Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 06-05-2017, 10:36 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Have you ever been robbed?

Some guy rang our doorbell the other night really late when everyone was asleep -- claimed he had the wrong address but had me wondering if he was checking to see if anyone was home to rob the place. With Jennifer having her home burglarized and some homes near me lately, I guess I am a little paranoid.

Anyhow, have you ever been robbed - either your home or you personally?
Old 06-05-2017, 10:44 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Yes! About 6 years ago, our Jeep Cherokee was stolen from the parking lot in front of our townhouse at about midnight. I lost 2 car seats, a double stroller, my favorite CD's and countless (expensive!) Thomas trains that my son played with. The thieves used it to rob a bank. They rammed INTO the ATM machine with my precious Jeep. Then it went missing for about two weeks before police found it abandoned under a bridge in the next city over. Everything was emptied from it and it had some damage from the robbery. It was a really stressful ordeal.

(PS, Dawn! I am really loving your questions lately, it's so fun getting to know each other)

Old 06-05-2017, 11:11 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Yes...when I was in college my car was broken into while I was at work. I worked at an insurance office in a really crappy side of town. It was finals week and the only thing they could steal was my backpack with everything I needed in it. We found all of my papers scattered in the back alley. Everything else in my pack was taken...even my graphing calculator that my parents made me work for to purchase on my own while in high school. Math was my favorite and I took advanced classes. I literally cried knowing that was gone. Stupid, I know, because it's replaceable but I just felt so violated.

When I was a kid one of our trucks was stolen while we were at my stepfather's softball game. It was found days later burned to a crisp. I just don't understand people.

Old 06-05-2017, 11:39 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

A few years ago someone stole our mountain bikes (and the baby seat attached too) right from the carport attached to my house. I was pretty mad at first because they were really expensive bikes but after I calmed down I was very thankful they didn't try to come into the house to take anything. My husband was deployed at the time so I was alone - 9 months pregnant and with a not quite 2 year old. It could have been so much worse than 2 replaceable bikes.
Old 06-05-2017, 12:10 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

When I was a kid, our house was broken into. I think they took some jewelry. I don't remember them taking our TV & stereo but maybe they did. It was when I was 8 or 9 so a long, long, long time ago.

When I was in college, someone broke out the front window of my car to steal my parking pass. It was the last month of the semester, too, and the front office of my dorm, despite my showing them the police report saying my pass had been stolen, wouldn't issue me another one. I had to park on the street (and move my car every so often) until school was out. I was LIVID.
Old 06-05-2017, 02:38 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Yes, when DS was around 8 months someone got into our apartment and sprayed us, they took all the laptops leaving everything else in perfect order more than I had ever had. DH and I woke up with an awful headache and thought: unbelievable the baby didn't cry (he used to cry like hell every night till we moved) then we realized what had happened. By that time we had a new maid living with us and she said she found the door opened, we didn't believe her and called the police, they said she was definitely the partner who let the other know where were the LTs as it was weird all the jewelry, electronics and silver in the app were untouched but they couldn't make anything to prove it so we just took her to the service agency and put a complaint and that was all we could do. We haven't had unknown maids since, only girls that we or someone else has known forever, and if they can't come over well I rather have a dirty house than having a stranger living with us again. Why we suspected her? she was too good to be true, she had just been a week with us and had tidied up all the rooms except mine cause I had been sick with flu almost since she arrived, not that she hadn't tried, a coincidence? I dont think so, oh and my mom n MIL's sixth sense told them she was not trustworthy the first day she met her.
Old 06-05-2017, 03:10 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My husband's truck was broken into, back window smashed, and tailgate stolen back in September. We had moved into our new house the weekend before...and it was raining heavily all day. So the interior was soaked. We had to pay to get the window replaced and luckily we got the tailgate back a few months later. We moved to a safe town but it rattled us! We never park our cars outside our garage because of it. Luckily that's the only thing. I'm thankful for that because it's a genuine fear of mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-05-2017, 04:37 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by britaneejean View Post
My husband's truck was broken into, back window smashed, and tailgate stolen back in September. We had moved into our new house the weekend before...and it was raining heavily all day. So the interior was soaked. We had to pay to get the window replaced and luckily we got the tailgate back a few months later. We moved to a safe town but it rattled us! We never park our cars outside our garage because of it. Luckily that's the only thing. I'm thankful for that because it's a genuine fear of mine.

That was a "thing" here a while ago...stealing tailgates from pickup trucks. So weird!

Old 06-05-2017, 05:07 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

About 15 years ago my friend had her car ransacked. If I recall correctly they took spare change. I distinctly remember her being insulted that they did NOT take her CDs - like her taste in music wasn't good enough for a thief, ha!!

Old 06-05-2017, 05:09 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Yes. My hair salon was broken into. Made me feel awful for so long afterwards.
Last week my dad had his car stolen

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Old 06-05-2017, 05:17 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My apartment (years ago, when I was renting) was burgled - they stole all my camera gear (about $7,000 worth) and my passport plus some of my flatmate's stuff.

My car was also broken into at the same place a couple of years later - they smashed the driver's side window but didn't steal anything as I keep absolutely nothing of value in my car, not even 5c of spare change.

We had our car stolen and stripped of all its wheels when I was a kid too.
Old 06-05-2017, 06:14 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie1977 View Post
That was a "thing" here a while ago...stealing tailgates from pickup trucks. So weird!

That's what it was here too. The kid, or group of kids, drove around stealing the tailgates of this specific truck. Luckily they found the person but only found a few tailgates and Brian's was one of them.

Old 06-05-2017, 06:26 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Yes, when DS was around 8 months someone got into our apartment and sprayed us, they took all the laptops leaving everything else in perfect order more than I had ever had. DH and I woke up with an awful headache and thought: unbelievable the baby didn't cry (he used to cry like hell every night till we moved) then we realized what had happened.
Wait - do you mean that someone sprayed you with something to knock you out?! If so, that's crazy and really scary!
Old 06-05-2017, 06:51 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMarch View Post
Wait - do you mean that someone sprayed you with something to knock you out?! If so, that's crazy and really scary!
Exactly! We must have been in our deep sleep phase when they sprayed us and the baby I'm a calm person but thinking of DS just freaked me out!!! I still think thanks God nothing else happened to us!
Old 06-05-2017, 07:13 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by YepBrook View Post
Yes! About 6 years ago, our Jeep Cherokee was stolen from the parking lot in front of our townhouse at about midnight. I lost 2 car seats, a double stroller, my favorite CD's and countless (expensive!) Thomas trains that my son played with. The thieves used it to rob a bank. They rammed INTO the ATM machine with my precious Jeep. Then it went missing for about two weeks before police found it abandoned under a bridge in the next city over. Everything was emptied from it and it had some damage from the robbery. It was a really stressful ordeal.

(PS, Dawn! I am really loving your questions lately, it's so fun getting to know each other)
That's so weird they emptied everything, including the trains! My son would be devastated if his train collection ever got stolen!

Old 06-05-2017, 07:22 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

These stories are just insane! I can't believe so many people's been robbed before! :-o There really are jerks everywhere.

I had my (crappy) bike stolen from me when I was in college. A week later I saw it on campus. I didn't even try to get it back... I just figured if they were desperate enough to steal my rusty bike, they needed it more than me. It was really common back then. Also when I graduated, my parents got me this gigantic balloon (like a $50 balloon) and they couldn't take it in, so they left it outside. When they came back out, a guy was holding it and wouldn't give it back to them!! Said they had no proof it belonged to them even though it was one of a kind!! My parents ended up getting another balloon for me but... who does that?! Seriously.

On a more serious note, my parents' vacation home got broken into. They lived on the 28th floor (the top floor) and the police believed the robbers rappelled down from the roof and entered through the balcony. They didn't take anything big, just some inexpensive jewelry, and I'm glad my parents weren't in there at the time cause they'd probably have gotten harmed or killed. They sold their house really quick after that. Nothing makes you feel as violated and insecure as getting your house broken into.

Old 06-05-2017, 07:22 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

OK, I have to share my story. When my husband and I were living in our first home (like 22,23), our house was broken into. We had a sofa and recliner in our living room and I want to say it was Halloween or Christmas and we had a bag of snack size Snickers in the living room on a table next to my recliner. My husband opens his bags of candy very specifically -- he tears off a corner just big enough to get one piece at a time out of the bag. So one night he gets home from work, goes to take a piece of candy, and the bag is torn completely open. I was pregnant with our first child at the time and he made a joke about me ripping the bag. I hadn't. We got to looking and the window in our bathroom had been pryed open and someone had obviously climbed through it. So while we were at work that day, someone climbed in our bathroom window, sat in the recliner and ate our candy. If he wasn't so specific about his bags, we never would have even looked at the window. After that, we started using the janky alarm that the landlord had installed and got a dog. It was a long time before I felt comfortable being home alone and at the time, my husband was working retail and gone until 9-10 at night. It was almost worse because they didn't take anything. We were poor and there was probably very little to take, but the thought of someone just sitting in our house when we weren't there...
Old 06-05-2017, 07:39 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
So while we were at work that day, someone climbed in our bathroom window, sat in the recliner and ate our candy.
That's nuts! I wonder if they were planning to rob the place after their snack but got interrupted or something.
Old 06-05-2017, 09:09 PM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

Thankfully, we haven't and I hope we'd never.

All these stories are so scary!
Old 06-05-2017, 09:47 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxana View Post
Yes, when DS was around 8 months someone got into our apartment and sprayed us, they took all the laptops leaving everything else in perfect order more than I had ever had. DH and I woke up with an awful headache and thought: unbelievable the baby didn't cry (he used to cry like hell every night till we moved) then we realized what had happened. By that time we had a new maid living with us and she said she found the door opened
What a scary story! I can't even imagine how you all felt after that happened.

We were robbed once when I was in elementary school. We got home and immediately noticed that the door was open and the tv in the room was missing. They also took some of my mother's jewelry (which had a lot of sentimental value because most had been her mother's) and some specialized tools my father used for restoring cars. I remember saying that we were *so lucky* that the thief hadn't taken my boom box. Of course, I know now that it was probably only worth about $20, but at the time it seemed like an expensive piece of electronic equipment that of course any thief would be lucky to steal. 😂 The guy robbed a police officer's house a few days later, so they caught him. My parents never got anything back, unfortunately.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Old 06-05-2017, 10:53 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

YES, last year in May when "coincidentally" were in Portland, OR. Mind you, my mother was house sitting too. We figured it had to have happened when she went into town and when she returned, she startled the burglars because they were in our house. They took our Rug Doctor (that was by the garage door that goes into our house)...and the rest was taken out from the garage(s) (we have 2 remember). Stole chainsaws, lots of tools, air compressor, those expensive air wrenches.... Total loss was over $6K. If my mom hadn't come home, I'm sure they would've emptied our home taking our TVs, laptop(s), etc...ugh!
Old 06-06-2017, 07:57 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Years ago they broke into our car wich was in front of the house.stole the radio and cd's.
They broke in in 12 cars in the neighborhood that night
Old 06-06-2017, 09:19 AM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

While our trip to Spain in 2014 (after that never go to Spain anymore), we were two couples in one rental car driving towards to airport from our house with all our luggages in trunk. On the way we stopped in Benalmadina to have a rest for about 10 minutes (because our way was very long). After we came back to our car we found that all our bags gone - passports, money (about 7000euro), apple devises like iPads iPhones laptops), and all my professional camera kit (about 5000euro), and the rest. It was so terrible, I was crying, couldn't believe that happend. The one thing is that when we were going away from our car we saw one red car with some bags and the door opened, like someone was in a harry, but none of us could even think of that was our bags, all of them. In police we told them that we saw a car, but even after years nobody found nothing. We had really bad time cancelling all our father trips and making papers from embassies to fly back home. It was a big lesson not to leave anything valuable in car, never passports and never money, never expensive devices (about other staff I don't worry as much like clothes, shoes, make up....etc). So I hate Spane since then, because I think even police in this country work together with these groups of people.

Old 06-06-2017, 09:50 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Yes, our Mercedes was forced open en they removed the airbag from the steering wheel. The car was also searched but we never leave valuable items in the car so no harm done there. We are lucky since we have a lease car and everything was covered but still.......crazy experience for sure. And ofcourse in the 3 weeks that we were without security cameras...this happened. The police even told us that the criminals have a wish-list of car parts these days !!! They get paid more for certain parts than entire cars!
Old 06-06-2017, 10:06 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I've had a few bikes stolen as a kid. Had our dog stolen as a kid. Had a guy walk in our front porch door when we were kids, we think he was senile though.

As an adult. we've had our car broken into (diff/ ones) a few times. But not our house/apt so thankful for that.

Old 06-06-2017, 10:18 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

When I was a kid, a teen broke into my parents home. He had escaped from juvie and broke in my parents bedroom to use our phone. Things to take note... Juvie was like 40 miles away from our house... our house was a raised ranch, so how he managed to climb up a story and a half to get into their window. We had two dogs and for some odd reason, my mom had closed the bedroom door before we left for church. Also, my dad's wallet, car keys, watches, extra was just sitting there on the dresser, untouched. The only reason we knew that there was a break in was that the window screen was busted and the phone earpiece cord was wrapped around the phone - we always put the phone down with the cord on the left, NEVER wrapped it around... that stretched out the cord! haha.
Old 06-06-2017, 10:42 AM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

Years ago before going to work an ex and I use to go the lake and walk on the trails in the woods. Well one day I forgot to hid my purse in my car and someone smashed my windshield with a huge rock. I worked at a casino so I never took more than a few dollars to work with me so that's all I had in my purse besides my pictures and a few other things. Well I found all my pictures across the dam but the one of my grandfather who just passed away. I was so broken. Because I couldn't find that picture.

Last edited by brittbree; 06-06-2017 at 11:09 AM.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:26 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittbree View Post
Years ago before going to work an ex and I use to go the lake and walk on the trails in the woods. Well one day I forgot to hid my purse in my car and someone smashed my windshield with a huge rock. I worked at a casino so I never took more than a few dollars to work with me so that's all I had in my purse besides my pictures and a few other things. Well I found all my pictures across the dam but the one of my grandfather who just passed away. I was so broken. Because I couldn't find that picture.
We had someone smash our minivan window one night. There was nothing in it and we don't necessarily think they were even trying to rob it since they smashed the back window. Probably just teens messing around. I'm still not sure whether that makes me feel better or worse -- that they were just doing it for "fun" instead of having a purpose of stealing something.
Old 06-06-2017, 02:36 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I had my vehicle broken into while it was in my driveway one night, all they took was some change and cds. On an interesting note that was how we discovered our dog had gone completely deaf because he didn't alert us to someone in the driveway.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:03 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yep, in April while I was sleeping. Only just getting back to normal now.

Scrappy Instagram

Creative Team Member for The Lilypad & Studio Liv

Old 06-16-2017, 11:40 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Our garage was broken into twice, but never our home. The first time was right after our city was hit by a tornado. There was no damage to our house, but the whole area saw looting and someone walked off with a bicycle, a chain saw and a few small hand tools. We figured they must need them more than we do. The second time was at the same house. I had a cop come knock on my door to say that the neighbor called and said someone was looking in our windows. I was home alone with a small baby and it freaked me out pretty good! The garage door was standing wide open and the cops checked inside to be sure no one was in there before asking me to look and see if anything was missing. My husband's large Craftsman tool box was gone (one of the big tower ones) along with everything inside and many other tools. That is the same neighborhood where I went out to drive my husband to work early one morning (we only had one vehicle and I needed it that day) and a guy knocked on my window asking for a ride. He was obviously strung out. I was happy when we left that house behind.

We had an alarm system installed at our last house. Never an issue there though, and nothing was ever taken, even when the kids left things out by the curb.

Here we are so far out that no one would be driving by here unless they were intentionally going some place. The turn off to the lake is just down the road, but it is before our house so the only traffic that comes further down are people who live down here (total of 5 houses in the 2 miles past our house). I still lock the doors and vehicles, but don't worry about it much.
Old 06-16-2017, 12:51 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Here we are so far out that no one would be driving by here unless they were intentionally going some place. The turn off to the lake is just down the road, but it is before our house so the only traffic that comes further down are people who live down here (total of 5 houses in the 2 miles past our house). I still lock the doors and vehicles, but don't worry about it much.
My parents live on a farm in the country so they don't worry too much about theft either, except that they had their house painted recently and one of the workers stole a bunch of stuff out of their truck and garage. It was really upsetting for them.
Old 06-17-2017, 01:33 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Tronesia

Our first apartment together... we were robbed a couple of weeks before Thanksgiving when Aida was about 5 months old. I didn't feel good staying there after that. The craziest thing is that it was college kids...that our apartment manager said she would never rent to because of issues like that. :-\

Old 06-18-2017, 04:46 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My husband and I went to see a movie and when we got back our van side sliding door was open. When we looked inside everything was still there, our cd's, loose change, kids toys except...wait for it....my husband's bible!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Old 06-18-2017, 04:59 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsashbaugh View Post
My husband and I went to see a movie and when we got back our van side sliding door was open. When we looked inside everything was still there, our cd's, loose change, kids toys except...wait for it....my husband's bible!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
LOL. I'm shocked they aren't big bible readers!
Old 06-19-2017, 03:33 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to yari

Yes, not too long ago someone got into our car during the night while we were sleeping. Stole about $500 worth in gift cards which we had in the glove box for times we go out to eat, some of my fashion jewelry (meh), and my designer sunglasses which I loved. They left the inside of my car a mess and all the windows super dirty. Police tried doing finger printing and didn't come up with anything. I was pretty upset about it all. I always thought our neighborhood was super safe, but I guess no one is safe from theft.

Old 06-19-2017, 09:55 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

First time I went to Detroit, in the middle of the day, someone smashed our car window & stole a $100 GPS. We had to drive home with the kids in the car, busted out window on a chilly October day.