Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 08-06-2010, 05:22 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default How do you decide what to get off your wishlist?

I've been going through the store all week putting all sorts of goodies on my wishlist and I've realized that it's going to be loooong. I'm really looking forward to my first SR coupon and I'm wondering what the best way is to decide what to get this month. I don't want to get more kits than I can reasonably use in a month or so, but I don't know exactly what pictures I'll feel like scrapping either.

I'd love to know how you all do it. TIA for the ideas!
Old 08-06-2010, 05:41 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Well... I'm probably not the best person since I have scads of kits that are in my "to scrap folder"... but usually the kits I get with SR are: I have photos for those right now that I can scrap (have photos, yes... scrap with those photos during the month, no... )... and then there are those others where I just have to give them a good home. LOL!!!
Old 08-06-2010, 05:41 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

I usually have an idea on what I want to buy based on the portfolio challenges and I would suggest setting yourself a $ limit and then kinda stick with it other than that my WL just keeps growing!!!!
Old 08-06-2010, 05:52 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun69 View Post
I usually have an idea on what I want to buy based on the portfolio challenges and I would suggest setting yourself a $ limit and then kinda stick with it other than that my WL just keeps growing!!!!
That's sort of what I'm doing. I am going through the August portfolio tasks, choosing what I want to do, then looking to see if I already have a kit for it, or if I need to get one.

Old 08-06-2010, 05:52 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
...and then there are those others where I just have to give them a good home. LOL!!!
LOL, I have too many kits that I've done that with over the years and I'm really trying to avoid doing it any more!
Old 08-06-2010, 05:54 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelsMomJo View Post
That's sort of what I'm doing. I am going through the August portfolio tasks, choosing what I want to do, then looking to see if I already have a kit for it, or if I need to get one.
That's what I was thinking about doing, too. Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to take a really good look at the portfolio yet and really plan anything out. My hubby coming back from his deployment on Monday really kinda limited my computer/scrapping time this week!
Old 08-06-2010, 06:01 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

This month I have set myself a generous budget and plan to buy as much as I can get for it.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:04 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayaandjudah View Post
This month I have set myself a generous budget and plan to buy as much as I can get for it.
I like that idea, too!
Old 08-06-2010, 06:16 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I honestly have so much I dont really **NEED** anything but when I have a few dollars spending money to shop I set a budget of how much I have to spend and then just put what I really want in my cart (this month it was up to 168 dollars LOL. I narrowed that down to 56 dollars give or take a dollar or two and after I apply my SR code next week I should be down to like 45 dollars) It would be a little more but I am missing like 2 or 3 points to get the next discount up.

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 08-06-2010, 06:19 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

usually the kit that really really catches my eye and then a couple kits to match some current photos
Old 08-06-2010, 06:21 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to pewtertm

I generally have a certain amount I can spend (not much), and my wish list is HUGE. So I try to get at least one New Release (for those NR points LOL), and then some things from my wish list that I have (or very soon will have) photos for.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:23 PM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

I try (not very successfully) to add kits to my WL that I can reasonable envisage using. So when, the inspiration, the correct pics and journaling all gel together, thats the month I get the kit. Compiling and mainaining my w/l is actually quite complicated but I have worked out a way to keep it short(er). But thats a story for another day
Old 08-06-2010, 06:49 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I set my limit to $1 / % (ie $40/40% off, $20/20%off), then I got through my WL and decide what I have photos for now, & then what events are coming up that I know I'll have photos at (ie: county fair, birthdays, holidays).

I usually have to pair the list back once I put everything in my cart.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:52 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayaandjudah View Post
Old 08-06-2010, 07:08 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

I used to just buy everything I wanted LOL. Solved that problem!
Old 08-06-2010, 07:57 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I set myself a dollar limit (usually, what I can afford, ranging from $10-$30). Then I just pick ones that I know I have photos for OR, if I don't have any specifically themed photos, I choose the one that is most calling my name.

Any leftover money from my budget, I buy cheaper goodies like stitching packs or frames or anything else I want, since many of those kind of go with everything, and they're great for using up that last little 1 or 2 dollars I gave myself that a full kit may cost more than!

Or, sometimes I just buy the first one that jumps out.

I usually deliberate for a loooong time... I open up all the kits that jump out to me at first, and all the kits I have photos for. Then, I close ones that I could live without for another month. Then, I close the ones that I can only envision using for one or two layouts at the moment (that I don't have enough pictures for, or enough pictureless layouts that I could justify using it for, etc). By then, I'm usually narrowed down ALMOST to my budget, so I just flip through them until one or two jump out!

New Siggy Coming Soon
Old 08-06-2010, 09:57 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I am a tight shopper. Clutter and waste both make me unhappy, whether they are in my living room or on my computer. So I ask myself if I love the kit enough to actually scrap with it. Most of the time, I realize that I may like the way it looks but I don't actually feel excited about scrapping with it.

In my whole life, I have only NOT bought ONE kit that I've ever regretted not buying. ONE. If you are just starting out, I SO recommend starting out with self control so that you don't end up with a ton of unused kits and a whole bunch of guilt!
Old 08-06-2010, 10:19 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsgirl View Post
I am a tight shopper. Clutter and waste both make me unhappy, whether they are in my living room or on my computer. So I ask myself if I love the kit enough to actually scrap with it. Most of the time, I realize that I may like the way it looks but I don't actually feel excited about scrapping with it.

In my whole life, I have only NOT bought ONE kit that I've ever regretted not buying. ONE. If you are just starting out, I SO recommend starting out with self control so that you don't end up with a ton of unused kits and a whole bunch of guilt!
LOL, I'll need self-control because I just counted 152 kits on my wish list.

In all fairness, I don't want to get all of them, or even most of them... that's really my "first cut" going through the store. I think I put three baseball kits in there and will probably only want one to scrap all my baseball layouts. There are many other examples like that, too.

I have a LOT of clutter on my hard drive right now and many layouts that I'm really not happy with. I have tended to not use a kit on more than one layout, but I'm determined to change that.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:31 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I pick kits based on pictures that I want to scrap and on the portfolio challenges. And I have boys so if I find a boy kit that I cant live without the I have to get it!
Old 08-06-2010, 10:34 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfiemountiewife View Post
this

Old 08-06-2010, 11:05 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

My wish list totals around $200 and I add to it almost every single week. Generally, I set myself a budget and go through my wish list and ask myself what I absolutely HAVE to have RIGHT NOW. Add those to my cart. If I'm over budget, I pare back, if I'm under budget, I go back and add smaller things like fonts or alphas or stitching packs.

Old 08-07-2010, 01:03 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathergw View Post
usually the kit that really really catches my eye and then a couple kits to match some current photos
^ditto

march challenge tracker | find me on instagram and pinterest | she/her
Old 08-07-2010, 04:19 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfiemountiewife View Post

I did that a few months ago in fact when I got the full SR's, my poor wish list got emptied and hasn't been built back up yet, lol!!
Old 08-07-2010, 08:43 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

When buying things off of my wish list I only buy the kits that I can scrap with right away. If its going to sit in my "Bought - To Be Used" folder for more then a couple of days then its not worth it.

I also go through my wishlist every two weeks to make sure that what I actually wishlisted I still want. Every time I go through it I remove at least two kits because after looking at again I know I won't use them more then once or that I found a different kit that works better with my photo(s).
Old 08-07-2010, 10:31 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to kscwgirl

I don't add a ton to my WL, (except for Traci. Damn that girl. ) So generally I clean it out every month. if for some reason I'm over whatever I have to spend then I make Meg and Laura pick stuff to delete.