Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2013, 02:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keely~B View Post
See I don't like that, it rubs me the wrong way. I don't think you should be able to basically pay for extra-credit. There's no learning or effort involved.
Oh, I agree that it sends the wrong message and really isn't requiring effort for extra credit... trust me, I was never in favor of that when I was in school. I just think it helps the exchange students that I work with through those first crucial weeks where they're still translating in their heads (before they fully switch over to English mode), so that's why I recommend they take advantage of it.

That aside, I'm not a fan of the policy in general

New Siggy Coming Soon
Old 08-26-2013, 09:14 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Last night as I was packing I realized I accidently bought 6 sharpies instead of 6 dry erase markers. I told the teacher tonight that I would need to send them in this week and she told me not to worry about it, she always ends up with lots left over and can get more from the office if she needs it. o_O She also had us throw all the pencils in a shared box, but I had bought half fun ones, not boring yellow. She told me to keep those for him in his desk then. I have to admit, I am not a fan of shared supplies either.
Old 08-01-2014, 04:37 PM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm

I had to bump this back up from last year. My son is going into middle school now and so I had a big CHEER when I realized it was no longer community supplies like in elementary school. Instead what I buy is actually going to be used by my own kid. I got his supply list and it's fairly basic except that he needs a 3" binder (seriously those are huge) and 8 "single subject notebooks with plastic covers". After some researching, I finally realized those are spiral notebooks- but they must have plastic covers, not the normal covers. So, yay, I'm driving to every store in the area to hunt these babies out. And the regular spiral notebooks are 10cents... I'm just guessing the plastic covered ones aren't. I hate back to school shopping.
Old 08-01-2014, 06:54 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My son (2nd grade) is in a small private school. There are maybe 10 kids in his class. We give the teacher some money before school starts and she goes and buys what she wants. That way she can get the right kinds of pencils/colored notebooks or whatever.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:26 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I am so glad Cheyanne is in high school and just needs basics and not specifics! But, even when she was in grade school they were never so specific; i.e. colors, etc.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:23 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We never have to buy school supplies over here! My 8 year old uses everything the school provides and my 12 year old only has to take a pen, pencil and a ruler!
Old 08-02-2014, 10:03 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have the added joy of buying from two supply list for one child. We are trying to close on a new home. So the new house is in a different school district. His list looks like this 12 glue sticks, 2 boxes of wipes, one yellow and green folder with prongs (I can't find the yellow anywhere), 12 sharpened #2 pencils, expo markers, 2 packs of paper towels, 500 sheets of copy paper, scissors, 2 boxes of 24 crayola crayons, 1 box of 8 crayola crayons, sheet protectors.. It's a tad ridiculous. I don't mind bring more things in the middle of the year. Yet, they want at least two of everything.
Old 08-02-2014, 12:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinCB View Post
I have packages that you buy from the school :O Where I live I find it ends up cheaper than going to pick them up (our closest walmart is over an hour away) and yea.. its really affordable from where we order They arrive a week before school starts so you can pick them up. It is the greatest thing ever
when we lived in texas they had packets we could buy too - so much better than hunting everything down one by one. but here in australia it's even better - tuition covers supplies, so they just show up on the first day of school and supplies are there.
Old 08-02-2014, 05:03 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Just finished getting our supplies (it's tax free weekend here). Only 2 items were hard to find - orange pocket folders and a 5x8 box. Ended up buying a pink folder instead and will check walmart for the pencil box. (We went to target) I'm exhausted!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 08-02-2014, 05:14 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We are already two weeks in. It wasn't too bad. First year with both girls in school. 2nd grade had both community supplies (Kleenex) and individual supplies (folders, 3 ring binder), so I wasn't too upset because I felt confident sending the supplies with my daughter. But for kindergarten it is all community supplies. I spend the extra money on higher quality products (Crayola, etc.) and I do it so my daughter is using those kind of supplies. I hope I don't see her coming home with other supplies later. We are in a different district this year so we are still adjusting to things.

When I was kid in Texas, we too had the packs to purchase. You went to the Randall's grocery store and just picked up the pack for your grade and brought everything on the first day. I remember my mom or dad carry a lot of it for me those first few years!