Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 04-02-2018, 03:01 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Happy world autism day!

Do you know anyone who is autistic? Give them a hug today!

April 2nd is World Autism Day while the month of April is World Autism Month.

My boys are both autistic and while we loathe Autism Speaks, we are still wearing blue for them today. I've also painted a bunch of autism infinity symbol rocks (the symbol that autistics have chosen for themselves rather than the puzzle pieces) and will be spreading them all over the place wherever I go this month!

Just wanted to spread some love and acceptance in hopes of giving my boys a better world to be in

I changed my avi too but it's not showing up weirdly... ?

Old 04-02-2018, 04:27 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

hugs to you and your boys
Old 04-02-2018, 09:33 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Happy World Autism Day! One of my sons is on the spectrum, too. His ASD is caused by a genetic disorder, Smith-Magenis Syndrome, so I tend to be more involved in that community than the larger autism community. Regardless of the specific diagnosis, I'm with you on spreading love and acceptance!
Old 04-02-2018, 09:38 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Maybe your avatar isn't showing up because it's too large, doesn't fit the requirements? Have you checked the size and dimensions?

So do we get to see your rocks? I know I can probably see them on Facebook or IG, but it would be nice for everyone to see your talent! <3
Old 04-02-2018, 10:29 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh the rocks aren't all that great, just the infinity symbol, lol

And yes, the avatar is the right size. Not sure why it's not showing showing up

Old 04-02-2018, 10:49 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Lucas was just diagnosed last year. We're still learning and trying to find ways to help him. Most of his struggles are with his social skills. Where we live is challenging because we have limited resources but things are getting better
Old 04-02-2018, 11:00 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Hugs to you guys! <3 The first little bit after the diagnosis is hard, but then you get into a groove and figure things out that work for the kid and it's better.

Jamesen was diagnosed at 2, but Marcus wasn't diagnosed until almost 7 because he was "too social to be autistic". I feel like that really was detrimental for him, because of my two, Marcus has needed more help.

We've learned a lot in the last 6 years (Jamesen is 8 now), and I know you guys will too! You can do just as good of a job for him on your own! I tell you that because I had to do that with Marcus. They wouldn't approve anything for him but speech, but I worked with him at home.

If Lucas is struggling with anythign specific, search for it on youtube and pinterest and you can find a lot of good stuff both for you to do and for him to do!

Old 04-03-2018, 10:32 AM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

My son is on the Spectrum - diagnosed at age 4 with what was then called Aspergers with ADHD tendencies, Sensory Processing Disorder, Anxiety/Depression and Mood Disorder-NOS. He just turned 14 in February and we, yes all of us as a family, have come a long ways from those early days navigating the special needs world. He had to be hospitalized when he was 6 years old, for a month in a hospital an hour and half away from us. It was pure hell. While we still struggle at times, he's come so far and sometimes I forget he's even got these "special needs". From the days where he couldn't be in a crowd without completely shutting down and zoning out to being active in 2 different after school groups now, the growth and changes over the years amaze me. I still feel like I am failing at this parenting thing on the regular but people keep telling me where he is now is a testament to our parenting and being his biggest cheerleaders. I am not involved heavily in the autism community as I once was - mainly because of his growth over the years and really just following his lead - it's not a big deal to him, he will often make jokes and tell you that "my autism is showing". Him being the age he is now makes it easier in a lot of ways cause he's learned how to better communicate his needs overall.

Old 04-03-2018, 12:22 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My oldest saying his autism is showing and uses it as an excuse when he doesn't want to do anything "my autism says no thanks" lolol!

Hooray for growth! I do think age plays a big role in that too. As they mature, they are more able to understand, vocalize, and process the crazy world around them