Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2019, 11:16 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default QOTD: Magazines

My Question Of The Day is.....do you read magazines? Which ones? Did you used to read them but not anymore? Do you read them digitally or buy the paper editions?
Old 03-18-2019, 11:24 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I had subscription to People for years, but it's been a long time since I read a magazine.
Old 03-18-2019, 11:25 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Years ago I used to buy an assortment of health, food, exercise, fashion, entertainment gossip magazines. I remember at one point I was buying about 15 a month.

Nowadays I have a digital magazine subscription to read most of the ones I used to read. Some of my faves are Shape, People, Best Health, Popular Photography, Cosmo, Marie Claire, Cosmo, Us, Chatelaine, Birds & Blooms, Food Network, Clean Eating, Everyday with Rachael Ray, Eat Well, Outdoor Photographer and Digital Photographer.
Old 03-18-2019, 11:27 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Before I got my online subscription to a magazine service, I was able to stop buying most of my magazines and get them thru our local library once they set up a digital service. But "Texture" has a better selection and has almost all the ones I used to read so switched to that a few yrs ago. It's a fraction of the money I used to spend on paper editions so I'm pretty happy with it.
Old 03-18-2019, 11:28 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I like to read my onine mags on my iPad as I sit and watch TV at night. I can't read a book while watching TV b/c I can't focus on both enough to follow them, but a magazine I find easier b/c of the shorter stories with lots of photos.
Old 03-18-2019, 11:47 AM
Owner & Candy Keeper

profile gallery send pm

I subscribed to quite a few print mags during Amazon Prime Day and Black Friday since they were less than $10 for the year (most we're $5-6) and they're super easy to cancel right in your Amazon account.

Right now we get Martha Stewart Living, Real Simple, Game Informer, Popular Mechanics, Better Homes & Garden, Bon Appetit & Food Network.

Food Network mag is GARBAGE imo, but the rest are pretty enjoyable for me!
Old 03-18-2019, 11:56 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

When I was a teenager I was OBSESSED with magazines. I had a paper route when I was 11-13 and I am pretty sure most of my money I earned went towards buying magazines haha.. Including soap opera magazines. I was ridiculous.

I don't subscribe to any now but I do miss getting magazines! I will sometimes read magazines on my ipad that are available from my public library online.
Old 03-18-2019, 12:34 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I subscribe to Birds & Blooms, Cloth Paper Scissors, and Quilting Arts
Popular Science & Popular Mechanics are a few that everyone enjoys and I usually switch up which one we get, depending on price/deals available
my Husband gets Rider [a motorcycle mag] & the boys all share some national chess magazine [i can't believe that's even a 'thing' ]

They're all print subscriptions... I've tried digital versions, but it just isn't the same for me and I prefer to leaf through the real thing.

Last edited by lingovise; 03-18-2019 at 12:38 PM.
Old 03-18-2019, 01:35 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Robin - lucky you for getting such a great deal on mags for the year. One of my faves is "Real Simple" .... I like simple and cheap so this mag often has great ideas for me. I forgot to put that into my faves list. I don't think I've ever looked at Bon Appetit but I think it's part of my digital subscription. I'll have to check that out. Food mags are hit and miss with me b/c a lot of the recipes don't work for me b/c I eat low carb/paleo but sometimes I can tweak a recipe to work for me.

Kristin - we still watch Y&R and I watch GH on my laptop throughout the day as I work. So I will browse thru the soap opera mags for info on those soaps and they are part of my subscription so I don't have to pay extra to get them. I wouldn't pay to buy one of them now but I do enjoy looking thru them for who's coming and going.

Loni - I used to get a lot of scrap mags when I paper scrapped and still have a ton of card making mags that I browse thru (I still make cards now and again). I can still remember how devastated I was when Creating Keepsakes ended. Nowadays I buy the odd digital scrap mag.

I agree that a paper version is more visual, more interactive so engages you in a different way than digital does but for me, the cost and the ease of having so many editions available, not taking up space, that was the main reason I switched over.
Old 03-18-2019, 03:53 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I had stopped getting magazine subscriptions because I wasn't taking the time to read them. They'd pile up and I'd end up throwing them in the recycling.

Last year, I subscribed to a couple, thinking that I was in a different place in life & I would read them. That didin't happen. LOL! They piled up (and are still piled). I guess it's time to put them in the recycling.

I do prefer physical magazines to online, I just end up not looking at either!
Old 03-18-2019, 05:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I haven't touched a magazine in years..... I used to love home decor and organization ones, but I haven't been able to justify purchasing any in a really long time (especially after Pinterest hit the scene).
Old 03-18-2019, 05:09 PM
Owner & Candy Keeper

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennNtheBoys View Post
I haven't touched a magazine in years..... I used to love home decor and organization ones, but I haven't been able to justify purchasing any in a really long time (especially after Pinterest hit the scene).
Yeah! I could never justify purchasing them at the newsstand/grocery store price, but a $6 for the year, I can justify .50-.75 an issue even if I sometimes don't get around to reading every issue.

KCB, I used to LOOOOOVE Soap Opera Digest as a teen. I would beg my mom for that when she would ask me to go grocery shopping with her after school haha

Also, give me the low down on Birds and Blooms... I love birds and gardening, would this magazine make me happy?
Old 03-18-2019, 06:00 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Robin - here's the index from last month's mag and one of the pages. I love nature, birds, blooms, etc but know next to nothing about them so this mag has taught me a lot and it's very visually beautiful.

Old 03-18-2019, 07:13 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I haven't read a magazine in years. I used to love Newsweek. I read news online these days. My husband does get Fine Homebuilding magazine.
Old 03-18-2019, 07:42 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Tammy - I couldn't keep up with paper mags either. For every 1 or 2 I read there would be 4-5 that I didn't get around to. That's one of the reasons why I love the digi subscription because if I only read one a month it's paid for itself and I always end up reading more than that so I know it's worth it for me. I have so much less guilt with digi LOL.

Jenn - yes, pinterest really changed the availability of ideas and articles to read aside from mags, for sure.

Cindi - I read our newspaper online before when it was free with our paper subscription (my hubs reads that) but then they started charging extra for the digi format so I don't bother. There's enough free news coverage online that I don't feel I'm missing out.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:00 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I don't buy magazines. I just get Parents magazine for free every time I give birth to a new baby. lol I expect my new subscription to arrive in May or June. haha
Old 03-18-2019, 08:38 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I bought a copy of Clean Eating magazine because Melissa Hartwig Urban mentioned it on Instagram & Whole 30 was featured. It's super beautiful and informative, but I wouldn't subscribe.

In the Philippines, we have used book shops that sell used magazines as well, so sometimes I'll grab an old copy of BH&G or Real Simple.

But honestly with information on the Internet so available, I have a hard time paying for it in print.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:39 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

The only time I read a magazine is my monthly hair appointment and I catch up on all the stars news.

I don't even really watch the news because I get frustrated with the way the newscasters portray the stories and try to only give you their spin of the stories/truth.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:01 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leablahblah View Post
I don't buy magazines. I just get Parents magazine for free every time I give birth to a new baby. lol I expect my new subscription to arrive in May or June. haha
Yes! This!! haha and even then, I don't get around to reading them all

I used to read Cosmo, but it's been a good 10+ years.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:17 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I am not subscribed to any magazines but I read all of my mom's hand-me-down ones: Better Homes & Garden, People, & HGTV. She also buys my children magazines.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:37 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Kellie - I bought that issue too. Normally I read my digital copy but b/c it was a Whole 30 issue I wanted to have the paper edition to enjoy. Lots of good recipes in there. I just substitute sweet potato or japanese yams for the white potatoes.

Debbie - I hardly ever watch the news, too much doom and gloom stuff.

Karli-Marie and Lea....you two crack me up....new baby....new magazine...except you never have time to read them

LeeAndra - my daughter comes over and reads mine so she doesn't have to pay for any. She usually goes thru all my recipes, books and mags for ideas.