Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2014, 09:13 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Default an error message of sorts

I am trying to get my scrapbooking supplies in order and while doing so a couple times now when I have went to delete a file (or folder) or even rename a file I get a message saying it cannot be done because the file is in use at the moment by another program. I have no programs open that I can see which would be causing this. I close everything out and then retry it by opening just that folder. It keeps up with the error message. The only thing I have found which helped was to completely shut down/restart. So I was wondering has anyone else encountered this problem while on their computer whether in the same manner as me or doing something else? Nothing I tried would allow me to delete the file in question except the restart of the computer. Sometimes it will be three or four different files/folders doing this so I am trying to find the best way to deal with it short of having to reboot everytime. Thanks.

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 09-23-2014, 09:27 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I get this when a file has recently been open in PSE and even though the file is no longer open, PSE is still open. I go in and open a different file in PSE and then it will let me delete. It's like PSE has to have a new file in the workspace. Maybe it's something like that?
Old 09-23-2014, 09:27 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

By chance do you have an auto backup running on your computer? I've found that sometimes I get that message when it's being backed up by Crashplan.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:44 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

No I do not have any auto-backup on the computer. I use paint shop pro and while the file had been open in that I had closed it there and double checked to make sure it was closed. I do sometimes use the preview feature from windows so thought maybe that was the culprit. But sometimes its not just one file but a whole folder that the computer wont let me delete. If the folder is empty because Ive moved the contents to a new file location I will go to delete the empty folder and it will just say this folder cannot be moved or deleted. If I could figure out why its doing it I would be really grateful. Like I said right now restarting is all Ive found which clears it out. Every now and then it is because the file actually is opened in PSP or some other graphic program but not very often.

Old 09-23-2014, 10:04 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Mine is always cause my backup plan is scanning it. Otherwise I have never received it.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:18 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx-nana-scraps View Post
I have that problem at times too. I will try an hour or two later or the even the next day and usually it will delete. Frustrating when you know it isn't open elsewhere. Good luck.
This happens to me, too, and usually if I try again the next time I'm on the computer it deletes without a problem. I also get that error message when things are backing up with Crashplan, but then it's almost always when I'm trying to save a file that I was working on in PS. (Why it keeps happening when I have Crashplan set not to back up open files I don't know, but at least it's not hard to pause Crashplan for a moment.)
Old 09-23-2014, 11:09 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Yes, I've also come across this problem recently and can't explain it. Nothing is open on my computer, I don't have auto-backup going on... the only thing that might be running is my anti-virus program which does random checks at any time when the computer is switched on. I sometimes have to wait 4 or 5 days before I can finally delete the files or folders.
Old 09-24-2014, 06:55 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to pewtertm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jak View Post
Yes, I've also come across this problem recently and can't explain it. Nothing is open on my computer, I don't have auto-backup going on... the only thing that might be running is my anti-virus program which does random checks at any time when the computer is switched on. I sometimes have to wait 4 or 5 days before I can finally delete the files or folders.

Ditto this.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:39 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

This happens to me occasionally in ACDSee too when trying to delete empty folders. Never considered THAT might be Crashplan. I'm kind of used to it when saving PSD's in process but it's still kind of a pain.
Old 09-24-2014, 02:23 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica31876 View Post
No I do not have any auto-backup on the computer. I use paint shop pro and while the file had been open in that I had closed it there and double checked to make sure it was closed. I do sometimes use the preview feature from windows so thought maybe that was the culprit. But sometimes its not just one file but a whole folder that the computer wont let me delete. If the folder is empty because Ive moved the contents to a new file location I will go to delete the empty folder and it will just say this folder cannot be moved or deleted. If I could figure out why its doing it I would be really grateful. Like I said right now restarting is all Ive found which clears it out. Every now and then it is because the file actually is opened in PSP or some other graphic program but not very often.
I've run into this issue with PSP as well. I think it's because, even though the file(s) are closed, PSP has the folder (sometimes the files) in it's cache. For example, I used the batch process tool on some files that were .bmp that I wanted saved as .jpg to a different folder and renamed. After I finished the batch process, when I tried to move the folder, it wouldn't let me. I had to close down PSP and then it would let me. Sometimes just exiting out of PSP doesn't completely close it down and it's still running in the background. If you bring up the task manager and go to the "processes" tab, you can see if PSP is still running in the background. If it is, you can either wait a few minutes for it to finish closing down the program or, if you're in a hurry, right click on it in the list and choose "end task". The will end the program and you should then be able to delete, move, rename or whatever it was you wanted to do.
Old 09-24-2014, 03:23 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've been organizing and running into the same problem too. Usually I just remember which file it is, move on for a few minutes, and whatever I've done has been enough for the computer to forget what it's doing. I've also noticed (and I'm on a PC using PSCS5) that if I cut and paste files out of a folder it will more frequently happen than if I drag and drop into folders. No science here, just guesses that work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-24-2014, 03:42 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

This happens to me all the time and it's so frustrating! I'm always able to delete later but it's still frustrating when you are trying to organize a large amount of kits because you procrastinated unzipping :-)

Old 09-24-2014, 05:00 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliaM View Post
I've run into this issue with PSP as well. I think it's because, even though the file(s) are closed, PSP has the folder (sometimes the files) in it's cache. For example, I used the batch process tool on some files that were .bmp that I wanted saved as .jpg to a different folder and renamed. After I finished the batch process, when I tried to move the folder, it wouldn't let me. I had to close down PSP and then it would let me. Sometimes just exiting out of PSP doesn't completely close it down and it's still running in the background. If you bring up the task manager and go to the "processes" tab, you can see if PSP is still running in the background. If it is, you can either wait a few minutes for it to finish closing down the program or, if you're in a hurry, right click on it in the list and choose "end task". The will end the program and you should then be able to delete, move, rename or whatever it was you wanted to do.
thank you ! I think this maybe the issue I am dealing with <<for helping me some virtual flowers and candies

Old 09-24-2014, 11:42 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica31876 View Post
thank you ! I think this maybe the issue I am dealing with <<for helping me some virtual flowers and candies
You're welcome...and thank you. It took me a while to figure out what was causing it. It would be nice if that message that pops up could tell you which program it is that's using. At least that would help narrow it down.