Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2013, 12:14 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm
Default Jeans help!

My DD is 13 and super skinny. She has outgrown her Old Navy 14 slim jeans and they don't make slims in size 16. She still needs to tighten the elastic with slims. The size 0 jeans won't stay up in the waist. I've been looking online and can't seem to find anywhere that carries a 16 slim. Any suggestions?? TIA!!
Old 09-09-2013, 12:24 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

You can get a 24 (also considered a 00 in junior sizing) or 23 in women's jeans... But since she's growing and this won't be an investment piece, I'd try stores targeted at a younger demographic like American Eagle Outfitters... Forever 21 is even less expensive, but sizing is less consistent than AE so some styles might not go small enough...

For stores under the Gap umbrella, I think you'd have to go into petite sizes to get the waist size right, but then the legs might be too short, so it would be harder to find something...

Last edited by AnalogPaper; 09-09-2013 at 12:26 PM.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:42 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I was going to recommend American Eagle as well. Their 00 size has a 23.5 waist which I think might even be smaller than the Old Navy girls slims based on the size chart. Plus they have a ton of styles which all tend to fit a little differently so I would guess she could find one that would fit.

I will say that I'm pretty petite and I never have any luck with Old Navy or Gap which both tend to have crazy vanity sizing. AE never lets me down - well outside of their way too overly trendy stuff at the moment, but she's 13 so that should work for her.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:20 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettio View Post
I will say that I'm pretty petite and I never have any luck with Old Navy or Gap which both tend to have crazy vanity sizing.
I stopped buying jeans for my kids at Old Navy because of their crazy vanity sizing. Specifically the fact that they don't seem to carry sizes that will fit middle school girls! I have a child in middle school who is absolutely not overweight, but they do not carry jeans in her size in the store and she can't wear the women's sizes yet. It's ridiculous! I know they do not carry plus size women's clothing in the store, but to not carry sizes that bridge between girls' and women's sizes?

There really needs to be some standardization in the industry.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:32 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by origami View Post
I stopped buying jeans for my kids at Old Navy because of their crazy vanity sizing. Specifically the fact that they don't seem to carry sizes that will fit middle school girls! I have a child in middle school who is absolutely not overweight, but they do not carry jeans in her size in the store and she can't wear the women's sizes yet. It's ridiculous! I know they do not carry plus size women's clothing in the store, but to not carry sizes that bridge between girls' and women's sizes?

There really needs to be some standardization in the industry.
Seriously. It drives me crazy that the sizing isn't even consistent between brands under the same umbrella company. I have Banana Republic Petites stuff that fits great but I ordered a Gap Petite shirt in my normal BR size and it fit like two sizes too big and it was the smallest size they offered. So frustrating.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:34 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Don't even get me started about women's/girls clothing sizes. It's so difficult to find stuff that fits. No matter where we shop we have to try things on. I've given up shopping for clothes online. And in the store, I can't even find panties that fit my daughter. A size 4 in one brand is the size of a 2T in another brand. Grrr...

Old 09-09-2013, 04:00 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

another AE convert from ON..I do still like ON Jeans

My oldest is super skinny and wears usually the 0 in AE Jeans..

Another store for teens you can try for jeans is Delias. They carry 00 as well

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 09-09-2013, 05:50 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Not cheap, but the Hollister jeggings or skinny leg jeans in the smallest size might work for her. My oldest has no hips and a little butt and these are the best looking and fitting jeans on her. Good luck. Jeans are so hard to find.

Have you tried JC Penny? They have some good sizes, not sure if they have 16 slim, but I know they have the plus sizes up to 18 for girls so I'm thinking they probably offer slim online. You should be able to order them shipped to your closest store for no shipping fee.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:00 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettio View Post
I have Banana Republic Petites stuff that fits great
Me too! I can buy suiting off the rack! If you haven't already, definitely check out yesstyle.com . . . at first the o/s Asian girl sizing is scary, but now I get pants, cardis, and stationary there For the longest time I tried to find awesome sweat pants a la jcrew/madewell, but I always looked like a crazy slob bc of fit issues . . . finally found a heavy knit pair for winter and light jersey pair for summer at yesstyle . . . I can just throw on a pair of heels and I'm ready to go out. I can then fall asleep fully dressed and I would be comfortable (but I'm too old for that nonsense now ) It's more like, I can eat as much as I want for dinner and it's cool cause the waist is elastic

Old 09-09-2013, 07:55 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I'm not sure what vanity sizes are... lol

Anyway, I've had the most luck with finding cute jeans at Delia's and have great length selections. Even most petites drag the ground on me so their 28" inseams make my heart happy. lol Their sizing can be odd between sizes, but I have had best luck with Reese, Bailey, and Morgan. I actually have Bailey in every wash they offer. lol

march challenge tracker | find me on instagram and pinterest | she/her
Old 09-09-2013, 08:31 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

vanity sizing aka changing sizing to fit so people feel skinnier- ON 14 fits like any other brands 16 or 18, their 10 is more like a 12-14, etc.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:53 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My DD is almost 12 and we got her jeans for this school year at Aeropostale. She can wear their 0's right now but I know they also have 00's and even 000's in some styles so you might be able to find something there. And they regularly have good sales so you can score some really great deals (we never ever pay full price for anything there lol). Pretty much all her tshirts and tank tops are from there too.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:01 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverendingJen View Post
vanity sizing aka changing sizing to fit so people feel skinnier- ON 14 fits like any other brands 16 or 18, their 10 is more like a 12-14, etc.
Yep, it's also the reason why you have 0 and 00 or XS and XXS. Not because people have gotten smaller but because people have gotten bigger.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Basically, what I am getting out of this conversation is that it's increasingly difficult for just about ANY girl or woman to find clothes that truly fit properly because the manufacturers vanity size and all their vanity sizes are different.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:57 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

Thanks everyone! We have an American Eagle near us, so I think I'll take her over there and see what we can find. She hates shopping, so hopefully it will be relatively painless!!