Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2009, 07:17 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to AmyM
Default Possibly Hacked

Hey guys. 10 mins ago I got up, turned the computer on. Went to play facebook's farmtown while Im drinking my coffee. All of a sudden I lose farmtown and a blank screen is there, I don't remember the URL.....and something says warning your computer has possible virus- scanning it now. I hit cancel but I see something on the sidebar to the left. It says "lillington, nc" which is a little town a few hours from me....and it has a bar under that with a red line going across. I didn't take the time to look at it any further- Didn't last more than 15 seconds because I freaked and cut the computer off. I have no idea WTH that was. Never happened before in 6 years of using this computer.

So I'm running a virus scan right now and hoping nothing crazy happened.

What the heck was that? What do I do?

facebook
Old 05-13-2009, 07:23 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

maybe someone was able to get into the computer and was scanning for something? Do you use a firewall?

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 05-13-2009, 07:34 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I run AVG free. I have no idea if that's got a firewall or what. I'm clueless with all the techie stuff.

If I was hacked, can they get back into my computer at any time? I mean this is scary. I do online bill pays, paypal of course, etc...

I googled and have no idea what they're talking about with run this program, look for this suspicious file, etc... any help y'all could give me would be greatly appreciated. I am majorly freaked out. Let me go make sure somebody here has my phone number in case I disappear. Geesh. Just my luck WTH? In 6 years, why now?

facebook
Old 05-13-2009, 08:40 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I wouldn't ever use a free virus program to begin with- maybe a free trial for Norton or Macafee that comes with a new computer, but I've always purchased the full virus program and have never had any viruses hit any of my computers.... If I were you I'd go out and buy Norton (it's like $30 for the cheapest one) and install it and run that scan. You get what you pay for, kwim? (Staples has the Norton 360 for like $70 this week, it's a good deal!)

I'd also unplug the computer and the internet connection and then replug them all back in in case... I'd also worry about someone getting back into it, I'm not sure if they could or not but I bet they could. This day in age hackers can pretty much do whatever they want...

Good luck though! I hope you can get it all fixed!

Creating for Melissa Bennett & Lliella Designs!!

Old 05-13-2009, 08:42 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

As for firewall, go into your control panel and you'll see a firewall icon. It'll probably say "windows firewall" if you click on it it'll tell you if it's on and needs updates, etc...

Old 05-13-2009, 08:52 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

well see I had the paid version of Norton 360 that let in a nasty virus that I had to reformat my computer. Since then I had numerous puter gurus recommend AVG free and it blocked that SAME virus that Norton let through....so I don't necessarily think in this case you get what you pay for.

kit used for siggie "Kona Coast" by Julie Billingsley
Old 05-13-2009, 08:56 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to AnnieBananie

Just a note on the AV program... I've used AVG Free for years without any issues. I love it and I find it's better than the "fancy" programs that cost an arm and a leg.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:57 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh great, now I'm worried! Thanks ladies

Old 05-13-2009, 09:00 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizAmyLou View Post
well see I had the paid version of Norton 360 that let in a nasty virus that I had to reformat my computer. Since then I had numerous puter gurus recommend AVG free and it blocked that SAME virus that Norton let through....so I don't necessarily think in this case you get what you pay for.
Yep! Exactly. Another one who is very happy with AVG - same for me, lots of professional recommendations for it and big "stay away from Norton no matter what" warnings.

Glitter Adventure - My Blog

Old 05-13-2009, 09:05 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to AnnieBananie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anso View Post
and big "stay away from Norton no matter what" warnings.
Heh yeah, Norton is like a "legal" virus. I loathe Norton.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:13 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Probably some pre-teen playing farmtown before school and trying to steal my coins or the animals off my farm. I hope that's all it was. Spybot just finished and found nothing. Thanks girls!

facebook
Old 05-13-2009, 09:33 AM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

I agree don't use free virus software! I didn't like Norton either. I use MS OneCare and it always catches the website viruses and cleans them up before they do stuff to my computer. It does other stuff too like tune-ups. And it can be installed on 3 Computers. So I monitor the kid's computer for needed updates from my PC.

It may have come from an ad running in facebook but they do ok keeping that stuff from happing. So I'm not sure.

I'm glad it seems like everything is ok!
Old 05-13-2009, 09:43 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thanks Jannylynn! I hope that's all it was. I keep getting an error message about firefox is already running please restart your system. Crazy.

facebook
Old 05-13-2009, 10:25 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Mandy

I used to run AVG (and still might go ahead and install it on this computer) and had no problems.
We bought a computer on Friday and I told the guy at Best Buy I wanted the VERY best anti-virus software and he handed me Kaspersky. Seems to be working ok so far.
Norton is a big joke.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:37 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

We use the free AVG and do so on the recommendation of several computer techs, whom I trust completely!
Our Co-Op program has switched to eset Nod32 and it seems to be doing a find job here at work!
Old 05-13-2009, 11:34 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

All the computer guys at Michael's job recommend AVG. We absolutely love it. It hope it was nothing major!

Old 05-13-2009, 12:19 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Kat Stokes Send a message via Yahoo to Kat Stokes

We use Trend because it doesn't embed itself onto your hard drive like Norton and McAfee do. We love it!

Proudly creating for:
Libby Pritchett

Old 05-13-2009, 12:21 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

My computer guy swears by AVG as well. I have never had a problem with it in years of using it. *knocks wood*
Old 05-13-2009, 02:16 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to MelissaL88

Amy,
The same thing happened to me about 3 weeks ago. Make sure you change your facebook password, just in case. I ended up using about three different anti-Spyware programs to get rid of the junk that infected my computer. We settled on Spyware Doctor by PCTools. It's worked like a champ and kept out a couple other trojans that tried to infect my laptop.

Find something and scan your computer daily for the next few weeks to make sure you get rid of all that crap!
Old 05-13-2009, 07:42 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I also love AVG Free. Webroot Spy Sweeper has been great, too. I have never had any issues on my puter.

That being said, I have heard of a LOT of people getting viruses on the computers lately from playing games on Facebook. The other day I was just searching flair on there and got something from my virus software saying it was trying to install a virus on my puter.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:47 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've been using AVG Free for years now and have never had a problem with it.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:19 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We use AVG as well, and DH (who is a techie nerd computer geek) LOVES it. We have had nothing but problems with Norton. He says it the devil of all firewalls.

We installed it at work because my boss heard it was the best. My computer crashed EVERY 15-20 for 3 months until my DH could get it all out. Its like a worm that gets in every nook and cranny of the computer.

I have to agree with Annie. Norton is just a paid for "legal" virus. If you can help it - DON'T BUY IT!

Huge fan of:

Old 05-14-2009, 09:50 AM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieBananie View Post
Heh yeah, Norton is like a "legal" virus. I loathe Norton.
I refuse to use Norton anymore either. I had it on my last computer (came with it) and it got all screwed up and locked me out of admin mode and I couldn't do anything about it. I had to manually edit the computer registry to get rid of it.

I have Comcast and I get mcafee free (the full version) and haven't had any problems with it yet. I had a ton more issues with Norton.
my blog ~ my Flickr
Old 05-14-2009, 10:04 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I use ZoneAlarm as my firewall, and avast! for virus protection and haven't had any problems so far Hope you can clean out whatever it was Amy!
Old 05-14-2009, 10:16 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

That is so weird what everyone is saying about Norton. My two sons and my dh all have it on theirs. I think they got a two year one with their computers from Best Buy. They've only had them since last September, but so far no problems. My boys are on every day, games, facebook, music, you name it...and no problems. I run malwarebytes every now and again on theirs too, and have caught a few little problems. I just wonder if they've upgraded their program and it's working better now?

If so many of you think it's that awful, do you think I should get rid of it on their computers? What is the best way to do a complete uninstall then and what do you suggest I get? I had trend micro for years and years, but I did end up having a computer get eaten up by malware/spyware type of thing while I was running it. I have McAfee on mine.

Last edited by 4noisyboys; 05-14-2009 at 10:19 AM.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:41 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Norton messed with my old desktop so much that I thought I'd need to replace the computer. Fortunately, I was able to salvage what was on the hard drive and reinstall the operating system. I switched over to AVG free then. These days I'm using AVG 8.5 (paid version) since it was gifted to me.

The only other anti-virus I'd use is Trend Micro. I ♥ that program, if I had the money, I'd buy it.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:58 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I used McAfee and Norton many years ago and then always ended up downloading something like spybot to pick up what those two missed. So for me they were a waste of money. Then I had Eset nod32 and that was awesome- but way too techie for me to use like I should have so when that expired I went to AVG free. And so far so good. I'm gonna run all the scans again in a few mins just in case.

facebook
Old 05-15-2009, 08:22 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Amy, I got this same virus alert yesterday when I clicked on Nathy (Cinnamon Designs) Blog and tried to click on her new kit at A5D. It popped up as soon as I clicked on that. So now I'm freaking out. I ran a scan with Spybot Search & Destroy (is this still good BTW?, a lot of digi girls recommended it several years ago) and am running a scan with AVG Free (which is what I use) right now. It is bringing up under Result/Infection a lot of Tracking Cookies...are these viruses??
Old 05-15-2009, 08:44 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to MelissaL88

Tracking Cookies are just low-level annoyances. Most all websites use them as a way to "track" whose been at their site.

Spybot is a good first line of defense. It should not be your only Anit-malware tool. In fact, there is no one tool that will find/erradicate every bit of spyware/malware out there. It really sucks (unless you develop that kind of software).
Old 05-15-2009, 09:39 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

FYI, you shouldn't download a boatload of virus scanners, etc, as they can interfere with each other and make it so none of them works properly or to their full potential. My computer guy told me this, so I use AVG free on my PC with Microsoft Anti-Spyware, and AVG paid with Microsoft Anti-spyware on my laptop at his recommendation.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:21 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thanks for the tip Jamie! I've got AVG, spybot, and malware bytes. I hope that's not over doing it. LOL

And Megan...I would try to email Nathy and let her know. Probably had nothing to do with her website (listen to me, like I know anything about this stuff) but just in case. If it were me I would really appreciate that.

facebook