Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2012, 07:30 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Default thrush

Did any of you ever have experience with thrush when your kids were little and/or with breastfeeding? Chloe has had this white coating on her tongue for a few days, but it wasn't anywhere else. It didn't look like what I thought thrush looked like, so I figured I'd just wait til her regular check-up this week. Well, her ped yesterday said it *could* be thrush, but he wasn't sure because it looked pretty mild. He decided to treat it just to be on the safe side because it wouldn't hurt anything if that's NOT what it is. He said that most often when breastfed babies have it, moms have it on their breasts, too. Well, I hadn't had any problems, so he said that wasn't always the case... just something they see a lot.

So starting this afternoon, my breasts have been so sore. I have this deep "shooting" pain starting almost up at my armpit and going down into my nipple (on both sides, but one side is worse than the other). From what I've googled, this sounds like thrush, too.

I've read about using OTC antifungal creams on the breast to clear it up that way. Has anyone done that? I assume I'd put it on after she eats and then wash it off before she eats again? I hate to call my doctor again (I just saw him yesterday for something else), but if it's something I can treat OTC, I will (Chloe has prescription Nystatin for hers). Maybe I'll call the Lactation Clinic tomorrow and ask for advice there, too.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 04-17-2012, 07:48 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Never had any experience with thrush Libby, but since I work with a physician group I wanted to encourage you to call the doctor tonight. A nurse will probably call you back vs. the doctor - better to know for sure and why be in pain another day if you could start treatment tonight? It's better to ask than guess and that is why doctors have after hours coverage - don't worry about being a pain!!!!

Hope you both feel better soon.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:22 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I had thrush with my daughter and UGH - it was so not fun. But it was 5 years ago so my recollection of exactly what we did is sketchy at best. I think I have a blog post about it somewhere, I'll go look and link you via PM if I do.

There are some good resources & advice here:

KellyMom

La Leche League

So sorry you're dealing with that - it's really not fun.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:28 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

i'm so sorry libby that never happened to me. i know they used to recommend gentian violet but like lots of other things i'm not sure that they recommend it anymore.

definitely call the doctor or you can call you ob/gyn. i think you can safely go on fluoconaze (that might be spelled wrong.)
Old 04-17-2012, 08:32 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

i, too, have heard the gentian violet thing - though it will turn everything purple!!! i personally have never dealt with thrush, but i hope you are able to treat it & kick it to the curb!

siggy by the incredibly amazing Jacinda
Old 04-17-2012, 08:54 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yes -- totally sounds like thrush. Both Eli and I got it when I was nursing -- right after I had mastitis. I went to the lactation consultant I was working with and she gave me the gentian violet. It does turn everything purple, but worked like a charm. If I remember correctly, I put it on me after nursing and let it air dry. I can't remember if we put it on Eli too. But seriously, it took care of it quite quickly. I think since I had the mastitis and was on antibiotics, that was what caused the thrush. And Eli will be turning 2 in May *sniff sniff*, so it wasn't too long ago.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:55 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

*sigh* Thanks girls.

Joana, those links were very helpful (albeit discouraging LOL). I'll call my ob as well as the lactation clinic tomorrow. I'm thinking gentian violet may be the way to go, but because I'm already feeling the deep shooting pain in my ducts, it may be necessary to go on an oral medication.

"My" doctor is on base, and honestly, I hate calling them for things because I feel like they just put a bandaid on things and don't really treat them. I can't be seen off base without a referral though, so I will have to start there if the ob who delivered her can't call something in for me.

Praying that I can stay strong and get through this. With everything else on my plate right now, this REALLY makes me want to quit breastfeeding.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:05 PM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm

so sorry Libby I remember how painful that was! I used gentian violet when Logan and I had thrush. This article describes how to use it, I had to laugh at step #9. I have to tell you that your baby will look like a clown with a purple mouth. It's pretty ridiculous. But it works. Make sure you get some pics of her sweet purple face Don't get discouraged! ((hugs))

adding- don't wear your favorite bra after doing this. If I remember right, it does turn the fabric purple.

Last edited by Julie Billingsley; 04-17-2012 at 09:11 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:30 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

awww libby, breastfeeding struggles are SOOOO discouraging but i promise you it gets better & easier!! if it's something you really want, hang in there & i'm happy to be your personal cheerleader. i can't tell you how many times with my first son i was ready to throw in the towel (for different reasons, but still so frustrated and worn down) but after like 3-4 months it was like second nature. it's just those first months when you're already stressed & sleep deprived that it's the hardest, and of course that's when you really just want to quit. big, big hugs to you!

siggy by the incredibly amazing Jacinda
Old 04-17-2012, 09:44 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Thanks everyone!!

Sara, that's it exactly. We had massive struggles with latching at first, but I finally feel like we've got it. There were SO many times I wanted to quit, but I found a great lactation consultant who helped me tremendously. Although I've dealt with some blanching on one side, I've learned to nurse through the pain. So, I felt like we finally had a rhythm that worked for us. When you combine this with the PPD I've been dealing with, this is sorta the final straw.

I know I sound like I'm having a big old pity party, and I sure don't mean for it to. I know there are much much much worse things I could be dealing with. I'm so very thankful for what we have. I'm just worn down.

I'm gonna call my LC tomorrow and definitely try the gentian violet. I will keep trying a while longer because I really DO want to make this work. Even through it all, I still love breastfeeding.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:40 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to LenaGardner

I got my gentian violet at CVS even I have some hilarious GV pics of Parker. I hope you feel better soon Libby!
Old 04-18-2012, 08:11 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oooooh yes...Ethan had thrush for his entire first year! He also had the purple mouth to go along with it (gentian violet). lol

I never got thrush while nursing any of my babies (not sure how I managed that?), but I remember Sydney had some kind of anti-fungal stuff and Ethan, nothing worked on him except for the gentian violet.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:17 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

Libby don't wait to get treated trust me! I had suspicions that my 2nd DD had thrush but I waited for a dr appointment to find out. By the time I did I ended up having mastitis, thrush, and another infection from cracking. I got a huge lecture about coming in or at least calling if I ever had pain again.

Hope you get feeling better soon!
Old 04-18-2012, 08:29 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

I haven't read any of the responses but I had it terrible with my last and this is what worked for me and just my 2 cents!!

I never gave C the liquid Nystatin, if you read the insert it's made up of more then 50% sugar and that's what yeast feeds on......so why would I coat his mouth 3 to 4 times a day with sugar!?!?! I just used the Nystatin cream that the ped prescribed....you do not have to wipe it off...just apply it the number of time it says and let her nurse like normal.

However...it didn't help me....which is normal...yeast can be very resistant...so I went with Grapefruit seed extract!! You could try the Gentian Violet...but honestly it's way to messy!!!

http://drjaygordon.com/breastfeeding/thrush.html

Also the key is you have to BOIL anything and everything that touches your nipple and her mouth.....EVERYTHING!!! Binkies, bottles, horns if you are pumping, toys. Your bras, breast pads (if you are using cloth ones), shirts if you wear them without a bra all need to be washed in hot hot water!!!

If you are diligent it will clear up quick!!! Good luck!!!

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 04-18-2012, 09:06 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I haven't read the replies yet but if you have the symptoms of thrush get nystatin for you. Also boil all your pump parts, pacis and anything else that you put in your mouth or on your breast in vinegar water.

And wash all your bras on super hot.

I had it once and it blew. HUGS
Old 04-18-2012, 10:04 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I had it with Landen and the nystatin cream is what worked for us...I also should add that you should make sure you hang your bra's on the line so they get the sun-yeast hate sun!
Old 04-18-2012, 10:16 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

The shooting pain sounds like mastitis Libby - call about that ASAP because from my experience it will only get worse, and you will start feeling like you do when you get an infection (uti/strep/ect.) tired, shivery, super weak - all that fun stuff - its pretty easy to treat though with antibiotics.

In the meantime just take it easy on yourself! I hope the lactation consultant can help ease your stress/fears about the thrush.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:14 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to xboxmom

Ugh I had to deal with this when I had caleb. I used the nystatin cream on my nipples and then I had to take a warm wash cloth and rub nystatin liquid into his mouth a few times a day. It was gross and my nipples hurt and itched like MAD! I hope you can get it sorted out soon it is never fun to deal with.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:29 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I had a friend who dealt with thrush the whole time she was breastfeeding. She was a 'natural' mama and treated both her and the kiddo with homeopathic medicines. Sorry, I'm not familiar with the names of these things, but La Leche League might know!
Old 04-18-2012, 07:56 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Thanks everyone! I called my OB today, and the lactation consultant in their office called in a prescription for me. So, we're going to try that and the Nystatin for Chloe first. If that doesn't work, I'll try the gentian violet for both of us.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:37 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Dr Newman's Nipple Cream is what I recruitment. It works better than GV for me.