Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2012, 09:55 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to kscwgirl
Default Talk to me about ADHD meds for kids

JJ goes to the dr Oct 3rd and he is most likely getting an adhd diagnosis. I have known this was coming for a long time but wasn't ready to deal with it. He is a complete mess at school this year and I can't really avoid it any longer. He's a mess at home too LOL

So..... I don't want him to be a zombiefied version of himself.. I still want him to be him.. just (for the love of god) calmer.

Any recommendations??? This breaks my heart but I know in the long run it's best for him.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:00 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My sister has been through this with her son, who is 9. She was hesitant to start medication, but he was so unfocused in school and at home too. She started him on Ritalin a couple weeks before school started. Here is an email she just sent me last week:

"I just had the most awesome talk with Duncan’s teacher!

She said she sees no "ticks" like other kids on meds. That he pays attention 95% of the time- and no kid does 100%. She said that she has a few students that need extra help and her focus is often on them, and she said Duncan is one of the students she knows will stay on task and not stray! If he doesn't understand something he asks questions, and he is doing awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Of course every child is different but this has been her experience and she is ecstatic for him - he truly is doing so well and has so much more confidence because he's doing so well.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:44 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm so frustrated and maybe you all will understand.

What symptoms lead to your ADHD diagnosis?

My Addison is 7 and struggles with many ADHD tendencies. She does very well academically but is constantly getting in trouble for being distracted, not staying on task and constantly moving.

But every pediatrician we talk to says that sicne she's not doing poorly academically, she doesn't have ADHD.

I'm so frustrated.

Anyway, Sara, I have a friend whose son went on meds. It took a bit of time to find the right one for him, but since he's found that right one he has been doing amazing. He's still Josh, just calmer and better able to focus.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:14 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayaandjudah View Post
But every pediatrician we talk to says that sicne she's not doing poorly academically, she doesn't have ADHD.
That would be frustrating! Gifted kids can have ADHD, too. I assume you're dealing with regular pediatricians? If so, maybe a referral to a developmental pediatrician or a psychologist would help.

I'll be watching this thread. Ben was diagnosed with ADHD (primarily inattentive) last month. We're starting Focalin XR next weekend, now that his teachers have had a chance to gauge his behavior without it. Friends I've talked to said it took them several different meds and dosages to find the right one, but I only know one family who couldn't find the right one and decided to stop medicating. The others have been very happy with the results once they found the right medication.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:24 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Avery does not have ADHD but with his Aspergers he has symptoms that are very similar to ADHD when he is at school. We have had a very rough first month. So bad that we kept saying meds would be our last resort...I think we've gotten there. He absolutely cannot focus, sit still or stay on task in the classroom. I called his doctor yesterday and scheduled an appt. (she can't see us til Nov 1!!!) but we will probably be going this route in the next month or so.

It scares me...I don't like the idea but at this point he's struggling and if the meds will help then we'll go with that and see how it goes.

Avery has straight A's at school..his teacher said if he were in public schools he'd probably be in gifted classes so I don't think grades have anything to do with attention disorders..I mean I'm sure they can affect them..but some kids are just smart and are going to get good grades regardless of whether they have conduct issues etc.

Old 09-21-2012, 12:28 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

He's super smart, he's just incredibly impulsive and can't sit still, stay in his seat or stop talking to save his little life. He doesn't listen worth a darn. I am at my wits end with him b/c he is just so unaffected by anything.. we talk to him... nothing gets through.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:56 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:

oh hon... I'd keep looking for someone who will listen to you... My therapist told me it was kids like me that always went un-diagnosed and get to a point where they can't cope anymore and it does hurt them acedemically... like me not finishing college even though I was smart enough to... I'm one of the smart academically kids who didn't get diagnosed until 38 years old and went through a grieving stage of "what ifs" when I finally got diagnosed... I mean, if I had been diagnosed in school would I have finished college, how would my life be different than it is now?

I'd really encourage you to keep fighting... even though I was totally smart I got in trouble for being disruptive because I was helping my fellow classmates :/ I had other students tell me to stop clicking my pen because it was driving them crazy... but it was the only way I could concentrate and I'd lose all focus... seriously... you're child will thank you when she's older for being her advocate, seriously!!!
Old 09-21-2012, 12:57 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Sara... I'm on YIM... while packing for vacation... you can always chat with me if you'd like...
Old 09-21-2012, 01:02 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Sara,

Your description of JJ sounds so much like Addison. No matter what we say, yell, take away, etc, she just doesn't seem to care.

I will get her a developmental ped appt. Thanks.

Heather, I am pretty sure that I am undiagnosed ADHD and even without it, I wonder about the what ifs. What would my life have been like if I was able to live up to the potential I always heard about?
Old 09-21-2012, 01:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscwgirl View Post
He's super smart, he's just incredibly impulsive and can't sit still, stay in his seat or stop talking to save his little life. He doesn't listen worth a darn. I am at my wits end with him b/c he is just so unaffected by anything.. we talk to him... nothing gets through.
This sounds so much like my nephew Sara! He is such a sweet kid but he just does things without thinking at all and trying to talk to him is like talking to the proverbial brick wall. He isn't actually too hyperactive as long as he stays away from candy, and artificial dyes (you can really tell when his father has given him red candy! LOL) but he just could not focus to save his life.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:13 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My 14 yr old is on ADHD meds for about a year now. I was really scared at first but to be honest with youI have seen no ill side effects what so ever. She is taking Vyvanse now and tried methylphenedate before. The vyvanse is giving her a longer acting duration of being able to focus and such in school. She is occasionally tired but has never ever been over dosed or zombified lol I am just grateful we tried it.

Maybe you just have to give it a go if there is a chance of it helping... maybe you might have to try a couple til you find out that you are happy with. They can effect them differently I would imagine.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:21 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My oldest has ADHD. He was diagnosed during Kindergarten -- almost 2 years ago now. He takes Concerta and has for almost that long. About every 6 months we notice the meds are not quite as effective as they were and have had to adjust the dosages. Recenty, we also put him on Intuniv in addition to the Concerta. This combination has been working very well. The biggest problem we were having is that Isaac would have no impulse control, was completely unable to focus and it was like he was driven by some unforseen motor. The first day he took the meds, he sat at our kitchen table and colored for 5 hours straight. He is just much more calm with the meds on board and he is able to focus at school and is excelling with his academics. I know meds aren't the answer for everyone or every child with ADHD, but for us, the meds have been a necessity. We also do behavorial therapy too and this has helped as well.

On a side note Sara -- I know JJ just went through the whole broken arm thing -- and if I remember correctly it was a trip and fall or something like that. But one of the things our pediatrician was concerned about in Isaac's case was that he too had a broken arm at the beginning of Kindergarten and she told us that a lot of times kids with ADHD are unable to make completely safe choices for themselves because they are so impulsive -- they may know whatever they are doing is wrong, but they can't get their brains to act quickly enough to stop themselves. I don't know about JJ, but Isaac would constantly jump off of things he shouldn't, or do things that were completely unsafe, but it was like he couldn't stop himself. Now, he at least has more control and is able to keep himself a little more safe.

Good luck! ADHD and the meds are not fun by any means, but the meds and his therapy have made a huge positive impact for Isaac and his ability to succeed in school!
Old 09-21-2012, 03:25 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

My dd who is in 7th grade has ADHD inattentive only. She has been on Vyvnase since the end of 3rd grade. It has been wonderful for her! We started with Vyvnase just because it could be dissolved in water and she couldn't swallow pills. Turned out to be the right one for her, so we were very glad!
Old 09-21-2012, 03:30 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaacsmom View Post
My oldest has ADHD. He was diagnosed during Kindergarten -- almost 2 years ago now. He takes Concerta and has for almost that long. About every 6 months we notice the meds are not quite as effective as they were and have had to adjust the dosages. Recenty, we also put him on Intuniv in addition to the Concerta. This combination has been working very well. The biggest problem we were having is that Isaac would have no impulse control, was completely unable to focus and it was like he was driven by some unforseen motor. The first day he took the meds, he sat at our kitchen table and colored for 5 hours straight. He is just much more calm with the meds on board and he is able to focus at school and is excelling with his academics. I know meds aren't the answer for everyone or every child with ADHD, but for us, the meds have been a necessity. We also do behavorial therapy too and this has helped as well.

On a side note Sara -- I know JJ just went through the whole broken arm thing -- and if I remember correctly it was a trip and fall or something like that. But one of the things our pediatrician was concerned about in Isaac's case was that he too had a broken arm at the beginning of Kindergarten and she told us that a lot of times kids with ADHD are unable to make completely safe choices for themselves because they are so impulsive -- they may know whatever they are doing is wrong, but they can't get their brains to act quickly enough to stop themselves. I don't know about JJ, but Isaac would constantly jump off of things he shouldn't, or do things that were completely unsafe, but it was like he couldn't stop himself. Now, he at least has more control and is able to keep himself a little more safe.

Good luck! ADHD and the meds are not fun by any means, but the meds and his therapy have made a huge positive impact for Isaac and his ability to succeed in school!
Girl. He was crawling down the stairs. He has no control. That sounds SO much like JJ.. thank you!! I'm feeling a little better about medicating him now.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:40 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

First of all the process to get our daughter on ADD medicine was not fast. After we had the Ped consult we had to do blind surveys completed by parents and teacher. Then we had to have another meeting with the Ped. to discuss the results. Then we had to get an EKG which is not easy to get for kids. You have to have a Pediatric Cardiologist run the test. Then we had to wait for results and clearance. Then we could start the drugs. It took us about 3 months in all for the whole process.

We started Hannah in second grade on Vyvanse. Side effects were that she had a hard time falling asleep at night (we used Melatonin to counter act but she never went to sleep before 10:30 pm - we had to give her the pill before she even got out of bed in the am so it would wear off by bed time), and she lost weight. My mom thought that she seemed really flat, not like herself at all and she got really thin. I will say that she seemed a little depressed, but was doing so much better in school and was able to play with other kids so I didn't think it was a huge issue. We used this for a year and then when it started not working we had to stop because she was still losing weight and we couldn't up her dose. I will say that this medication gave her the best concentration and it was like night and day.

We switched to Strattera. Concentration was great but then we got these huge crying fits and mood swings. She would spend a whole day on a Saturday in my lap crying that we were going to lose our house and be poor. All because she would see people on the corners with signs collecting money. After a month we had to switch.

Then we switched to Concerta and we've been on that ever since. I don't think we get the same level of concentration and self control we had with the Vyvanse, but she goes to sleep around 9:30 every night, she eats (she gained 10 pounds in 3 months after coming off the Vyvanse), and her grades are good. She still has to mindfully work on being able to write so others can read it and keeping her organized is harder. There are no ticks and pretty much she's a happy kid. You can really tell when she forgets to take the pill. We're all feeling like we're going to kill her because she's all over the place. That's how I know it's working well for her.

Good luck Sara...this is not an easy journey. But I will say that once we started the meds I was amazed how fast everything turned around. I felt guilt I had to do go to meds but boy does it make her life better and ours too.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:46 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

let me preface this by saying I was an ADD medicated child and I think when I was growing up ADD and kids on Ritalin was sometimes a way of having your kids "grow up" and stop being kids. It was an easy parenting tool and overly prescribed.

I was VERY against meds when I had a child diagnosed with ADHD b/c of how I grew up. I have a very addictive personality and I think some of that is b/c I was on meds for so long. The studies and trials however have advanced so much since the 80's and when I finally had a good doctor sit and really describe to me how my child thinks it made sense for me. I'll never forget the doctor telling me that my kid couldn't distinguish that the teacher talking was more important than the bird chirping outside the window. The "filter" that recognizes importance was just missing and he somehow convinced me to try meds for my child.

My kid is a different child now but in a great way. Just started the 8th year on his 4th or 5th med. (currently on vyvanse) I can't remember how many but as insurance changed and later new technology in creating new meds. It's been night and day. Went from a struggling first grader to a thriving 9th grader taking honors classes and just a great kid.

I do have another child that has had a different experience with meds. (currently on Concerta) No matter what we've tried it's altered her personality and attitude and sometimes it's just not worth it. As long as she's not struggling I don't make her take meds. I like her so much better off the meds than I do on them so she only takes them if she's going to be driving. I just couldn't forgive myself if something happened on the road b/c she lost focus for a split second

I try and look at it in another way. If our child had a serious illness we'd never not treat that situation. It's our job as parents to do everything we can to contribute to the success of our kids. Even if meds are the last resort sometimes it's just a necessity. I think parents that are unwilling to consider meds after exhausting all other available options are doing their child a disservice.

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 09-21-2012, 03:47 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I wanted to say that our Pediatrician recommended trying the Intuiv after the Strattera but I said no. It used to be used to lower blood pressure. After talking to a Pharmacist friend of mine and considering how we live in Florida and my daughter plays outside non-stop it was not a good choice for us. Kids can lose conscienceness on it if they are overly active. Plus if you have any history of heart issues in your family it can be dangerous.

I highly recommend you research all the drugs before you go back so you have an idea what you want. The Pediatrician will probably recommend something to start with based off your test results.

The only thing I find a pain with ADD meds is that we have to visit the Ped every three months for a check up and because it's a controlled substance you have to take the paper script to the pharmacy each month (at least here in Fla). They can only be refilled every 30 days so if you lose a pill or go on vacation when it's time to refill it can be a bit of a headache - but it's worth it.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:53 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

We only have to go every 6 months here so that's nice. Also my dr and insurance at the time would fill 90 days at a time so it really depends on the doctor and insurance. I do have to go pick up a paper copy though each time I need it filled since it's a class 2 substance.

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 09-21-2012, 03:57 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlirtatiousBrat View Post

I try and look at it in another way. If our child had a serious illness we'd never not treat that situation. It's our job as parents to do everything we can to contribute to the success of our kids. Even if meds are the last resort sometimes it's just a necessity. I think parents that are unwilling to consider meds after exhausting all other available options are doing their child a disservice.
I agree with you Meghan. My issue is that the pediatricians tell me she's fine because she's doing very well academically in school. And there are times when I do see her concentrate.

But like you said, she's missing the filter to judge what is more important for her to do.

There's a lot of frustration here. She's in 2nd grade and this has been going on since Kindergarten. She doesn't present as "typical" ADHD.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:02 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I agree with you Meghan. My issue is that the pediatricians tell me she's fine because she's doing very well academically in school. And there are times when I do see her concentrate.

But like you said, she's missing the filter to judge what is more important for her to do.

There's a lot of frustration here. She's in 2nd grade and this has been going on since Kindergarten. She doesn't present as "typical" ADHD.
I hope I didn't come across in attack mode towards you b/c that was NOT my intention if that's how it read.

I understand your frustration. You have mother's intuition you know that your child struggles. It stinks when nobody will listen when we are who know our kids best. it's our job as a moms to do all we can to make somebody listen to us. I'd take her to a different doctor until you find one that WILL listen to your concerns.

Where does she struggle most? Is it in class, at homework time, sitting still, etc? If you struggle with homework a suggestion I was given was to give my kiddo a block or lego or something to twiddle in their hand while doing homework. It gives them a place to expel their excess energy without being disruptive.

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 09-21-2012, 04:49 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkiARNGwife View Post
Avery does not have ADHD but with his Aspergers he has symptoms that are very similar to ADHD when he is at school.
Nikki, are you sure he doesn't have both? A lot of kids on the autism spectrum also have ADHD. Ben has both, and so does my oldest son's best friend. Ben was diagnosed with both at the same time, but our friend was diagnosed with Asperger's and then her parents pursued an ADHD diagnosis 6 months or a year later.

Last edited by rach3975; 09-21-2012 at 04:51 PM.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:34 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
This is my Noah through and through. He still has issues listening to us as parents and he is super defiant. He has both ADHD and ODD. He takes a very low dose of Kapvay to help with his moodiness and he takes Concerta for the ADHD. If he doesn't take the Concerta he can't concentrate at all. With that it helps him to be able to focus. I have seen no side effects with this one and yes, he has been on other meds before. He was diagnosed when he was 4.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:35 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

I have two children (out of 6) who were diagnosed by their pediatrician as having ADHD. Both kids (son-7, daughter 14) were on Adderall XR (the XR just means the medication is time released). My son-who is also ODD has been on the medication since preschool & does absolutely great..meaning not "zombified" by the medication and he eats just fine/sleeps just fine/pays attention well (makes honor roll) and is active when he needs to be (he plays on the youth football league). He sees the doctor every 3 months for a med check to keep up to date and to make sure the dosage is correct..etc.
My daughter however was only on her medication for about a year..same medication but different dose..she stopped eating and was very sleepy all the time..we haven't found a medication that's worked for her but with her being a Freshman in HS and her being able to "control" herself/actions..she's doing just fine without the medicine.
I know you've gotten lots of replies to this post so I hope that we've all been able to help to some extent and good luck to whatever choice you/your pediatrician follows through with.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:26 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Girl. He was crawling down the stairs. He has no control. That sounds SO much like JJ.. thank you!! I'm feeling a little better about medicating him now.
Sara I'm totally picturing a whole Spiderman type attempt at going down the stairs. LOL!!! I'm sorry it ended the way it did, but still kind of makes me chuckle picturing him doing that. When Isaac broke his arm just recently it was on the monkey bars (second break from a monkey bar incident) and when I asked him what happened he said, "Well, I was skipping three bars at a time, and I fell." Seriously kid??? Did you think that was really a good idea. Anyway, I hope you are able to take the info everyone has shared and get JJ the help if that is what the pedi thinks is going on.
Old 09-22-2012, 06:13 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I haven't experienced this personally ( though I see ADD tendencies without the hyperactivity in myself and son at times)

But I'm a teacher and have seen it with many students (most of mine are too young to consider meds but do when they get to later grades)

My thought is this- if your child needed glasses to see, you'd get them right? Or insulin to manage their blood sugar? I see this in the same light. If nothing else was working and they needed meds to be successful (or even just function) you would get them. That said, everyone is different so it can be trial and error. Remember to keep doctors and teachers in the loop as you try a new med. there is nothing more frustrating than when parents will try a new med or take their child off a med without mentioning it to "see if we notice"- if the meds work and they stop taking them, or they try something new that alters them in an unintended way, or even if they start one that works winderfully, I promise the teacher will know something is up. Teachers want to help kids and will give you honest feedback if you keep them in the loop.

Just my two cents. Hang in there as you begin this daunting process and just keep the end game in sight. You know your child best so you decide what's best for him

Returning from a long scrapping hiatus!

Last edited by schock77; 09-22-2012 at 06:15 AM. Reason: Can't type on my phone! :)
Old 09-22-2012, 08:06 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Quote:

What symptoms lead to your ADHD diagnosis?

My Addison is 7 and struggles with many ADHD tendencies. She does very well academically but is constantly getting in trouble for being distracted, not staying on task and constantly moving.

Alisa, I know without a doubt the reason no one every tested me for anything as a child was because I did well in school and score very well on standardized tests. They often don't think that kids that do well in school could have anything going on. Its not true. I know now that I have dyslexia and most likely ADHD, but its wasn't even discovered until I was an adult and people talked to me about it. All the symptoms fit perfectly. Keep talking and insisting if this is how you feel.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:12 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlirtatiousBrat View Post
suggestion I was given was to give my kiddo a block or lego or something to twiddle in their hand while doing homework. It gives them a place to expel their excess energy without being disruptive.
This helps so much! I even do this now all the time. I didn't even realize why I do this kind of thing until a friend with ADHD talked to me about it. Last month I was doing this with my nails, rubbing across them, etc and someone asked me why I do that, now at least I know why.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:29 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

We started my middle son on Adderall XR this year. We were not only hesitant about starting him on meds, we really didn't want to go with a stimulant, but we also needed something for immediate results so that Ryan wouldn't go another several weeks on N's and U's and failing things that we know he knows. The first DAY there was a huge - positive - difference. Not only could we see it, but even Ryan saw it. I'll never forget that the first thing he told me that afternoon when I picked him up from school "Mom! We watched a movie today and I sat and watched the WHOLE THING!" That might seem like a little thing, but 9 times out of 10 Ryan can not sit for a movie, he has to be doing 20 other things while he watches or he falls asleep. He was just so excited about sitting and watching a movie that I know he's seen like 10 times already.
In the long run (well month lol) we've seen steady improvement. He's only made S- and S since starting it, which even the past two years when he would finally get used to a new teacher and class that has never happened. Everything he brings home is an A. (Seriously, his lowest grade this past month was a 95.) Now we have to worry about him being bored during his lessons. lol He's never been a good sleeper, so I can't tell you if that has been changed. His appetite hasn't diminished at all, and he still seems like Ryan, just a little calmer and with more self control.

I will say that his doctor told us that he normally doesn't start with Adderall XR on kids. The only reason that he did with Ryan - on the lowest dose because we wouldn't start with higher since we were hesitant about it being a stimulant - was because he has also been treating my younger brother for 12 years for his ADHD. Ryan is like a miniature brown haired version of my brother. Our doctor and my mom and brother went through several unsuccessful trials of different medicines and after 2 years of trial and error he started on the Adderall XR and it was the exact same as how it's been with Ryan. Our doctor knew that John is mostly against using the medicine, so he went with what he thought - based on my family history - would be the most likely to be effective.

march challenge tracker | find me on instagram and pinterest | she/her