Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 04-27-2012, 04:42 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default more on font organization

I'm still playing with my new font organizer, lol, and I'm trying to organize my fonts into categories. I find it very difficult. So far I have categories for script, titles, typewriter, dingbats and thin fonts. I'm not trying to put all my fonts in categories, but I'd like to have my most favorite fonts categorized so I can easily find them. Normally I pick my fonts intuitively, so I'm having a hard time coming up with categories. What categories do you have?
Old 04-27-2012, 04:46 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freckles View Post
I'm still playing with my new font organizer, lol, and I'm trying to organize my fonts into categories. I find it very difficult. So far I have categories for script, titles, typewriter, dingbats and thin fonts. I'm not trying to put all my fonts in categories, but I'd like to have my most favorite fonts categorized so I can easily find them. Normally I pick my fonts intuitively, so I'm having a hard time coming up with categories. What categories do you have?
Basically I'm interested in the same thing as you - just organising my fave types of fonts. So far I have:

- Urban Grunge
- Script
- Historical
- Art Nouveau
- Typewriter
- Trendy
- Clean
- Rounded
- Outlined
- Handwritten
- Fun
- Wonky
- Pop Culture (lookalikes to fonts used in movies, CDs etc.)

+

- Dingbats
- Deco Borders

..aaaaaaaaaaaand - DJB! (this way I can see all Darcy's fonts, even those that aren't named DJB Something)

I'm just creating them on the go and based on what type of thing I tend to be looking for.

Old 04-27-2012, 05:27 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I absolutely do not organize my fonts, and I keep telling myself to! So far I only have them categorized in my commercial use fonts (I have several) and personal use fonts, and that's about it, lol. I do have three designers' fonts (including Darcy) tagged in my LR catalog, but that's also because there are JPG previews of their fonts for my reference. Otherwise my fonts are in a jumble in a folder :/
Old 04-27-2012, 09:15 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianka View Post
Basically I'm interested in the same thing as you - just organising my fave types of fonts. So far I have:

- Urban Grunge
- Script
- Historical
- Art Nouveau
- Typewriter
- Trendy
- Clean
- Rounded
- Outlined
- Handwritten
- Fun
- Wonky
- Pop Culture (lookalikes to fonts used in movies, CDs etc.)

+

- Dingbats
- Deco Borders

..aaaaaaaaaaaand - DJB! (this way I can see all Darcy's fonts, even those that aren't named DJB Something)

I'm just creating them on the go and based on what type of thing I tend to be looking for.
Fantastic! That makes sense, I'm going to borrow some of your categories!
Old 04-28-2012, 04:25 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freckles View Post
Fantastic! That makes sense, I'm going to borrow some of your categories!
Cool. :-)

I forgot several:

- Painted
- Retro (the type of font that looks like from 50s/60s/70s movie posters etc.)
- Halloween (I downloaded lots of Halloweenish fonts last autumn, so I thought I'd set up a group for them too).
- Typeface (for fonts that look like they might be used for printing novels)
- Vintage (for fonts that look like this - dunno what the official name is, I call them vintage, also for alphas organisation in ACDSee)
- Asian Lookalikes
- Army

I might add Commercial Use, as I have some, and add the most pretty sans serif / serif ones to Sans Serif / Serif groups, but so for I haven't done that.

Am totally smitten by the software, thanks for the tip. :-)

Old 04-28-2012, 08:35 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I downloaded that program, now I need to actually open it and see what I can figure out. I was in a hurry the other day and didn't have time to play with it.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:06 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I am declaring myself to be Font Stupid... LOL!!

I am always organizing my stash of scrap supplies... but the idea of having to organize my fonts makes me wanna scream... especially when I can't really figure out HOW to organize them in this software. Maybe I'm better off with the hunt method, lol
Old 04-29-2012, 05:11 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

@Laura: I agree, organizing fonts is not as much fun as organizing scrapbook supplies! I'm not going to do it thoroughly though. For me it's just important that it saves time when I'm scrapping. if I want to find a good font for my titles, that I can click the group 'titles' and see a selection of fonts that would work. Same for journaling, sometimes my page just screams for a handwritten font, sometimes it needs a typewriter font, and so on. You can make groups of your own in this program, on the bottom left side you see 'group' and when you click it, you can choose: new group. You give it a name (for example: handwritten fonts) and then you can drag all suitable fonts to that group. Also, I really love the 'similar' button in this program!! When you select a font you love and click similar, it searches for all similar fonts in your entire collection. Some of the results don't seem similar to me at all, but I have still found some great forgotten fonts this way!
Old 04-29-2012, 08:02 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Thanks Kim, I'm going to attempt to do this tonight. Like you, I only want to do a little organizing.. nothing too drastic. I'd love to especially organize the ones I have purchased or my favorite freebie ones.

I'll give this a go!