Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 04-10-2015, 03:54 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm
Default What do you look for/need in a boy kit?

Any specific boy-ish themes you're dying to have a kit for? Any colours? Yes. I'm picking your brains :P

I haven't made a boy kit in so long and really want to make an awesome one right.now.
Old 04-10-2015, 04:36 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Lots of paint and doodles.... For colors I like black and white patterns with just one or two bright colors for for that extra punch and drama (for my boys lime would be a key color, or pink, or purple or bright blue...lol ). I also like metal elements on my boy pages (not necessarily gears or screw heads (though those work too), but just metal in general). Other than that I'm not much help... I use all element types (flowers, glitter, ribbon) on my boy pages, and the only things my boys are into are video games and 4H....... For me it's mostly the color combo that grabs my interest for a good boy kit.

Last edited by JennNtheBoys; 04-10-2015 at 05:47 PM.
Old 04-10-2015, 04:44 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

The only boys kit I really NEED is a pink one... you know, pink cars, pink robots, pink BOY STUFF. But I guess that's too much to ask, so... even if I scrap for my boys, I like to use flowers and foliage. Without flowers, I mostly have a hard time using a kit. Paint is important, too. My older boy's favorite colors are red and black, and the younger one's is... yeah, PINK, so I'm drawn to kits with these colors in them.
I also LOVE boy kits who are for boys, but have a "soft" element in them- like "older brother protects little one" or "Little engineer/nerd" or "Boy caring for a pet"- just something that shows a tender, intellectual side and not only the usual "boys are a noise with dirt on them", because my boys aren't always like that...
Old 04-10-2015, 05:44 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I´ve been looking for a martial arts kit for a while
I would love to see paint splashes, doodles about knunchakus, belts of different colors, wordart about honor and discipline. Lots of white.
Old 04-10-2015, 05:53 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Can't wait to see what you come up with! I'm scrapping older boys these days (9 and 11), so I want boy kits that are less cutesy and more tween-appropriate. Non-themed boy kits are always good, but if you prefer to work with a theme I'd use sports, brothers (getting along or doing things together), hanging out (at home or with friends), creating (Legos, drawing, etc.), exploring outside, reading, gaming, something for scrapping their view of the world (thoughts/opinions on anything from politics to friendship to favorite books), being silly, and tween attitude.

There's no specific thing I need to see, but a lot of non-floral elements are a must. My oldest hates it when I use anything he'd consider girly on his pages. I still like to have foliage, but not flowers.

My preference in colors is lots of them! Girl kits often seem to have a much larger palette than boy kits. Or maybe it's just that boy kits have more shades of the same color (ie, 3 blues) and more neutrals.
Old 04-10-2015, 05:55 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrianaVianey View Post
I´ve been looking for a martial arts kit for a while
I would love to see paint splashes, doodles about knunchakus, belts of different colors, wordart about honor and discipline. Lots of white.
Have you seen this one by Traci?

Old 04-10-2015, 06:08 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

-A martial arts kit would be great (so funny I just came from my son's karate boot camp)...I would add karate symbols to Oriana's list...also anything related to sparring...gloves, headgear, footgear, a cup (lol...I think all of the parents of young boys have funny stories about their first time purchasing/wearing a cup), boxing bag

-A kit about friends (one may exist and I just don't know...I've seen a lot of brother kits)

-Kits with the color, red, blue, light blue, orange are big time favorites...I think every outfit my son had when he was younger and one of those colors

-I would love a kit with no flowers...I do use flowers on my son's layouts but sometimes I would love to see starts, circle elements, anything other than a flower
Old 04-10-2015, 06:11 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have Traci's kit and I love it...

I forgot to add...any type of gaming or basketball kit...
Old 04-10-2015, 06:51 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have been meaning to mention this but, my son had a son/mom dance at school. We had our picture taken. I really need a kit for it lol! I will get the picture in a little bit. I love flowers! I am surrounded by guys. I need a girly outlet somewhere even if its on my boy pages lol!

Also my son is graduating kindergarten and his colors are blue and orange.
Old 04-10-2015, 07:24 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Sorry for the crappy cell phone picture of a picture in a plastic bag lol! These colors would be nice!!!
Old 04-10-2015, 07:29 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

graduation picture I will scan later lol
Old 04-10-2015, 08:30 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Generally, I'd like to see more navy or royal blues in kits. Everyone always seems to use aqua in kits these days.
Old 04-10-2015, 08:53 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

all I know is that I'm so tired of blue/brown boy kits with gears and trucks. Give me some flowers in a boy kit too please!! just my 2 cents

Old 04-11-2015, 03:05 AM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi&co. View Post
all I know is that I'm so tired of blue/brown boy kits with gears and trucks. Give me some flowers in a boy kit too please!! just my 2 cents
I second this whole-heartedly... boy kits tend to look a little drab because most always have blue, brown and gray and little else... that's why I LOVED Wild Boyz by Studio Flergs, because it had FLOWERS and a little brighter colors.
Old 04-11-2015, 01:41 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I love bue boys kits, but I'd LOVE to se a navy blue one. Or a bright coloured one. And please, no orange. Also flowers and paint is good.

Also I would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE a sibling kit in blue, navy, turquoise, but one that would work just as well for boys as for girls. I have a hard time finding kids that are good for both and as I have a boy and a girl I'd love a kit that works for both.
Old 04-11-2015, 01:50 PM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

I would say blue with black and white and some wood would be awesome.
Old 04-11-2015, 01:59 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My fave colours for pages about my son would be white, black, grey, dark blue, lime green - like this:

I would think any of these would be good for a generic boy: paint, doodles, stacked paper stars, puffy sticker stars, scatters, leaves and grass, buttons, metal pieces, word art, word strips, stamps, pennants, string, banners/flags, blank labels, arrows, washi tape, paper trim, staples, fasteners... lots of stuff! I'm flexible when it comes to boy kits.
Old 04-11-2015, 03:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I tend to gravitate toward more nature-y boy kits but I am honestly not at all picky about them. If it's a boy kit, I almost always love it unless it's a super specific theme that doesn't apply at all. Even then, if the colors are right, I'll use it!

Oooh, or Star Wars inspired!

siggy by the incredibly amazing Jacinda