Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2011, 01:15 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to LenaGardner
Default Google Chrome Questions

I'm officially in love with Google Chrome but I have some questions about it.

I played around this morning with it and added a bunch of apps and extensions, but I figured the apps etc would be on my homepage. They're not. But I can see them if I open a new blank tab. Is that the only way to get them?

I know I can do iGoogle but that's not quite the same.

What are your favorite Chrome extensions or apps?
Old 09-11-2011, 01:59 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My very favorite is Daily Links. It opens all the different sites that I go to each day with the click on ONE button. It is AWESOME! I love it. (if you used Morning Coffee on Firefox.....it is the same concept)
Old 09-11-2011, 03:13 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Victoria Feemster Send a message via Yahoo to Victoria Feemster

I'm not sure Lena but that is the only way I've seen my apps that I have installed as well.

Old 09-11-2011, 04:24 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

my favorite one is AdBlock. (: keeps the crazy pop-ups and forum ads at bay.

as for not seeing them? no clue why they're not showing up. i generally open fb as my first page anyway, and then have a bunch of other tabs open. so i never noticed that the addons weren't there.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:42 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I'm bumping this because I'd like to know what other Chrome apps are worth having. : )
Old 09-12-2011, 09:57 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

The only add-on I have is the icon bookmarks toolbar.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:44 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Does anybody use Chrome with a Mac? I use Safari mostly and Firefox on occasion, but Chrome sounds very interesting . . . just not sure how compatible it would be with my Mac. I know I could experiment, but I'd rather not spend a bunch of time setting it up if it doesn't work well, kwim?

My Blog: Quantum Leaps
Old 09-12-2011, 11:50 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to LenaGardner

I added some extensions...Last Pass (password minder), Countdown (timer which I love), AdBlock, Google Calendar (just nice to have it handy though I usually update my calendar from my iPhone) and I added some apps, Sunlikely (weather) and Scribbles: Stickies on Steroids. I have a feeling there are more great ones out there, though.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:56 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to pewtertm

Speed Dial is the one I have to have
Old 09-12-2011, 12:47 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepounds View Post
Does anybody use Chrome with a Mac? I use Safari mostly and Firefox on occasion, but Chrome sounds very interesting . . . just not sure how compatible it would be with my Mac. I know I could experiment, but I'd rather not spend a bunch of time setting it up if it doesn't work well, kwim?
I am a Mac user w/ Chrome. I don't like Safari much at all. FF is what I just changed from and I am SO glad I made the change. It is so much more user friendly and faster!
Old 09-12-2011, 02:40 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by taracotta7 View Post
I am a Mac user w/ Chrome. I don't like Safari much at all. FF is what I just changed from and I am SO glad I made the change. It is so much more user friendly and faster!
EXCELLENT! Thanks for the info, Tara!

My Blog: Quantum Leaps
Old 09-12-2011, 02:53 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm one of the early adopters of Chrome, but it seems problematic (maybe just my version) with ActiveX controls. I've never really had a completely satisfied experience with it, but it is way better than IE. My hubbie keeps trying to get me to try FireFox.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:23 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepounds View Post
i do. it's all i use on my mac. i don't love safari, and i don't like firefox at all. so chrome is my browser of choice.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:32 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Has anyone tried StayFocused? Listen to this:

You sit down at the computer, and you swear you'll be productive. Next thing you know, it's twelve hours later. You've checked your email, updated your Facebook status, browsed the trending topics on Twitter, read your RSS feeds, looked up your favorite band on Wikipedia, vanity googled yourself, cyber-stalked your ex, your ex's lover, and several high-school crushes, and lost a week's pay playing online poker.

Except for a few of the details...Hello, that's me. I am going to give it a try. I've set it for two hours of browsing a day. And yes, that's a cut back for me, people.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:34 AM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherB View Post
I'm one of the early adopters of Chrome, but it seems problematic (maybe just my version) with ActiveX controls. I've never really had a completely satisfied experience with it, but it is way better than IE. My hubbie keeps trying to get me to try FireFox.
use FF for backup for those sites that haven't updated to Chrome, fully, but FF is really almost a step backwards. But I keep it for emergency browsing and FTP access. IE is never used. ever.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:21 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsgirl View Post
You sit down at the computer, and you swear you'll be productive. Next thing you know, it's twelve hours later. You've checked your email, updated your Facebook status, browsed the trending topics on Twitter, read your RSS feeds, looked up your favorite band on Wikipedia, vanity googled yourself, cyber-stalked your ex, your ex's lover, and several high-school crushes, and lost a week's pay playing online poker.
I wish you weren't spying on me.
Old 11-10-2011, 05:13 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I just switched to Chrome yesterday and I'm already in love with it! It goes so much faster than my Firefox! And to think I refused to try it for so long...

I installed a cool extension called Shareaholic. Instead of having different buttons for Add to Pinterest, Add to Kaboodle, Add to Delicious, Share on FB,... this addon makes it possible to just right click and add to any of these sites. It even lets you attribute keyboard shortcuts! Now when I want to add something to Pinterest, I just click AltGr + P. so much faster!
Old 11-10-2011, 08:57 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Maybe they have updated it, I've looked and cannot find anything.

But the reason I don't use Google Chrome is that it isn't color managed. As a photographer and a scrapbooker, this bothers me. Basically any color data that is embedded in your file is stripped on viewing and then it makes the best guess on how to view the file.

Here's a link to what I'm talking about:
http://mansurovs.com/is-your-browser-color-managed

Again they may have updated it, but maybe not. But since I critique people's photos online I want to at least know that I'm not just seeing things. KWIM

If GC is now color managed, then I may want to take a second look at it!
Old 11-10-2011, 09:00 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I love the Pinterest app and the Amazon app. You can automatically add anything to your Amazon Wish List with one click. I may or may not have a small Amazon addiction.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:17 AM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprauncey1 View Post
Maybe they have updated it, I've looked and cannot find anything.

But the reason I don't use Google Chrome is that it isn't color managed. As a photographer and a scrapbooker, this bothers me. Basically any color data that is embedded in your file is stripped on viewing and then it makes the best guess on how to view the file.

Here's a link to what I'm talking about:
http://mansurovs.com/is-your-browser-color-managed

Again they may have updated it, but maybe not. But since I critique people's photos online I want to at least know that I'm not just seeing things. KWIM

If GC is now color managed, then I may want to take a second look at it!
that is very interesting! Chrome is not color managed on my Mac. Which is strange since in the comments they talk about Mac computers not having this issue with Chrome. Well, I see very different photos so there is not color management going on. I fired up Firefox and looked at that site, and Firefox on Mac is color managed. This is disappointing because Chrome is so wonderful and I have been a dedicated user for about 2 years. I switched to Chrome when I was on a PC that had issues with Firefox. wow, I will have to consider switching to Firefox or Safari now. This is a bummer. Thanks for linking that article, it has been very enlightening.