Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community

View Poll Results: Do you always use your manners?
YES! 49 62.03%
Not all the time, but most of the time. 30 37.97%
What are manners and how do I get them? 0 0%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-27-2011, 06:41 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Manners.Manners.Manners.

poll coming. feel free to discuss.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:46 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

maybe it is the mood that i am in or something, but i held the door open for a woman when i was walking into the bank this afternoon. she breezed right by me and of course, i open my pie hole and say "you're welcome." she shot me a nasty glare.

manners are very important to me. somuchso that i'll make snide little comments about someone's manners.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:53 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sczos911 View Post
manners are very important to me. somuchso that i'll make snide little comments about someone's manners.
this is me too
Old 01-27-2011, 06:59 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

Quote:
this is me also.
you never know who you could piss off if you don't say 'thank you.' lol

Old 01-27-2011, 07:00 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
maybe it is the mood that i am in or something, but i held the door open for a woman when i was walking into the bank this afternoon. she breezed right by me and of course, i open my pie hole and say "you're welcome." she shot me a nasty glare.

this is definitely something I would do. manners are super important to me, something my dd learned at a very young age when I wouldn't let her have a sucker from the bank because she wouldn't say thank you, lol. she learned though, the next time she told the teller thank you before the gal had even sent the sucker out the window, lolol

Old 01-27-2011, 07:02 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

ditto to ev1 so far....except usually my comments are pretty much to myself

How about a topic on road rage Lord knows I have enough for ev1 here probably haha

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 01-27-2011, 07:27 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yes! Always.

We are struggling with my youngest (5) but I know he will eventually get it.

I was surprised when we were at Disney how many people did not have manners. We were on a crowded bus and not one person offered to help a single mom with two kids (one was a baby) get her stroller on the bus. My husband walked from the back of the bus to help her and then gave her his seat.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:27 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Another ditto.

What gets me is that people often seem offended when I'm polite. I use the motorized carts at the grocery store, so I often say "excuse me", just so that they know I'm there--not to make them move, etc. I get so many nasty looks and snide "oh, excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me"s from people. I mean really, would you rather I just run you down? I'd be happy to do that too.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:35 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

ITA with everyone.

When I see older women having to stand on the bus when a twenty-something jackass (I'm sorry...that should probably read college student) is sitting down right. in. front. of her....I get livid. One of the things that impressed me about my hubby when we were dating is that he ALWAYS opened the door for me. ALWAYS. We've been married 5 years and he still gets mad at me if I open it myself in a hurry.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:39 PM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

Quote:

Ugh this happened to me 2 days ago, and I was mad!!! Id always keep it to myself tho...
Old 01-27-2011, 07:47 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlirtatiousBrat View Post

How about a topic on road rage Lord knows I have enough for ev1 here probably haha
Haha, I'll have to join you in that one. I hate ALL drivers, except for me

And I am big on manners. I do not like rude people, and rude kids!
Old 01-27-2011, 07:53 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have even gone so far as to show my girls what a gentleman is when he holds the door open for us. It shows respect. Women "love", men "respect". So I want my girls to see what other gentlemen look like besides their father so that when they get a boyfriend, they won't settle for less. Manners are huge ... common courtesy for the other human being.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I do...but everybody is different. Different cultures and even different parts of the US have different customs. So I do what I'm comfortable with, but don't get picky when someone else is different. No point getting my emotions all bent out of shape because of someone else.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:22 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

yes to all... it's just common decency. I'm very verbal about rude people... but in one ear and since there isn't a brain to stop it, out it goes out the other ear. I just went through a 3 day showdown with kiddo because he wouldn't say please... it just drives me insane, my hubby's family has no manners what so ever... I've had to do a lot of training of my hubby to get him to be polite.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:48 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

speaking of regional habits....

I've learned to live with it after 15 years but locally it is apparently common to say "Excuse you" when trying to get past someone. This is really rude where I grew up. "Excuse me" is the polite form & I've told the boys in no uncertain terms "excuse you' will get you into trouble in this house.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:01 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Manners, IMAO, equal basic respect. Which is apparently greatly lacking everywhere.

We are trying to teach DS manners I was raised on: "yes, ma'am", "no, sir", "please", "thank you", and now that he is big enough, I cheerlead overly enthusiastically when he opens doors for me. We have a little song we sing back and forth to help him with the "ma'am" and "sir" part.

I was pulled aside and informed that I was repressing my son by forcing antiquated methods of behavior on him and being far too strict for his age. He "should feel free to express himself however he sees fit".

Umm. Please and thank you are too strict, yet it's okay for a total stranger on the playground to tell me how to raise my kid? Have a nice day, ma'am. I'll hold this door for you, as you're going through it now, with your kids.

Last edited by NettieB; 01-27-2011 at 09:12 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:11 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristijoy View Post
I do...but everybody is different. Different cultures and even different parts of the US have different customs. So I do what I'm comfortable with, but don't get picky when someone else is different. No point getting my emotions all bent out of shape because of someone else.
Yes to this. And everyone's idea of what constitutes manners is different. I think of it more as being considerate and treating people as you'd want to be treated than as a set of rules you must follow without fail. For example, I don't teach my sons to hold doors for women, but I'll teach all 3 kids to hold a door for someone whose hands are full and to give up their seat for anyone who needs it more. I'd never consider making a rude comment to a stranger because I wouldn't want to be treated that way.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:47 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I insist on manners ALWAYS with my kids. Other people - drive me crazy. I can't believe the number of people, especially where we live that are SO rude.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:53 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Over here the ones with the worse manners (esp when using public transporation) are old women! They cut in line, give me nasty looks when I excuse myself to pass in front of them in the supermarket, etc. Ugh.

I choose the second option. I remember my manners--except, of course, if someone is rude to me. Then all bets are off.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:54 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I feel like my manners can't keep up with pregnancy. I always think of how I could have been more polite in retrospect, but I'm such a spacehead that there's not much chance of me doing it in that situation. It's horrible.

Luckily people in New England (yes, even Boston) have more manners than people in Arizona. Especially on the roads! I feel like all interaction with strangers was a scary stare-down in AZ, but here people are friendly and seem to just assume that everyone else is. I love it!
Old 01-28-2011, 10:08 AM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

I do get annoyed when I do something courteous for a stranger and don't get a "thank you" back from them, but I don't voice that opinion outloud (unless I'm driving in the car and they can't hear me, LOL!).
I hold/open doors for people, I say please and thank you, etc etc. It's how I was raised, and it's how my kids will be raised as well.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:12 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I was not raised saying "ma'am" and "sir", although that it extremely common here. But my children are being raised saying it. I also find myself saying "ma'am" and "sir" a whole lot more now than I ever did growing up.

Manners are a huge deal in our family. Even our just-turned-2-year-old, Sadie, says "excuse me", "please", "thank you", "ma'am" and "sir" on her own!

You just teach them early that that's what's expected and it becomes habit.

My Blog -- Three 4 Me

Proudly creating for Zoe Pearn
Old 01-28-2011, 11:10 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshobbes View Post
Over here the ones with the worse manners (esp when using public transporation) are old women! They cut in line, give me nasty looks when I excuse myself to pass in front of them in the supermarket, etc. Ugh.

I choose the second option. I remember my manners--except, of course, if someone is rude to me. Then all bets are off.
my theory is when you get to a certain age, you think the world owes you because you are old. old people are always crabby.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:11 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

i have serious road rage issues. especially in snow. it's snowing, the roads are slippery. if you are too dang SCARED to drive, stay home. DO NOT go 15 on the freeway. in the left lane. YOU, yes you there buddy, are a hazaard.

idiots.

i wish i had rocket launchers on my mini van at times like these.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:13 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NettieB View Post
I was pulled aside and informed that I was repressing my son by forcing antiquated methods of behavior on him and being far too strict for his age. He "should feel free to express himself however he sees fit".

Umm. Please and thank you are too strict, yet it's okay for a total stranger on the playground to tell me how to raise my kid? Have a nice day, ma'am. I'll hold this door for you, as you're going through it now, with your kids.
bwahaha. that is funny. that's pretty bold and rude. i can only imagine how that household is run.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:19 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

We are big on manners around here as well.

My pet peeve is when we are waiting for a table at a restaurant and elderly people come in and NO ONE stands up to let them sit down!!!

Penny
Old 01-28-2011, 11:22 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

lol I try to always use my manners, and I do 90% of the time. I live in fear of the slap upside the back of my head my momma used to give me for being rude if she caught me. lol Though I think the funniest story on manners I have is I was waiting outside a building in college for one of my guy friends after class, and as he's walking out he stops and holds a door open for this girl, and when she keeps walking he yells "Yeah you're welcome you (rhymes with boar) bag!" And she turns around and tells him it's not like she couldn't do it herself and she doesn't need guys treating her like an ivalid just so she'll talk to them. (rofl) he responded with "Oh hunny, I'm gay, and you aren't that hot. (he really is btw...) It's called manners and obviously your momma never taught you any."
I about died laughing.

Oh I should add, he would hold the door open for this girl every single time he was leaving that building because she always had her phone, a drink, and food in her hands, never once did she say thank you or anything, so it's not like he was just insulting some random person.

march challenge tracker | find me on instagram and pinterest | she/her

Last edited by MommaTrish; 01-28-2011 at 11:25 AM.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:23 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshobbes View Post

See..I was taught that it's rude to pass people because YOU are in a hurry. Can't say I always follow that one though.

Penny
Old 01-28-2011, 10:37 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny Springmann View Post
See..I was taught that it's rude to pass people because YOU are in a hurry. Can't say I always follow that one though.
LOL yeah, I knew it was rude, hence the "excuse me" matched with an apologetic look. Because I don't like it when people do it to me, but if they excuse themselves I'm fine with it
Old 01-28-2011, 10:55 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I remember one time I got really annoyed. I had taken my daughter to get new glasses...actually her first pair. The dr's office only had like four or five seats. Well there was a woman there with oh I dont know what seemed like 10 kids. They were not little kids but they werent as old as my daughter either (she was like 16 or 17). The office was in a mall so my daughter and husband waited outside the office in the walkway of the mall. There was one bench out there. I had to fill out paperwork though so I figured the woman seeing me needing to fill out paperwork would tell one of her kids to let me sit down (I was always taught anytime an adult needed a seat I should give up MINE). Well she didn't so my daughter gave up hers so I could sit outside the office to do the paperwork. (my husband asked but he has a bad back and that causes alot of pain when he stands so I told him no which is when my daughter told me to take hers). Now of course her having so many kids there if they werent all getting an eye exam was a little much because the office was really small but I know that some people cant/dont use babysitters but at the very least you would think the lady would have said to one of the kids to let me sit down.

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 01-28-2011, 11:29 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yes, we're into manners here, my kids know it & they know they are expected to act a certain way.

My most favorite, as I'm walking into a store or a restroom or....somewhere with a door with all 3 kids in tow, by myself, usually packing 1 possibly 2.
Stranger: "Boy you've got your hands full"
Me: "Yes, most of the time"
Stranger: continues to walk through the door, proceeding to let it shut in my/my childrens face
Me: thinking to myself, "You just stated the obvious, jack@s$, thanks for holding that door"
Old 01-28-2011, 11:33 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to g6scrapped

Manners are very important here. It's something I grew up with and passed it on without even really realizing. I have even caught Tylee saying stuff like "umm.. mom why didn't that lady say thank you" or "Jaxon you need to say your welcome" haha

Old 01-28-2011, 11:41 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Umm, is doing that good manners?
Old 01-28-2011, 11:56 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to AmyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NettieB View Post
Manners, IMAO, equal basic respect. Which is apparently greatly lacking everywhere.
What she said. And don't worry about the snarky folks who don't get it or don't use them or get offended, whatever...you're just being nice and trying to do the right thing. Their attitude is their problem, not yours.

facebook