Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 09-18-2022, 11:19 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Mementos, artifacts

Ok...being digital everything is done on the computer. So, what do you do with the mementos? Napkin from a birthday party or wedding, tickets, maps, ribbons, awards etc...I hope that makes sense. I have a set of plastic drawers full of bits and pieces over the years...
Old 09-19-2022, 12:52 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Graduation announcements from my kids and grandkids, I save the cards they give me, too. I save lots of things - I have a "Memory Box" that I keep them in.

Old 09-19-2022, 01:58 AM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

I keep tickets, guide maps, tickets, etc. from our holiday travels.
For our kids, I keep their baby teeth, hospital records, school album and stuffs.
Old 09-19-2022, 04:34 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I photograph a lot of that kind of thing. It still looks great in the digital scrapbooks and isn't lost in some box in the garage.
Old 09-19-2022, 05:38 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Yes, me too--photograph them and use them on your pages. Or I scan them in sometimes, too.

Old 09-19-2022, 08:09 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I will take pictures of them and throw them away. I have a box of Momentos from high school, including ticket stubs and things from events that I went to, and I’ve literally looked through the box once in all of my adult life.
Old 09-19-2022, 09:53 AM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

Ditto to photographing or scanning. I found some things from my mom's childhood when cleaning out my basement. One was an assignment about her dreams for her future that she did when she was 13 years old. It was falling apart so I scanned it and recycled it. Learned a few things I never knew

Some things from my high school days are in the plastic tubs with my photos from back then. I intend to scan but haven't got around to it yet. But at least I know where they are.

More recent mementos get photographed or scanned right away and filed on the computer with the photos for the event.
Old 09-19-2022, 10:20 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Ok...I think I will get to scanning. LOL Some of the ribbons from swim meets and such I may just drop in a protector and put in front of the album. I like the idea of scanning and tossing! Bigger things like maps I can put in a folder too...those are fun to look at and keep. For example: Disney has changed a lot in 20 years. We went there on our honeymoon (album is a paper album, but I have a pocket in the back for maps.
Old 09-19-2022, 10:24 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Ok...show me some ideas for incorporating the clippings in your page, if you can. I have a binder that I have managed to scan of newspaper clippings and photos from hubby's high school track days. My amazing mother in law kept them all! I need to put it together in a cool book..This is one of them.

Old 09-19-2022, 01:30 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacinda View Post
I photograph a lot of that kind of thing. It still looks great in the digital scrapbooks and isn't lost in some box in the garage.
This is what I do, too.
Old 09-19-2022, 01:49 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberly27 View Post
Ok...I think I will get to scanning. LOL Some of the ribbons from swim meets and such I may just drop in a protector and put in front of the album. I like the idea of scanning and tossing! Bigger things like maps I can put in a folder too...those are fun to look at and keep. For example: Disney has changed a lot in 20 years. We went there on our honeymoon (album is a paper album, but I have a pocket in the back for maps.
I found a jpg online of a WDW map from 1971 that I included in my digital layouts of that trip. I was happy since I didn't have a map from then.

I have a lot of the booklets and other memorabilia from my cruise in a 12x12 pocket page at the back of my digital album (I do 12x12 prints and put them in CM albums).
Old 09-19-2022, 02:41 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberly27 View Post
Ok...show me some ideas for incorporating the clippings in your page, if you can. I have a binder that I have managed to scan of newspaper clippings and photos from hubby's high school track days. My amazing mother in law kept them all! I need to put it together in a cool book. This is one of them.

If there are a lot of them, I would just put them all in a single photobook and leave them large just like they are, so they take up the most room on the page and remain readable. I don't think I'd even worry about prettying them up. As long as they're documented I'd be happy.

Old 09-19-2022, 02:45 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I found an old tutorial from SSD about adding memorabilia to your digital pages:

Last edited by jacinda; 09-19-2022 at 02:49 PM.
Old 09-19-2022, 06:44 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Y'all rock!! Thanks!!
Old 09-20-2022, 04:06 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I have memory boxes for each family member, that catches all their important goodies. Stuff from our travels get kept until I have created the album or photo book and then thrown away.
Old 09-20-2022, 10:10 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I do a mix of things. Most items get photographed and tossed. A handful of things get photograped for the books but also saved. I have one medium-sized bin of the kids' artwork, and each of them has a bin in their closet with things that were special to them (or me) at various stages of their lives. A few things (baby announcements and handprints, for example) get framed and kept on the walls. Finally, some special memorabilia (for example, a few important trip items and holiday cards from our closest relatives) gets put into the albums. Back when I printed individual pages and put them in page protectors I used to put the memorabilia in a page protector, too. Now that I do all photobooks I sometimes put a PVC type of envelope inside the back cover with those few things.
Old 09-20-2022, 11:24 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

I put my layouts in page protectors in binders. For things like playbills, certificates, maps, etc.. I slip them into their own page protectors and then put the protector in the album before or after the appropriate layout.
Old 09-21-2022, 11:02 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Still working on the items I keep (they are in memory boxes or if they are for vacations, they are in bags). But, when my girls have graduated, I made them go through their school items, keep what they wanted, toss the rest. The ones they wanted to keep went into plastic sleeves and were displayed in 3 ring binders. Some of the girls created labels or put sticky notes on the pages telling why it was important. Some of them organized their items by Elementary School, Middle School, High School.

I should take notes from them and start displaying my mementos that way too! It would be easier to look at if I needed dates or info for scrapping, and it would keep nicer probably.
Old 09-21-2022, 10:52 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I usually scan them, and I have included them on pages before - here are a couple examples:

Scanned from yearbook:

From newspapers:
I found digital versions of newspapers I didn't keep, and used them here:

And another one with a bunch of the newspaper things featuring our family:

Old 09-22-2022, 01:45 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjscraps View Post
I usually scan them, and I have included them on pages before - here are a couple examples:
Awesome examples...love them. I am going to have to work on it. I have some solid ideas now.

Thanks!