Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 02-12-2011, 04:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Lightroom

I need some help. I just reinstalled LR 2.7 on my PC and since I know some of you use it primarily for photo-editing (as opposed to PS), where did you learn the basics? What about any little tricks/hints??

I changed the settings on my camera to shoot in RAW + JPG...so now I need to know how to use it (properly).
Old 02-12-2011, 04:54 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I just googled Lightroom tutorials.

march challenge tracker | find me on instagram and pinterest | she/her
Old 02-12-2011, 05:04 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Adobe TV has GREAT video tutorials! But I also learned a lot by simply dragging each ruler to the maximum left, then maximum right and observed what this does to my photo.

There are also lots of nice presets out there, so sometimes I use them as a starting point and then do the fine tuning from there.
Old 02-12-2011, 05:07 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I need to know what do I start with? What settings should I use for importing, file preferences, etc. I've played around with it before, but I've never actually gotten serious about it, so my knowledge is a total mish-mash. LOL If I search for LR tuts and/or videos, I get a gazillion. Which ones are good?
Old 02-12-2011, 05:08 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperboutique View Post
I need to know what do I start with? What settings should I use for importing, file preferences, etc. I've played around with it before, but I've never actually gotten serious about it, so my knowledge is a total mish-mash. LOL If I search for LR tuts and/or videos, I get a gazillion. Which ones are good?
Well I have it set up so that when I plug my memory card in Lightroom automatically opens and some box pops up with all the picture dates on my card and I select which ones I want opened. (Is that what you mean?)

march challenge tracker | find me on instagram and pinterest | she/her
Old 02-12-2011, 05:19 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have all my photos stored on my computer or on my EHD. So I've installed LR...and now what? What are some of the very first things that I do when I open it for the first time?

Thanks for that Adobe TV...some of those I think will be really good!
Old 02-12-2011, 05:39 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Scott Kelby's Lightroom books are really great for getting started with LR, he has one for each version of LR. You may be able to find it at your local library if you don't want to buy it.
Old 02-12-2011, 05:44 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I used a lot of online tutorials and just self taught..there's still tons it will do that I don't take advantage of so over a year later I'm still learning

Old 02-12-2011, 05:57 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawna View Post
Scott Kelby's Lightroom books are really great for getting started with LR, he has one for each version of LR. You may be able to find it at your local library if you don't want to buy it.
Scott Kelby's are the best I think. He is pretty funny sometimes in there and you don't have to read the whole book at one sitting. He usually starts with importing/etc stuff. I'm working my way through his CS5 book now.

The best thing about LR is the actual edits are fairly easy. What you see is what you get. Even my DH can do it pretty decently in LR.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:55 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Another one who just googled tutorials Although when importing I just click on the image i want to import and that's it. There are a ton of presets out there but I pretty much just use WOW presets and Christian O'Dell's. Exporting I just changed the text of exported photos to "LR to use" and then a number. I don't organize my photos in LR, so when I scrap each layout gets its own folder and then I stick the edited photo in there.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:13 PM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

When I import, I do the following (I shoot RAW only with a Nikon):
~Convert the NEF files to DNG files. NEF is Nikon's raw file type. DNG is an open source file type (I think). Scott Kelby talks about it in his LR books, and his reasoning made sense to me, so that's what I do. You might be abe to google for more information on it.

~I import and backup at the same time. One copy goes to my EHD, another copy goes to my laptop hard drive (which I clear out randomly when the mood strikes). Everything gets copied to my 2 other EHD's eventually, and I rarely travel without one, so there's no real need for me to put them on my laptop, other than for peace of mind. I actually just deleted all of 2008 and 2009 off the laptop since they're on 3 EHD's and burned to DVD, lol.

~I have my imports set to all dump into 1 folder. I organize my photo folders by year, and then month and that's it. So everything for January 2011 is dumped into one big LR folder. (I export to a JPG folder within the January 2011 folder when I'm done in LR, and there's a web folder within the JPG folder. All files stay inside their respective month folders.) I like the catalog better having everything in 1 folder, than having 43920 folders for every time I imported that month. That's probably personal preference though.

~I set up a basic copyright (also from Kelby's book) and everything imported has that attached to it.

That's about it, I think. Pretty easy.

One of these days I'll get better about keyword tagging and setting up special collections for my favorite photos, but I'm just not there yet. LR does SO MUCH that I haven't touched. I don't even really play with presets very much. I mostly do basic editing and then move to PS and use my TRA actions.
Old 02-13-2011, 04:22 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

I can't learn from video tutorials, I need written words, so I got Kelby's book from the library and read up on teh Adobe site as well as www.lightroomkillertips.com
Old 02-14-2011, 12:36 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to AmyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawna View Post
Echo that. I bought his LR2 book and it was worth every penny.

facebook
Old 02-14-2011, 09:56 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Well I've started importing, flag for keeping, tagging and adding some collections. That's it though.

Colleen...are you adding a copyright to your metadata? I just added my name to the "creator"...??