. Some are ones I've taken, just snapshots, some are Walmart/Sears photos that family gave us, some are large framed prints and there is a collage of snapshots hanging just across from the bathroom so I see it all the time. I love it, the quality of the pictures suck, the frame is just a plain one, but its the memories that make me smile. It's family and dogs.

I've got 3 prints framed,hanging in our foyer, macro shots of the first frost on my roses from about 15 yrs ago. One got knocked off the wall so I need to replace the glass that cracked.

I've got framed photos covering an old buffet that my hubs refinished many years ago. One cherished photo is his mom and dad on their wedding day. I've got a special photo of my mom in her wheelchair and me crouched beside her, taken just wks before her passing from yrs ago.

I've got a few frames on the fireplace hearth.

My next project is to put small frames on a high shelf in the kitchen with macro shots of food. I have a small backdrop stand for still photography and need to decide on a neutral, colored or patterned backdrop to use and which food items I'll photograph. I hope to do that over the summer.

I was a wedding/portrait photographer for 10 yrs (started taking photos to paper scrap with and loved it so much I went to school and got certified, providing me with a second income for yrs with a part time job I loved). I gave it up last yr so I can focus on photography as my own hobby, having fun for myself with it.

So, I have lots of framed photos in my home and a few canvases.
Wow, Rae!! How awesome to have all those cherished memories on the walls!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJSDesigns View Post
I have a gallery wall in my family room that has photos mixed with word art prints about love and family and I just love it. I don't change the photos often, just add to it, but when I do change, I take the old one out and file it. I have a filing system for all my photos, traditional and digital. I also have some photos of my son in the hallway upstairs. I don't have anything on tables or shelves because I like to keep them clear. I have a the whole bull in a china shop thing going on and knock things over a lot.
I'm so like this, too!! I have to be so careful because if it can be knocked down, I will be the one to do it!