Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 02-18-2021, 09:21 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Default External hard drive

Funny because I was thinking how lucky I was that my external hard drive had never failed me!!

Not that funny. All of my scrapbooking supplies are on it with the most recent stuff. I have a backup but who knows how long it's been since I backed up the back up!

What's the best brand for EHD? One that has never failed you??
Looking at Seagate or WD (the one that failed is a WD) or anything else I should know about?
Old 02-18-2021, 09:25 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

I'm so sorry! I hate that. I'm currently using the WD Passport EHD. I had a Seagate once and it died on me. I've heard that some online backup services are good, but haven't tried them yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leablahblah View Post

Funny because I was thinking how lucky I was that my external hard drive had never failed me!!

Not that funny. All of my scrapbooking supplies are on it with the most recent stuff. I have a backup but who knows how long it's been since I backed up the back up!

What's the best brand for EHD? One that has never failed you??
Looking at Seagate or WD (the one that failed is a WD) or anything else I should know about?
Old 02-18-2021, 10:34 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have had 2 Seagate ones and had no problems with them. I am HARD on my stuff and tendency to break stuff easily. These have held up. I passed my smaller one down to my son and upgraded to a 5TB one recently.
Old 02-18-2021, 10:45 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

moreso than brand (those are both good) get one that is an SSD if you can
Old 02-19-2021, 07:55 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm so sorry that happened to you. I had three fail in my time and my hard drive, so now I'm on a cloud which backs up everything right away. I don't even have to think about it. I did finally back up everything from last year on the external that I got from the data recovery company that I used. It's a SecureData external. I figure if they used that brand, it must (should) be good. Good luck with whatever you purchase!
Old 02-19-2021, 12:18 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

I have had failures of both Seagate and Western Digital so in my mind, there is really no difference between them.

Right now I have 4 different external hard drives. 2 are always connected. 1 of those does a nightly backup (Western Digital backup software). The other is a mirror of my digi scrapping and documents folders. The other 2 are for backup purposes only and I update them once a month. I have both Seagate and Western Digital in these 4 EHD's.

I did use a cloud backup for many years but had to quit using it because when it was working, it would cause my internet connection to go down. I could only do the backup during the night hours when I was sleeping and after getting a new computer due to the old one being fried during a power outage, it would have taken months to back everything up. Since I'm retired I had the time to do it myself to the EHD's and had it done is a couple of days. I also have had no connection issues since I stopped the service.
Old 02-19-2021, 02:42 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavaDrPepper View Post
I have had failures of both Seagate and Western Digital so in my mind, there is really no difference between them.

Right now I have 4 different external hard drives. 2 are always connected.
Twinsies! (Except I do still have BB, which is why I deleted your last paragraph lol.) My one difference is that everything is backed up--no mirroring. Problem is, I need to be better about manually backing them up. Once I realized how reliable BB is (for me--I know you had issues), I became lazy about backing up the EHDs lol. In fact, I'm going to post my LOs here and then turn on a podcast and back up stuff.

As to the OP: it's so frustrating when EHDs fail! (Hard drives/SSDs fail, too.) The pros recommend the 3-2-1 rule to help mitigate the frustration. I have Toshiba, WD, and Seagate EHDs. They've all been great. My two newest are an 8TB Seagate and 6TB WD. They're both great and speedy but need to be plugged in, but I have a desktop: portability isn't an issue. I plug them into my Plugable and call it good. The fastest portable EHD I've ever had is my Toshiba, but it's only 4TB and will soon be set aside to move to my parents' home (once we're traveling again and can drive there).

Good luck finding what works for you!
Old 02-19-2021, 04:26 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinCB View Post
moreso than brand (those are both good) get one that is an SSD if you can
What’s an SSD?
Old 02-19-2021, 04:30 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnZant View Post
I'm so sorry that happened to you. I had three fail in my time and my hard drive, so now I'm on a cloud which backs up everything right away. I don't even have to think about it. I did finally back up everything from last year on the external that I got from the data recovery company that I used. It's a SecureData external. I figure if they used that brand, it must (should) be good. Good luck with whatever you purchase!
Can you tell me which company you use for cloud backup?

And which data recovery did you use? I’m talking to a neighbor that might be able to retrieve the data but if it fails I’d love recommendations.

Thank you all for the feedback. I ended up ordering 2 WD. I have 2 Seagates. My plan is to keep the 2 Seagate for photos and the 2 WD for scrap supplies and alternate their use so they are always more or less current with backups.
Old 02-19-2021, 04:31 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
What’s an SSD?
https://www.pcmag.com/news/ssd-vs-hd...the-difference

This article talks about the difference between SSD and HDD (although this article is talking mostly about internal drives.

SSD are supposed to be more durable but they are way more expensive as well
Old 02-19-2021, 04:40 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I used Secure Data Recovery. Looks like they have locations all over, but they were NOT cheap. I guess that external comes right from their company. (Data recovery was how I started 2020 in January. It was a sign of things to come. . . )

I use Microsoft's OneDrive as my cloud. I pay $70 a year for 1GB, Office Suite, and support. For $100 a year you can get (I think) 6GB that can be family shared. I haven't had to recover anything yet because my computer's only one year old, but when I go online and check, everything seems to be there. At least if something does go wrong, I won't have to wait to have a external shipped to me. I can log into my cloud from any computer.
Old 02-19-2021, 06:22 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinCB View Post
https://www.pcmag.com/news/ssd-vs-hd...the-difference

This article talks about the difference between SSD and HDD (although this article is talking mostly about internal drives.

SSD are supposed to be more durable but they are way more expensive as well
My husband would say "you get what you pay for" so I totally get that. Well I didn't get that this time around but maybe next time.
Old 02-19-2021, 06:23 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I used Secure Data Recovery. Looks like they have locations all over, but they were NOT cheap. I guess that external comes right from their company. (Data recovery was how I started 2020 in January. It was a sign of things to come. . . )

I use Microsoft's OneDrive as my cloud. I pay $70 a year for 1GB, Office Suite, and support. For $100 a year you can get (I think) 6GB that can be family shared. I haven't had to recover anything yet because my computer's only one year old, but when I go online and check, everything seems to be there. At least if something does go wrong, I won't have to wait to have a external shipped to me. I can log into my cloud from any computer.
thanks, I'll look into it!
Old 02-19-2021, 07:49 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree City View Post
Twinsies! (Except I do still have BB, which is why I deleted your last paragraph lol.) My one difference is that everything is backed up--no mirroring. Problem is, I need to be better about manually backing them up. Once I realized how reliable BB is (for me--I know you had issues), I became lazy about backing up the EHDs lol. In fact, I'm going to post my LOs here and then turn on a podcast and back up stuff.
Mirror was probably the wrong word to use. That EHD is an exact copy of the directories on my C drive. In other words, I have to copy the stuff to it, it doesn't do it automatically. I have a system though (tracked by a spreadsheet) that whenever I download photos from my cameras or purchase kits, I record them on the spreadsheet. As soon as the kits are unzipped, they are copied to that EHD as are the photos when they are downloaded. So I then have a 2nd copy right away. I record the date I did it as well. There are 2 other columns to record the date when those items were backed up to the other 2 EHD's. This way I know exactly what still needs to be backed up. It took longer to set up the EHD backups the first time since everything needed to be copied over. Now it is just the new stuff. Several hours is all it takes.
Old 02-19-2021, 08:04 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

Looks like you've already purchased, but just wanted to pop in to say that I have two external HDs, both 4 TB, and run at 7200 rpm. I don't use either of them as backup, but one of them holds my design files, scrapbook kits, and photos. The other holds my layouts (I save PSDs) and other misc files.

I use Backblaze for my backup service and have for quite a few years. I've had one hard drive failure, and it was easy to contact Backblaze and get the entirety of my drives sent to me on one portable external hard drive. While I was waiting for that to be shipped ot me, I could access my files via Backblaze's cloud, and download individual files or folders if I needed them before the hard drive arrived.
Old 02-19-2021, 09:18 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Mirror was probably the wrong word to use. That EHD is an exact copy of the directories on my C drive. In other words, I have to copy the stuff to it, it doesn't do it automatically. I have a system though (tracked by a spreadsheet) that whenever I download photos from my cameras or purchase kits, I record them on the spreadsheet. As soon as the kits are unzipped, they are copied to that EHD as are the photos when they are downloaded. So I then have a 2nd copy right away. I record the date I did it as well. There are 2 other columns to record the date when those items were backed up to the other 2 EHD's. This way I know exactly what still needs to be backed up. It took longer to set up the EHD backups the first time since everything needed to be copied over. Now it is just the new stuff. Several hours is all it takes.
You seem to have the perfect system in place!
Old 02-19-2021, 09:19 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonewiththewind View Post
Looks like you've already purchased, but just wanted to pop in to say that I have two external HDs, both 4 TB, and run at 7200 rpm. I don't use either of them as backup, but one of them holds my design files, scrapbook kits, and photos. The other holds my layouts (I save PSDs) and other misc files.

I use Backblaze for my backup service and have for quite a few years. I've had one hard drive failure, and it was easy to contact Backblaze and get the entirety of my drives sent to me on one portable external hard drive. While I was waiting for that to be shipped ot me, I could access my files via Backblaze's cloud, and download individual files or folders if I needed them before the hard drive arrived.
Thanks Cheryl I need to look into backblaze.
Old 02-20-2021, 09:25 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonewiththewind View Post
I HIGHLY second Backblaze. I pay $60 a year for unlimited space. I do believe you are limited to 1 computer and 1 EHD with that. I've had to do 2 restores and the piece of mind is priceless.
Old 02-21-2021, 11:29 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bienejen View Post
I HIGHLY second Backblaze. I pay $60 a year for unlimited space. I do believe you are limited to 1 computer and 1 EHD with that. I've had to do 2 restores and the piece of mind is priceless.
It's really not that pricey but how do you limit to just one EHD??
Old 02-21-2021, 11:55 AM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
It's really not that pricey but how do you limit to just one EHD??
You aren't limited to one. Here's some information from BB about EHD setup. I would recommend giving your EHDs specific drive letters so that if you do have to unplug them they aren't given a different one when plugged back in; that would affect BB's ability to back it up.
https://help.backblaze.com/hc/en-us/...bile_site=true

Last edited by Tree City; 02-21-2021 at 12:00 PM.
Old 02-21-2021, 11:55 AM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bienejen View Post
That is the service I used and I was not limited to 1 computer or 1 EHD for that price. But the EHD must be plugged in for it to be backed up and if it is unplugged you have to plug it in within 30 days to keep it backed up.

When it worked for me, it was a good service for the price. But I had too many internet connection issues the last 2 years I had it to continue using it.
Old 02-21-2021, 02:15 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
That is the service I used and I was not limited to 1 computer or 1 EHD for that price. But the EHD must be plugged in for it to be backed up and if it is unplugged you have to plug it in within 30 days to keep it backed up.

When it worked for me, it was a good service for the price. But I had too many internet connection issues the last 2 years I had it to continue using it.
Oh I see how it works. My EHD are never plugged in unless I need a specific file from it. I only keep the minimum photos (one or two years’ worth) and kits on my laptop so I don’t know if that’s the right solution for me.
Old 02-21-2021, 02:23 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
You aren't limited to one. Here's some information from BB about EHD setup. I would recommend giving your EHDs specific drive letters so that if you do have to unplug them they aren't given a different one when plugged back in; that would affect BB's ability to back it up.
That's good to know! Thanks for the link!!
Old 02-21-2021, 02:39 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Ugh, so frustrating..... I have been there several times...

I also have had several EHD and eventually they all fail.... I had no idea they made SSD in EHD.... I will have to keep that in mind for when I need a new one.

I have had Back Blaze for years and it has saved my butt several times... It backs up one computer and ALL drives attached to it. I have my desktop, 4 tb, and two EHD both at 4 tb all backed up with them. They are very easy to deal with. A few years ago, I had on EHD go bad in februarym bought a new one, ordered the back up with BB...then 3 weeks later that brand new drive failed.... WD replaced it no questions asked but I had to order a second back up from BB in less than a month.... and it was still easy.

Guest CT for Kristin Cronin-Barrow

Old 02-21-2021, 04:17 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I take photos for our high school varsity sports and since I shoot in RAW the files to even a single football game are HUGE!!!! I have owned every brand and type of hard drive through the years... they have all failed at one point or another. I too use Backblaze... it is worth it's weight in gold!!!!!! Currently Backblaze backs up my laptop and 6 different external drives. I use their restore service several times a year and have had no issues.

Old 02-22-2021, 03:05 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by StacyLynn View Post
Ugh, so frustrating..... I have been there several times...

I also have had several EHD and eventually they all fail.... I had no idea they made SSD in EHD.... I will have to keep that in mind for when I need a new one.

I have had Back Blaze for years and it has saved my butt several times... It backs up one computer and ALL drives attached to it. I have my desktop, 4 tb, and two EHD both at 4 tb all backed up with them. They are very easy to deal with. A few years ago, I had on EHD go bad in februarym bought a new one, ordered the back up with BB...then 3 weeks later that brand new drive failed.... WD replaced it no questions asked but I had to order a second back up from BB in less than a month.... and it was still easy.
it failed 3 weeks later??! WOW! That's pretty scary if you can't even rely on that stuff.
Old 02-22-2021, 03:11 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyjcaz View Post
I take photos for our high school varsity sports and since I shoot in RAW the files to even a single football game are HUGE!!!! I have owned every brand and type of hard drive through the years... they have all failed at one point or another. I too use Backblaze... it is worth it's weight in gold!!!!!! Currently Backblaze backs up my laptop and 6 different external drives. I use their restore service several times a year and have had no issues.
so great to hear Amy! I think you might have all convinced me!!

I really hope the guy looking at my EHD can get my files back or I'll be soooo sad! I don't have anything saved anywhere else.

My laptop only has one usb plug so I can't back up from one EHD to another. One year after moving I finally pulled out my old desktop and it takes forever to do anything on there but now I could back up the drives. If only I had done it a week ago
Old 02-22-2021, 05:06 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
My laptop only has one usb plug so I can't back up from one EHD to another. One year after moving I finally pulled out my old desktop and it takes forever to do anything on there but now I could back up the drives. If only I had done it a week ago
Perhaps your laptop could use a USB hub, so you could back up one EHD to another? Amazon sells a ton of them. I used one with a laptop I used to have for this exact reason. I have to think they'd be even better/faster/etc than they were back then.
Old 02-22-2021, 06:21 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Perhaps your laptop could use a USB hub, so you could back up one EHD to another? Amazon sells a ton of them. I used one with a laptop I used to have for this exact reason. I have to think they'd be even better/faster/etc than they were back then.
Ditto. USB hubs are very useful on laptops with limited USB ports.
Old 02-22-2021, 09:41 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I didn't even know that existed! I'll take a look. Thank you! That's why it's so important for me to have this community! We all understand each other and can solve each others' problems!! I'm so thankful for you all.

Last edited by Leablahblah; 02-22-2021 at 09:44 PM.
Old 02-22-2021, 10:26 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I didn't even know that existed! I'll take a look. Thank you! That's why it's so important for me to have this community! We all understand each other and can solve each others' problems!! I'm so thankful for you all.
I agree: we all understand each other. The DS community is so helpful! I've learned a lot from many members, and it's always nice when I can help someone else!
Old 02-23-2021, 12:39 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

It's been a few years since I even plugged in a USB hub because I kept finding them not working well and suddenly not recognizing external hard drives. Do they work better these days? Has the technology in them changed in some way? Does someone have a link to where I could solve the "I don't recognize that your external hard drive even exists" problem?

I've had hard drives fail over time too. I try to back up to a 2nd one. For 10 years I've said I should get Backblaze. Maybe it is time? LOL.
Old 02-23-2021, 03:22 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraceyM View Post
It's been a few years since I even plugged in a USB hub because I kept finding them not working well and suddenly not recognizing external hard drives. Do they work better these days? Has the technology in them changed in some way? Does someone have a link to where I could solve the "I don't recognize that your external hard drive even exists" problem?

I've had hard drives fail over time too. I try to back up to a 2nd one. For 10 years I've said I should get Backblaze. Maybe it is time? LOL.
lol I also procrastinate when it comes to backing up and I guess I learned from my mistake. I really need to look into backblaze.

I ordered a usb hub. I'll see how it works. It's inexpensive enough that it could be replaced easily if it fails to work.
Old 02-24-2021, 03:32 AM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

I'm a photographer and trust me....backup is critical. I've had 2 seagates crash on me and I currently have 2 seagates and 10 WD ext hd's. I buy two at a time so they both have the same files on them - they are always completely identical....when I update one, I update the other. I use stickers to identify them, plus I keep a screenshot of all the folders on them and print them out, and put them in a storage case along with the drive. My husband keeps the backup at his office for me, and when I need him to bring one home so I can update it, it's easily identifiable with an id tag that I made and laminated. I purchased protective cases for them on amazon.

BACKBLAZE....I can't recommend them highly enough!
Unlimited storage!! And for only $60/yr.
I currently have about 20 terabytes or so backed up.
It takes weeks or so when you first connect....don't be surprised that it may feel like taking forever to initially backup....because it does take forever.

***Here's the thing about most cloud storage. You must connect your drive(s) to the internet at least once in a 30 day period to have your drive flagged as an active drive. If you don't connect, that drive gets flagged as inactive and you are at risk of all that info being deleted from your backup. What I love about Backblaze is that now....you can connect at least once a year if you purchase that plan. They will still recommend you connect at least once a month or two...but at least it's an option for those who may need it. They yearly plan is still very reasonable at $84/yr. No matter what service you may use for cloud backup....and you have external hd's on that service, double check the specifications to make sure you don't lose anything if you haven't connected in awhile. It's been an unfortunate and sad reality when I've had a few different photo friends find out the hard way they lost backups because they didn't realize they had to connect to the internet periodically. I was prepared when I purchased backblaze. I've been using them for 4 years now and I have absolutely no complaints.

If you need a data recovery service let me know....I can send you a referral that has done excellent recovery for some photog friends that had computer crashes or viruses. ♥

Last edited by angbrey; 02-24-2021 at 03:37 AM.
Old 02-24-2021, 03:41 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I'm taking this thread as a sign from above and I subscribed to Backblaze. I just know that if I don't, something will happen and I'll regret not doing it! lol
Old 02-24-2021, 07:47 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by angbrey View Post
I'm a photographer and trust me....backup is critical. I've had 2 seagates crash on me and I currently have 2 seagates and 10 WD ext hd's. I buy two at a time so they both have the same files on them - they are always completely identical....when I update one, I update the other. I use stickers to identify them, plus I keep a screenshot of all the folders on them and print them out, and put them in a storage case along with the drive. My husband keeps the backup at his office for me, and when I need him to bring one home so I can update it, it's easily identifiable with an id tag that I made and laminated. I purchased protective cases for them on amazon.

BACKBLAZE....I can't recommend them highly enough!
Unlimited storage!! And for only $60/yr.
I currently have about 20 terabytes or so backed up.
It takes weeks or so when you first connect....don't be surprised that it may feel like taking forever to initially backup....because it does take forever.

***Here's the thing about most cloud storage. You must connect your drive(s) to the internet at least once in a 30 day period to have your drive flagged as an active drive. If you don't connect, that drive gets flagged as inactive and you are at risk of all that info being deleted from your backup. What I love about Backblaze is that now....you can connect at least once a year if you purchase that plan. They will still recommend you connect at least once a month or two...but at least it's an option for those who may need it. They yearly plan is still very reasonable at $84/yr. No matter what service you may use for cloud backup....and you have external hd's on that service, double check the specifications to make sure you don't lose anything if you haven't connected in awhile. It's been an unfortunate and sad reality when I've had a few different photo friends find out the hard way they lost backups because they didn't realize they had to connect to the internet periodically. I was prepared when I purchased backblaze. I've been using them for 4 years now and I have absolutely no complaints.

If you need a data recovery service let me know....I can send you a referral that has done excellent recovery for some photog friends that had computer crashes or viruses. ♥
Thank you so much for your testimonial! I’m strongly thinking about it and even might have my husband convinced even though I think I told him about something like that before and he shot the idea down. I do rely on him because I don’t earn any money for the family so I take his opinion into account. But losing it all is devastating so YES!

I also got 2 EHD this time around and am planning to do like you. Make a copy of the EHD everytime.

Nat!! Yay! This is good! That way you will never lose your beautiful designs!
Old 02-24-2021, 07:49 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

This just happened to me a few months ago - I've gone through 3 or 4 EHD's over the years. I bought a Samsung SSD.
As for Backblaze, I've used them for years now, and each time my EHD has gone bad, I request an EHD with all of my files - once it arrives, I move everything from their EHD to my own and send theirs back. Well worth the yearly cost!

Last edited by JillW; 02-24-2021 at 07:52 AM.
Old 02-24-2021, 10:16 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Just wanted to add another vote for Backblaze - they have saved me a couple of times when I've had EHD failures (I too feel like they will fail, all of them - I have had Seagate and WD and both failed eventually).
I currently have a Seagate EHD that's 4T and is really too close to full for my comfort and am thinking soon I'll be adding another EHD. I think I need to look into SSD - I didn't realize EHD were made with them now. That's good to know.
It does take a bit initially to get everything backed up to Backblaze, but once it's there updates don't seem to take too long. I also have a lot of huge raw files that get backed up (I do delete eventually...boy that was hard to learn to do going from photography business to just my stuff but now after a year almost all my raw files are deleted save a few special events). My pictures are also backed up on Google photos (now it's limited for size of files I know, but as it's really the 4th place for me I figure that's fine) and Amazon Photos (they are full size files and its free with prime), so I have all photos now on an EHD, Amazon Photos, Google Photos, and Backblaze. I bet that most digi files could be put on amazon photos (not templates but png files could be)

I hope you are able to get everything recovered - it's the worst when it happens
Old 02-24-2021, 11:26 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Well, I installed Backblaze a little while ago due to this thread. I currently have Carbonite but I'm having some issues with them. Could be my ancient laptop is the problem. Or them.

Does Backblaze put any little icon on each file for you to see which ones have been backed up? Carbonite has a yellow dot that turns green when it's backed up. Or do you have to look through the Backblaze files to verify what's backed up?

Anyone know of a dependable place to recover data off of a sad, broken EHD? I already tried some online, do-it-yourself places. And one local computer repair place. They tried but said they didn't have good enough equipment or something. I'm living in denial about several (4?) years worth of pictures being lost forever. I don't mind (not too much) having lost years worth of scrap kits from my previous scrapping years. But...I want those pictures.
Old 02-24-2021, 12:08 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetChar View Post
Well, I installed Backblaze a little while ago due to this thread. I currently have Carbonite but I'm having some issues with them. Could be my ancient laptop is the problem. Or them.

Does Backblaze put any little icon on each file for you to see which ones have been backed up? Carbonite has a yellow dot that turns green when it's backed up. Or do you have to look through the Backblaze files to verify what's backed up?

Anyone know of a dependable place to recover data off of a sad, broken EHD? I already tried some online, do-it-yourself places. And one local computer repair place. They tried but said they didn't have good enough equipment or something. I'm living in denial about several (4?) years worth of pictures being lost forever. I don't mind (not too much) having lost years worth of scrap kits from my previous scrapping years. But...I want those pictures.

I used Secure Data Recovery after a mechanical failure on my hard drive. It wasn't cheap.
Old 02-24-2021, 12:11 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I used Secure Data Recovery after a mechanical failure on my hard drive. It wasn't cheap.
Did you send your hard drive to them?
Old 02-24-2021, 12:25 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Well, I just filled out their “request help” form. Hope they can get my pictures!

Hope you get yours, too, Lea!
Old 02-24-2021, 01:02 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Did you send your hard drive to them?
Yes. I shipped it to them with a prepaid label from FedEx. It took three weeks for them to send me back my original drive along with a 2TB external with all (most--not really sure what all was on my computer after nine years) of my stuff. I didn't see my fonts, but I got back all my scrap supplies and pictures.
Old 02-24-2021, 01:06 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Yes. I shipped it to them with a prepaid label from FedEx. It took three weeks for them to send me back my original drive along with a 2TB external with all (most--not really sure what all was on my computer after nine years) of my stuff. I didn't see my fonts, but I got back all my scrap supplies and pictures.
They called me fairly quickly and we discussed the details. Have my shipping label and EHD in hand now to go drop off at FedEx in a bit.
Old 02-24-2021, 01:28 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Does Backblaze let you back-up layered photoshop files - aka the kits I design?
Old 02-24-2021, 02:02 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Do you remember how much it cost you?

The guy that's looking at my EHD right now has been able to recover all the folders minus the "scrapbook" folder. He says that's the file system is corrupted, files are corrupt and disk controller is having issues. I don't understand most of that but I hope he's able to recover the stuff
Old 02-24-2021, 02:21 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraceyM View Post
Does Backblaze let you back-up layered photoshop files - aka the kits I design?
Yes. This page has some great info, and it might be helpful to others looking into the service. I was glad to know what wasn't included AND how to speed up my initial backup (I excluded certain file types, basically forcing BB to focus on photos and my DS folder.) ETA: oops, I meant to say that there isn't a file size limit! Tracey, you probably wouldn't want to limit the file size because of your design files, but some people find it is nice to limit file size in order to limit the backup period--like if your internet is throttled/limited or just plain slow.

Old 02-24-2021, 02:26 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
They called me fairly quickly and we discussed the details. Have my shipping label and EHD in hand now to go drop off at FedEx in a bit.
Good luck! I hope you can get back your files.
Old 02-24-2021, 02:28 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Good luck! I hope you can get back your files.
Thanks. He sounded pretty confident. Depending on the quote they give me, after they look at it, I might have to ask them if they can do a payment plan! lol
Old 02-24-2021, 02:30 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Do you remember how much it cost you?

The guy that's looking at my EHD right now has been able to recover all the folders minus the "scrapbook" folder. He says that's the file system is corrupted, files are corrupt and disk controller is having issues. I don't understand most of that but I hope he's able to recover the stuff
Mine was over $900. They looks to see what they can recover for a small price first (if I'm remembering correctly), and you give then the go ahead if you agree. There was a cheaper option of around $600 something where you supplied the external. I haven't had much luck with picking externals, so I paid for their 2TB drive. I did pay $300 for a goof at Staples to tell me that it was a mechanical failure and not do anything about it, so I knew that my files were there. . .the drive just wouldn't spin any more. That's why I didn't have a problem paying the money.