Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 04-11-2020, 04:46 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm
Default Gender representation in kits

I've thought very hard whether to post this or not, but I've wanted to raise this point for a while now, and it's really come to a head this week.
I'm beyond grateful for all the medical-themed kits that have cropped up in the shop recently! As a healthcare professional, it's always been difficult to scrap about work, in part because of lack of kits that were specific enough to what I do. There are now many more options, and I'm loving it.

What I do find difficult, though, is that there is often an assumption in those kits that doctors are male and nurses are women. As a female physician who works in the operating rooms, where there is probably a greater than average concentration of male nurses, I'm feeling left out. I also wonder what message it sends to our children when seeing layouts where by default and lack of other option, the "doctor" is the guy, and the "nurse" is the girl. I admit I'm disappointed to see the stereotypes are still so vastly represented.

To give you an idea, women accounted for 65% of my medical school class, and for 75% of my anesthesia training. I am far from an exception! Just food for thought!

Stepping off my soapbox now. I really am loving all those kits , I just wish there were more women doctors and male nurses in them!
Old 04-11-2020, 05:35 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I think you need to check out LJS's brand new Heath Care Heroes kit. In the cards, she has a female doctor and a male nurse as the examples.

I understand you though, I work a traditional "male" job.
Old 04-11-2020, 06:30 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I think you'll really love Lorie's newest kit as she has both genders for both doctors and nurses! I was quite impressed at her detail and thoughtfulness for both roles of a doctor and a nurse

Here is a screengrab of the journal cards within her newest release

I can't speak for the other medical field products out there, but I know Lorie did a stellar job with this collection
Old 04-11-2020, 09:04 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Thanks for pointing out my kit, Mari and Wendy. I agree that anyone, male or female, can be anything they want to be, so I definitely wanted to represent that in Healthcare Heroes.

Gen, in the future, please speak up if you see something that we designers could do better. Believe it or not, we are always looking for that kind of feedback from our community. Each and every one of us want to create kits that you can scrap your memories with.
Old 04-11-2020, 09:27 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Totally agreed! In my field (Dentistry) it's the Male Dentist, Female Hygienist. While there are FAR more women dentists than male hygienists or assistants these days, the misrepresentations are there & frustrating! In my dental hygiene school- 2 out of 32 were male.

I too LOVE Lorie's new kit with all the gender options. She's so great!
Old 04-11-2020, 09:38 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm glad you said something!! ... and I love that Lorie's kit celebrates all both men and women!
Old 04-12-2020, 04:01 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I totally agree with everyone who has already commented. Good that you said something about it (I know the SSD designers really appreciate feedback like yours so they can improve their designs) and so happy to see that Lorie has already represents male/female in the care field.
Old 04-12-2020, 06:00 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I nearly cried when I saw LJS's kit and the doctor was a woman! Thanks Lorie! It means the world to female physicians and any girl who might encounter this kit. You're amazing!