Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 03-02-2020, 02:25 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm
Default Planning Pages

Do you have a planning routine or system that you use to plan your pages? I have years of pictures to choose from when creating but sometimes get overwhelmed when trying to figure out what kits to use. I buy new release kits often to get the FWP but they often don’t match anything I would need to scrap, just like the kits! Maybe I should utilize the wish list instead? Any insight you’d be willing to offer would be appreciated. I’m sure I’ll get some ideas! Thank you in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-02-2020, 02:47 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm having a bit of a scrapping block right now. I had a very stressful weekend at work, getting stuck working an extra two hours because my relief never showed and now today I feel like my brain is fried from having to deal with all of that....(healthcare, UGH!)so I totally understand the overwhelming feeling. I wanted to get started on the March passport today, but my brain is on hiatus!

ANyway, I use pinterest ALL THE TIME to organize my scrap stash which helps me see what kits I have and what kits I would like to buy at a glance. Sometimes I make notes on the pins to remember what I wanted them for...but now pinterest is not working for me so there is another problem....

Recently, I have been going through my download folders for each store and I see kits I forgot I had which remind of things I haven't scrapped.

I don't really scrap chronologically, just what works with CT kits I have to use or what works for a challenge. I'm sure I've used some pictures over and over and others not at all. ANother thing I do, is upload my pages to shutterfly. You could potentially upload a preview of the kit and put it in an album with the photos you want to scrap with....

Of course, I sometimes prefer the good old pencil and paper method, LOL, and just makes lists!
Old 03-02-2020, 03:40 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I have a folder called "To Be Used" with all of the kits I need to use & a folder called "To Be Scrapped" with all the photos I need to scrap.

I have a handful of photos to scrap from 2018 and about half of 2019. Everything else (except 2020, of course) has been scrapped.
Old 03-02-2020, 06:14 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Nope, no planning at all. I have all the intentions in the world to do certain pages, but in the end I fly by the seat of my pants and go where inspiration takes me.
Old 03-02-2020, 07:07 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

It sounds like part of your problem is buying kits without a plan for how to use them. I wishlist kits that I like but am not ready to use. If I buy, it means I have photos to go with the kit and a reasonable expectation of scrapping those photos in the next month or two. If not, then I wishlist. (Doesn't mean you have to shop any less, just buy kits that work better with your photos!)

Like LeeAndra, I have a To Be Scrapped folder. Within that folder, I have subfolders for each photo book I plan to do, like July to December 2018 and Disney 2019. Then there are subfolders under that for each page. I store the photos and journaling there, and if I know what kit I want to use I store a copy of its preview with the photos as well. That also works if I don't own the kit, I just make sure to add a note reminding myself that I don't. Before I shop I look through my To Be Scrapped folder to see what kind of kits I need.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 03-02-2020, 07:27 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

When I'm on top of it - aka I have time - I go through my photos and group photos into folders... then I label it with a theme key word, date of photos, what photos are of, and then the number of photos... so when I have a kit with that theme or a template with the number of photos, I go to that folder of folders and grab what matches.

Example:

DANCE_2018-3-12 Recital hip hop_10
Old 03-02-2020, 07:32 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I don't know if this is the "help" you are looking for. I like to write things down (but you could do it on the computer too). When I purchase (or receive or am gifted) a new kit, I write the designer and title on a piece of paper (it's become 3 papers both sides right now). Next to that info, I make a note of ideas I can use that kit for. Sometimes, I don't quite have photos in mind that will go with it, but I will make a note. Awards, hot air balloons, beach, fireworks, horses. Then I have an idea of what I thought I could use that kit for, even if I can't think of photos to go along with it off the top of my head. Whenever I look back through the many years of photos, usually searching for something specific, I will find photos I forgot about. If I know they will go with one of those new kits, I will write more notes and the dates next to the kit so I know what to match up when I'm ready to scrap it.
Old 03-02-2020, 07:33 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I like Lynn's idea of using Pinterest to organize kits she owns! That's a really clever idea.

I do what LeeAndra suggested and have a To Be Scrapped folder and an Unused Kits folder. I am working on an album for our time in the States in 2018, and inside the 2018 America folder are all of my layouts and then monthly folders with subfolders for the events/moments I want to scrap.
Old 03-02-2020, 08:51 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach3975 View Post
It sounds like part of your problem is buying kits without a plan for how to use them. I wishlist kits that I like but am not ready to use. If I buy, it means I have photos to go with the kit and a reasonable expectation of scrapping those photos in the next month or two. If not, then I wishlist. (Doesn't mean you have to shop any less, just buy kits that work better with your photos!)
This is what I do. If I buy it, it's because I know I'm going to use it. Otherwise it goes to the wishlist . . . sadly. I wish I could have all the kits

As far as organization, once they are downloaded--that's whole different story. I scrap what I can, when I can on top of my designer's releasing their products. On the slower months, I go through and focus on what I've never used before. But other than that, i have no planning....I just go wherever the wind blows.
Old 03-02-2020, 09:07 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Pinterest for kits/templates! We could even do different boards for different themes etc....
Old 03-02-2020, 09:10 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

These are all very good ideas! Yes, my problem is buying kits without a plan on mind. I do currently have a To Be Scrapped folder... organized by year and then my month. If there is a specific holiday, I make a file for that too. I do like the idea of saving a preview in the folder if it was purchased for those pictures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-02-2020, 11:50 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

LOL! Like Jacinda, I don't really plan!
Old 03-02-2020, 11:51 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by icindi View Post
Pinterest for kits/templates! We could even do different boards for different themes etc....
I like that idea, Cindi!!
Old 03-03-2020, 07:00 AM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

You guys have so much organization that goes into your layouts! I'm definitely more like this

I had a general list of photos I wanted to scrapbook, and I downloaded them into a file (with no organization whatsoever, lol) but then I just mostly use the Passport ideas to help me decide what to scrap. It seems to work out that I have photos from something to match the challenge, or gives me inspiration to scrap it a certain way. I'm scrapping from 2013 to now, so I've got a lot to choose from 😂
Old 03-03-2020, 11:32 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I used to go month by month. I would scrap the monthly challenges and CT layouts with my photos from February for example. I download photos from my phone to my laptop each end of the month.
But since I've had baby #3 I've been struggling to stay on top. I'm still scrapping photos from May of last year.
Old 03-03-2020, 12:04 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacinda View Post
Nope, no planning at all. I have all the intentions in the world to do certain pages, but in the end I fly by the seat of my pants and go where inspiration takes me.
this.......
Old 03-03-2020, 03:01 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I have an old Blog Post about how I plan my pages.

But yes, I tag everything in Acdsee. By Year, Month, Event and then I try to tag the kit I want to use with it as well, for a couple reasons, one I don't forget about the kit. Or two, if I do one page, and don't do the second one right away, I can remember what kit I used before.
https://www.sweetshoppedesigns.com/i...be-sunday-712/
Old 03-03-2020, 03:36 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I tag each kit with a few key words such as colour, "love", "sad", "goals" and so on. Then when I have a picture to scrap I search the fitting tags and see what shows up. I also have a folder for the kits I use all the time, and a folder for the others.
Old 03-03-2020, 04:12 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3BluEyedBabi View Post
I don't really scrap chronologically, just what works with CT kits I have to use or what works for a challenge. I'm sure I've used some pictures over and over and others not at all. . . . Of course, I sometimes prefer the good old pencil and paper method, LOL, and just makes lists!
This is pretty much me! I don't really plan pages. I just scrap out of "convenience," like CT work and challenges. About a week or so ago, I thought I should start organizing my kits again, mainly by themes, because I'm either starting to forget what I have and/or I'm trying to find a kit or kits that I KNOW I have and can't find them, and that makes me not scrap those particular photos until I find what I'm looking for. Ugh.

Kudos to y'all that are fairly caught up. I don't have ANY year completed since my 20-year old son was born.
Old 03-03-2020, 04:13 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
When I'm on top of it - aka I have time - I go through my photos and group photos into folders... then I label it with a theme key word, date of photos, what photos are of, and then the number of photos... so when I have a kit with that theme or a template with the number of photos, I go to that folder of folders and grab what matches.

Example:

DANCE_2018-3-12 Recital hip hop_10
I think this is a great idea especially because it identifies the number of photos that need to be scrapped, and I think I will organize photos that way; I've never organized my photos.
Old 03-03-2020, 04:24 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I don't mind browsing photos. I will tag the ones I know I'll want to scrap with soon, in LR. Or if they are edited, I will plunk them into a folder on the computer.

I have a lot of phone pics to scrap with and I store those in dropbox, so its easy enough to scroll thru and select which ones to download, which is nice b/c I can do this on any computer, anywhere.

I like the randomness of looking thru photos for a kit b/c often times I will choose a photo that I might not have originally thought of for that theme/idea KWIM?

So, I'm a total "wing it" kind of person
Old 03-03-2020, 04:28 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

No plan whatsoever, unless it’s CT. If purchased it just gets grabbed when the right photos show up or the mood hits me.