Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 05-14-2020, 04:50 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm
Default Anyone here do K-12?

My boys and I make our big move in THREE days y'all! 3 days!

I'm currently looking into the K12 program for the next school year, and I'm curious if anyone else has kids in it. Pros...cons.

Proudly creating for Traci Reed Happy Creator for Studio Basic Designs
Creative Guest for Kristin Cronin-Barrow Feb-Mar

GALLERY | FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
Old 05-14-2020, 04:54 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I have some friends who use K12. They LOVE it. They get everything they need from the school, including computers, and they love the academic rigor and support. They do spend quite a bit of time with their children for school, though, so there's that. It has some of the perks of homeschool and some of the perks of public school. I've heard great things about it, and if it's your style and the way you want to do things, it might be a good fit. (We homeschool in the more traditional sense, where I determine the course of study, the curriculum, and the materials. Also the schedule. But you should check out K12--might be the answer for you!)

Old 05-14-2020, 08:17 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

We did K12 for a year & a half. I liked it at first, but they changed some of the way the courses worked, and it didn't work for us after that.
We ended up doing more "traditional" homeschooling after that.
Old 05-15-2020, 12:12 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

Interesting, thank you! I don't think that I am structured enough to actually homeschool - so I think we will try it out.

Old 05-15-2020, 04:14 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've been homeschooling for several years now, but our first year, we did K12 with my son who was then in first grade. We didn't stick with it, but I don't regret it -- I had a lot of other things going on and needed that outside accountability and handholding. Ultimately, I decided I could homeschool him more efficiently without K12.

Each school might handle things differently, but ours was pretty strict on some things. They expected my 1st grader to spend at least 6 hours a day on schoolwork, for example. That might be what a first grader in a bricks-and-mortar school spends, but when it's 1-on-1, it takes WAY less time. So I was coming up with things for him to do because he'd finished the first grade curriculum and they wouldn't send more. Homeschooling is much easier and has much greater flexibility, but K12 is a great place to start to see what is best for you and your family.
Old 05-15-2020, 06:14 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by amy_hart View Post
Interesting, thank you! I don't think that I am structured enough to actually homeschool - so I think we will try it out.
haha - I'm the most unstructured, un-organized mess of a person... we just finished 7th grade, homeschooling from the beginning.... don't let that scare you.
Old 05-15-2020, 07:41 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

We looked in to doing it back in our homeschool days. The only issue that we found an ultimately decided k12 wasn't for us, was that we had mandatory face to face meetings with each of the kids teachers weekly. Where we lived, the meeting was over an hour away and it just wasn't possible for me to do two mandatory meetings weekly with the kids teachers.

My niece did k12 and while she loved homeschooling, working at her own pace, k12 had her work at their own pace and was a little more accelerated than the local public school and the homeschool curriculum that she had been going through. She tried it for a semester and was met with a lot of struggles that my sister pulled her out and went back to traditional homeschooling to keep her daughter's love of learning a positive experience.

On a plus, they ship you EVERYTHING that you need to do their schooling. If your computer breaks, they send you a new one with no questions asked. They send you a printer, paper, etc.

Good luck with your move---three days!! It'll be here before you know and you'll be on your next chapter of life!! Good luck with your move to the mountains! I can't wait to hear all about it and see your pages when you get connected online!
Old 05-15-2020, 08:00 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm going to follow along with this post. My youngest has been struggling in school and this may be an option for him.

Good luck on your move! Sounds exciting!!
Old 05-16-2020, 12:23 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

Thank you so much for your advice everyone!!!!!!!!

It's super helpful!

We move TOMORROW! I can't wait to get to scrapbooking instead of packing and having panic attacks