Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 12-13-2015, 03:31 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default Christmas gifts for men

This is always my hardest decision at Christmas. What to get my husband. He has all the tools, DVDs and electronics he wants/needs already. He's a perfectionist too, so most times would rather buy his own stuff, then he gets the exact specifications he wants. This makes it super hard to buy gifts for him. I have asked him outright what he wants, but he never gives me a straight answer.
I have bought him a metal sign for his garage workshop door. It says "TOOL RULES. Don't: Touch them, borrow them, move them, even look at them." Ha! It's perfect, but it's only a gag gift. I need something else.

So... help me out here - what are you getting your significant other? And what suggestions do you have for a hard to buy for male?

Last edited by jacinda; 12-13-2015 at 03:35 PM.
Old 12-13-2015, 03:45 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I know what you mean! My husband is currently intrigued by those smartwatches like apple watch and Motorola's moto 360. Previous years I got him everyday carry stuff like Fenix flashlight (I got a pocket sized one and it's awesome!), folding knives, pocket knives, etc. Those were a huge hit.
--
Mama to Albert
Old 12-13-2015, 04:06 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Mine is SUPER hard to buy for also. He likes to pick out his own things and he's so simple that he doesn't like/need all those little things. The stuff that he would really like costs an arm and a leg and I'd never spend that kind of money w/o his input anyway.

I think I did good this year with a 4 pack of tickets for all-day paintball. He hasn't played since before we were married and he always speaks so fondly of it. I hope it will help him get out and have some fun because he's always so over-worked.

Can you think of any non-material thing like that for him?
Old 12-13-2015, 05:10 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Sean is such an easy going guy but he can be hard to buy for because while he likes everything, he doesn't use it. For years I'd buy stuff and he would ooh and aah over it and then put it in a pile on Christmas day. I'd move that pile around for months before he finally decided to do something with it. Sometimes he'd never get around to actually using what it was that we got him.... even if it was something quite useful. He has everything he needs for his hobbies. He works ALL THE DANG TIME so he doesn't have time to for anything else and I just never really know. Pajamas? Socks?

Anyway, this year it looks like he's getting a house (farm) for Christmas. We won't close until the end of January, but I figured I'd get him something for the new place. There is a wood burning fireplace so I thought a set of fireplace tools would be a good place to start. We'll need them anyway down the road. Maybe a sign for his garage too.

My husband used to collect mallard duck stuff. The past few places we've lived we have had no place to display them. We almost got rid of them all. I decided that the family room in the new house, the room with the fireplace, will be the place for his duck stuff. I might get him a little something to go with that collection and let him know we will be putting the other stuff on display when we move. Of course, we still have a home inspection to go through so this isn't a done deal, but we don't anticipate issues.
Old 12-13-2015, 05:22 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

Mine has tons of tools too so I normally get him something he can do with his tools. He likes to make pens on his lathe so this year I got him some blanks and pen kits and also a couple of different things like a kaleidoscope kit and a LED flashlight kit. He also has been borrowing my sleeping bag so I got him the manly version of mine (mine's hot pink LOL). He also loves playing D&D with the boys so I got him a couple of new books.
Old 12-13-2015, 05:24 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I don't usually buy my husband Christmas gifts but my mother, MIL, and sister buy him pajama pants/teeshirts/other accessories that have his alma mater on them, coffeeelated items (he drinks several cups a day), small tools to keep in his car and/or that can be clipped onto his keys, and then everyday things that he has a tendency to lose or use all up: toiletries, styluses for his phone, clip-on sunglasses, gloves, socks & underwear, etc. He has also gotten Starbucks and gas gift cards in the past as well.
Old 12-13-2015, 05:55 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I make my husband list of couple of things and I watch what he looks at on the computer (since we both have laptops on the couch). This year he wanted new Ariat boots and a motor for some tool (not sure what it was for but he told me the exact one so I am sure he knows it is coming).

I agree that tools are hard for a man since they know more about whether it works or not but I believe men do not mind getting everyday items (new garage door opener or pressure washer) as much as we women do.
Old 12-13-2015, 07:01 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

This year Aaron is getting a bicycle! A Six Three Zero cruiser 3 speed. I'm so excited! He's getting me one, too. He's also mentioned Google Cardboard, so I got him one of those with an elastic head strap. I got us tickets to see a concert, too. So that counts as a gift. And lastly he gets bunches of goodies in his stocking. He loves cigars but doesn't smoke... just the ones I put in his stocking. It's a treat for him, so I do it every Christmas.

Old 12-13-2015, 07:23 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Generally my husband will ask for a book or two, a piece of clothing (usually sports-team related), and some sort smaller item -- in the past its been stuff like hats, book light, etc.

I will also pick him up a few sweaters or long sleeve t-shirts and try to find something special - like a book I know he'll love or a hard-to-find DVD. Last year I gave him an custom-made leather bookmark from etsy -- it was his favourite gift and it was really inexpensive.
Old 12-13-2015, 07:47 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I don't even try to think of anything for mine anymore... today I just went and bought him a gift card that he can use at any of a number of stores. He can decide himself what to buy.
Old 12-13-2015, 09:32 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Brian and I usually fill stockings and then we give each other money. It's become tradition to go shopping the next day to spend it.

This year though, I'd love to get him a Xbox One. I'm hoping to take the girls tomorrow to pick it up. I'll get him an extra controller so someone can play with him. He wants it so bad but isn't expecting it. I'm excited.

Guys are hard. I have to listen very carefully and then am still stressed out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-13-2015, 10:05 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by anelia View Post
I know what you mean! My husband is currently intrigued by those smartwatches like apple watch and Motorola's moto 360. Previous years I got him everyday carry stuff like Fenix flashlight (I got a pocket sized one and it's awesome!), folding knives, pocket knives, etc. Those were a huge hit.
My husband just got a new watch a few months ago (again, something he chose himself), and he's military, so he has all the knives and torches he needs.
Old 12-13-2015, 10:10 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valgal View Post
Mine is SUPER hard to buy for also. He likes to pick out his own things and he's so simple that he doesn't like/need all those little things. The stuff that he would really like costs an arm and a leg and I'd never spend that kind of money w/o his input anyway.
This is my hubby exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valgal View Post
I think I did good this year with a 4 pack of tickets for all-day paintball. Can you think of any non-material thing like that for him?
I thought maybe movie tickets. Being military, he works a LOT, so when he IS home, he just likes to potter around the house and watch sport. He like doing family activities of course, but that's a family gift, not a specific gift for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherri Tierney View Post
Sean is such an easy going guy but he can be hard to buy for because while he likes everything, he doesn't use it. For years I'd buy stuff and he would ooh and aah over it and then put it in a pile on Christmas day. I'd move that pile around for months before he finally decided to do something with it. Sometimes he'd never get around to actually using what it was that we got him.... even if it was something quite useful. He has everything he needs for his hobbies. He works ALL THE DANG TIME so he doesn't have time to for anything else and I just never really know.
I can't tell you how many times this has happened to us. I buy what I think is a cool gift. He loves it, but it sits there unused for the rest of the year. Drives me crazy.

Last edited by jacinda; 12-13-2015 at 10:19 PM.
Old 12-13-2015, 10:17 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I think one of the things that makes it so difficult, is I'm buying his gift with HIS money. LOL! I only work part time for a pittance really, and our money goes into a joint account.
Old 12-13-2015, 10:43 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I'm in the same boat. DH never tells me anything he wants, even when I ask. Anything he really wants he buys himself long before any gift-giving occasion. His hobbies are reading, watching sports on tv, and using his ipad. For books the best I could do would be to give him a gift card for when he decides what he wants to read next. Personally, I LOVE when DH gives me book/scrapping/electronics gift cards, but he doesn't like getting them as much. His favorite teams are 9 hours away so I can't get him tickets, and he doesn't do much through his ipad that costs $ so that's out, too. I think what he'd like most is for me and the kids to go away for a weekend and leave him home to relax! He'll probably get that when school gets out in June, but I doubt I'll be able to make it happen a 2nd time closer to his birthday.

This year I know he wants a new tv, but I'm sure he wants to pick it out himself and spend a lot more than I'd spend on a gift for him. I'm glad we only do holiday gifts for the kids; DH's birthday is in early January, so I'd never be able to find him 2 good presents so close together!

Last edited by rach3975; 12-13-2015 at 10:45 PM.
Old 12-13-2015, 10:45 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacinda View Post
I think one of the things that makes it so difficult, is I'm buying his gift with HIS money. LOL! I only work part time for a pittance really, and our money goes into a joint account.
YES!! I'm a SAHM and that's how I feel too. And he knows how much is there and what goes to bills. He knows, just like I know and we're both hard to shop for.
Old 12-14-2015, 01:25 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I've been dropping hints and outright telling him what to get me for Christmas, so he's all sorted in that regard. I did find this paperweight for his work desk today:

Old 12-14-2015, 01:36 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My hubby loves it when I buy him things so he doesn't have to buy them himself. Socks, handkerchiefs, jeans (his fave brand/style in his size), etc. I'm also buying him a tool box this year because he keeps leaving his tools everywhere and losing them (inluding mine which have their own boxes/places)
Old 12-15-2015, 02:00 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

What about a grownup getaway for the two of you? Even an overnight with someone to watch your kids all pre-arranged.
Old 12-15-2015, 02:34 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrap2day View Post
What about a grownup getaway for the two of you? Even an overnight with someone to watch your kids all pre-arranged.
Hmm...that's actually a great idea. Trouble is, figuring out how/when to fit it into our already full calendar. I might have to save it for our anniversary in April.
Old 12-15-2015, 04:45 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

mine is really easy to buy for... but seriously. that man has everything under the sun and anything he doesn't already own has an outrageous price tag attached to it.

this year I picked him up a few odds and ends to go along with some new lounger/pajama bottoms, a couple of sweaters, new dress shoes, and a new set of pots and pans he's been ogling.
Old 12-16-2015, 08:01 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jak View Post
I don't even try to think of anything for mine anymore... today I just went and bought him a gift card that he can use at any of a number of stores. He can decide himself what to buy.
Thats exactly what I do for my uncle - he's too hard to buy for otherwise

Sent from my SM-G318H using Tapatalk

Scrappy Instagram

Creative Team Member for The Lilypad & Studio Liv