Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2015, 08:49 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm
Default college advice..

So, I'm an indecisive crazy person. This is nothing new :P This will also get long, as I babble too much.. also nothing new.

but let me get to it.. lol

When i initially was denied acceptance to the phlebotomy program (they only accept a handful of people each term- I was later accepted a few weeks later), I was planning on switching to clinical lab technology- which is a full associates degree program (Rather than phlebotomy which is just a certificate that allows me to go take my national 'certification' testing blah blah blah). Anyway, I think I wold probably be happier in that position (clinical lab technician- testing the blood rather than drawing the blood, though sometimes they draw when needed too).. but I'm not sure. I AM enjoying my phlebotomy program, and am doing very well.. acing my lecture exams & lab practicals.. granted i've not yet stuck a real person with a needle yet, but I feel like I would be confident in that role as well :P

My professor also heads the Clinical Lab program at my college-- she has a BA (one step above what my school offers) and works at a local hospital. She seemed pretty happy when I inquired about possibly switching to the clinical lab program-- I did tell her I was committed to following through with the phlebotomy, and that this would possibly be something i do AFTER.

My course load this semester has been a bit overwhelming, I've been able to keep up for the most part balancing life, work, school, etc though I have struggled. Next semester not only do I have classes I also have a 40hr/week for 5 weeks clinical rotation. So I was looking forward to having the summer off in between. I also have some travel plans this summer that I've been really looking forward to.

However.. I don't even know why I looked -.- but The 1 preeq course I need before even applying to the Clinical lab program (cellular biology) .. is available for summer session 2. of course. lol. Obviously.. this will be super fast paced.. 6 weeks, cramming cellular bio into my brain. It would line me up though.. that the moment I'm finished phlebotomy in december, I can (if accepted into the program) immediately roll into Clinical lab come January/Spring semester.

There are a couple problems with that of course though. In January, I will be taking my certification test, and hopefully finding a phlebotomy job. I have no way of predicting how quickly that will happen, and obviously I won't know where/what hour/etc etc I would work if/when I find said job. So being a student in january could potentially majorly conflict with my job search efforts. Of course, I could .. not find a job for 6 months, and then I just totally wasted all that time I could have been working on a degree.

aaaaah

I don't know what to do. I'm over thinking everything.

:/

what would you do.. LOL. I need to talk to my professor again, and probably call the advising office and figure out if I can even wing this if I decide to. My math scores might be too low.. but then this whole mind debate just switches from cellular biology, to a math class over the summer :P lol
Old 03-05-2015, 08:51 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I would take the lab testing because it sounds as if you would be dealing less with people and more with the science/bio aspect of it..
Old 03-05-2015, 09:00 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Sorry - you lost me at "phlebotomy" - I'm squeamish!

But if it were me, I'd take the summer class while I was on a roll, just to keep all doors open.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:00 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinCB View Post
I would take the lab testing because it sounds as if you would be dealing less with people and more with the science/bio aspect of it..
I have an acquaintance that works in a lab. Great steady, solid, job. I think if you are looking more for a more inward focused job that would be it!

If however you are looking more for a 'personal people connection' with your work then where you are would be just right!
Old 03-05-2015, 09:14 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristijoy View Post
If however you are looking more for a 'personal people connection' with your work then where you are would be just right!

lol that would def not be me.. I'm actually really really worried about the patient/people interaction aspects. like.. smelly people? dirty people? scary people?.. I'm really working on trying to convince myself it would be all OK LOL I can't hide from people forever...

aaaaaaaaaaaahhahah
Old 03-05-2015, 10:21 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I would ask for your doctors' advice and how working that hard/long would affect your physical health, La. Then I would decide what to do.

I don't want you getting sick again.
Old 03-05-2015, 10:44 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I would take the course. It lines you up if you want to take the course in January and if you decide in December you are done, no harm done. If you don't take it then you are out of luck in January if you want to take it and will have to wait. It will be a busy summer but you will have it done!

I miss school. I need to find a new program to take!
Old 03-05-2015, 11:00 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I agree with Lori - I have done summer papers the last 2 years and although they are intense it is doable

Scrappy Instagram

Creative Team Member for The Lilypad & Studio Liv

Old 03-06-2015, 12:21 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I'd say take the course so you keep your options open. You'd still have a shorter break the first part of the summer, and if it takes a while to find a job you're able to work toward a job that sounds like a better long term match.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:23 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to JMC1988

I'm going to be in the same boat real soon La!

Starting my Phlebotomy course in April and then wanting to do the MLT (medical lab technician) which is the same and the clinical lab technician! I am undecided. I think I would enjoy drawing the blood but would much rather work in the lab analyzing the blood and specimens with the MLT.

I say I would go ahead if you are able and do the class that will possibly allow you to go straight into the clinical lab technician degree as soon as you finish your phlebotomy certificate. That's what I am *planning* on doing! I will be in this with you!

Good luck!

Old 03-06-2015, 12:31 AM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMC1988 View Post
I'm going to be in the same boat real soon La!

Starting my Phlebotomy course in April and then wanting to do the MLT (medical lab technician) which is the same and the clinical lab technician! I am undecided. I think I would enjoy drawing the blood but would much rather work in the lab analyzing the blood and specimens with the MLT.

I say I would go ahead if you are able and do the class that will possibly allow you to go straight into the clinical lab technician degree as soon as you finish your phlebotomy certificate. That's what I am *planning* on doing! I will be in this with you!

Good luck!
neat :] let me know if you want my quizlet username for some added flash cards to study haha.. I'll be done my first phleb semester at the end of april :] it's actually flying by.

Thanks girlies.. I think you are all right, that I should try to grab a class if I can. I'm going to try to talk to someone tomorrow after class to see if i need to take an extra math first or not. which.. i do not want to do. math is evil hahah.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:45 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to JMC1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren grier View Post
neat :] let me know if you want my quizlet username for some added flash cards to study haha.. I'll be done my first phleb semester at the end of april :] it's actually flying by.
I most certainly will! I need all the help I can get! Ha!

Old 03-06-2015, 07:55 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I don't know... Yes, you would have a course to take if you don't get a job. But getting a break is important too. I guess having had trubble with stress myself I've had to learn to not rush things by skipping time off. I know, I'm no help, lol.
Old 03-06-2015, 11:40 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I don't know about the job stuff other than I would lean toward whichever job would make the most sense. If it's the lab tech stuff, putting in the work now seems easier than trying to do it later.

I do know that I did a summer session in college for the same reason - to get caught up for the start of the year. I took Calculus and while I was worried about the fast pace, I almost found it easier because I didn't have a full course load on top of it.
Old 03-06-2015, 01:15 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

My sister runs a lab and loves it. It would give you potential for much higher pay and more of a career than a job. I personally would take the course and just see. You can always get a phlebotomy job after you finish that course if you choose not to continue on to lab tech. I know here they are always hiring for phlebotomy people.
Old 03-06-2015, 03:31 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

Thanks girls <3

Lynette that made me feel better :] I met with advising today, and asked him if summer classes were harder LOL, he probably thought I was a wacko anyway, met with him and he was really really helpful. he told me the clinical lab program isn't super popular so fingers crossed I would be able to get in my first try. I am definitely taking a math course this summer (there's a web offering for the one I need woot, so that doesn't interfere with any other plans), and still trying to decide if I'll be doing the bio too or not. I emailed my professor a million questions when I got home, so she'll help me figure out my schedule/timeline a little more. I'm kind of excited, and a little overwhelmed, but I really think this will be a good direction for me long term. The guy in advising actually said it was pretty awesome that I wanted to finish up phlebotomy first, it's always good to have a plan B :]
Old 03-07-2015, 01:45 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Cheering for you!