Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 03-01-2013, 07:34 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Default Salt & Pepper Shaker Debate...

My mom just found me an awesome pair of new s&p shakers at the thrift store... They're big with these awesome handles, love them. So, I'm about to fill them and it made me think about a debate DH and I had way back when I filled our last set. He says the salt should be in the shaker with more holes, but I have always thought the pepper should go in the one with more. These new shakers have one with 5 holes fairly centered, and the other with 3 holes kind of spaced apart.

I'm leaning towards putting the salt in the one with 3 holes.

So, how would you do it?

Old 03-01-2013, 07:39 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I always thought salt had more holes.

Old 03-01-2013, 07:42 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Both my shakers have the same amount of holes and are the same size.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:44 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I think he's right... but I think your idea is healthier!

Old 03-01-2013, 07:45 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Cute!

Quote:
Dear Yahoo!:

Which goes in the shaker with more holes -- salt or pepper?
Shaken With Doubt
Hamden, Connecticut

Dear Shaken:

Until quite recently, when we started receiving this question from a number of readers, we were blissfully unaware this was the source of much controversy and debate. We had always been taught that salt went in the shaker with more holes and never thought to question this piece of wisdom.

However, our confidence was strongly shaken when we started researching the matter and learned that this question of dining etiquette is far from set in stone. We found many sources that completely disagreed with each other with complete authority. For example, About.com states that traditionally, pepper was more expensive than its easier-to-come-by companion salt, and so pepper was placed in the shaker with fewer holes to reduce usage. On the other hand, the International Guild of Professional Butlers asserts that salt shakers generally have larger and fewer holes to accommodate the larger, heavier grains that flow faster than pepper, although they do admit there is no manufacturing standard.

One web site indicated there seem to be two distinct camps in this matter -- the "Flow" camp and the "Flavor" camp. The Flow camp preaches that pepper grains are larger than salt grains and hence need more holes to equalize the flow between the two condiments. Interestingly enough, we found this same argument reversed on several sites, which claimed that salt is coarser than pepper and thus goes in the shaker with more holes. Guess it depends on the types of salt and pepper you are using.

The Flavor camp dictates that since people tend to use more salt than pepper, the salt should go in the shaker with more holes. Of course, if you are one of many people on a saltestricted diet, this solution may not make sense for you.

Sadly, Miss Manners and Emily Post did not seem to have any say on the matter, and even our favorite food reference site, epicurious.com, was of no help.

Our conclusion? Unless you have the kind of cutesy shakers where the holes spell out an "S" or a "P," feel free to go with the flow and do whatever suits you. Now that that's settled, pass the salt, please!
http://ask.yahoo.com/20040126.html

Old 03-01-2013, 07:58 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

LOL! That's funny, Nicole!

Over here I've noticed restaurants always have the salt in the shaker with more holes. Go figure.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:01 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I think that most people put salt in the more holes shaker but I never have. We don't use a lot of salt but we use a ton of pepper. Now I use grinders for both so it doesn't matter
Old 03-01-2013, 08:17 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We have a pepper grinder, so I wouldn't even know. Our salt shaker (that's in a set with the pepper grinder) has 5 holes fairly centered, if that helps.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:22 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keely~B View Post
I think that most people put salt in the more holes shaker but I never have. We don't use a lot of salt but we use a ton of pepper. Now I use grinders for both so it doesn't matter
See, this is me. I don't use a lot of salt but I love pepper. I can't stand it when I want to just add a little bit of salt and tons of it dumps out. I also think it makes more sense to have less holes because salt is heavier and pours much faster.

The funny thing is that DH's family is big into salt. Not only table salt, but they always had a bottle of Season All seasoned salt on the table, too. No matter what, he adds salt to whatever I make BEFORE TASTING IT. It drives me nuts! One time my in-laws were over for dinner and my MIL started generously adding pepper to something accidentally because she assumed the salt would be in the shaker with more holes. They all told me I put the salt in the wrong shaker! LOL. That last set had a shaker with 1 hole (salt) and 3 holes (pepper).

Old 03-01-2013, 09:00 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My current set has holes in the shape of the letters "S" and "P" - so there is no guessing. I always put salt in the ones with more holes.

And my DH does the same thing, salts before tasting. So sometimes I leave out the salt when cooking since I know he will add it anyway. (although it depends on what I'm cooking)
Old 03-01-2013, 10:11 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I think traditionally the salt shaker had more holes, but I like you, am a big pepper fan, so I always give pepper more holes.

Now my shakers are stackable rocks...the pepper is gray and the salt is white.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:24 PM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd

Lol. I have never ever even thought about this. I think my s&p shakers have the same number of holes, except for the set that has a pepper grinder, and thus - no holes for the pepper.

Old 03-01-2013, 10:27 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I would probably put the pepper in the shaker with more holes. I am not a big salt person either and I can't stand when it comes pouring out!!
Old 03-01-2013, 11:11 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

The salt should go in the one with less holes because it comes out easier than pepper. Hubby and I had this debate years ago, too. lol
Old 03-01-2013, 11:32 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Growing up it seems I remember that salt was always more holes and pepper less holes. I haven't had a salt shaker in years and only use a pepper mill for pepper so I have no idea anymore. Now I would put the salt in the one with less holes because I'm not a salt person at all.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:40 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have always had sets with the exact same number of holes in each. Nothing cutesy for me, just standard shakers.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:45 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

salt in the one with more holes... and ummm I put salt on everything too including watermelon, c antelope and grapefruit
Old 03-02-2013, 12:49 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by YepBrook View Post
No matter what, he adds salt to whatever I make BEFORE TASTING IT. It drives me nuts!
My hubby does this too, either salt or ketchup! Drives me bonkers.

I always thought pepper went into the one with more holes. That's what I have here.

Old 03-02-2013, 11:05 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

I had more holes in the one with the S on it in my old set. The set I have now is a salt shaker & pepper grinder.

I don't regularly put salt & pepper on the table at mealtimes. Neither did my parents and neither do most of my friends. Except if it is a cookout or sometimes with potatoes. All the condiments come out at a cookout but otherwise the salt & pepper stay in the cupboard with the spices. If you want them you have to ask.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:08 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I am sitting in a restaurant right now... The pepper is in the one with more holes. DH just asked what I was doing and told him... He says that the salt is always in the least number holes. I laugh how would he know? He says its because he is always looking for the salt!!!! :d
Old 03-02-2013, 11:30 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

salt has two, pepper has three. and there's no method to it, i just chose out of the box when i filled them. but, i think my grandparents' set is the opposite. and at home, we have a pepper grinder anyway. so there's only a salt shaker.

Old 03-02-2013, 11:33 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I rarely add more salt to food after prepared. I almost always add more pepper so I use the one with more holes because it makes it easier to add.

Old 03-02-2013, 12:43 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

salt = more holes. I am supposed to limit salt intake but dont do great with that. I never use pepper. I prefer seasoning salt or Ol Bay though

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 03-02-2013, 12:44 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

salt makes watermelon better. Canteloupe too. I do not eat citrus though. Living next to an orange grove as a kid we had tons and tons of every citrus you can imagine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun69 View Post
salt in the one with more holes... and ummm I put salt on everything too including watermelon, c antelope and grapefruit

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow