Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 04-23-2020, 11:53 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm
Default Am I crazy?

I think the isolation thing really is getting to me...

All this week I've been hiding in my spare room/craft room/office to escape from the hubby that has been working on the kitchen table and the 20 something daughters that have been home (one is a teacher on school holidays and the other a restaurant worker who returned to work yesterday). I've achieved lots of digiscrapping and have finished my passport for the month. While I was scrapping I've had my scanner going non-stop scanning old negatives (a very slow process indeed).

Now the bit that makes me think I'm going mad is that I have this sudden desire to recreate a lot of the physical scrapbook layouts I did years ago (up to 20 years ago I am guessing!) The old albums take up so much space, nobody ever gets them out because they are so bulky and a lot of the sticky bits have fallen off with time.

Has anyone else gone back and redone old layouts? If not are you tempted to redo either physical or digital layouts?

Old 04-24-2020, 12:29 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Oh goodness, I'm doing the same thing. I haven't decided if I'm redoing them entirely new or just keeping them as is but scanned and into a photo book. They take up so much space and aren't easy to handle. Also have been scanning and digitally organizing all the paperwork I can - because I'm sure I'm losing it and we are moving this summer so figured not a bad time to lighten the paper load.
Old 04-24-2020, 12:45 AM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

Digitizing all the paperwork is a great idea and when you are preparing for a move it would be the perfect time to do it! I had thought of scanning the layouts but I don't know how the quality of the scan would be. I used to scan them to send to magazines but they always photographed them professionally. I think I might pull some of them out this afternoon and see how I feel then. If I redo them it will only be the important ones.

Old 04-24-2020, 02:41 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

No, that's not crazy at all!! Through the years I have taken apart my paper scrapbooks and done them digitally!!

That's awesome that you completed your passport already!! Congratulations!!!
Old 04-24-2020, 05:07 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

No, you so not crazy ! I think it's normal to get me-time and with social distancing, you might just need it a bit more than usual. I can't escape my family since my hobby-room is my dingingroom table. LOL I do have to say that my husband works in his office (we have a space for that in our attic) and my son is usually in his own room (online school) so I'm alone most part of the day (which is fine by me).

I haven't gone back and redone old layouts in a while (my old layouts are all digital btw). I pretty much never do that (maybe sometimes for a challenge) because I just think that that was my style at the moment and the sentiments behind creating my old layouts are the same as they are now so no need to redo them but I do re-use photos from older layouts (does that count as redo ??).
Old 04-24-2020, 05:57 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I looooooove redoing old pages, or at least revisiting old photos and making a new page that reflects my current style and maybe brings those images into my current mindset. I have always take tons of photos, but I didn't always make tons of pages, especially in my paper days, so there are many photos I never scrapped at all. It's fun to go back and work with those photos now, especially while we've been home and our photo-taking is limited to what is blooming outside, what I made for dinner, and how many grumpy faces my almost 13-year-old made that day! I think you should at least look through them and see if anything strikes your interest for a remake! Good job getting all that scrapping done!

Old 04-24-2020, 02:40 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Congrats on finishing your Passport! That's fantastic!

I don't think you're crazy at all. I have thought about re-doing my old paper scrapbooks!! I talked to my kids (all adults now) about it, and they asked if they could keep the paper ones, too. LOL! Kind of defeats the purpose, but if they want to lug the old ones around, that's fine.
Old 04-24-2020, 07:19 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

Thanks ladies, it is so interesting to hear everyone’s different opinions and experiences. I did have a play with one old page yesterday and I love the way it turned out. I think I will just take it one at a time and redo any that are either falling apart or that I really want to redo for whatever reason. I have so many paper albums it is insane but like I said, nobody ever looks at them so I’d love to have them printed in smaller photo books. I would love to see some that other people have redone... it can be tricky using older photos!

Old 04-24-2020, 08:43 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I think it sounds like a GREAT project!

The only layouts I've ever redone are my firstborn's first year album because I discovered digital scrapbooking when I was pregnant with him, so I was still finding my style PLUS it was 2005, so quality isn't quite what it is today. But I LOVE the new album I made, and I have no regrets.
Old 04-25-2020, 01:14 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I started digiscrapping early on (2004), so between my skill level then and the state of the industry my oldest layouts are a little cringeworthy. But would I honestly ever go back and redo them? Doubtful. I have so many newer photos and memories that aren't scrapped yet; the idea of taking time away from newer scrapping to re-do old pages kind of stresses me out. Maybe if I were caught up I'd consider it, but I don't think I'll ever catch up. I make my peace with the cringeworthy pages by telling myself that they're a fun record of my scrapping past and show how far I've come!
Old 04-25-2020, 04:15 AM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

That is how I've always thought Rachel but just now I've realised how some of the really old ones have lost their sticky bits (especially alphas). I'll never redo everything but I have been playing around today with my son's first year album (he is 25 this year) and it has been fun. I have a lot of photos that I haven't scrapped yet but now that my kids are older I don't take so many these days so at least I don't feel like I'm falling further behind.

Old 04-25-2020, 11:49 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimGeling View Post
That is how I've always thought Rachel but just now I've realised how some of the really old ones have lost their sticky bits (especially alphas). I'll never redo everything but I have been playing around today with my son's first year album (he is 25 this year) and it has been fun. I have a lot of photos that I haven't scrapped yet but now that my kids are older I don't take so many these days so at least I don't feel like I'm falling further behind.
I think that's your answer--you're having fun doing it, so do it! My kids are still tweens and teens living at home. Even though I take fewer photos these days since they don't like being photographed, that's "fewer" compared to me 10 years ago, not compared to a non-scrapper! Who knows how I'll feel when they're adults and I take even fewer photos.
Old 04-25-2020, 05:47 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We just moved to a new house which has an office with tons of shelves. That is great, except, my 12 x 12 albums are too long to fit on them. I have so many of them and they are so bulky and hard to store! I've long been an advocate of the 3 ring binder albums because I don't scrap in order. However, after realizing how hard these 3 ring binders are to store, and moving them 3 or 4 times to make them look decent on the shelves, I think I'm going to switch to doing photo books. So, I don't think I will ever go back and redo the pages, but it does make me want to switch over to photo books so they aren't so hard to store.

Old 04-25-2020, 09:58 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

At least finishing your passport is a positive! I didn't even start in April. I can't focus at all on scrapping. I might lose my mind.
Old 04-26-2020, 08:44 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Maybe down the road I may do this, but right now I am so behind on just digital photos being scrapped digitally...I would love to be more caught up on those before tackling a large project.

I do think it would be nice though! Some of my paper layouts aren't my favorite. But also, to scan in all those photos would take a long time! Our scanner isn't the greatest. I'm thinking next year we purchase a new printer, maybe a negative scanner thing too. If that can happen, I'm one step closer!

Good luck on this project! Can't wait to hear how it is going!
Old 04-26-2020, 09:35 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

So this weekend, my husband found all the "loose" photos and photo books he can find. We have yearly family albums the past probably 8 years, before that it was a mix of when and how big the books were (some years are split between 2-3 books because that was all that could be fitted). So I'm in the process of scanning them all (which seems like a huge task but it's getting there) and then we will tackle organizing them into just a few books. I'm glad he is excited to have them easier to look at and the kids too. College was all paper and we have kept them in a box through 5 moves - that makes me sad, reminding myself the work will be worth it when we enjoy looking through them.
I am not redoing the layouts (though some really really make me cringe) but a lot of the smaller books I'm combing 2-4 pages on one 12x12 page. That seems to be working okay - it won't be the fanciest but it will allow them to be enjoyed. Scanning everything at 1200 dpi so hopefully it all prints well.
Old 04-28-2020, 04:40 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm definitely not tempted to redo old paper layouts but I am from time to time tempted to scan/photograph them and get the printed into books to save space. So far, I haven't done but it's on my "someday" list.

I did have a whole slew of photo prints scanned a few years ago (I think the company was called ScanMyPhotos). I have been working on getting them printed in Shutterfly books -- it takes up SOOOOO much less room than old bulky photo albums.

Last edited by DawnMarch; 04-28-2020 at 04:42 PM.
Old 04-29-2020, 04:32 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I don't think I would redo, but I also have thought of scanning and doing photo books to save space. I have like 50 big thick Creative Memories albums that take up the shelf space in the whole office! I'd love to reduce them down to slim photo books. Like others, time is the enemy, but I think that could be a retirement project for me ! You are definitely not crazy!