Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 10-12-2015, 09:23 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default The Holidays are coming >> Photo Help!

With the holidays coming up I thought I'd ask for a little photo help.

Yesterday we had our Thanksgiving Dinner.... I never know what to take for pictures on Thanksgiving except for the food. I completely bombed yesterday with taking photos... I think I got 1 of my middle son baking since he really wanted to help out this year, so I already blew changing my photo taking habit for Canadian Thanksgiving, thank goodness we get a second chance in November (gotta love being a duel country family ). I think in the 15 years of having my own family, I may have taken pictures 3 times on TG, and might have scrapped 1 page... I'd really like to at least start getting one TG in the books each year, rather than it be the "forgotten" holiday.

So what photos do you try and take on Thanksgiving? If you are like me and it's one of those "difficult to get photos" times, what kind of ideas do you come up with for photo-less pages?
Old 10-12-2015, 09:59 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

For photoless pages or with limited photos I try to include journaling about the event: who attended (if you have guests), what we are especially thankful for in the past year, fun story from the event to remember, loose timeline of Thanksgiving Day (time whoever got up to start the turkey to the time people left), family traditions of Thanksgiving.

For us it is watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade in the morning and A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving,. When I was young the tradition was we went to grandma's for an early meal before 2pm and then people would visit/watch football/nap/children play quietly/read the newspaper ads & plan Black Friday shopping, etc. and by the end of the day the Thanksgiving leftovers would be pulled out of the fridge for a small supper/turkey sandwiches. This is how our family celebrated Thanksgiving. There are ways your family celebrates that are unique to your family. Those are the kind of details that are nice to include in journaling, especially since some will remain and some will change over the years.

Last edited by scrap2day; 10-12-2015 at 10:03 AM.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:23 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Unless something unusual happens, I don't take any food photos at all. I try to get a photo of everyone there and then scrap a 'grateful' page.

There are not a whole lot of Thanksgiving Day pages in my albums, either, especially since we decorate my parents' house for Christmas that Friday or Saturday. I start my Countdown to Christmas album then so my mind is too preoccupied to take good Thanksgiving pics.
Old 10-12-2015, 11:13 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeAndra View Post
Unless something unusual happens, I don't take any food photos at all. I try to get a photo of everyone there and then scrap a 'grateful' page.

There are not a whole lot of Thanksgiving Day pages in my albums, either, especially since we decorate my parents' house for Christmas that Friday or Saturday. I start my Countdown to Christmas album then so my mind is too preoccupied to take good Thanksgiving pics.

I think that's my problem too.... with canadian thanksgiving I skip right over fall decorations and jump right in to halloween (since I love it so much I want to enjoy it for as long as I can), and with american thanksgiving we are already in Christmas mode.... so maybe that's it.... I skip right over the things that make it "feel" like a separate holiday (besides the food lol).

Fall is one of my favorite times of year, but it usually has the least amount of photos and need for pages... I think it's time to start getting these moments in the books! (plus there are so many cute fall/thanksgiving kits I'd love to have an excuse to buy and use LOL).

Thanks for the insight nd ideas so far.... keep em coming, I like hearing about how everyone celebrates and their stories on scrapping.