Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 08-03-2020, 10:42 AM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm
Default "Set aside time" to scrap or document your life?

Do you set aside time to scrap? I saw Chari post on Persnickety Prints' Instagram that she sets aside Sunday as her day to "document the week." She asked "Do you set aside a specific day to tell your story?" and at first I thought to myself "I sneak into the office whenever the kids are busy and not bugging me, does that count?" lol, but then I thought about it:

How nice would it be to have a specific day/time set aside for scrapping or editing/tagging photos, or to backup my laptop?

Do any of you set aside a day (or a time of the day etc) like that? How did you create that habit, especially if you have kids???
Old 08-03-2020, 11:00 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

when my internet is working and our power isn't being spotty, after the youngest goes to bed is "my time". I can clean, I can read, watch movies by myself or with the husband, and of course scrap. The time is mine. I love it and love that I've set that time aside many years ago, as well as that everyone respects my time.
Old 08-03-2020, 11:55 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I scrap when I have free time on a day off. I don't make myself schedule it as then it would be come more of a chore or thing I had to do. Now I just do it when I have time and I am in the mood to do it. That way I can enjoy it.
Old 08-03-2020, 12:51 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I work part time on Tuesdays & Wednesdays. So those days are out- as I'm usually exhausted after work now that we are wearing so much PPE! Weekends we are usually at the lake house or travelling for kiddos activities. I TRY to get most of my scrapping responsibilities (CT work) done on Mondays & Thursdays. If I have extra time (usually Friday after releases have hit the stores) then I can scrap 'whatever I want' or do challenges that I wasnt able to use CT layouts as entries. I'm also usually doing chores those days, so I frequently am in & out of the office!
Old 08-03-2020, 01:33 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

We're in the midst of a move, and with uncertainty around returning to school, it's hard to say what my routine will be.
I've been doing a bit of scrapping in the mornings-- I set my alarm early, do some quick morning routine chores and then I usually have an hour before my kids are up & now that I almost had an EHD emergency, I'm making Thursday my back-up day! I'd like to get another chunk of scrapping time "scheduled" as part of my daily routine too.
Old 08-03-2020, 01:44 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My husband is working from home now so he is set up in our office so my computer got bumped out. He set me up in the living room. So I am scrapping all day if I can...in between kids and laundry/dinner etc. We just bought a table like you would use for a hospital bed that goes over the couch. I have a big monitor on it as well as my keyboard and mouse. (a pretty lazy set up since I can recline and watch tv...LOL) I was remote desktoping into a chromebook but it has been acting funny this week.
Old 08-03-2020, 03:22 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I would love to do that! I usually scrap in the AM before the house wakes up but it isn't scheduled...it just happens that way.
Old 08-03-2020, 03:45 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I absolutely have to set aside time to scrap and it's Sundays for me too.
Old 08-03-2020, 03:46 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Pre-pandemic, I scrapped (or tried to scrap) most weeknights after the kids went to bed.

Since I've been working from home and my work duties & schedule have changed, Thursday & Friday nights are often when my main weekly project has to be completed or edited. Because my workload is so heavily weighted towards the end of the week now and I'm at home with nowhere to go and no extra-currics for my kids, I now have time to scrap during the day on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.

For the last few years, scrapping has been my only real hobby so whatever free time comes up, that's usually the first thing I do.
Old 08-03-2020, 04:01 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I don't have a set time. I have most nights after work free, but have found less time during the pandemic than pre-pandemic.

Old 08-03-2020, 04:36 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I used to set aside Mondays and Tuesdays during the day if there was nothing else happening. With the kids not getting up for school during the pandemic, I've been getting up later and haven't been as motivated to scrap. I'm trying to shift to night time scrapping now that I'm staying up later.
Old 08-04-2020, 12:26 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Sort of. Most days I'm done with kids/work/housework by 9 pm, so that's my scrapping time. In a perfect world I'd scrap a few hours every night, but in reality there are lots of nights when I'm mentally exhausted by then and would rather play online than scrap. On the rare occasion that I get to scrap during the day, I get so much more done than I do at night. So I guess I technically have a time set aside for scrapping, but it doesn't get at the spirit of what you're asking.
Old 08-04-2020, 12:01 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Hmmm, I wonder if this would help me. I've been in a slump for some time now, and to actually set aside time to scrap seems interesting. I think I've fallen into the I can scrap whenever, but then don't. My kids are older, and most evenings I read... maybe if I know every Monday evening is my scrap time, I'll get more into scrapping and keeping a schedule.

Old 08-04-2020, 10:51 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

I love every single one of these responses! It's interesting to hear (erm, read) how some of you worry that a set time would limit creativity while others seem to think it would be nice to look forward to that time--hence, helping creativity. I think I'm in the "it would be nice to look forward to Scrap Time" camp lol.

Unfortunately, Tropical Storm Isaias had other plans for me today, so I couldn't plan, or even "find," time to scrap. *shrug* But it did make me realize that I do need to make Scapping Time a priority in a way that works for me and my family.
Old 08-05-2020, 01:08 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I dont really have a set day to scrap...before the pandemic I would scrap pretty much daily (I miss those days) but with everything going on in the world, in my life...and my overall mental health because of this, I don't scrap as much. I think having a certain day to scrap would also put pressure on my to scrap and that would not make me productive at all
Old 08-05-2020, 01:34 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

weekends are usually a NO for scrapping time, since we're busy with errands, family time, Church etc.

During the school year, while the girls are at school, I scrap during the day. Once they get home I am usually off to spend time with them, listen about their day etc. Since we aren't sure what our schools are doing this year, I don't know how this will work. If all 4 need to be online for school at one time, it will be hard! We just got ATT to take our internet issues seriously (it goes out 3+ times a day). Hopefully the new modem they are sending will help us be able to navigate being online at the same times.

It's all up in the air for this school year, so I don't know what my scrapping time will look like.
Old 08-06-2020, 08:49 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I usually scrap at naptime and sometimes in the evenings....
This summer has been odd..... no real schedule with my littles and we have been doing some home projects.

Guest CT for Kristin Cronin-Barrow