Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2012, 07:15 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default Week in the Life - List of "Must" photos?

For those that have done this - or even day in the life... do you have a list of must photos you want to include in your project this year?

Here is on my list so far (that I did last year)...
pictures of:
Miles on the cars
mail each day
family photo
vitamins, shampoo, body wash, etc
fav tv shows

Last year I also added newspaper headlines for each day and a page of everyone's favorites...

I think I want to include prices, by using this template...

What is on your list?
Old 04-15-2012, 07:57 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Hmm...I'm going to borrow heavily from Lynnette's album with the fashion, tech, places we went to, etc.
Meals we ate
Music I was listening to
"just woke up" photos
Beauty products, books I'm reading, etc.
Maybe temperature and weather of each day?
Old 04-15-2012, 08:31 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm borrowing heavily from lynnette's as well, along with your list.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:54 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm not doing mine until the fall, but I'm going to include currents/favorites, media (song, TV, movie, website) of the week, prices of X, Y, and Z, 'routine' (morning, naptime, bedtime), meals/food, weather, hot topics/headlines, daily self portrait, daily Facebook/Twitter (or at least the most important or interesting) update, places we go (pictures of local landmarks or buildings we often frequent), things in the house that are a 'sign' of someone e.g. Miss Monkey's shoe tucked into the bookshelf or one of her Little People in an unusual place, daily chores or the evidence they've been done, layouts I've done that week (in thumbnail form)... that might be it.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:38 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oooh, I think i'm going to need that template! Where can I see Lynnette's album? I'm going to need all the ideas I can get!
Old 04-15-2012, 12:04 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakingbrie View Post
Oooh, I think i'm going to need that template! Where can I see Lynnette's album? I'm going to need all the ideas I can get!
My album was a printed Blurb book so you can see the digital pages here and the printed Blurb version here.

As far as must-have photos, my big thing was making sure I got people shots in addition to detail/stuff shots so I made extra effort to use my camera remote a lot.

One thing I found definitely helpful was uploading my photos often (every day or other day). That way I could see what photos I still wanted to get and which things I had plenty of photos of already.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:51 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

So am I understanding this correctly? You take photos of just about everything for one week and then scrap them into layouts based on the individual days? How do you choose a week? I'm sorry to be so uninformed, so if anyone could point me in the right direction, I will take a look at this intriguing project. Thanks so much!
Old 04-15-2012, 12:58 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loriebug66 View Post
So am I understanding this correctly? You take photos of just about everything for one week and then scrap them into layouts based on the individual days? How do you choose a week? I'm sorry to be so uninformed, so if anyone could point me in the right direction, I will take a look at this intriguing project. Thanks so much!
Yes and no. The goal is to capture the details of a week in your life. Some people scrap them day by day, others do it more themed (food, etc). It's pretty much up to you.

You can find all the details and examples from past years at Ali Edward's site: http://aliedwards.com/2010/01/week-in-the-life.html
Old 04-15-2012, 01:50 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Thanks Lynnette.

Last edited by LJSDesigns; 04-15-2012 at 05:02 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:55 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Oh... this thread is great... last year were were on vacation so it was easy to get pictures every day... this will be great to have since it will be a normal week for us
Old 04-15-2012, 02:14 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

LOVE your album, thanks for the link!!
Old 04-15-2012, 09:04 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Ali Edwards has a list of suggestions for "Must Have" photos near the end of this blog post.

I'm still working on mine, but here's what I've got so far. Some will be daily, others will only be once. I'm planning to "recycle" shots, too. So if I'm not at DS's baseball practice that week or I don't go into the kids' classrooms, I'll use a photo I already have as a stand in.

DH getting home
DS1 and DS2 preparing for school
DD and my outfits
Kids' TV/computer/Leapster choices
Bedtime stories
Favorite toys, books, etc.
Dinner every night
Dropping DD off at preschool
Elementary school Kiss and Ride, school building
Kids' Activities-baseball, My Gym, friend's birthday party, playground, anything else on the calendar
Papers/projects the kids bring home from school
Grocery cart
Receipts or photos of other errands (Target, anything else?)
Sat dinner out
Photo of a CT Layout
Weekly page from our budget notebook

Since the boys are at school and DH is at work all day, I think I'm going to do one extra page for each of them at the end of my album. So I'll write down 1-3 things that happened at school or work each day and make each of them a page with their week's list and 1-2 photos that I already have of their classroom, teacher, etc.

Last edited by rach3975; 04-15-2012 at 09:10 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:33 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I think that's the hardest part about doing AWITL for the family is that DH is at work, the kids are at school, my pictures would all be evening pictures without being completely repetitive. Mornings around here are too rushed to take pictures. We wake up at 7 and are out the door by 7:20. I don't have time to get pictures. LOL

I might have to wait and do this over the summer...
Old 04-15-2012, 10:50 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Wow, that's a crazy schedule, Sherri! We start getting ready at 7:15, and it's a struggle to get out of the house by 8:15.

I have DD around all day, but I'm going to try to include my school-aged kids in the album as much as I do her. I think I'll probably come up with a list of themes for the boys' photos, things like like doing homework, playing on favorite websites, and playing with favorite toys. That way I can use 1 or 2 daily photos of each of them and still have some variety.

DH will be my biggest problem. He leaves as I'm getting up and doesn't get home until we're ready to put the kids to bed. He's so not going to want me taking photos of him every night. I'll try to get him on most of the pages, but some days it just won't happen.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:55 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherri Tierney View Post
I think that's the hardest part about doing AWITL for the family is that DH is at work, the kids are at school, my pictures would all be evening pictures without being completely repetitive. Mornings around here are too rushed to take pictures. We wake up at 7 and are out the door by 7:20. I don't have time to get pictures. LOL

I might have to wait and do this over the summer...
Don't wait - scrap what you life is really like. Take one quick pic each morning - the clock, in the car, what you are wearing, etc. Then so what if each day is the same. Scrap what you have for dinner, what's on TV/computer/books you are reading, the kids doing homework. I know it sounds borning - I think the same thing but really the idea is to capture what a regular old week in your life is like right now. There are no rules that each day has to be a double page spread - even one pic a day and some journaling about what you do is great documentation. Give it a thought.

Our days Mon-Fri are all pretty similar and I run out of photo ideas on day 3 but I'm asking everyone to participate this time. So I'll let both girls take pictures and try to capture the things that make our every day life, so every day. Think about a question a day you could as each person and document their answer.

My pic list includes -
The family room couch with laundry on it
A pic of my new office (maybe even a pic of me working in my new office)
Pics of Katie (13) each morning - she amazes me how cute she looks heading off to school.
PIcs of Hannah taking her daily meds (and me and Jason too)
PIcs of books we are reading
Pics of the cats in their favorite hang out spots
At least one pic of the front of our house
Food we eat for dinner
Grocery shopping or at least the bags of groceries when I get home
A question a day for the kids

Last edited by julifish; 04-16-2012 at 11:58 AM.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:23 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

I don't have a must have list, I just take pictures of whatever everyday and make a LO of how that day went....I would like to take a picture of Sam everyday cause I don't get as many picture sof her as I should!!! and I will probably try to take a picture of Abby with her school outfit everyday! And we will take 1 family potrait with the remote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:52 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach3975 View Post
Wow, that's a crazy schedule, Sherri! We start getting ready at 7:15, and it's a struggle to get out of the house by 8:15.

I have DD around all day, but I'm going to try to include my school-aged kids in the album as much as I do her. I think I'll probably come up with a list of themes for the boys' photos, things like like doing homework, playing on favorite websites, and playing with favorite toys. That way I can use 1 or 2 daily photos of each of them and still have some variety.

DH will be my biggest problem. He leaves as I'm getting up and doesn't get home until we're ready to put the kids to bed. He's so not going to want me taking photos of him every night. I'll try to get him on most of the pages, but some days it just won't happen.
Well... at the beginning of the year I got up at 6:15 and woke the kids up by 6:25. It has slowly gotten later and later. I realized we're all happier with the few more minutes of sleep so the kids come in to my bed at 6:25-6:35 (depending on which time I remember to call them after hitting snooze on my phone) and we cuddle until 6:55 when I turn off the alarm. Its 7 before we make it all the way out of bed though. LOL Its a good thing I don't wear makeup to work or do my hair or anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by julifish View Post
Don't wait - scrap what you life is really like. Take one quick pic each morning - the clock, in the car, what you are wearing, etc. Then so what if each day is the same. Scrap what you have for dinner, what's on TV/computer/books you are reading, the kids doing homework. I know it sounds borning - I think the same thing but really the idea is to capture what a regular old week in your life is like right now. There are no rules that each day has to be a double page spread - even one pic a day and some journaling about what you do is great documentation. Give it a thought.

Our days Mon-Fri are all pretty similar and I run out of photo ideas on day 3 but I'm asking everyone to participate this time. So I'll let both girls take pictures and try to capture the things that make our every day life, so every day. Think about a question a day you could as each person and document their answer.

My pic list includes -
The family room couch with laundry on it
A pic of my new office (maybe even a pic of me working in my new office)
Pics of Katie (13) each morning - she amazes me how cute she looks heading off to school.
PIcs of Hannah taking her daily meds (and me and Jason too)
PIcs of books we are reading
Pics of the cats in their favorite hang out spots
At least one pic of the front of our house
Food we eat for dinner
Grocery shopping or at least the bags of groceries when I get home
A question a day for the kids
Good list.

To do this next week wouldn't be an accurate representation of our schedule though... DH usually works 11pm-7am Sunday night through Thursday night (with several Fridays thrown in for overtime). Right now they have him on a stupid 7pm-7am schedule where he's working every weekend but has some days off during the beginning of the week. Next week is the last of the craziness (I hope!) so I guess I could document that fact.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:41 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

Every time I took a picture last year I took a picture of the time. Quite a few tines it was just my cellphone showing the time, but I also found quite a few other places to show the time. The dash in my car...different clocks around the house...a bell tower downtown...etc. My family really liked seeing the time because it showed more of how our routine goes each day.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:43 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
To do this next week wouldn't be an accurate representation of our schedule though... DH usually works 11pm-7am Sunday night through Thursday night (with several Fridays thrown in for overtime). Right now they have him on a stupid 7pm-7am schedule where he's working every weekend but has some days off during the beginning of the week. Next week is the last of the craziness (I hope!) so I guess I could document that fact.
I try to think of it as just this week in this year - not necessarily a typical week, just a week. Ali picks a different week every year so if I can ever actually get a week completed it will be totally different next year. I've started it the last 2 years but then got hung up on the fact that our days look very similar since we both work and kids are both at school all day. But thats our life right now and I hope that one day this will be interesting even if right now it seems rather repetitive.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:57 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've decided not to do AWITL because I try to include all this daily stuff in my Project Life, but some of the detail shots I've taken include:

car dashboard
a quick snap of the kids when I drop them at school (this can be tricky!)
a shot from my car as I drive into our neighborhood (I pull over first!)
screenshots from my iphone and computer
my desk
our dog's toy bin
our (relatively huge) shelf-full of cereal boxes
my coffee machine (which I rely on heavily!)
the contents of my kids' backpacks (eek)
something we're watching on TV (I take an actual picture of the TV)
I took some fun pictures last week of my & my dog's shadows as I walked him down the street (you could easily do family shots this way too, or just a picture of your dog from the "top" while walking).
Old 04-23-2012, 12:05 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

OMG I so want that template! I'll come back later to share my must haves..great idea BTW!!!

**rushes out the office door**
Old 04-23-2012, 12:11 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by crecia27 View Post
I try to think of it as just this week in this year - not necessarily a typical week, just a week. Ali picks a different week every year so if I can ever actually get a week completed it will be totally different next year. I've started it the last 2 years but then got hung up on the fact that our days look very similar since we both work and kids are both at school all day. But thats our life right now and I hope that one day this will be interesting even if right now it seems rather repetitive.
This is us too! I'll just try to capture our daily life together in the evenings. Even the fact that our evenings aren't filled with activities is something to look back on to see what we did at home. It can be simple as kids doing homework, reading and relax and me doing dishes! lol

This is my first year too. I started taking pics last year and then, got off track. I'm determined to complete this project this year.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:40 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMarch View Post
I've decided not to do AWITL because I try to include all this daily stuff in my Project Life, but some of the detail shots I've taken include:

car dashboard
a quick snap of the kids when I drop them at school (this can be tricky!)
a shot from my car as I drive into our neighborhood (I pull over first!)
screenshots from my iphone and computer
my desk
our dog's toy bin
our (relatively huge) shelf-full of cereal boxes
my coffee machine (which I rely on heavily!)
the contents of my kids' backpacks (eek)
something we're watching on TV (I take an actual picture of the TV)
I took some fun pictures last week of my & my dog's shadows as I walked him down the street (you could easily do family shots this way too, or just a picture of your dog from the "top" while walking).
I love that idea of the shadows. Thank you!