Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 11-20-2013, 03:41 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Default Gifts for the man in your life

I know this topic comes up every year, but what are you guys getting the guy in your life for Christmas this year?

I've already purchased Jeff tickets to a Christian concert, but I want to get him a few more things. I have NO ideas though. It's killing me cause he's already done with my shopping, and he's gotten me a few different things. I always stress myself out about making sure I get the PERFECT gift for someone, so I've got to figure this out.

About his only hobby is a video game he plays online, but there's really nothing related to that game I can get him. He mentioned that he'd like a gaming mouse, but in the next breath, he also said how many there are so he'd want to do some serious research before deciding on one to order.

Help!
Old 11-20-2013, 03:59 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Well, the only "man" in my life is 5, so I'm no help. Unless he wants an angry bird robe

Men are sooooo hard to shop for, I'm so grateful that neither my dad nor brother want to exchange gifts anymore, so its just me, my mom and my sister = easy shopping.
Old 11-20-2013, 03:59 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Coal. all FOUR of my "men" are getting nothin' but coal.
Old 11-20-2013, 04:09 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

haha, Loni!

I know... men are impossible to shop for if they don't have hobbies... I'm in the same boat - my hubby's hobby is radio, all he needs for that is headphones which he already has and gets special ones so that when they break, he can send them in and get them fixed for free...

My hubby is getting food... nuts, jerky, etc... gift cards for kindle books... some kind of geeky gadget I find in a $5 bin at the store... and that is all... if he doesn't give me ideas, he ends up with nada...
Old 11-20-2013, 04:15 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My hubby is SO hard to buy for. The man doesn't NEED anything, and the things he IS interested in, he would prefer to buy himself.

I've done the super hero box for him in the past, and that went down well:

And the love letter book:

And I'm thinking about doing the envelope thing this year. Maybe.

Old 11-20-2013, 04:19 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Since he's a gamer, they make some cool gamer headsets. Those aren't as personal as a mouse. You could buy him credits for his game to buy things if that's possible.

Here are things I buy for Wes: lounge pants, robes, snarky t-shirts (he loves t-shirts), shop tools, computer gadgets (like USB sticks, USB hubs, goop keyboard cleaner, etc), pretty much anything from ThinkGeek, DVD box sets (like the complete James Bond Collection) and/or movies, games, Kindle and Tablet accessories, books, journals, his favorite candy in large form (like a big reese snowman, not the HUGE cup).

One year I commissioned an artist to make his likeness into an animated character and made a 12x12 print using it and other scrap supplies. To this day, I think that's his favorite gift ever. I even gave him a comic book name.

We're total nerds.
Old 11-20-2013, 04:32 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I second Jenn on thinkgeek for neat little gadgets. I love that site for grabbing some cool little gadgets for dh But I always do get stuvk on that one perfect gift.
Old 11-20-2013, 04:34 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thanks to Jacinda's awesome pinboard and the suggestions of ladies here, I've planned out my Mr.

I'm giving him 12 preplanned dates, one a month. We've talked about being more intentional about DATING, just the two of us, because since we've been together, we literally went on one date just the two of us, and we've had some time together just the two of us here and there, but most of the time my little guy is with us... so we've had very sporadic one-on-one time.

The dates will be simple, and affordable. The rules will be outlined that each of the 12 dates I'm giving him is my treat, so no arguments (we're not combining finances until later, so for now, it's separate), and that the end result doesn't matter as long as we have a blast doing it.

Some of the dates I've already planned for:
-Going to the hardware store and getting supplies to build marshmallow shooters, building them together, and then having an all out war, finishing up with S'mores for dessert.
-A fondue night. I collect fondue pots and he's expressed interest in my hobby, so one night we're going to sit down with fondue and a book filled with tons of questions to ask your partner and just talk, eat, and feed each other. Yum
-An "art" night. Neither of us are great artists, so I'm picking up canvases, paint, brushes, maybe some clay, and we're going to give it our best shot at painting and sculpting each other... knowing the results will probably be VERY laughable.
-Visiting a local farmer's market and purchasing fresh items, then coming home and making a meal together with our fresh goods.

I have one for each month, and each one is designed to stretch us out of our comfort zone. He always comes over Wednesday before school, and we always spend all day Saturday at my parents' house-- cooking in their (larger than either of our) kitchen for me to bake for my blog, doing some projects together, then eating dinner with my whole family, and we go to church together every Sunday. Anytime he isn't working or at school, or that I'm not working and Zach isn't sleeping, he's here. So it isn't that we have a lack of time together. It's more a lack of one-on-one time, and we seem to fall into a rut sometimes... so, this will help us break out of that rut and be intentional about trying some new things together. Plus, none of the dates should cost more than $20-$30, so it'll be well within my budget.

New Siggy Coming Soon
Old 11-20-2013, 04:47 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lingovise View Post
Coal. all FOUR of my "men" are getting nothin' but coal.
my husband works at a coal mine. come visit! we can send some coal back on the plane instead of you
Old 11-20-2013, 04:50 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I honestly just want to get my DH a Maxim Subscription, DunkinDonuts:Mug for coffee, New gloves and hats b/c he's a driver and needs that stuff..

Old 11-20-2013, 04:52 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

These are great suggestions! I've already got a few ideas spinning around in my head. Thanks girls!
Old 11-20-2013, 04:52 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

DH is a beer snob, so he is getting glassware from his favorite brewery. I get him LL Bean flannel lined jeans every year. Other than though, I'm hoping I can convince him to make out a "Santa" wish list!
Old 11-20-2013, 05:25 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacinda View Post
My hubby is SO hard to buy for. The man doesn't NEED anything, and the things he IS interested in, he would prefer to buy himself.
DH and I are both like that, wanting to buy for ourselves. We deal with it by getting each other very small holiday gifts, since we're concentrating on buying for the kids then anyway. The things we really want, which are usually electronics, we just give each other permission to buy throughout the year or at birthdays. I can't tell you how many times DH's birthday gift has been a little gift card I scrapped telling him to buy himself the new tv/video game system/BBQ tools/etc I know he wants. Not romantic, I know, but it works for us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libby Pritchett View Post
He mentioned that he'd like a gaming mouse, but in the next breath, he also said how many there are so he'd want to do some serious research before deciding on one to order.
Do you really want the gift to be on hand for him to unwrap? If not, if you know what he really wants is the mouse you could make a little gift card IOU for it to tell him you'll buy him the one of his choice once he decides.

I have no idea what DH is getting this year. It does't help that his birthday is in Jan so I have to come up with ideas for both occasions so close together. At least I know what he wants for his birthday (and yes, he wants to pick it out himself). My DH and I both like presents to be fun, so we try to stay away from practical things like clothes. If we can't come up with anything else, his go-to small holiday gift for me is a gift card for scrapping stuff or Kindle books and mine for him is a gift card for books or ipad apps. I'm trying to come up with something else for him this year, but I don't know what...

Last edited by rach3975; 11-20-2013 at 05:36 PM.
Old 11-20-2013, 05:36 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

This is why we do Christmas lists. Then it's on him to figure out what he wants and not me. He does need a new suitcase now that he's traveling more for work but he didn't seem too excited when I said that could be his Christmas gift this year, haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach3975 View Post
Do you really want the gift to be on hand for him to unwrap? If not, if you know what he really wants is the mouse you could make a little gift card IOU for it to tell him you'll buy him the one of his choice once he decides.
I've done this before too. I don't find it as exciting for them to open up a piece of paper, haha, but it is a nice way to let them choose what they want without spoiling the surprise.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:54 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

i'm getting mine a digital frame w/ pics of the kids in it … and some chocolate … our anniversary is in january - so i'll be getting him some clothes for that, plus a few little tech goodies.

creating for:
the lilypad / sahlin studio
Old 11-20-2013, 08:24 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My husband is getting a Griswold Family Christmas shirt (because he loves that movie and I loathe it). I will probably also let him buy a 60" or bigger TV because he is dying for one and has been asking for about 5 years... we've had our current big screen for 6 years. If he gets that, he's done.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:55 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

My dh keeps an Amazon list. It's awesome! Plus I know there's a few video games he wants. I usually try to do a homemade gift too. I love the date idea above! I'd pinned something similar, but I love the idea of out of our comfort zone.

I'll probably add some movie tickets too.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:13 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I am not getting these for him, but I told my mom to get him tickets to a bball game at his college (so he can take his son, too) & my MIL to get him a Nexus 7 tablet (and forego getting me a present this year).

They did ask what he wanted, so I did not command them to do so.

I am going to get him this (and a couple of other small things) b/c his favorite GF snack is salami and cheese & a glass of wine:
http://supermarkethq.com/product/puzzleboard
Old 11-20-2013, 11:14 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettio View Post
I've done this before too. I don't find it as exciting for them to open up a piece of paper, haha, but it is a nice way to let them choose what they want without spoiling the surprise.
When we do things like this, a lot of times we'll wrap the piece of paper really creatively, difficultly, or send them on a hunt. We've wrapped small boxes in a full roll of duct tape, sent people on a treasure hunt, whatever. My German brother once gave me a piece of paper gift by wrapping it in a box filled with REALLY tiny pieces of shredded paper (he shredded it, then cut the shreds into confetti-sized bits) and pennies. Which meant that, in order to take the pennies in to get them switched for money, I had to pick out each of those teensy bits of paper (or they'd jam the machine). It ended up being a hilarious and HEAVY present, all for that piece of paper. :P WAY fun to open.

New Siggy Coming Soon
Old 11-21-2013, 12:05 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I, too, have no man in my life. Christmas presents are so much harder for men though. Lucky for me this year, my brother and I switched I bought everything for our step-mom and he will buy everything for our dad and we just give it from the both of us. Feeling pretty happy about that one.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:59 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

Tools or key set from Home Depot is what my husband is getting this year. He could spend hours at Home Depot looking through different tools and gadgets.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:47 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Um for my soon to be ex husband I got him a game that I know he wants. No idea on what I'm getting my boyfriend.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:07 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

all that comes to my mind is a self designed mug. lol

my sweetie and i are all about perfumes. well that is one of the passions we share. and we will go to a GOOD shop to find out what he wants.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:12 PM
Owner & Candy Keeper

profile gallery send pm

Rocky and I never exchange gifts, it just isn't our thing because we kinda buy what we want when we want it together type of thing, but he's always wanted to learn how to fly, so I'm buying him a gift certificate for a flying lesson this year as a surprise.

R
Old 11-22-2013, 12:26 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I think I'm going to get my husband a personalized money clip from James Avery.

Our anniversary is the 23rd and I'm planning on getting him tickets for a dinner cruise around these really awesome cliffs in Hawaii while we are there in January.

Men are so hard to shop for.
Old 11-22-2013, 01:22 AM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

I've bought my dh a hammock made out of parachute material, that is light-weight enough for him to take when he goes hiking. I will probably also get him some Keurig cups, since for his birthday I got him a Keurig (and it was THE BEST gift I ever got him, according to him).
Old 11-23-2013, 02:47 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Skype™ to DeepGirl

My husband will get some fancy shirts (non-iron - a bit of gift for me, too), some LEGO (yesss), a very very dark handmade chocolate... and a hand-made (by Silhouette) Star Trek T-shirt.

Baby man will get something that looks like mobile phone / remote controller with a lot of buttons that make sounds and light ...and some LEGO Duplo with pretty figures, too.

Old 11-30-2013, 02:16 AM
Sugar Baby

profile gallery

Since he's a WoW player, I bought him some WoW gold on(something like game credit)www.live4mmo.com
well, he said that's the best gift I've sent..
Old 11-30-2013, 01:44 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
haha, Loni!

I know... men are impossible to shop for if they don't have hobbies... I'm in the same boat - my hubby's hobby is radio, all he needs for that is headphones which he already has and gets special ones so that when they break, he can send them in and get them fixed for free...

My hubby is getting food... nuts, jerky, etc... gift cards for kindle books... some kind of geeky gadget I find in a $5 bin at the store... and that is all... if he doesn't give me ideas, he ends up with nada...
My hubby is not a hobby guy AND he's on a diet so UGH, I have no idea what to get him this year. The only thing I've come up with is the boxed set of Breaking Bad since I know he wants to watch it and for some reason he refuses to use Netflix.
Old 11-30-2013, 05:07 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

This year we're spoiling each other.

I got Sean a PS4, 3 games, a couple books, Star Wars hoodie & mustache pilsner glasses.
Old 11-30-2013, 05:25 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

DH is impossible to shop for! He wants a keyboard for his Surface Pro, but I really don't $140 spare bucks to blow on that! I need to find a Plan B.
Old 12-01-2013, 12:46 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Thanks for all the great suggestions! I ended up getting him the concert tickets, a gaming keyboard (if he doesn't like it, we'll return it, but I think it's pretty killer), a breaking bad t-shirt, and I'm going to get him a new wallet as well. I'll get him some of his favorite candy and some geeky techy stuff for his stocking.

Thanks for all the ideas!