Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2014, 06:36 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm
Default windows 8?

who here uses it and actually LIKES it?

because I think it's the worst thing on the planet I'm currently using kiddos laptop and it is DRIVING ME INSANE. it's also got a touch screen which I just hate. who wants disgusting finger prints on their laptop monitor???????

gag.
Old 01-11-2014, 06:43 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My oldest has a laptop with it and she gets so frustrated with it all the time. She asked to trade me and of course, I refused. lol
Old 01-11-2014, 06:44 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I do like it, it seems beautifully clean. That said, I'm on 7, because my laptop had a downgrade option and I am as conservative as my laptop producer (HP).

Old 01-11-2014, 06:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have Windows 8 and don't mind it. At first it super-annoyed me, but now I've got it set up to where I just go right to my desktop and it's just like every other windows product I've ever used. I deleted all the stupid apps (it's not a phone). I went from a slow computer to this super fast laptop so I put up with the annoying to get the speed. And now it doesn't bother me at all.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:03 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I can't say that I like it but I don't hate it anymore. Took a while to get used to though.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:16 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

I have it on my laptop with touch screen as well....I refuse to use the apps....I just go straight to the desktop and work from there....not a fan of it!
Old 01-11-2014, 07:28 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifilur View Post
I can't say that I like it but I don't hate it anymore. Took a while to get used to though.
^^ this

Old 01-11-2014, 07:33 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

My old laptop is dying, and my new Windows 8 laptop just arrived. I used our kids' Windows 8 computer before and after the 8.1 upgrade, and that helped a lot. But yeah, I'll be setting mine up to bypass the Start screen and run as much like Windows 7 as possible.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:08 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've had mine for almost a year, and yep, still hate it.

Old 01-11-2014, 08:46 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

I got a new laptop a couple of weeks ago - Windows 8...and have a Surface with Windows 8 RT since May. I guess I'm the exception because I really like Windows 8. Depending on what I'm doing, I either go right to the legacy desktop or I use the apps. The only real "issue" I have is that the Surface is a touchscreen but laptop isn't...and I forget that sometimes and start poking at the screen but nothing happens.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:26 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I hated it at first but I love it now and I like my touch screen
Old 01-11-2014, 10:15 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My IT boyfriend said NO to Windows 8 for me until he can't get Windows 7 anymore. And once I HAVE to switch to Windows 8, he's going to make it as close to Windows 7 as possible for me. I said I wouldn't mind trying it, but he said "Nope. Nope. You'll hate it. Just listen."

I'm taking his word for it. He knows me so well.

New Siggy Coming Soon
Old 01-11-2014, 10:42 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I. LOVE. IT.

I don't have atouch screen, so I can't comment on that, but I really, really like the start screen. I hate it when I have to run a program (like PSE) and get sent back to the boring old desktop. I just got mine yesterday, but I've had so much fun playing with it.

I think part of the reason I like it is that I started off with a good attitude because the laptop was only $330 at Office Depot, and I figured that for $330, I could learn to like Windows 8 And sure enough, I do!
Old 01-12-2014, 07:14 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I hate it it's not often I dislike something that much that I can describe it as hate but for this I do
Old 01-12-2014, 08:41 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I updated to 8.1 over the holidays and last night I discovered that I can go right to the desktop during start up, rather than the menu. Super excited.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:24 AM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

I came to Windows 8 from a Mac and I hadn't used Windows since 95. I think I had as good an attitude as I could have had. I knew it wasn't going to be like anything I knew and I was totally fine with that. I like learning new things and I don't mind dealing with some quirks. I gave Metro a good solid try before ditching it and going straight to legacy on login. Now it's fine.

I like the idea of the touch screen and the launch squares and all that, actually. It's just done poorly. There is, for example, no excuse for bringing up a touch screen keyboard, EVER, on a laptop. Why that is not only the default, but something quite convoluted to turn off, is beyond comprehension. But I did manage to turn it off, so I moved on.

Then there were things like Lastpass not being able to integrate with my browser because it's considered a separate app, and I had to switch back and forth every time I wanted to log in to a website. But I kept doing it, thinking, hey, I'll get used to it. And maybe I would have. But Chrome was crashing ALL. THE. TIME. in Metro. Works totally fine in legacy. With Lastpass integrated. Not to mention PS, LR, etc. only run in legacy so I have to go in there for that anyway. And Dropbox in Metro? Pointless. Totally pointless. But it does everything legacy. A lot of these gripes might go away eventually as developers catch up and write better apps for Metro. But I'll wait until that happens, thanks.

So now the only thing I don't like about Windows 8, really, is whenever it sends me back to Metro. I want to just turn it off completely.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:28 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKim View Post
I deleted all the stupid apps (it's not a phone). .
^^^ how did you do this????

I, too, hate it. I can't find anything....
Old 01-12-2014, 10:38 AM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

Hated it for our computer and reconfigured it so we could get Windows 7 back.

It may be great for smart phones and tablets, but not so great for computers (for us). I know Robin loves it, though.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:42 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

To uninstall an app, just right click on the app. It will put a checkmark in the corner and then along the bottom, you have an uninstall option. Whenever I get a new computer, the first thing I do is take off all the programs I'll never use, including trial security software, and then install my security software and my programs.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:09 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I love Windows 8. Mines not a touchscreen but I completely agree with you, I don't want my screen to be all dirty from finger prints and then try to make a layout (or edit a photo).
Old 01-12-2014, 11:24 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Those who hate windows 8, have you upgraded to 8.1? It lets you easily jump between app setting and the usual desktop.

I got laptop for Christmas and ONCE I GOT W8.1 installed, I like it so much better! I also LOVE the touch screen. It doesn't seem to get to fingerprinty.

Penny
Old 01-12-2014, 05:04 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

I still had windows XP until just a few weeks ago and I had a new pc for xmas and it obviously came with windows 8. I was dreading it as my father in law has said for the past 2 months- YOU WILL HATE IT!!!

However- I LOVE it. I did exactly the same- deleted all the apps from the start menu and mainly work from the desktop screen. But I have no complaints other than my external hd wont work with it- but I think its more of a fact my hd is failing

It was a big jump from XP to 8.1 but I am seriously loving it
Old 01-13-2014, 11:32 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifilur View Post
This is me! But I never use the touch screen - unless it's by accident and then I get irritated all over again!

Old 01-13-2014, 12:24 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorryfach View Post
Then there were things like Lastpass not being able to integrate with my browser because it's considered a separate app, and I had to switch back and forth every time I wanted to log in to a website. But I kept doing it, thinking, hey, I'll get used to it. And maybe I would have. But Chrome was crashing ALL. THE. TIME. in Metro. Works totally fine in legacy. With Lastpass integrated. Not to mention PS, LR, etc. only run in legacy so I have to go in there for that anyway. And Dropbox in Metro? Pointless. Totally pointless. But it does everything legacy. A lot of these gripes might go away eventually as developers catch up and write better apps for Metro. But I'll wait until that happens, thanks.
Chrome has been crashing all the time for me on Windows 7. Maybe it's a chrome issue.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:20 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I turned on my new computer for the first time today, and HP has already set it up so that it bypasses the start screen and goes straight to the desktop. I wonder how many angry calls and emails it took about Windows 8 before they made that decision, LOL. After playing with it all for a few hours and doing a few tutorials I think I'll get used to it and maybe eventually even like it better, but I'm not there yet.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:30 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I have it. I dislike it.
Old 01-14-2014, 04:20 AM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by glumirk View Post
Chrome has been crashing all the time for me on Windows 7. Maybe it's a chrome issue.
Well, the fact that it crashes in Metro is a Chrome issue, but it works fine in legacy and I had so many other problems with Metro or apps in Metro that it doesn't really matter to me whose issue that one thing is. It's not worth it for me to ever go into that mode if everything about it is worse! Strange that it's crashing all the time for you in 7 since I thought legacy was basically the same as 7 and it's working fine for me there. Computers. They are weird and complicated.