Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 04-23-2020, 02:19 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Default Quarantine Birthday

This Sunday is my daughter's Sweet Sixteen. We were supposed to have a sleepover birthday party, but you all know that's been cancelled.

I've asked my daughter what she wants to do instead and she just doesn't know. I know I have to take photos of her and want to do something to document turning 16 during the pandemic. But I'm out of ideas for photographing this special birthday.

What suggestions do you all have for a teenager celebrating a birthday during this time?

Last edited by Neverland Scraps; 04-23-2020 at 04:55 PM.
Old 04-23-2020, 02:40 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

You could do a driveby/bday parade with all her friends that were supposed to come to the party? Surprise her with that?

We let my son (also had a quarantine bday) chose all the meals for the day & ordered his choice of takeout for dinner. I made cupcakes & he still got to blow out candles when we sang. Just simpler than usual!
Old 04-23-2020, 02:54 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I wish I had a good idea for you. The birthday parade idea is fun, but I don't think you know enough people for that.
What about a scavenger hunt at home?
Old 04-23-2020, 04:52 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmieN1 View Post
You could do a driveby/bday parade with all her friends that were supposed to come to the party? Surprise her with that?

We let my son (also had a quarantine bday) chose all the meals for the day & ordered his choice of takeout for dinner. I made cupcakes & he still got to blow out candles when we sang. Just simpler than usual!
I had already reached out to the parents of the girls spending the night and none of them have gotten back to me about doing that. I reached out earlier this week. They read my texts, but don't respond. They don't answer my calls. It's frustrating!

One thing that I am going to do is make a post on our neighborhood's FB group asking the kids/families to swing by and chalk something on the sidewalk/road for my daughter to see. I think she'll really enjoy that since she's crafty! I just have to make sure the kids don't run off with my chalk since that's something you can't find in the stores right now!

Usually for the kids birthday, we celebrate as a family. My daughter has never been around other kids, to know them well enough, to have a birthday party. But this year, she's made a couple really good friends and we figured it was time to have a party. It probably would have been her second, maybe third real birthday party she's ever had in her life.
Old 04-23-2020, 04:55 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftytam View Post
I wish I had a good idea for you. The birthday parade idea is fun, but I don't think you know enough people for that.
What about a scavenger hunt at home?
Your package has already boosted her spirits! She can't wait to see what's inside the package!

Outside of the 3 girls that were coming to her birthday party, you are right. We don't know very many people who would be willing to go out and have a birthday parade for her That's one of the downfalls of constantly moving

I like that idea of a scavenger hunt. Maybe I'll make her do that for her birthday presents to shake up how we normally do her birthday! :wubL=:
Old 04-23-2020, 10:03 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Such a bummer that she has good friends and can't have her party. Maybe reschedule it when people can gather again.

We put signs in my friend's yard when she turned 50 last week.

My son turned 21 today. He chose spaghetti and meatballs , garlic bread for dinner and ice cream cake. It was just us, but it is what it is.
Old 04-23-2020, 10:38 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverland Scraps View Post
I had already reached out to the parents of the girls spending the night and none of them have gotten back to me about doing that. I reached out earlier this week. They read my texts, but don't respond. They don't answer my calls. It's frustrating!

One thing that I am going to do is make a post on our neighborhood's FB group asking the kids/families to swing by and chalk something on the sidewalk/road for my daughter to see. I think she'll really enjoy that since she's crafty! I just have to make sure the kids don't run off with my chalk since that's something you can't find in the stores right now!

Usually for the kids birthday, we celebrate as a family. My daughter has never been around other kids, to know them well enough, to have a birthday party. But this year, she's made a couple really good friends and we figured it was time to have a party. It probably would have been her second, maybe third real birthday party she's ever had in her life.
Well shoot! Hopefully people do some fun chalk stuff for her! I'm thinking (hoping!?) that humanity has grown during all this!
Old 04-23-2020, 10:56 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

maybe you can do the bday wishes with the sidewalk chalk , or have each family member do one (don't let her come out to see). Decorate the main Living Space. let her chose a movie to watch as a family. Let her chose the meal (ordering out). spa day- paint toenails, fingernails. have the whole family do "how to draw" or how to paint online videos. decorate your own cupcakes. pet parade- dress up the pets and parade them through the room with bday wishes.

Happy Birthday to her regardless!!!
Old 04-23-2020, 11:11 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm feeling sad about this, I just hope they would talk to you because they don't need to make up excuse anymore or whatever since we're already on lockdown. But a simple text would be nice, you know.

My daughter will have her 10th (I can't believe it ) in June and the plan was a swimming party. But I saw this quarantine bday on instagram where they used these tapes so I ordered them too and my husband is excited to help and make the poster soon

Then we will just buy a cake and pizza and her gift. You can browse on ig for quarantine bday idea, hopefully some church friends can drive by?
Old 04-23-2020, 11:15 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Oh, there's also this "quarantine cinema" where the mom made a 'ticket' and then prepared popcorns and drinks and some pretzels in the living room and the youngest kid was the one 'collecting' the tickets and idstributing the food and drinks. And the living room lights were all off and it's just the tv for movie.
Old 04-23-2020, 11:16 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

One of my son's friends just turned 16 and my son 'went' to his party. The birthday boy's parents had a small pizza delivered to each of the boys houses (only 4 boys plus birthday boy) and dropped off a package of hostess cupcakes with a candle. The boys sang and ate cupcakes over FaceTime and then spent most of the night eating pizza and playing video games.

My tween daughter has also done a couple of virtual sleepovers over FaceTime with each girl gathering their own snacks, crafts, face masks, etc. ahead of time and then they stay up all night messing around.

I know neither of these fit your daughter exactly, but perhaps they could be adapted so she could do something with her friends?
Old 04-24-2020, 12:35 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

My son will have his bday soon too, 14. He is a quiet kid and we have moved a bit, so he doesn't have a lot of close friends. I'm still trying to think of ideas for him too.
I did have another friend who had friends and family email her or text her video messages and put them together as a movie for her kid. Our fire department will drive by if they aren't on a call for bdays too, but at 14 I don't think my son would love it. So far I'm planning on letting him pick all the meals (maybe take out for dinner) and a movie or two - but need to come up with something else still too
Old 04-24-2020, 12:42 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We have a little girl tunring 6 so not quite a teenager, but we decided to do a zoom (or equivalent) birthday with all her little friends. I've set up for all the kis to get plates/cups/napkins in the right theme which we'll deliver next week and they have been safely wrapped in plastic for more than a week so they should be safe. I've also asked the parents to make/buy a cupcake so their kids can share the birthday cake part and some have offered to get a gift that I can pick up when dropping off plates/cups/napkin. While it's not the ideal birthday, my daughter thinks it's kinda cool to do it this way. Also, she's getting to decide what we have for dinner and what we do with the rest of the day.

Perhaps you could try reaching out to her friends directly and asking if they can call her to say happy birthday or do a video call of some kind? I really hope the parents get back to you though, that's just rude to ignore you like that.
Old 04-24-2020, 12:46 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My boyfriends' daughter turned 10 on April 16th.
I felt bad for her. She wanted to invite friends, go to an amusement park (but they are closed) and celebrate with family. Well, none of that happened.
Instead we baked cookies, watched Star Wars (she's really into Star Wars lately), made homemade pizza. We also decorated the whole house the night before when she was asleep. We had cake. She got a new game for her Switch, so she played with that.
We asked some of her friends if they could do something for her. Some of them knocked on the door and left a present. Some of them made a drawing and left it in our mailbox. She was very happy her friends didn't forget her birthday. For her, that was the biggest present.

I scrapped a photoless layout about it.

Old 04-24-2020, 01:20 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

When my oldest turned 16 a couple of weeks ago, he did a Zoom party with his friends. We've promised to let him celebrate properly at a later time. I was planning to make his favorite meal, but several of the items I needed didn't show up with my grocery delivery order, so we ended up ordering Chipotle delivery (another favorite). I had planned a surprise trip to NYC and DC, but of course that was all postponed too. Birthdays are tough during this time Happy early birthday to your daughter.
Old 04-24-2020, 06:27 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

The birthday parade sounds like a lot of fun and maybe a Zoom-party ?? Birthdays can still be fun during these times...we're having the birthday of our nephew (he turns one on May 14th) and we're planning on make a bag with a few presents/balloons and leave it on the doorstep..ring the bell and walk to the car. We might even sing Happy Birthday to him but don't want the neighbours to call the police (yes, I sing that bad !! LOL). Wishing your DD a very happy birthday ♥
Old 04-24-2020, 12:26 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrygutz View Post
My daughter will have her 10th (I can't believe it ) in June and the plan was a swimming party. But I saw this quarantine bday on instagram where they used these tapes so I ordered them too and my husband is excited to help and make the poster soon

I had seen these tapes earlier and was waiting to hear back from someone who had purchased them. I just ordered "Covid19" tape and "Do Not Enter" tape for her photos! Where did you order yours from?

I have my Cricut and will try to cut letters to make a quarantine board for her to hold up! Do you know what you have planned for your poster board?
Old 04-24-2020, 12:30 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Thank you guys for your help.

I've already made a post on our neighborhood page asking people to come and write birthday wishes on the sidewalk/street in front of our house. Hopefully they follow through and do it, otherwise it will just be our family doing it!

I was really asking for photo suggestions, for like a photoshoot. I liked Cherry's idea of the caution tape. I did buy some. It won't be here until after her birthday, but we can do photos next week, especially since this weekend is supposed to be overcast/cloudy.

My daughter had suggested getting a photo of her with a wall of toilet paper but we do not have that much toilet paper to make that happen!! Instead while talking to Tammy she said to take a photo with just a single roll of toilet paper, which I think is a great suggestion!!! Of course she'll have to have some photos of her wearing a mask!!

I do plan on making a board with my cricut (wish me luck) that says something about being on quarantine. Or if you all have any other suggestions, I'd appreciate them as well!

Does anyone else have any other PHOTO ideas for documenting her birthday?
Old 04-24-2020, 12:39 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I am in the planning stages of a photo shoot for 2 college grads who are not getting to have their graduation. I've been collabing with mom..
we are going to get a 6-foot stick, at one end we are taping a "dipolma" and having them taking it off that, also going to put the stick between them with a "2020" banner, they have some TP/masks.. trying to make light of the situation for them. They are super bummed, they just got engaged as well, so we are doing some 'not' grad photos. We wont be shooting for a couple more weeks still...
Old 04-24-2020, 01:29 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

wendy- i think you could photoshop her in front of a wall of TP.

Old 04-24-2020, 01:44 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My daughter celebrated her Sweet 16 on March 27 ...if you want to call it that! She wants to be a chef, so she wanted to make Manicotti for her birthday dinner. I scrapped that, but we really couldn't celebrate too much. We were going to get her new luggage for her trip to Germany with her German class, but that has since been canceled so we never bought the luggage. All of her friends sent her message on social media and I know her 6 best friends do a lot of zoom chatting (at least I think that's the app!). They even have done some group projects that way since school was moved to all online. Luckily, my Avery is always looking for the best in any situation and she was ok with just getting to talk to her family on the phone. We will be doing something...not sure what, after all this is over!

I don't really have any ideas besides what was already mentioned, but I hope your daughter has a HAPPY Birthday!
Old 04-24-2020, 01:47 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I'm sure you will figure out something fun, Wendy.
We've had 2 quarantine birthdays at our house this month and we didn't do a whole lot. Brenna was hoping to have a sleepover with some of her friends, but... Bryce had to work most of the day. They picked a place to get takeout from for dinner, Sarah (my youngest) made and decorated cakes for them all on her own, and we watched movies together of their choice as a family. I did have one of Brenna's friends make sure to get out the word that she could use some messages from people and there were a few that dropped gifts off on the porch throughout the day. I just took photos of things as the day went along since it was a pretty casual day.
I've got 2 college graduates who want to do photos in their caps and gowns, but we aren't rushing to get that done since one of them won't be home until after her apartment lease is up at the beginning of May since she hasn't found a job yet (figures a nursing grad could find a job somewhere, but nada...)
Old 04-24-2020, 07:07 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Letting her pick dinner and movie is a good idea. I like the idea of a fun photo shoot with her posing with TP, sanitizer, etc with goofy expressions. That would be fun. You could give her birthday coupons to be used when restrictions are lifted i.e. picking out a special gift later, a girls afternoon with her friends, etc.
Old 04-24-2020, 08:44 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

That is such a special birthday to celebrate in quarantine. : ( It sounds like you have some good ways to make her feel special.
Old 04-25-2020, 12:19 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I ordered them from amazon last Saturday and they came this Wednesday.
I saw this on instagram and I am planning on making this a 10 year old friendly thing and I'm planning on placing them indoor and in our small backyard. I am still thinking and checking where I can order a yellow (in my country we call it cartolina, the big yellow paper) paper, or if I can't find any, I will just put together some yellow papers I bought at Michaels last year.

The bigger and clearer version of this photo is here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverland Scraps View Post
I had seen these tapes earlier and was waiting to hear back from someone who had purchased them. I just ordered "Covid19" tape and "Do Not Enter" tape for her photos! Where did you order yours from?

I have my Cricut and will try to cut letters to make a quarantine board for her to hold up! Do you know what you have planned for your poster board?

Last edited by cherrygutz; 04-25-2020 at 12:25 AM.
Old 04-26-2020, 09:03 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Her birthday meal - first she wanted roast. Then she asked if we could have ribs from the place where we ate for my birthday. On our way over to the restaurant and getting ready to order, she asked for BoJangles. That's what she settled on---southern fried chicken!

After lunch, we baked and decorated her birthday cake. In the past, it's been me decorating the kids cakes. But the past few birthdays the kids have been getting involved. This year was no different--it was a family affair! We even got the kitties involved--okay, they just liked eating the icing that I dribbled on the kids (totally on purpose). After singing and cake, she opened up her presents before looking out the window and seeing the neighbors and kids decorating the sidewalk and road with birthday wishes!!

Some of her quarantine products have started to arrive, which we will use for her photoshoot when it's sunny enough, that we can go outside. She's getting excited about that part and that makes me happy because normally she acts all goofy in photos as she has really low self-esteem.

Anyways, here are a few photos from today:

Now hopefully her birthday photoshoot comes together nicely and the weather cooperates with us!
Old 04-26-2020, 11:35 PM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

Happy birthday to your daughter, Wendy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-27-2020, 06:35 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

It looks like such a fun day and I LOVE your photos! I can't wait to see the pages you scrap! Happy birthday to your sweet girl!

Old 04-27-2020, 07:28 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Looks like she had a great day, Wendy! Happy birthday to her!
Old 04-27-2020, 01:52 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Cute cake Wendy! So fun that everyone helped decorate it! Maybe pretend to "wrap" lysol wipes and lysol - put a bow on it or something as a joke present for your photo shoot. Maybe make a shirt about the one where everybody stayed home for her birthday. I've seen that for friends, but you could do the same thing for psych. Or make a social distancing birthday shirt.
Old 04-27-2020, 03:45 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by icindi View Post
Cute cake Wendy! So fun that everyone helped decorate it! Maybe pretend to "wrap" lysol wipes and lysol - put a bow on it or something as a joke present for your photo shoot. Maybe make a shirt about the one where everybody stayed home for her birthday. I've seen that for friends, but you could do the same thing for psych. Or make a social distancing birthday shirt.
I so want to make a shirt for her, but my vinyl got held up with shipment and the craft stores won't let you purchase shirts, only fabric for making masks. So that shirt might be done later when things get opened/delivered.

I love the wrapping the lysol!! Will have to include that in her photoshoot!
Old 04-27-2020, 03:50 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I absolutely LOVE her Psych cake!! And, how fun that you all played with the frosting .. even the kitty!