Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2011, 09:09 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default my rings

My wedding rings are family heirlooms passed down from my Great Aunt to my mother. They are from 1937 - really cool. Anyhow, my ring guard broke. The engagement ring is really way to big and the band has lost a couple diamonds over the years (really small miner's diamonds). Yesterday, I dropped them off at the jewelers to get an estimate for repairs. It's going to be expensive as the engagement ring is too thin to resize and it's platinum. The platinum shank alone is $774!!!! YIKES! I'm not sure we are going to be able to swing it.

The thing that is driving me crazy is not having my rings on my finger. I can't stand it! Such a weird feeling. I need to find a ring to wear when I get home tonight!
Old 07-06-2011, 09:11 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Wowee Celeste! That's crazy. I hope that you are able to get them fixed. I take my rings off on occasion, usually when I baking or the heat has made my fingers swell, and it feels so weird not having them on.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:14 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Really cool, indeed (except for the yikes! part!)...

I wonder if you have your rings scheduled separately on your homeowner's insurance... and if you might be able to file a claim for the broken ring guard and the lost diamonds? I remember thinking how good our coverage sounded (even covering such things as accidental loss, for example) when we added my rings (which aren't heirlooms) to our policy years ago. Just a thought!
Old 07-06-2011, 09:20 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Eek that's a lot

My friend lost a diamond out of her engagement ring and cost her £350 to get it replaced but luckily her home insurance covered most of it, if not all, I can't remember exactly now.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:56 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

my mom just gave me my grandmother's weddign band and it is a family heirloom that is platnium and has 5 small diamonds in it. My grandparents got married in 1945 and it is super thin and right now I am wearing it everyday and I dread the day I have to get it fixed cause I know platnium is so expensive...so I can totally relate....and I don't take my rings off at all....only took them off in Kuwait when it was really hot and my fingers were swollen....sorry it is gonna cost so much
Old 07-06-2011, 12:59 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Sorry your rings aren't fitting for you right now

I am the same way about rings on my finger-- I ALWAYS have one on. Well, when they were testing me for pre-ecclampsia the first time, the doctor told me I had to remove all rings, because my fingers could swell unexpectedly at any moment. It bugged me to NO end not to have a ring on! It still bugs me and every once in awhile I'll go to spin my ring or mess with my ring and it's GONE! Ugh.

New Siggy Coming Soon
Old 07-06-2011, 02:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

how wonderful to have such heirlooms -but boo on the price to get them repaired!

last summer i spent 5 weeks at a lakehouse, and i was really nervous about wearing my real wedding ring in the water, on boats, etc since i knew we would be really active and i could end up losing a diamond or even the ring itself. so - i went to a department store and bought a fake ring for $45 or something - and now i still wear it a LOT! LOL! and no one knows it's fake - haha - i get complements on it ALL.THE.TIME - i always confess it's fake though

creating for:
the lilypad / sahlin studio
Old 07-06-2011, 03:00 PM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

Dang, that sucks Celeste! That's a lot of money, for sure!

I take my engagement ring off as soon as I get home every night. I always have. The wedding band stays on 24/7 though, and the handful of times I've had to remove it for whatever reason, it's totally bothered me that it wasn't there.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:06 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Yikes - that's a lot! Sure hope you can work something out . . . I totally understand the naked feeling of being without your rings - the only time I take mine off is to play tennis or golf, or sometimes when I'm gardening.

My Blog: Quantum Leaps
Old 07-06-2011, 03:48 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I am not a jewelry type person (with the exception of watches and bracelets)...my husband bought me a wedding ring 20 years after we got engaged LOL. Id wear it when we went out but it was never comfortable. So I dont wear mine often. I guess if it was something you were used to though it would feel weird it being gone. Sucks it costs so much to repair but a new ring would likely set you back a whole lot more

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 07-06-2011, 04:31 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

it's funny when i get home i take off my ring and my watch. i'm wondering if i took off my watch if it wouldn't feel as weird!
Old 07-06-2011, 04:56 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

this is bad but I can go days w/out wearing my wedding rings..i usually don't wear them at home so if I'm not getting ready to go out or anything I don't have them on.

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 07-06-2011, 08:48 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I started getting into the habit of wearing my engagement ring along with my wedding ring when I started working from home. Before when I'd commute I'd keep my engagement ring (it has three large diamonds) in a small pouch in my purse because I didn't wanna draw too much attention to it. I occasionally remove them though just so I can flex and rub the space they occupy on my finger (because my fingers have gotten a wee bit fatter lol). But I totally relate to feeling weird without them on. I even have a pale indentation on my finger.

So sorry about the cost, Celeste! I had no idea platinum was THAT expensive!
Old 07-06-2011, 08:57 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

soooo expensive Celeste!!! I'm in a similar situation... now that I'm a healthy weight my rings literally just fall off... I literally have my left hand semi clutched all the time. The other day I lost my wedding band while gardening and had a major heart attack... my rings are platinum and I was shocked at how expensive and how difficult they are to have fixed... the last jeweler I went to said that she could put some tiny gold balls along the inside to help them fit better... and I could only afford to do it on the engagement ring so I would always have to wear my engagement ring along with my wedding ring to keep them on... sigh...

and yeah... I literally have a heart attack while I'm out running or taking a shower because I forget that I take them off... and I'm always thinking I lost them somewhere along the run or down the drain... feels so weird to be w/o them.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:01 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Ugh, that sucks. I took off my rings nearly 2 years ago when my husband and I split up, I admit that I still feel for them sometimes. How weird is that?
Old 07-06-2011, 09:39 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I know the feeling ... I somehow bent my diamond on my wedding ring forward. So I am now scared to wear it. Haven't even taken it in to price yet. I felt so naked without my ring I went to Walmart and bought a cheapy ring.

Meghan ... I don't wear my ring at home either! Just when I leave the house. No wonder we "get along" so well!!
Old 07-06-2011, 11:34 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

platinum is crazy expensive /: i love vintage and heirloom pieces, though.

i hope you can work something out. i don't have wedding rings, but i wear a ring on each ring finger 24/7. and i feel totally naked without rings.