Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2010, 07:04 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to AmyM
Default Diabetics, come on in.

Got any suggestions for good online communities? thanks

facebook
Old 12-27-2010, 07:02 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I've hung out at TuDiabetes.com and Diabetes Daily.com. The people at TuDiabetes seemed a little friendlier but I don't care for the setup they had (ning). I don't hang out at either anymore though.

I guess I'm not much help.
Old 12-28-2010, 01:45 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Are you looking for type 1 support or type 2? I think there might be a difference...both my parents are type 2. But my DH is Type 1 (juvenile) diabetes and uses an insulin pump. I've had to call an ambulance on him about 12 times in 11 years of marriage .

He is not active in any online forums, and in fact, really doesn't even know anyone else who is diabetic. His insulin pump makes all the difference though, and he's very good about going to the doctor (his endocrinologist) several times a year for bloodwork and checkups.

As the spouse though - it really affect me, too. I rarely drink - because I always have to be "on duty" to make sure he's ok. And there are times when he's had low blood sugar and been completely out of it (not making sense) at really bad times, like when I need help with the kids and things like that. It's not all bad though - even though he (we?) have low blood sugar incidents, his bloodwork is very good and his diabetes is really well in control.

beckie_scraps on IG!
Old 12-28-2010, 12:07 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

T2, just diet and exercise- but it's not bad really. My first 3 month a1c after diagnosis was 6.2. When they diagnosed me it was high but now it's doing the opposite. The problem here lately is me not eating enough every 3 hrs and dropping. Not severe lows but bad enough to mess me up for the rest of the day. I gained back 5 pounds the last 3 weeks due to having to eat like crazy every day between 3-7pm to avoid dropping. Hard to eat enough and lose weight. Just a little frustrating
It's nice to hear the spouse's side of the story. I feel guilty sometimes because I know it's not easy on him either. BTW, we've only had one ambulance incident -Got ahold of a bad batch of test strips and walked around low for a week (didn't know it) then went to a walk-a-thon. That sent me into the 40's and is really what started the last few weeks of craziness.

Thanks for the suggestions!

facebook

Last edited by AmyM; 12-28-2010 at 12:14 PM.
Old 12-28-2010, 12:20 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My hubby was diagnosed with Type 2 in January - it's been a year of changes for both of us! He did really good until about August, and then fell off the bandwagon - his blood sugars have been ok, but he stopped caring if he was eating well and how much he was eating (and gained back 30 of the 40 lbs he lost). He thinks I'm 'nagging' him constantly if I ask something as simple as did he take his pills today. I don't think tha'ts nagging, I think that's just I care and don't want to end up taking him to the hospital. He had a hard time this Christmas with all the goodies, and didn't have ANY willpower whatsoever, so I feel like I have to be 'extra' good to show him it's possible to not over-indulge. He wants to get back on track this week though, so here's hoping he's committed to being healthy again!

ETA - didn't realize I forgot to answer the question lol I don't know of any, but if you find one, I'd like to know what it is - dh may not join, but I might!

Old 12-28-2010, 12:24 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Very helpful meems, you gave me somewhere to start

facebook
Old 12-28-2010, 01:12 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjscraps View Post
My hubby was diagnosed with Type 2 in January - it's been a year of changes for both of us! He did really good until about August, and then fell off the bandwagon - his blood sugars have been ok, but he stopped caring if he was eating well and how much he was eating (and gained back 30 of the 40 lbs he lost). He thinks I'm 'nagging' him constantly if I ask something as simple as did he take his pills today. I don't think tha'ts nagging, I think that's just I care and don't want to end up taking him to the hospital. He had a hard time this Christmas with all the goodies, and didn't have ANY willpower whatsoever, so I feel like I have to be 'extra' good to show him it's possible to not over-indulge. He wants to get back on track this week though, so here's hoping he's committed to being healthy again!

ETA - didn't realize I forgot to answer the question lol I don't know of any, but if you find one, I'd like to know what it is - dh may not join, but I might!
Trina ... I think we need to talk ... my dh just got diagnosed as high risk for diabetes ... and he is losing weight ... but around his family he seems to have to an effect on him where he thinks he has to prove he hasn't changed and he can still stuff himself. If you find a good support community ... please keep me in mind.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:46 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Good luck Amy! I hope you find someplace. I'm sorry I don't have any sites to suggest.

It is very tough as the spouse...I'm not comparing it to being the diabetic in ANY way, but it is a challenge of a different type. Mainly what Trina said - trying to make sure your diabetic loved one is taking care of him/herself without coming across as nagging.

What's particularly tough is that when my hubby's blood sugar starts to drop he never "feels it" or notices; he thinks he's just fine. So it is a constant responsibility of mine to make sure he is OK. And sometimes I mistake a bad mood or something for low blood sugar - and he gets kind of ticked.

but all in all, we've worked it out. I told him that until he's ever had to call an ambulance and wait, not knowing if I was going to live or die, that he has to put up with every ounce of nagging I want to dish out.

beckie_scraps on IG!
Old 12-28-2010, 11:57 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

My DD has type 1 and has an insulin pump. But it isn't the same as type 2. I lurk on ChildrenWithDiabetes but I'm not really active there. They have a section for Adults with Type 1 and Type 2.
Old 12-29-2010, 01:16 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheana View Post
My DD has type 1 and has an insulin pump. But it isn't the same as type 2. I lurk on ChildrenWithDiabetes but I'm not really active there. They have a section for Adults with Type 1 and Type 2.
They have a section at childrenwithdiabetes site for adults?
Old 12-29-2010, 11:06 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon Kay View Post
They have a section at childrenwithdiabetes site for adults?
Yes they do. It isn't a site aimed at kids as much as adults with children with diabetes.