Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 02-10-2020, 08:43 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default QOTD: 02/10 Entertainment

I've been binge watching lots of movies and tv shows lately....so today's question is.....

Can you recommend one book and/or TV show (or movie)? I love to hear recommendations.
Old 02-10-2020, 08:46 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I just finished The Silent Patient and really enjoyed it. It was a fairly fast read and had me hooked right until the end b/c I didn't figure out what the ending would be. Love books like that!

Movie-wise we recently saw Bombshell and we really liked it. Love the cast, the story and although not action packed, it was intriguing and kept us interested.

TV-wise, I just binged most of season 1 of The Unicorn. It's now one of my fave sitcoms!
Old 02-11-2020, 04:19 AM
Sugar Baby

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to heidi1472

Hi Rae! I'm not a reader so I can't comment on that but I do enjoy a good TV show. My son has hooked me on All American. I think my favorite binge was Prison Break a few years ago.
Old 02-11-2020, 08:57 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I just binge-watched all three seasons of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. Now to wait for the next season. Don't even know when that is. LOL!

Old 02-11-2020, 10:57 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh man, Im a nerd but Im binge watching Alaskan Bush People right now lol Its on Discovery.

I look a good thriller/mystery book. The last really good one I read was The Housekeeper by Natalie Barelli

movies... the last movie that shocked me at how good it was, was The Joker.
Old 02-11-2020, 11:14 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I haven't binge watched anything for a while ... currently reading The Phantom Prince: My Life with Ted Bundy on my Kindle.
Old 02-11-2020, 02:42 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Reading - don't do much of that, so no help there. I did see that Linda Lael Miller (western romance) has a new series coming out; which I may get for camping season.

TV - We are currently on a bunch of YouTuber/Podcast type things about hunting. There are a few we watch regularly and always end up down a rabbit hole.

Movies - It was kiddo weekend, so there were a lot of the classic Disney animated features played (which was a nice change). The hubs usually picks war/shootem' up movies, to which I either fall asleep or ignore completely.

Not really much help! lol
Old 02-11-2020, 11:45 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I am reading the best book, The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah. I am losing sleep because I don't want to put it down!

I enjoyed a Netflix mini series called Unbelievable - very good!
Old 02-12-2020, 12:35 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi1472 View Post
Hi Rae! I'm not a reader so I can't comment on that but I do enjoy a good TV show. My son has hooked me on All American. I think my favorite binge was Prison Break a few years ago.
Yes, I loved Prison Break too!
Old 02-12-2020, 12:36 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie1977 View Post
I just binge-watched all three seasons of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. Now to wait for the next season. Don't even know when that is. LOL!
I've seen the promos for that show and wondered if it was good. Might check it out sometime.
Old 02-12-2020, 12:37 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by icindi View Post
I am reading the best book, The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah. I am losing sleep because I don't want to put it down!

I enjoyed a Netflix mini series called Unbelievable - very good!
I read that too and it is a really good one!
Old 02-12-2020, 01:47 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Season 2 of "Shrill" (Hulu) dropped recently. Completely bingeable with only 14 eps between the 2 seasons. As a fat gurl, almost every ep makes me cry. "Special" on Netflix is worth a watch as well. Only one season & each ep is 15 minutes long so easy to binge. These are both CABLE shows (nudity, content, theme, etc.) so keep that in mind. "The Bold Type" (Hulu) is a light fun rom-com of three 20somethings in NYC working at a fashion magazine; it's how I imagine my life could have been if I had followed my dreams instead of getting married to my ex. "Dead to Me" on Netflix is great as well.

The second "Boys I've Loved Before" movie drops tomorrow on Netflix! Eeeek! I have watched the first one way more times than I should admit out loud considering my age.

Season 5 of "Outlander" starts this weekend. Those books are a COMMITMENT at hundreds and hundreds of pages each but I love them. I'm current on the TV show and up through book 6.
Old 02-12-2020, 08:45 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

I read the Giver of Stars this month and loved it!! I highly recommend it. Poldark on Amazon Masterpiece theatre is great I could binge watch that over and over. I also really enjoyed the Durells in Corfu on Masterpiece Theatre.
Old 02-12-2020, 08:47 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

OH yeah.... if you like action packed Jack Ryan on Prime is fantastic!!!
Old 02-12-2020, 10:01 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

My husband and I are watching House of Cards right now. As a family, we are making our way through Clone Wars.

Honestly- most of my watching is on Disney+ or Netflix these days.
Old 02-12-2020, 10:48 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

Outlander this weekend! Can't wait! (still hoping to see an Outlander themed kit in the store, hint hint! lol)

As for books, the one I think I've enjoyed most of all of the ones I have read in the last few years is by George RR Martin, who wrote the Game of Thrones books. This one is called "TUF Voyaging", it's quite a departure from the GOT series, but it is a wonderful mix of humour and adventure. In case you're wondering what it's about -

It's "a darkly comic meditation on environmentalism and absolute power". It stars the eponymous Haviland Tuf, a reclusive, phlegmatic, very eccentric chap with a great love of Spock Speak and a great distaste for pettiness. And he often finds his fellow man to be very, very petty. He wants nothing more than to fly around the universe in his cool Starship, The Ark, with his beloved cats and to make an honest living plying his trade.

Cats and space? What's not to love!
Old 02-13-2020, 11:17 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

sooooo.... my current obsession is The Expanse on Amazon Prime. I've already watched it all and have been rewatching when nothing else sounds good AND am currently reading the books it based on.

march challenge tracker | find me on instagram and pinterest | she/her
Old 02-13-2020, 12:42 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Last show I watched and absolutely LOVED was Virgin River on Netflix. Watched it for the 10 straight hours and was so sad when it was over.

Last couple books I've listened to I've had a hard time getting into, but Two I've listened to this year that I made it through super fast where
Someone We Know and The Tattooist of Auschwitz
Old 02-13-2020, 03:09 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Books.... currently reading A Discovery of Witches... so far so good! And for book club this year we are doing classics... this month Pride & Prejudge.... let's just say it's a good thing I'm doing that one on audio book while I walk...

TV... Love NCIS and SVU... I DVR those and then watch Criminal Minds on Netflix. We also watch Hawaii 5-0...my kids like it, so that we watch as a family.

I am currently re-watching season 4 of Outlander so I can be ready for season 5 on Sunday... (oh and supper excited to see others here like Outlander. I did read all the books, reread book one last month... can't wait for the new one!!!

And for movies... until last weekend I had never seen any of the Star Wars movies, so I finally watched the first three ( the 3 oldest ones released first)

Guest CT for Kristin Cronin-Barrow

Old 02-13-2020, 04:01 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by StacyLynn View Post
Books.... currently reading A Discovery of Witches... so far so good!
I loved The All Souls Trilogy. Have been tempted to reread.

I binge watched I Am A Murderer Season 2 on Netflix, very interesting. Recently finished the last season of Shameless and desperately waiting for the next season of RuPaul's Drag Race to start, I've watched all the seasons at least twice, lol.

Reading, I am hit and miss. Presently reading The Lady Elizabeth which is historical fiction about QE1 and it's ok, starting to drag on. Also reading Silent Child, about half way through that one, already have it figured out though.